‘Liberal elitist’ rips Gatlinburg fire victims as ‘Trump-suckin pond scum’ — and pays

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
‘Liberal elitist’ rips Gatlinburg fire victims as ‘Trump-suckin pond scum’ — and pays bigly for it

For some reason an Alabama man thought it was wise move to post a hateful rant on Facebook about Gatlinburg and the victims of the deadly Tennessee wildfire.

According to AL.com, Coleman Bonner wrote:

“Funny story. I was recently in Gatlinburg. Had a terrible time, I felt that the place was a cesspool of consumerism and a bastion of the worst aspects of southern culture. Turns out a wildfire just burned most of the town to the ground. Good riddance, Gatlinburg. And good luck, you mouth-breathing, toothless, diabetic, cousin-humpin, Mountain Dew-chuggin, Moon Pie-munchin, Pall Mall-smokin, Trump-suckin pond scum.”

#ColemanBonner The #1 POS of the week!!!! Thinks the #gatlinburgfire and loss of life and property is funny. #Gatlinburg #SmokyMtWildfires pic.twitter.com/s4igZ3R0kN

— GaryWatlington ���� (@G_Watt73) December 5, 2016

Bonner ended his screed with, “(Chuckles, and smiles like the smarmy liberal elitist I am.)”

But here’s a funnier story: Bonner’s employer, Express Oil Change and Tire Engineers, started getting outraged messages about his Facebook post, AL.com reported.

Then after “fully and thoroughly” investigating the situation, Express Oil Change told the outlet Coleman is no longer an employee.

“We are absolutely disgusted at what was posted, and want to emphasize that a person of this character does not represent who we are as a company,” the company noted in a statement, AL.com said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by the fires throughout the East Tennessee region, along with communities that were affected throughout the Southeast due to the recent drought.”

Express Oil Change added its “sincerest apologies that remarks like this were made, and we were astonished at the lack of care Coleman expressed throughout his comments,” the outlet said.

AL.com reported that it reached out to Bonner without success but noted that his Facebook and Twitter profiles have been deleted.

What’s more, social media users tweeted Bonner’s image to the FBI and law enforcement wondering if he could have been involved in the fire, which is believed to have been started by humans, AL.com added. However, no suspect in the fire has been identified, the outlet said.

A week ago on Monday, hurricane-force winds whipped up fires that killed 14 people and damaged or destroyed more than 1,750 buildings in the Great Smoky Mountains tourist region, the Associated Press reported.

Heres the guy and his post:

Coleman%20bonner.JPG

Do you think he should have been fired for his own time opinion?

kiwimacahau

You do realise that freedom of speech includes speech you don't personally have to like?

Sent from my SM-A500Y using Tapatalk

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You do realise that freedom of speech includes speech you don't personally have to like?

Are you saying you disagree with him being fired from his job for what he said? Why do you disagree with that, but agree with christians being fired for what they believe and say, whats the difference?

Are only liberals entitled to free speech?

Greg Jennings

Are you saying you disagree with him being fired from his job for what he said? Why do you disagree with that, but agree with christians being fired for what they believe and say, whats the difference?

If somehow this was costing his employer business then it's fine. Or if it created a hostile work environment. But otherwise, you are supposed to be allowed to express your opinion, no matter how stupid or wrong it is

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If somehow this was costing his employer business then it's fine. Or if it created a hostile work environment. But otherwise, you are supposed to be allowed to express your opinion, no matter how stupid or wrong it is

Define hostile work environment. Couldnt anyone with a different view claim thats happening?

Greg Jennings

Define hostile work environment. Couldnt anyone with a different view claim thats happening?

I mean that he is so heavily disliked by all of his coworkers that it is affecting the work that gets done. And yes, anyone can claim that. I assume that the validity of the claim is something HR determines

kiwimacahau

I mean that he is so heavily disliked by all of his coworkers that it is affecting the work that gets done. And yes, anyone can claim that. I assume that the validity of the claim is something HR determines
Indeed it is and normally it's a long process unless it is blatant.

kiwimacahau

Where did anyone mention Christians or only liberals? I thought my statement quite clear.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Where did anyone mention Christians or only liberals? I thought my statement quite clear.

