Boko Haram crisis: US deploys troops in Cameroon

Quetzal

US President Barack Obama has announced that US armed forces have been deployed to Cameroon to help fight against the Islamist militants Boko Haram.

The force, which will be 300 strong, will conduct airborne intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance operations in the region.

Cameroon and Chad have been targeted by the Islamist militants from northern Nigeria.

Mr Obama said the forces would remain in Cameroon until "no longer needed".

In a notification to Congress, he said an advance force of 90 troops were sent to the country on Monday.

He said all US troops there would be "equipped with weapons for the purpose of providing their own force protection and security".
Source

Thoughts?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
President Barack Obama likes to paint Republicans as warmongers and portray himself as the diplomat-in-chief who ended the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, even though those conflicts continue and seem certain to outlast his time in office.

In a little-noticed White House video released last month, Obama insisted that he even knows exactly how many wars the United States would be in if he had listened to his hawkish GOP critics.

“Right now, if I was taking the advice of some of the members of Congress who holler all the time, we’d be in, like, seven wars right now,” he told a small group of veterans and Gold Star mothers of slain U.S. military personnel.

my thoughts?

obama's a retard

Quetzal

:doh: For crying out loud, when I ask for thoughts I suppose I should be more specific. I am trying to encourage discussion instead of one liners with no substance. Let's talk about a few questions to consider:

Given our active military presence in other parts of the world, do you believe this kind of action is reasonable?

Do you believe this will turn into a longer, drawn out campaign? Why or why not?

Do you think our elevated presence will be accepted by the locals?

Do you think our presence in central Africa will have any adverse effects within the international community? Do you think we will have support? Why or why not?

Sitamun

:doh: For crying out loud, when I ask for thoughts I suppose I should be more specific. I am trying to encourage discussion instead of one liners with no substance. Let's talk about a few questions to consider:

Given our active military presence in other parts of the world, do you believe this kind of action is reasonable?

Do you believe this will turn into a longer, drawn out campaign? Why or why not?

Do you think our presence in central Africa will have any adverse effects within the international community? Do you think we will have support? Why or why not?

It's a small force of troops, for American, an extremely small force. I don't know enough about their exact purpose to know if they will be effective or if it is reasonable. On the face of things, it looks reasonable to me.

For now, I don't see it as prolonged, however that could change. Say if the numbers deployed keep going up. As for being accepted by the locals, I hope so. Hopefully the force is small enough to not warrant panic, or any adverse reaction.

Honestly, this keeps bringing up the recent Syria nonsense. The "we'll teach them how to fight" and out of all the money, only 4 or 5 individuals are active??

Not saying this is going to be the same, but it is in my mind while I've been mulling this over.

bybee

Our active military presence has caused the death of many of our finest young people and rarely if ever has the situation been improved. Three of my grandsons and their friends were in Iraq and Afghanistan. They were disgusted by the way in which our military was forced to conduct itself. The restrictions imposed on them put them in jeopardy.
If the UN's traditional response to anything American is to be taken seriously, then, anything we attempt to do will be criticized and vilified.
What do you think about the questions you have posed?
Do you have answers to share or is it your intent to just take pot shots at those responses with which you take issue?

Quetzal

Do you have answers to share or is it your intent to just take pot shots at those responses with which you take issue?
Putting the horse a bit before the cart there, Bybee. I don't really have an informed opinion yet, that is why I ask for other perspectives.

ok doser

sure, why not?

Do you believe this will turn into a longer, drawn out campaign?

of course

Why or why not?

because it always does

what - we're coming in on stilts? :freak:

Do you think our presence in central Africa will have any adverse effects within the international community?

it always does

Do you think we will have support?

from the usual suspects?

of course

and bammy's still a retard! :banana:

PureX

I think Obama is trying to head off another 'Afghanistan' by denying these radical and violent Muslims another nation-base from which to fester, and spread.

I don't like meddling like this, because it almost always blows up in our faces sooner or later. But sometimes, we just don't have a choice. And maybe if we move early, and do so effectively, we can avoid more problems than we create. But hind sight is 20-20, and prognosticating isn't. So all we can do is try, and see how it comes out.

The only thing I would say about these kinds of defensive military incursions is that if we're going to do it, then do it right, and do it with finality. Don't send in our soldiers, and then tie their hands.

PureX

One thing we can say about this predicament with absolute certainty: is that whatever Obama does, the republicans will declare it a total disaster before he does it, while he's doing it, and after he's done it. Because their vision is 100% biased, in every instance, and in every way, so long as he is involved.

ok doser

One thing we can say about this predicament with absolute certainty: is that whatever Obama does, the republicans will declare it a total disaster before he does it, while he's doing it, and after he's done it. Because their vision is 100% biased, in every instance, and in every way, so long as he is involved.

you dint read my post quoting bammy doing exactly the same thing wrt republicans, did you? :chuckle:

:mock:purexcrement

bybee

Those were my thoughts exactly when President Bush was in office. The liberal attacks on him were unrelenting because their vision was 100% biased, in every instance, and in every way, so long as he was involved.
And, lo and behold!
They are still blaming President Bush for everything that goes wrong under President Obama!
Who Knew!

Quetzal

Those were my thoughts exactly when President Bush was in office. The liberal attacks on him were unrelenting because their vision was 100% biased, in every instance, and in every way, so long as he was involved.
He did declare a war that was unnecessary and tank the economy. So, that is not to say it wasn't unwarranted.