Acts 2:38 and the purpose of baptism

Jerry Shugart

how is forgiveness not in regard to salvation?

As I said, the forgiveness of sins can be in regard to fellowship as in this verse written to those who are already saved:

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth...If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:5-6, 9).​

The Christians who received this epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life (1 Jn.5:11) and the Lord Jesus said that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

So the forgiveness of sins spoken of in chapter 1 cannot be in regard to salvation since they already possessed eternal security.

Jdorman

As I said, the forgiveness of sins can be in regard to fellowship as in this verse written to those who are already saved:

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth...If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:5-6, 9).​

The Christians who received this epistle were told that they already possessed eternal life (1 Jn.5:11) and the Lord Jesus said that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

So the forgiveness of sins spoken of in chapter 1 cannot be in regard to salvation since they already possessed eternal security.

Gotcha, agree to disagree on eternal security

Rivers

It doesn't matter if you receive the Holy Ghost before or after you get baptized, but you must do both.

It may be quite significant because, after the family of Cornelius received holy spirit before being water baptized (Acts 10:42-44), there isn't a single example of any uncircumcised person ever being water baptized. Even Paul was glad that he only baptized a few of his converts (1 Corinthians 1:13-17) and there is no evidence that anyone was baptizing the gentiles for him.

Jerry Shugart

Gotcha, agree to disagree on eternal security

Why do you not believe the Lord Jesus when He said that those to whom He gives eternal life shall not perish?

And why do you not believe what He said here?:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (Jn.6:37).​

Jdorman

Why do you not believe the Lord Jesus when He said that those to whom He gives eternal life shall not perish?

And why do you not believe what He said here?:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (Jn.6:37).​

I understand the verses in another way.

God never cast us away when we come to Him but we have to go to Him, we can leave.

If we really believe Him then we wont perish. True belief results in obedience

Jdorman

I'm looking at it on my phone and I see it just fine.

YOU refute it.

I actually gave you a response by giving you the link for that book and did you even read it?
The book explains a difficult topic very well, better then I could and answers the questions in your picture. That is why I refer you to it.

musterion

The TOL 10 Commandments say that TOL is for dialogue but pasting copied dialogue is not actual dialogue. Posting links is much less than dialogue. It is, at best, lazy and at worst a sign of dishonesty.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Be careful sir, you are talking to a real man of God. God is not mocked whatever you speak and judge comes back to you. You breaking the law of God, false witness.

You're barely a man at 21. The brain isn't fully developed until 25. Look it up, kid.

Jdorman

The TOL 10 Commandments say that TOL is for dialogue but pasting copied dialogue is not actual dialogue. Posting links is much less than dialogue. It is, at best, lazy and at worst a sign of dishonesty.

Actually I just thought the link did the best job at answering your post. In the same way you posted an atachment, i posted a link. I read yours, I am not lazy. The book just does such a great job that I wanted to share it.

Jerry Shugart

I understand the verses in another way.

God never cast us away when we come to Him but we have to go to Him, we can leave.

But what if we are not obedient? Here is what is said by James in regard to those who are not obedient:

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law" (Jms.2:10-11).​

Is this not teaching that if a person is going to be saved by their obedience then they must be perfectly obedient. After all, it is impossible that being guilty of all in regard to obedience could lead to anyone being declared righteous in the eyes of the Lord!

If we really believe Him then we wont perish. True belief results in obedience

Have you been perfectly obedient during your Christian walk? Paul certainly understood that no one can keep the law perfectly so therefore no one is justified by the obedience of the works or deeds of the law:

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law"
(Ro.3:28).

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
They are still scattered abroad.

Genesis 49:1-2 And Jacob called his sons and said, "Gather together that I may tell you what shall befall you in the last days, gather together and hear, you sons of Jacob, and listen to Israel your father."

Do you believe these are the last days?

In Genesis 48:19 But his father refused and said, "I know, my son, I know. He also shall become a people and he also shall be great, but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his descendants shall become a multitude of nations."

So we are not referring to scattered people, we are referring to nations. Where are these nations today?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law"

Yes, our righteousness is not based on the law, it is imputed to us through faith. However, faith requires that we be faithful. Murdering people is not being faithful. Adultery and fornication is not being faithful.

Being abusive to parents is not being faithful. Making idols for worship is not being faithful. Profaning God's authority is not being faithful.

Ignoring the weekly seventh day as a day of rest is not being faithful. Shoplifting is not being faithful.

There are a few more, but I think you are able to perceive the point.

Jdorman

But what if we are not obedient? Here is what is said by James in regard to those who are not obedient:

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law" (Jms.2:10-11).​

Is this not teaching that if a person is going to be saved by their obedience then they must be perfectly obedient. After all, it is impossible that being guilty of all in regard to obedience could lead to anyone being declared righteous in the eyes of the Lord!

Have you been perfectly obedient during your Christian walk? Paul certainly understood that no one can keep the law perfectly so therefore no one is justified by the obedience of the works or deeds of the law:

His saints will persevere

Right Divider

Body part
Genesis 49:1-2 And Jacob called his sons and said, "Gather together that I may tell you what shall befall you in the last days, gather together and hear, you sons of Jacob, and listen to Israel your father."

Do you believe these are the last days?
Nope.

In Genesis 48:19 But his father refused and said, "I know, my son, I know. He also shall become a people and he also shall be great, but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his descendants shall become a multitude of nations."

So we are not referring to scattered people, we are referring to nations. Where are these nations today?
We (you) are off on another one of your rabbit trails. Have fun! :surf: