Why men won't marry you

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Begging the question.

My apologies. I've used the term earlier without explaining what it means. "Begging the question" is an informal fallacy in which one assumes, in the steps of one's argument, what one wishes to prove.

A common example (though not fully fleshed out) among Protestants:

A: Why is vulgar language [i.e., a certain type of speech] a sin [i.e., evil]?
B: Because this verse in the Bible says to keep away from all evil speech.

Begging the question ultimately amounts to no more than saying: "A because A." It's closely related to circular reasoning.

I actually haven't begged the question.

The conclusion that I want is:

It is, at least in some cases, permissible to beat ones wife. I support this conclusion with the following premises:

1. Whatever the law of Moses prescribes is, in principle, permissible. [All Christians must accept this premise; St. Paul says that the Law of Moses is holy, good and just.]

2. The Law of Moses prescribes the death penalty for adultery. [Evident from a plain reading of the Law of Moses.]

3. Death is more severe than beating.

4. If the more severe may be prescribed in punishment, the less severe may in principle be permitted.

5. The State, in whom is vested the authority to punish, may delegate its authority to punish to someone else.

If you grant these premises, then my conclusion follows.

Of course, the argument doesn't work against non-Christians or non-Jews (they would deny the first premise), but, if I recall correctly, I directed it to Patrick Jane, who calls himself a Christian.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
There is a gap of time when the Jews essentially lost the law and subsequently had to rediscover it. We don't know what happened before that time other than from the writing that existed from before that time. It's obvious from the wording of the Exodus passage that the injury of the prematurely born child is in view.

As for tradition, you probably would not like traditional Jewish patriarchy. For example, traditionally, sex is the right of the wife not the husband. So there goes your whole argument that a husband can take it by force and it's only an inconvenience for the wife, crushed by Jewish tradition. Squash!

Women had three basic rights: food, shelter, and sex.

It's odd that sex is one of those three, being that in our culture today women are more conservative about sex than men.
Well, not odd, just rather surprising the difference between now and then.

All it means is that women had the right to have intercourse with their husband. This was to ensure that she, above anyone else, had the conjugal right to her husband.

You have to remember that polygamy existed as well- it existed lest a woman be envious or favored less.

So, yeah.. no quarrels with Jewish custom :rolleyes:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Even in the early 5th century, St. Augustine flat out said that the only real practical purpose of a woman is to birth children.

Where? Would you please quote the specific work, chapter, etc?

What he probably said, and he would have been correct to say it, is that the primary reason for the female gender is the bearing of children. The reverse would likewise be true: the primary reason for the male gender is the begetting of children.

It's simply a commentary on the male/female divide among animals.

The ultimate practical purpose of a woman is the same as for a man: to know and love God. Consider the words of Jesus to Martha:

"But one thing is necessary. Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:42).

Whereas Martha chose to busy herself with the day to day concerns of the practical life, Mary chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to his teachings. In this we see a kind of image of the contemplative life. Likewise, early on in the gospels, with respect to the Most Blessed Mother, we are told again and again, in each scene: "And she contemplated these things in her heart."

It is for this reason that, even for women, the religious life (think "nuns") is more perfect than the married life.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

I actually gave the more conservative version of it, and only a piece at that.
If you want to hear the atom bomb he really drops on women, feel free to look it up.
It's too much of a burn to post here, I don't want the feminists having heart attacks :rotfl:

elohiym

Begging the question ultimately amounts to no more than saying: "A because A." It's closely related to circular reasoning.

I actually haven't begged the question.

1. Premises in which the truth of the conclusion is claimed or the truth of the conclusion is assumed (either directly or indirectly).
2. Claim C (the conclusion) is true.

1. "If stoning is permissible" (assumes punishment is still permissible)
2. "beating is permissible."

Punishment is not permissible for adultery or whatever you think deserves a wife-beating.

1. Whatever the law of Moses prescribes is, in principle, permissible. [All Christians must accept this premise; St. Paul says that the Law of Moses is holy, good and just.]

Mosaic laws have been abrogated. See Colossians 2:14. Casts doubt on your first premise.

2. The Law of Moses prescribes the death penalty for adultery. [Evident from a plain reading of the Law of Moses.]

I accept that premise, but you are assuming that the Mosaic penalty is still valid. I'm not claiming the law against adultery has been abrogated, just the penalty.

3. Death is more severe than beating.

I will accept that premise.

4. If the more severe may be prescribed in punishment, the less severe may in principle be permitted.

You have no legal support for that premise, so I don't accept it. Do you have a Mosaic law that allows a husband to beat his wife for any reason?

5. The State, in whom is vested the authority to punish, may delegate its authority to punish to someone else.

I accept that premise, but also remind you that the State has made wife beating illegal, so immoral even for legalistic folk.

