Reformed Theology: Somewhere Between..

musterion

My reply to AMR promised last week.

You have misunderstood Paul.
One of us has. Let's see whom it is.

Per the commonplace view of the Reformed, the decree encompasses the fall of man and God's provision to save some, but not everyone, so done only according to His own purposes and counsel and not any foreseen merit of man.
The Bible does not teach this. That is what I referred to as your megaton range irony for warning someone else to be careful in speculating about that which has not been revealed, given the various speculative creeds that define God's primordial decrees as matters of confessional faith which you defend.

This fallen lump of clay DESERVED no universal mercy.
Who said it did?
You may disagree with this view of the decree, but your argument against this common view is not sustained until you show it to be otherwise.
I've said it 100 times because it's all that needs be said: God (in the Bible) damns those who will not believe. If you're right, He lies because they're only doing that which He preordained them to do, not what He states they CHOSE to do because there is no "chose."

Reformed theology makes Him a liar for His damning as a choice what He knows was not and cannot be a choice. Even you, as a Calvinist, say they CAN'T choose to obey God because they're "dead." The Bible, however, says they CAN believe, which justifies damnation when they won't.

So seriously, now...which do you expect us to believe?

EVERY SINGLE DOCTRINE we can build upon the Bible - no matter who builds it - can and must first be traced right back to the revealed character of God. The secret things belong to Him and His ways are usually not our ways...but we CAN know Him according to what He told us about Himself. If a doctrine doesn't align with what He says is true of Himself, it's to be rejected as a lie of Satan.

Further, if Christ died for all the sins of all men. But then why are not all saved? You answer, Because some do not believe. But is this unbelief not one of the sins for which Christ died?
Paul said both, so both are true: God has reconciled the world unto Himself, but that does not automatically result in the forgiveness/justification of the world with no regard to faith, as universalists claim. If it did, Paul would have said so.

Rather, God still expects and requires faith expressed by believing the Gospel of the grace of God. He expects it of EVERYONE WHO HEARS. If we do not give Him that faith, the reconciliation goes nowhere. We remain unjustified and unsaved, and we remain subject to wrath and the Lake of Fire. What part of this do you disagree with?

If you say yes, He died for all men, then why is unbelief not covered by the blood of Jesus and all unbelievers saved?
Dealt with above.

Why are the lost then being punished if option three—Christ died for all the sins of all men—is your choice? Apparently, his death was only a potential act of redemption, not an actual one, since all are not saved. So, in reality, you really do not mean option three, but something like "Christ died for all the sins of all men, but only if and only if all men would just have faith".
That's what Paul said.

You conflate belief and faith here. All are commanded to believe. Man is not commanded to have faith, for faith is but a gift granted by God, the firstfruits of regenerative re-birth.
First, I reject the assertion that "believe" and "faith" are somehow different in this context.

Second, why would God command belief from those who can't give it? If they're THAT dead, they can't. Even if they do believe something, it can't result in anything pleasing to Him. He'd know that, yes? So what's the point? Besides, they're already as good as damned by virtue of their reprobation; whatever they did believe, it'd make no difference. Doesn't He know that?

It is a plain fact that God expects and requires faith because LACK of faith, REFUSING faith in Christ, is the very grounds on which He damns those who hear and reject the Gospel. That proves it is not a gift He gives only to some but not others. It is the innate ability of ALL MEN, going right back to Adam and his son Cain, who was BORN FALLEN AND DEAD IN SIN, just like us. Yet God tried to reason with. Odd thing for Him to do, appealing to a dead man?

God expects faith, indicating all have the capacity for the faith He expects. Else, His condemnation specifically for faithlessness is unjust and insane.

Also, if you're right, Titus 2:11 is undeniably false.

Why is Christ's death able to stand in the place of what a sinful man deserves? It is the gracious purpose of God.
Agreed!

Considered in itself, the death of Christ possesses the virtue to redeem all men (intrinsic merit).
Not if they're reprobates.

Clearly, since not all believe, in God's purpose it is only designed to redeem an elect, specific number of people, that is its extrinsic merit.
"Without faith it is impossible to please God." That axiom- and it is an absolute axiom, don't forget that - makes no sense in the context of condemnation if faith is a gift given to only a select few. It makes even less sense when the Bible repeatedly shows God condemning LACK of faith specifically for being LACK of faith.

