Is rape "about" sex?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Noooo, people are saying that rape is primarily about exerting power and dominance over another but as you're not listening to anyone besides yourself anyway it's no surprise you're not paying attention.

:plain:

do try to keep up

gj started the thread after someone (traci maybe?) claimed that rape had nothing to do with sex

glassjester

Noooo, people are saying that rape is primarily about exerting power and dominance over another but as you're not listening to anyone besides yourself anyway it's no surprise you're not paying attention.

:plain:

Did I misunderstand the words, "Rape is NOT about sex" ?

Arthur Brain

Did I misunderstand the words, "Rape is NOT about sex" ?

Has anybody argued that rape doesn't involve a sexual act? No, of course they haven't. For you that seems to be all that matters and the obvious psychotic exertion of dominance/power/control in order to violate someone plays a very distant second fiddle.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Did a Google search on rape being about dominance.

Article #1- written by a woman
Article #2- written by a woman
Article #3- written by a woman

Know what the forth one was?
:chuckle:

Men who lap this crap up are victims as far as I'm concerned- they are made to think that their manhood is a hapless thing and then they're coerced into harboring feminist biases.

Arthur Brain

No.

But people have been arguing that rapists are not motivated by sexual desire, or that they are not sexually attracted to their victims.

But they are.

Does it even occur to you that rapists just might be turned on by the very act of force or is that outside of your scope?

Arthur Brain

Did a Google search on rape being about dominance.

Article #1- written by a woman
Article #2- written by a woman
Article #3- written by a woman

Know what the forth one was?
:chuckle:

Men who lap this crap up are victims as far as I'm concerned- they are made to think that their manhood is a hapless thing and then coerced into harboring feminist biases.

Wow, what an idiot.

glassjester

Does it even occur to you that rapists just might be turned on by the very act of force or is that outside of your scope?

Of course that's possible.

But then you'd expect to see, with serial rapists, a variety of victims - of all ages, races, genders, etc.

Instead, they most often have a "type."
Is it just coincidence that it's always the type of person they're most sexually attracted to?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Predominantly.

Can you prove that or is it just an assertion? I mean really, how can anyone claim what makes anyone commit different deviant acts? You could ask the question to a thousand different subjects and get a thousand different answers as to why. It is a pointless argument because in the end it does not matter why, it only matters that it happened, no?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Fabled Pay gap- Patriarchy
Public office- Patriarchy
Bras- Patriarchy

Why should anybody be surprised that rape is patriarchy :rotfl:

Arthur Brain

Can you prove that or is it just an assertion? I mean really, how can anyone claim what makes anyone commit different deviant acts? You could ask the question to a thousand different subjects and get a thousand different answers as to why. It is a pointless argument because in the end it does not matter why, it only matters that it happened, no?

It's hardly pop psychology where it comes to the subject of rape. It's enforced on another against their will whether it's premeditated or during a mutual sexual encounter where one person wants to stop and the other carries on regardless. I'm going to opt out of this discussion now as I'm sick and tired of people reducing rape to simply the 'sex' aspect and practically dong away with the horrors of the violation and psychopathic brutality of it (not directing that at you). I've seen the effects on someone close and I've lost patience with the trolls and bloody armchair psychologists who don't know a damned thing about it.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It's hardly pop psychology where it comes to the subject of rape. It's enforced on another against their will whether it's premeditated or during a mutual sexual encounter where one person wants to stop and the other carries on regardless. I'm going to opt out of this discussion now as I'm sick and tired of people reducing rape to simply the 'sex' aspect and practically dong away with the horrors of the violation and psychopathic brutality of it (not directing that at you). I've seen the effects on someone close and I've lost patience with the trolls and bloody armchair psychologists who don't know a damned thing about it.

The problem is that nobody is making the claim (or at least that I have read) that rape is any less deviant, harmful, or mentally traumatic for the victim. I have however watched as people have took sides as to the root cause which is a futile argument, and to say that a rape is motivated by different factors does not reduce the effects on the victim one iota, it just highlights that there is no definite root cause, it varies from case to case.

glassjester

It's enforced on another against their will

So is every other crime against another person.

I'm sick and tired of people reducing rape to simply the 'sex' aspect and practically dong away with the horrors of the violation and psychopathic brutality of it (not directing that at you).

No one is minimizing the psychological devastation of the victim.

But as far as the motive of the attacker - no one has yet shown a single shred of evidence that rape is "not about sex."