Then someone should be able to do this, and not face firing or anything else because of free speech right?

Mozilla CEO resignation raises free-speech issues

You know the guy forced to resign over his stance on gay marriage.

Didnt he have a right to free speech too? Or just speech you agree with?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
‘Liberal elitist’ rips Gatlinburg fire victims as ‘Trump-suckin pond scum’ — and pays bigly for it

Heres the guy and his post:

Coleman%20bonner.JPG

Do you think he should have been fired for his own time opinion?

Saying "should" is strong but I definitely don't have any issue with it. I don't think this is a simple case of having a religious or political viewpoint. It's a blatant callousness about the loss of life, homes, etc. Calling that being fired for an opinion seems to be watering it down.

Daniel1769

Why do whiny idiots run to a person's employer every time they say something they don't like? The kid is an idiot. Why do people need to run to the employer and make sure he can't ever have a job again? This country of tattlers and talebearers is just plain annoying, and it comes from people of all belief systems. Every person seems to want to ruin the lives of everyone they don't like. This is all a slippery slope where no one can have an opinion about anything for fear that they'll never be able to have another job again. Further, this is a thin skinned, whiny, pusillanimous, easily offended society that cries and complains about everything.

Arthur Brain

Theoretically that's how it should work, but in these days of social media it pays to be careful when expressing views on contentious subjects. Given the volatile nature of his moronic outburst the employer could potentially argue that the business might suffer by some measure of boycotting being taken against it if they kept the guy on.

Arthur Brain

Nope, i agree, even though hes clearly a massive idiot, this is america and we are suppose to have free speech.

Well, you kinda still do. You won't be prosecuted for slating your boss on Facebook but if he/she gets wind of it then don't be surprised if you're called into their office to be given your marching orders later on. You still have the right to air those views in public media though, ill advised though that may be...

Daniel1769

Well, you kinda still do. You won't be prosecuted for slating your boss on Facebook but if he/she gets wind of it then don't be surprised if you're called into their office to be given your marching orders later on. You still have the right to air those views in public media though, ill advised though that may be...

Exactly. People seem to think that free speech means that private individuals or organizations cannot react to the things someone says. Free speech means that the government cannot prohibit one from saying what he wants, and cannot punish him for it. It doesn't protect us from the the reactions of other private people so long as those reactions aren't violent (obviously). We have a societal problem in which people are constantly having their personal lives upended because they voiced an opinion. This is unfortunate and I believe society needs to grow thicker skin, but it isn't a first amendment issue.

Arthur Brain

Exactly. People seem to think that free speech means that private individuals or organizations cannot react to the things someone says. Free speech means that the government cannot prohibit one from saying what he wants, and cannot punish him for it. It doesn't protect us from the the reactions of other private people so long as those reactions aren't violent (obviously). We have a societal problem in which people are constantly having their personal lives upended because they voiced an opinion. This is unfortunate and I believe society needs to grow thicker skin, but it isn't a first amendment issue.

Well, that's the rub with the advent of social media. If you work for a company and act or state opinions deemed 'inappropriate' and post them for public consumption on the net then they can come back to bite you. Plenty of people have lost their jobs that way. It's not like having a private conversation in a bar...

Arthur Brain

Then you agree, people should be free to state what they believe without getting fired, even when its an issue you dont like, thanks!

Well, again, it's not so much that freedom of speech is being curtailed but rather the ramifications of it. Someone could choose to attend a Phelps picketing of soldiers' funerals and plaster it all over the net. Can they be surprised if the company fire them the following day because of the damage it could do to their business?

Daniel1769

Well, that's the rub with the advent of social media. If you work for a company and act or state opinions deemed 'inappropriate' and post them for public consumption on the net then they can come back to bite you. Plenty of people have lost their jobs that way. It's not like having a private conversation in a bar...

True. Set your stuff to private and don't accept facebook friends you don't know.