You tell me: can He justly condemn someone for not exercising the very gift that (according to you) He elected to not give them? How would doing this not make Him a liar?

I think I understand Paul just fine on these points.

Last edited:

musterion

Now for Ducky.

Let me tell what I think is wrong with your position.

We are dealing with fallen humans. Fallen in such a way as to make it impossible for us to accept Christ.
The natural inability of man to accept Christ
Where's the Bible say that we, by nature, are SO dead that we cannot believe God when He says "Believe" ? You assume this to be true based on a conveniently selective interpretation of the word dead. Prove it is true from the Bible. Prove that man cannot do what God expects and demands unless God first quickens and enables Him to even be able to hear Him, much less obey Him. Until you do, there's no point in me addressing what you've built upon an unproven assumption.

In the absence of God's gracious redeeming activity there is only one fate for all men, damnation. Justice served. Sin and die. God does nothing for the damned to be damned.
Except reprobate them before they existed.

Salvation on the other hand is totally the work of God. He chooses some and not others.
By your doctrine, He chooses some to what? To believe.

Why, then, does He condemn FOR UNBELIEF those He did NOT choose to be believers? You avoided this question at least once before, let's see if you address it now.

Mercy does not have shown to all possible recipients for the giver of mercy to be just.
It does when He condemns for rejecting that mercy those He did not enable to receive that mercy.

Your argument might have some merit if God did actively choose those to be damned.
But He did exactly that when He chose not to elect them. See below.

Admittedly, there are a couple of people here who would argue for the active choice by God of those to be damned, but most Calvinists/Reformed would hold to the passive nature of reprobation.
Which is illogical. See below.

But if reprobation is passive on the part of God, then he is not unjust for choosing some and not others.
The "passive reprobation" con won't work.

God (according to Reformed theology) elected from among the entire collective mass of humanity, true? Yes, that's true.

That means for all those He did not elect, He - being omniscient - MUST have done so informedly and deliberately, true? Yes, that's true.

That means "passively passed over" is the puerile dodge of cowards who won't face up to the implications of the very uncomfortable doctrines they, themselves, have attributed to God. Look, just be consistent. Courage of your convictions and all that. Embrace active reprobation. If you hold to active election, it's the only intellectually honest position you can have.

Matthew 11:27
27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
Thanks for pointing this out, it's an important point: according to Calvinism, it is also Christ Himself who is responsible for not saving those who do not believe on Him. If He doesn't will to reveal the Father to you, too bad, so sad. That's just the decree of God.

Your doctrine blasphemes both Father and Son.

Last edited:

Lon

I'm flattered that you would go so quickly to the "secret things of God" passage, thus admitting that your theology has no answer to the question. :)
Exactly true, and embraced. I 'used' to think it was what you think it was. I was wrong. Why? Romans 9. That chapter shut me up and I needed to be shown wrong. You? I'm not trying to make a Calvinist, just show why I believe it and why it is biblical. Calvinism is a whole buy-in and it takes a long time to come to the conclusions, scripturally. Most won't get to that point, it is a paradigm shift from freewill thinking and logic to God empathizing logic (not meaning to disparage one not a Calvinist, it is just that the Calvinist had to come to a decision that taking up his/her cross and denying self, had to be applied to theology as well).

I appreciate that you point out that all those that call on the name of the Lord will be saved, but if it presupposes that only those that are called irresistibly and irrevocably first, then the passage in question--that Jesus wanted to gather those that would not be gathered--suggests that there are people that God wants to gather that He cannot, because they refuse to be gathered.
:nono: That is also a freewill answer. If anything, the rest of Christendom should appreciate Calvinism for making one think. I believe we are under-appreciated. John 3:18
For what purpose (see your previous post) is immaterial--God's divine will (for Jesus did nothing of Himself: John 5:19) was apparently thwarted because He wanted to do something and they would not allow it.
See, Calvinists help you think, and help correct where it goes wrong. This is an important correction: MOST conflict between a Calvinist and Free-will theists is over Free-will constructs, misapplied to Calvinism. Another way to understand this is that Calvinism is Monergism (what God does) whereas Freewill theism is Synergism (God works with man to save him/her). For the Freewill theist, his salvation is in his/her own hands. Rather, Calvinists believe his/her sin condition is in his/her own hands, but that they are enslaved to it, not as God's fault. In other words, the things God often gets blamed for in Calvinism is not God's fault - we were born enslaved to another master and that bondage and master necessarily ends in death. Matthew 6 tells us we 'love' one of two masters. In that sense, this is what we mean by no 'free' will. A slave has a will, but he/she is severely restricted, no matter how much he/she loves the master. The main point, is that we are not free-agents, there are only two masters and we already belong to one or the other. Christ's work is sufficient to break every chain (Universalism) but I am not sure what order makes for one and not another to switch masters. You rightly called that. I would have one time said "free will." I 'think' I wasn't thinking deeply enough about important matters and was taking the easy, perhaps logical answer, except when I started wondering more deeply how logical it really was. Most people never do that (because they deem it unnecessary, or for whatever reason). There are few of us Calvinists.

I
That is, His divine will was thwarted unless we caveat it in one of two ways.
1. That it wasn't really God's will (and then Jesus wanted/willed something different from His Father), or
2. That God's divine will includes the desire for people to come to him freely and not by divine coercion.
I think you wrestle with these thoughts well. Again, if Calvinism is naught but a sounding board for most people, I think it is an under-appreciated theology. At one time, when I was thinking like this, I realized I wasn't a 'free' agent. It changed the scenario to something quite a bit different.

This also harkens forward to Jesus' plea in the garden that the cup be taken from Him. The same dichotomy exists: that either Jesus was willing something that was not from God, or that Jesus was submitting His will to the Father in order to remain one with him. God was not willing to coerce even His own Son, the co-creator of the universe, the one that could call down legions of angels to stop the arrest in the garden. But Jesus did it all willingly--the thing the first Adam would not do. Jesus obeyed His Father's "will" despite the ability--in His divinity--to choose differently.
Yep, I thought that too. We identify with or Savior, but not in this instance. In this instance, I was wrong (again, "I", not trying to force Calvinism, each system only makes sense within the full embrace of that said system). Jesus was/is God, and the only genuinely 'free' agent (God) in/out of the universe. Colossians 1:16-20

I genuinely believe only scripture can make a Calvinist, though God may use Calvinists in one's life. If scripture reading does not make one a Calvinist, I'm not as bothered, God is sovereign over our lives, but that too is more Calvinist in belief and trust. Proverbs 16:9

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think so. Think of it this way: If God's will is that man not murder, but He gives them the choice whether to murder or not, then is it God's will that some murder and some don't? No, murder is wickedness, and God does not desire wickedness. So when someone is wicked (murders, for instance) God says they must be dealt with accordingly--by execution.
I think this is where Calvinists overemphasize some scripture and underemphasize this one, in order to preserve their theology. But it fits with the murder illustration above. God desires all to be saved, but is not micromanaging the minds of men to the extent that nobody can't be saved (sorry for the double negative).

This gets into the realm of what Calvinists call the decreed vs the revealed will of God. In a sense they are correct: that if God doesn't stop something from happening, then He must be "ok" with it. Including murder, rape, torture, child molestation, etc. But it makes more sense that He doesn't stop it because He gave us the ability to do wrong when He gave us the ability to do right. The wrong won out in the beginning and we've gone downhill ever since.

So God must have been "ok" with murder, rape, torture, child molestation, etc. when He made man a free moral agent, because He knew that could be a result. But He still calls those things wicked. Therefore, He's not really ok with them--He punishes those who do those things.

And that punishment is glorifying to Him--"His greater glory", as you said. And I agree: it is a reflection on God's goodness that when someone does evil, he is punished for it. But it's not God's will that they do the wicked thing, even if they do it of their own free will, otherwise they wouldn't be/shouldn't be punished for it. Calling it God's will is, in my mind, blasphemous.

I think you may be misunderstanding me. I was trying to explain what you should have said in order to correctly caricature Calvinism. Calvinists say that the election of some and the damnation of the many is for God's glory not because it shows him to be a righteous judge of those who have chosen freely to be wicked when they could have chosen to be good but because those who have been shown mercy can realise the mercy shown to them in the face of those who have not been shown mercy. From our point of view, that election may be arbitrary but the Calvinist is only grateful for it and hence views it as an aspect of God's glory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lon

Lon

Of course, if you say that, you will be calling Jesus a liar.
Some logical conclusion 'might' demand that, but I started looking at my 'logic' for solutions too. What I conclude (and can be shown wrong, just hold to Calvinism as I believe it best fits scripture and my understanding) is that Our Lord God Jesus Christ, coming in the flesh, is beyond a lot of my ability to understand, logically. He was unique yet tangible but one not confused with the other. That is, as the creeds affirm: Fully God, fully man unconfusedly (except when I or another am confused or not grasping). Isaiah 55:8,9

Lon

But it makes more sense that He doesn't stop it because He gave us the ability to do wrong when He gave us the ability to do right. The wrong won out in the beginning and we've gone downhill ever since.
Freewill as a 'gift' is flatly rejected by Calvinism. We rather see it like a stolen item and we don't thank God for things we've stolen, or that Satan stole and passed along.

So God must have been "ok" with murder, rape, torture, child molestation, etc. when He made man a free moral agent, because He knew that could be a result. But He still calls those things wicked. Therefore, He's not really ok with them--He punishes those who do those things.
Lot of problems with these speculations. It doesn't apply to Calvinism, but more the thinking of freewill (as a gift) trying to wrestle with Calvinism in Freewill terms. 1) No 'free' will not that man doesn't have it, but that it was not a gift, but rather a result of the Fall Genesis 3:22 (no gift).
2) God is not okay with evil, though will craft it to benefit those who belong to Him, to His glory. See my sig, I can speculate a bit but I'm finite, God isn't and His ways are higher. What I can say is that God is Love, among His other attributes, and using our fallen condition has a loving goal, through atrocity of our own making. 3) God's justice also is a bit beyond me as a finite creature. I suspect much of it is more 'consequences' but that isn't to say God isn't completely sovereign over His creation.

And that punishment is glorifying to Him--"His greater glory", as you said. And I agree: it is a reflection on God's goodness that when someone does evil, he is punished for it.
Glory means 'directs one's attention to God and rightly see His divine attributes.' It isn't the 'judgment' persay, but the character of holiness cast against what isn't, make a necessary separation (holiness). 1 John 1:5 John 3:19

But it's not God's will that they do the wicked thing, even if they do it of their own free will, otherwise they wouldn't be/shouldn't be punished for it. Calling it God's will is, in my mind, blasphemous.
Not exactly 'free' will, but a will that is in bondage to sin, and in this, more consequences than punishment. Romans 6:23

I tend to see consequence rather than putative repercussion, such as Newton's third law.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Some logical conclusion 'might' demand that, but I started looking at my 'logic' for solutions too. What I conclude (and can be shown wrong, just hold to Calvinism as I believe it best fits scripture and my understanding) is that Our Lord God Jesus Christ, coming in the flesh, is beyond a lot of my ability to understand, logically. He was unique yet tangible but one not confused with the other. That is, as the creeds affirm: Fully God, fully man unconfusedly (except when I or another am confused or not grasping). Isaiah 55:8,9
Do you accept that there is a difference between what you cannot understand vs. what cannot be understood?

Put another way, there are things that you get wrong that cause confusion and then there are things that are irrational and cannot be understood because they are wrong. Do you believe it is possible to know the difference?

Derf

Hi Lon, Thanks for the gracious reply!
Exactly true, and embraced. I 'used' to think it was what you think it was. I was wrong. Why? Romans 9. That chapter shut me up and I needed to be shown wrong.
I'd be interested to learn if you felt that Rom 9 was different from the rest of scripture in some way. Are you basing your whole "conversion" to Calvinism on that one chapter?
You? I'm not trying to make a Calvinist,
Why not? Wouldn't you want to convince anyone that is mired in falsehood of the truth?
just show why I believe it and why it is biblical.
(emphasis mine) I guess you just answered my question. You DO want to convince me that I'm wrong, and that I need to become a Calvinist.
Calvinism is a whole buy-in and it takes a long time to come to the conclusions, scripturally.
That's because the bulk of scripture doesn't support it. The bulk of scripture talks about God giving people choices and them being able to respond to those choices in two opposite fashions.
Most won't get to that point, it is a paradigm shift from freewill thinking and logic to God empathizing logic (not meaning to disparage one not a Calvinist, it is just that the Calvinist had to come to a decision that taking up his/her cross and denying self, had to be applied to theology as well).
You make it sound like God's logic is completely alien to our logic--not His thoughts, but His logic. Is that true? If God's logic is alien to ours, then we can't reason together with God--we would be talking a different language. If we can't reason, then why do we talk at all?