So your conclusion doesn't follow, right?

elohiym

If you go back and actually read my post, you will see that wasn't the case at all :doh:

But believe whatever you want.

lighten%20up%20francis_0.png

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
1. Premises in which the truth of the conclusion is claimed or the truth of the conclusion is assumed (either directly or indirectly).
2. Claim C (the conclusion) is true.

1. "If stoning is permissible" (assumes punishment is still permissible)
2. "beating is permissible."

"If stoning is permissible, then beating is permissible" doesn't imply that the antecedent holds true. It simply indicates that the antecedent or the protasis (the "if" part of the conditional) cannot be true and the consequent or the apodosis (the "then" part of the conditional) be false.

Thus, we can look at the statement from the opposite direction:

"If beating is not permissible, then stoning is not permissible."

Ultimately, the above statement doesn't really say anything more than what I've listed as premise 4 above:

"If the more severe may be prescribed in punishment, the less severe may in principle be permitted."

You, of course, have two options if you don't want to concede the point:

1. You can deny the principle that if the more severe is permissible, then the less severe is permissible. (This would to be to deny the hypothetical proposition.)

2. You can deny that stoning is permissible. [This would be to deny the truth of the antecedent; note, of course, that this would not be sufficient to show that beating is not permissible (beating could be permissible, but stoning not be permissible); it simply would render me unable to draw the inference.]

Punishment is not permissible for adultery or whatever you think deserves a wife-beating.

1. The Law of Moses disagrees.
2. Punishment of any kind? Even preferential treatment in a divorce case in favor of the offended spouse?

Mosaic laws have been abrogated. See Colossians 2:14. Casts doubt on your first premise.

Two points:

1. Even granting that they have been abrogated, this doesn't refute the proposition, i.e., which is that stoning is, in principle, permissible. Even if you deny that societies other than the ancient Jewish body politic should stone adulterers, you must nonetheless grant that it was permissible for them.

If you grant this (as you must), I'll then ask: "Granted that stoning was permissible, could Moses have prescribed beating instead, for at least some cases?"

If you say "yes," then you've granted my point. The question at that point ceases to be whether beating a woman is permissible or not at least in principle (since you will have granted the point); the question becomes a matter of when and under what circumstances it is permissible (the answer to this question, of course, very well may "very rarely; perhaps almost never; most men will never see a circumstance in which it is just for them to beat their respective wives").

2. Protestants like to throw out this assertion, but I'm not particularly impressed by it.

A. It makes much more sense simply to point out that the Mosaic Law was a legal code for a particular body politic, i.e., ancient Israel/Judea. I am as much bound to the particulars of the Mosaic Law as I would be bound to the particulars of German law, whether or not the Law of Moses has been abrogated.

B. What you actually seem to be meaning is that the Mosaic Law should in no way to be imitated by other nation-states. Against this, however, is the following:

St. Paul nowhere says this. It is certainly true that certain precepts of the Mosaic Law were fitting in principle only for Israel and Judea and it would be a moral evil for them to be adopted today: I have in mind, of course, the ceremonial precepts. Now that Jesus, who is our high priest, paschal sacrifice, our mercy seat and our bread of the presence, has fulfilled the ceremonial precepts of the law, which were only a dim foreshadowing of the Christ who was to come, it would be a most outrageous offense against God to return to them.

To be so quick, however, to dismiss the juridical precepts of the Law (i.e., the criminal and civic penalties and practices) is to cast serious doubt on whether those laws were good and just laws. I say that they were excellent laws and most fitting to ensure the common good of the ancient Jewish political society.

There's no reason why other political societies should not, depending on their circumstances, adopt similar laws. If eating pork occasions a public health hazard, then the State should ban pork. [If I'm not mistaken, the eating of pork was seriously frowned upon, if not illegal, for at least some period of time in ancient Rome; in the Brothers Menaechmi, when the social parasite is talking about the pork feast that he wants at the house of the prostitute, Plautus is doing this to make fun of the Greeks; no good Roman of his time would eat such a meal.]

Again, if you object to the death penalty for adulterers, then I'll tell you that this was permitted even among the Greeks. Punishment for adultery was not unique to the law of Moses, nor did it magically and suddenly disappear with the advent of Christianity.

The legal practices of the Jews were good, holy and just. They were a particular determination of eternal and unchanging principles of justice to their time and to their society. For other societies, these determinations may be different. But we shouldn't be so quick to throw out the juridical wisdom of the Law.

you have no legal support for that premise, so I don't accept it.

Yes, I do. Consider the fact that murder may be punished either with prison or death. Consider that a judge has both a minimum and maximum penalty at his disposal when it comes to sentencing a convict. Consider the fact that in some places, marijuana is legal, whereas in other places, it will get you a ticket and fine, whereas if the Feds catch you...

