ECT Grace is unconditional but not universal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
So like B57 (Another Calvinist such as yourself) you believe that faith is a work, right?

B57 and I differ in that I am a Confessional Reformer and I do not believe faith is a work.

(Teaching wrongly that grace is conditional upon human decision, is what makes faith a work.)

Which is the point of my OP . . .

God's grace is totally unconditional and unmerited. God's grace comes only by the merciful and sovereign choice of God. Romans 9:15-18

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
B57 and I differ in that I am a Confessional Reformer and I do not believe faith is a work.

(Teaching wrongly that grace is conditional upon human decision, is what makes faith a work.)

Which is the point of my OP . . .

God's grace is totally unconditional and unmerited. God's grace comes only by the merciful and sovereign choice of God. Romans 9:15-18

So, basically you're just saying faith is a work. Good try though.

musterion

So, basically you're just saying faith is a work. Good try though.

Just got a publication in the mail yesterday with an excellent article analyzing the teachings of Wayne Grudem -- a rather popular figure in theology circles I'm led to understand -- and how his definition of faith is subtly works-based (as most everyone's is) even though it professes to be Faith Alone. Can't post it so instead, something similar and much more blunt...

"The New Testament clearly teaches that bare faith cannot save, and that works are necessary for final justification or final salvation."

Thomas R. Schreiner
Prof. of NT Interpretation
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Just got a publication in the mail yesterday with an excellent article analyzing the teachings of Wayne Grudem -- a rather popular figure in theology circles I'm led to understand -- and how his definition of faith is subtly works-based (as most everyone's is) even though it professes to be Faith Alone. Can't post it so instead, something similar and much more blunt...

It appears as if this fellow doesn't have a clue about the Grace Gospel. Is he a member of the House of Israel living about 2000 years ago, per chance?

musterion

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
How does a Calvinist come to a saving knowledge of their salvation? Surely the Bible must play a part in their willingness to place their faith in Christ as their Savior? It's not just delivered to them via an epiphany. So, if they must place their faith in Christ and non-Calvinists must place their faith as well, then what's the difference?

musterion

How does a Calvinist come to a saving knowledge of their salvation?

Goes back to Lordship Salvation, which stems from insecurity, which stems from never being able to know you're not really a reprobate. This is addressed bullet-point fashion in the article. I'd like to know what you think of it, Gros.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I mean salvation is a Spiritual process by which the Holy Spirit seals, indwells and baptizes (not by water) the believer into the Body of Christ. The only prerequisite to the process is, our faith. The Holy Spirit does everything else.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Goes back to Lordship Salvation, which stems from insecurity, which stems from never being able to know you're not really a reprobate. This is addressed bullet-point fashion in the article. I'd like to know what you think of it, Gros.

I'll look it over tonight and give you my opinion, okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.