But God's messages to His people were always in their language, not in some other language or logic that they couldn't understand.
:nono: That is also a freewill answer. If anything, the rest of Christendom should appreciate Calvinism for making one think. I believe we are under-appreciated. John 3:18
See, Calvinists help you think, and help correct where it goes wrong.
You'll have to help me to think here--what does John 3:18 have to do with making us think?
This is an important correction: MOST conflict between a Calvinist and Free-will theists is over Free-will constructs, misapplied to Calvinism.
Not from what I've seen. It works both ways--that Calvinists apply their constructs to free-will thinking and vice versa. So I can see where you might get confused between freewill "logic" and Calvinist "logic". But what you're really describing is presuppositions.
Another way to understand this is that Calvinism is Monergism (what God does) whereas Freewill theism is Synergism (God works with man to save him/her). For the Freewill theist, his salvation is in his/her own hands.
Yes, I can almost see that--since I can send God's own son to die for me, and also raise Him up from the dead, my salvation is in my own hands. Well, ok, maybe I can't see that.
Rather, Calvinists believe his/her sin condition is in his/her own hands, but that they are enslaved to it, not as God's fault.
I don't think there's much quarrel here, except that you seem to be using a Calvinistic construct to build a hole in the free-will thinking.
In other words, the things God often gets blamed for in Calvinism is not God's fault - we were born enslaved to another master and that bondage and master necessarily ends in death. Matthew 6 tells us we 'love' one of two masters. In that sense, this is what we mean by no 'free' will. A slave has a will, but he/she is severely restricted, no matter how much he/she loves the master. The main point, is that we are not free-agents, there are only two masters and we already belong to one or the other.
Yes, and the only way to break free from the one is to believe in the other (His method of freedom). If there's another way, like being free from the one from the foundation of the world, it doesn't seem to mesh with the scriptures.
Christ's work is sufficient to break every chain (Universalism) but I am not sure what order makes for one and not another to switch masters. You rightly called that. I would have one time said "free will." I 'think' I wasn't thinking deeply enough about important matters and was taking the easy, perhaps logical answer, except when I started wondering more deeply how logical it really was. Most people never do that (because they deem it unnecessary, or for whatever reason). There are few of us Calvinists.

I think you wrestle with these thoughts well. Again, if Calvinism is naught but a sounding board for most people, I think it is an under-appreciated theology. At one time, when I was thinking like this, I realized I wasn't a 'free' agent. It changed the scenario to something quite a bit different.
I don't know that I see Calvinism as a "sounding board". Those proponents that I know get rather defensive of it when questioned. Maybe I don't understand your reference.
Yep, I thought that too. We identify with or Savior, but not in this instance. In this instance, I was wrong (again, "I", not trying to force Calvinism, each system only makes sense within the full embrace of that said system). Jesus was/is God, and the only genuinely 'free' agent (God) in/out of the universe. Colossians 1:16-20
Jesus made himself a servant to the Father's will, nullifying His free agency.
I genuinely believe only scripture can make a Calvinist, though God may use Calvinists in one's life. If scripture reading does not make one a Calvinist, I'm not as bothered, God is sovereign over our lives, but that too is more Calvinist in belief and trust. Proverbs 16:9
I don't think scripture reading by itself makes one a Calvinist. I think it takes commentaries and creeds and a fair amount of explanation, or perhaps a greater focus on some scripture than others.
And what is "sovereignty"? It's a word that's bandied about way too much without people really thinking about what it means. It doesn't mean that God is the only agent, but that God's plan will prevail over other agents' plans.

Sovereignty is explained pretty well in God's dealing with angels, devils and humans. 1. If persons can but don't do what God wants, He gets rid of them. 2. If they can and do, He keeps them around. 3. If they can't, He makes it possible for them to be able to, then go back to the first two.

genuineoriginal

Sovereignty is explained pretty well in God's dealing with angels, devils and humans. 1. If persons can but don't do what God wants, He gets rid of them. 2. If they can and do, He keeps them around. 3. If they can't, He makes it possible for them to be able to, then go back to the first two.

Sounds about right.

Lon

Do you accept that there is a difference between what you cannot understand vs. what cannot be understood?
You are missing a parameter in your question. "What cannot be understood by me?" No. What cannot be understood by me, but by another? Yes. Example: This logical question isn't as logical as I think you intended. Does that mean I couldn't understand it but that it was understandable? No. I may have even anticipated the logic and addressed what was missing. Missing pieces means 'simplify' not 'solve.' Math and logic are very close to the same in functionality.

