Real Science Friday: Bergman, Bats and Bellybuttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukia

Alate: Your patience with Stripe continues to amaze me. I can understand ignorance and understand agression, but I have difficulty with agressive ignorance as displayed by Stripe.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He stated that something NOBODY with any sense actually believes, is believed by a large number of people. Why would I agree with that? It is MORONIC. Do you not get this, Stripe? Or do you need to have one of those little sit down and thinks?

So he was right, right? That sort of thing can't happen, right?

So for the low low price of 24.99 I could see if Bob actually wasn't a complete failure in said debate? If you're truly proud of this, why not post the transcript?
And not get the $24.99? I don't think so. :chuckle:

Bob has never answered any of the challenges I have posted about his "Wrong Science Friday" segments. Everything he's posted is ignorant supposition after moronic statement. Why should I believe he magically "got better" with Ms. Scott? Why should PZ Myers want to waste time on him?
Why do you?

Alate: Your patience with Stripe continues to amaze me. I can understand ignorance and understand agression, but I have difficulty with agressive ignorance as displayed by Stripe.
You should see her when she's unburdened. :D

Jukia

Certainly sounds like something a creation scientist should do some experiments on.
Sorry, creation scientist is an oxymoron and using the term in the same sentence as experiments is clearly bad form.

Alate_One

Uhh sure it can, but it's like you're celebrating Bob knowing which end of the scissors to hold and which end cut. You want me to cheer for him like he's two years old and just figured it out? :rotfl: Should I give him a nice cherry lollipop as a reward?

And not get the $24.99? I don't think so. :chuckle:
The only people that will pay for it are the ones that will believe Bob won no matter what. But to the rest of us it just looks like Bob isn't actually interested in discrediting evolution, just making money off of those that already think it is.

Why do you?
I derive entertainment from it . . .for some strange reason. But I'm well aware he's not going to be convinced by anything anyone says, because that's the nature of fundamentalism: Stick to your dogma no matter what the facts may be.

But hey there are people other than fundamentalists like you and Bob that read these forums. Better to have a voice of sanity in the mix than the relentless dribble of smiley faces and nonsense alone. ;)

One Eyed Jack

No "evolutionist" in a century has promoted anything remotely resembling what Enyart said

Darwin died back in 1882, didn't he?

. . I think even Darwin himself would have balked.

At what, specifically?

Fact is Darwin didn't know anything about how heredity worked.

So why would he have balked?

We do now and its incorporated into the modern synthesis. You people do know that there's been a lot of refinement and knowledge gained since Darwin, right? :hammer:

Of course. Then again, I'm not the one who had a problem conceding he was wrong about something.

GuySmiley

So evolutionists don't believe that patterns could form on skin that could be more attractive to the opposite sex of a species? Interesting. Does this only apply to humans though? Wow, I thought I heard somewhere that color patterns on some animals make them more attractive to the opposite sex. Either thats wrong, or God did it, cause I just found out that's a limitation of evolution.

Next time someone talks about a 'kind' not being able to turn into another 'kind' and an evolutionist asks where you think the limitation of evolution is, now we have some common ground. Patterns cannot evolve on skin to attract the opposite sex.

Jukia

So evolutionists don't believe that patterns could form on skin that could be more attractive to the opposite sex of a species? Interesting. Does this only apply to humans though? Wow, I thought I heard somewhere that color patterns on some animals make them more attractive to the opposite sex. Either thats wrong, or God did it, cause I just found out that's a limitation of evolution.

Next time someone talks about a 'kind' not being able to turn into another 'kind' and an evolutionist asks where you think the limitation of evolution is, now we have some common ground. Patterns cannot evolve on skin to attract the opposite sex.

I don't think that is what Pastor Bob was suggesting however.

Alate_One

Darwin died back in 1882, didn't he?
Yeah.

So why would he have balked?
Tattoos being inherited is just plain stupid. Inheriting increased muscle mass or something might almost make sense in the total absence of understanding of genetics, but replicating complex art on someone's skin? Riiight. :dizzy:

Of course. Then again, I'm not the one having a problem admitting he was wrong about something.
As Jukia said, quite the opposite. Darwin has a lot of essentials right but he certainly was not right about everything.

It seems like creationists are the ones that want to insist if Darwin was wrong about something that somehow modern evolutionary theory is somehow compromised . . . . far from it in the perspective of science.

Darwin isn't worshiped by anyone. Really what he came up with was rather obvious. He wasn't that smart, he just happened to be in the right place at the right time and confronted with the right evidence.

Jukia

All we need is one guy born with a harley logo on his forearm, by accident. Women would love that. Of course its not a literal tattoo, yes.

I think Pastor Bob was suggesting that tatoos would be inheritable.

Not sure most of the women I know would be too excited about a Harley logo. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Jukia

It seems like creationists are the ones that want to insist if Darwin was wrong about something that somehow modern evolutionary theory is somehow compromised . . . . far from it in the perspective of science.

Creationists have so much trouble with change

One Eyed Jack

I don't think Alate was suggesting Darwin was not wrong about something, quite the opposite.

You must have missed her first response towards me. She switched gears to damage control mode when I hit her with something she couldn't refute.

GuySmiley

I think Pastor Bob was suggesting that tatoos would be inheritable.

Not sure most of the women I know would be too excited about a Harley logo. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
It would be a new branch of species, homo . . . help me out here :chuckle: Heck, it practically already is.

Alate_One

I think you're a bit confused here. Its not that physical attributes that are attractive to the opposite sex cannot be selected for, they CAN be and very much so. This is the reason for many "elaborations" on males in many species, possibly in humans as well.

The problem is tattoos are non-inheritable and therefore cannot be subject to natural selection.

If you had a pattern that was inheritable and attractive it could become more common in the population. But tattoos are not simply "patterns on the skin" They are complex art figures put there by humans. By definition a tattoo is non-inheritable.

Alate_One

You must have missed her first response towards me. She switched gears to damage control mode when I hit her with something she couldn't refute.
You must be misreading something . . . . there's never EVER been a problem with Darwin being plenty wrong about certain subjects. You're the one that made the assumption that if Darwin thought something it must somehow be right or part of modern evolutionary theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.