What I've said is either obviously true or obviously false. If you insist that, for any given crime, there is one and precisely one acceptable punishment, then what I've said is clearly false. The less severe punishment is too lenient and, therefore, unjust. All murderers MUST die. Period. No exceptions. Again: all adulterers MUST die. Period. No exceptions.

If you say this, however, then you actually end up arguing against your previous assertions. In that case, the legal penalties imposed by the Law of Moses are the only just ones, and all societies should adopt them.

If you don't assert that, then it seems to me as though you simply must accept my premise.

Do you have a Mosaic law that allows a husband to beat his wife for any reason?

Right off hand? I don't recall one. Nonetheless, do you deny that Moses could have permitted it in the case of adultery?

I accept that premise, but also remind you that the State has made wife beating illegal, so immoral even for legalistic folk.

I grant that. If the State doesn't delegate its right of violence to the offended party, then the offended party is not permitted to exact vengeance.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I grant that. If the State doesn't delegate its right of violence to the offended party, then the offended party is not permitted to exact vengeance.

two quick thoughts on your post (great post, btw :thumb: )

1. in some jurisdictions (singapore, for example), beating is a legal sentence for some criminal actions

2. the state doesn't retain the "right to violence" when it comes to discipline between parents and children - i would argue that it shouldn't come between a husband and wife

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

What he probably said, and he would have been correct to say it, is that the primary reason for the female gender is the bearing of children. The reverse would likewise be true: the primary reason for the male gender is the begetting of children.

It's simply a commentary on the male/female divide among animals.

The ultimate practical purpose of a woman is the same as for a man: to know and love God. Consider the words of Jesus to Martha:

"But one thing is necessary. Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:42).

Whereas Martha chose to busy herself with the day to day concerns of the practical life, Mary chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to his teachings. In this we see a kind of image of the contemplative life. Likewise, early on in the gospels, with respect to the Most Blessed Mother, we are told again and again, in each scene: "And she contemplated these things in her heart."

It is for this reason that, even for women, the religious life (think "nuns") is more perfect than the married life.

I seem to recall God saying He would create a helper for Adam, not an incubator.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
some helper - helped him right out of eden

A common appellation of Catholics for the Most Blessed Mother is "the new Eve." Just as death and sin entered into the world through Adam, and this, through the temptation of Eve, and this, again, because of their pride and disobedience to God, so Christ and new life entered the world through the Most Blessed Mother, through her humility and through her obedience and submission of the will of God.

Likewise do we call her "Star of the Sea," because just as the North Star provides a sure, reliable guide to a wandering crew lost at sea, so too, the Blessed Mother is a sure guide to Eternal Life.

Ave Maria! :D

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
A common appellation of Catholics for the Most Blessed Mother is "the new Eve." Just as death and sin entered into the world through Adam, and this, through the temptation of Eve, and this, again, because of their pride and disobedience to God, so Christ and new life entered the world through the Most Blessed Mother, through her humility and through her obedience and submission of the will of God.

Likewise do we call her "Star of the Sea," because just as the North Star provides a sure, reliable guide to a wandering crew lost at sea, so too, the Blessed Mother is a sure guide to Eternal Life.

Ave Maria! :D

It never ceases to amaze me how little regard catholics have for God's Son.

Arthur Brain

Another obvious example in which it should be perfectly permissible, and, in fact, legally encouraged, to beat one's wife:

I was watching a murder documentary a while back. A man's wife takes a younger lover. She even moves him into their house and permanently kicks the husband out of their bedroom, consigning him...either to the couch or to another bedroom. I forget which. She then permits the young man's friends to hang over at their house, drink alcohol, etc.

They ultimately ended up murdering the husband, if I recall correctly.

In my view, the State should delegate its right of violence in such cases to the offended party.

The husband should have been legally permitted and encouraged to beat his wife until either:

1. She saw reason

or

2. She died.

It should have been a perfectly legitimate legal defense for the husband to have walked into court, pointed to his wife's dead body and said: "Your honor, I tried to beat some sense into my wife, but the thing just could not be done. No matter how hard I punched her in the face, she just didn't seem to 'get it.'"

Had he done so, and had it been legal for him to do so, I assure you, everyone would be better off now.

[And yes, Rusha, I'll gladly say the same thing in the case of a male offender. The wife's relatives should be able to give the same legal defense in such a case, were the husband to move a lover into their household, etc.]

What a moron...

Arthur Brain

What an elaborate and well expressed argument! How tight your syllogisms! How sure your reasoning! How compelling your sentiments! How edifying the wisdom of your principles! :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

Well, how about setting up a poll where we can quantify the results of those who think it's perfectly reasonable to beat a spouse - even until death - and those who think it's abhorrent and sick.

You wanna set it up?

bybee

What an elaborate and well expressed argument! How tight your syllogisms! How sure your reasoning! How compelling your sentiments! How edifying the wisdom of your principles! :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

There is also idiot and imbecile to consider....