Put another way, there are things that you get wrong
Yes.

that cause confusion
Yes, but not sure where this part is headed. If I say 2x-7= y; y=15 and x =12, I'm wrong. The confusion may go no further than the quick rework.

and then there are things that are irrational and cannot be understood because they are wrong.
Yes. Another for instance: "Can God make a rock He cannot lift?"
The answer is that the question asks an absurd. Neither "yes" or "no" answer the question. Rather, the answer is 'wrong' or 'poor' question.
Do you believe it is possible to know the difference?
Yes, but needs more information, example "always" possible, would be "no." A round circle is impossible until multidimensional speech. A unicorn doesn't exist, except in narwhals and other single horned animals.

I worked a long time on the 'rock that cannot be lifted' before "the question is absurdly wrong" came to mind. Some people still wrestle with the Monty Hall 3-door dilemma of changing choice and there is dissention over 50/50 or a 33/66 split. So, on the face, yes. It is possible to know the difference between wrong and irrational.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Bible does not teach this.
It's not my job to make your argument for you. Too many critics of Calvinism are intellectual freeloaders. I can't refute a nonexistent argument. Unless and until you put an actual argument on the table, there's nothing for me to evaluate. Critics of Calvinism need to master the difference between assertions and arguments, become aware of their unexamined assumptions, learn that just because something *seems* to be wrong to them, that creates no presumption that their perception is correct.

Who said it did?
Then you agree this fallen lump of clay DESERVED no universal mercy. Are you now arguing that each and every one gets it?

I've said it 100 times because it's all that needs be said: God (in the Bible) damns those who will not believe. If you're right, He lies because they're only doing that which He preordained them to do, not what He states they CHOSE to do because there is no "chose."
See immediately above. You are confused. At least be consistent, not double-minded. Either the lump is fallen or it is not. You tacitly agreed it is. So how is God at fault for leaving those He has not loved before time in their state of fallenness? Why is God not within His right to ordain them to dishonor and wrath for their sin, to the praise of his glorious justice. (Mat 11:25-26; Rom 9:17-18, 21-22; 2 Tim 2:19-20; 1 Pet 2:8; Jude 1:4).

Reformed theology makes Him a liar for His damning as a choice what He knows cannot be a choice. The Bible says He simply couldn't do this. Seriously, now...which do you expect us to believe?
Either the lump of clay is fallen or it is not. Are you really not getting this?

In the decree of God there is no violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established. Get that? Had God not decreed that all may choose according to their greatest inclinations when they so choose no one would be able to choose (Acts 2:23, Matt. 17:12, Acts 4:27-28, John 19:11, Prov. 16:33).

EVERY SINGLE DOCTRINE we can build upon the Bible - no matter who builds it - can and must first be traced right back to the revealed character of God. The secret things belong to Him and His ways are usually not our ways...but we CAN know Him according to what He told us about Himself. If a doctrine doesn't align with what He says is true of Himself, it's to be rejected as a lie of Satan.
Works for me. No one denies we can have analogical knowledge of God, ectypal knowledge of the archetype, God. Now how about making an actual argument that I can work with in support of your naked assertions? No intellectual freeloading allowed. I will not make an argument for you.

Paul said both, so both are true: God has reconciled the world unto Himself, but that does not automatically result in the forgiveness/justification of the world with no regard to faith, as universalists claim. If it did, Paul would have said so. Rather, God still expects and requires faith expressed by believing the Gospel of the grace of God. If we do not give Him that faith our reconciliation goes nowhere. We remain unjustified and unsaved, and we remain subject to wrath and the Lake of Fire. What part of this do you disagree with?
No. As we see in Romans 1, belief is a duty of all mankind, which is why their refusal to believe deepens their already state of condemnation (remember that fallen lump of clay). Faith is a grant from God. Paul did not in any way say that Christ died for all the sins of all men. If so, all in Hell are being punished for sins remitted in full already by our Lord's active and passive obedience. I call DOUBLE JEOPARDY! Your view declares Christ suffered the penalty of sin for every man, i.e., ETERNAL CONDEMNATION - “The wages of sin are death” (Romans 6:23a), and yet God turns around and punishes some people for the EXACT SAME SINS Christ suffered for at Calvary. This kind of theology unwittingly charges God with injustice.

Rather, Paul was clear that Our Lord died for those given to Him by the Father and only those.

God so LOVED the world that He GAVE His only begotten Son. You cannot separate the intense loving from the definite giving. God commendeth His LOVE toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ DIED FOR US. Again, electing love is manifested in particular redemption. Scripture leads us to distinct and clear views of God's saving purpose so that through patience and comfort of the Scripture we might have hope. The idea you are proposing leads to a nebulous view of saving grace which weakens assurance of God's love.

You want to argue, “The difference between the sinner who is in hell and the one who goes to heaven is that one BELIEVES, and the other doesn’t BELIEVE.

Since you claim Paul supports your view, I'll let Paul answer this foolish statement:

Not by works of righteousness (INCLUDING OUR GOOD WORKS OR OUR FAITH) which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost” (Titus 3:5).

I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness (THE HOLINESS OR SATISFACTION TO LAW AND JUSTICE REQUIRED TO ALLOW A SINNER TO CONTINUE IN GOD’S PRESENCE) come by the law (by any sinner’s obedience or faith), THEN CHRIST IS DEAD IN VAIN” (Galatians 2:21).

God's intentions are made clear in Scripture. If you wish to ascend higher and peek behind the curtain, the Holy Spirit shuts the door by the mouth of Paul, when Paul informs us that God's love of His chosen was founded on the purpose of his will (Eph. 1:5).

The Apostle John wrote of Christ’s work at Calvary as a PROPITIATION - “And He is the PROPITIATION for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 2:2)

John didn’t write that Christ was trying to be the “propitiation” (satisfaction to both the penalty and precept of God’s holy law) for every man, woman and child. Rather, John clearly declared Christ “IS” the “propitiation for OUR SINS.” (Those Christ represented or THE ELECT). When we read of propitiation in Scripture, it always involves perfect satisfaction and reconciliation through an appropriate sacrifice. The Greek word for “propitiation” is used three times in the New Testament, and in every case it always declares Christ and His righteousness ALONE as the hope of our being propitiated (declared legally righteous and holy) to God (Romans 3:25; 1 John 2:2; 1 John 4:10).

Our Lord makes it even more pointed: "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep" (John 10:26). The Shepherd knows who are His sheep. If a prerequisite (that you can say) for believing is being the sheep, and knowing that Christ said He lays His life down for the sheep, yet, He tells the Jews here that they are not of His sheep, would this not conclude that Christ is saying, "I am not going to lay my life down for you since you are not of my sheep" ? I don't see how any clearer Christ can be in John 10 about for whom He is laying his life down. I would hope when you partake of the Supper that you do not say (as must Robert Pate) at the Lord's Table: "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for EVERYONE IN THE WORLD,..."" Sigh.

When we want to discover what was meant by our Lord's sacrifice for the "whole world" or "all men", we need only look to the final book of Scripture, which explains what "all" and "world" mean as relates to salvation: And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, (Rev 5:9). Trying to force this clear teaching to read "each and every person" is just plain entrenchment in a view read into what Scripture is clearly not teaching.

Indeed, Christ’s life, death, and resurrection was not an attempt by God to make men savable, if they fulfilled certain conditions, even INCLUDING FAITH. It was His actual accomplishment of the justification of EVERY ELECT SINNER who Christ represented by His obedience unto death at Calvary.

Finally, our Lord's High Priestly prayer in John 17 makes it clear that not "all" (each and every person) are the subject of His prayer.

Why would God command belief if it can't result in anything? What's the point? They're already damned by virtue of their reprobation; whatever they believe, it makes no difference. Doesn't He know that?
The duty to believe is upon each and every person (see above). That they do not compounds their guilty state. You continue to ignore the fallen lump contemplated in God's hands. Bringing the decree into the sincere offer of the gospel to all is the error of hyper-Calvinism. The Scriptures reveal to men, as creatures, to have creaturely confidence, the maximal possible confidence they can have, that Christ is offered for their salvation in the Gospel. They need not peer into hidden things and wonder about whether they have been hypothetically or really decreed to believe the Gospel. It is sufficient for them to hear and believe or reject the historical proclamation of the Gospel. No person has to go up to heaven to discover God's secret decree to give faith and repentance to some. No person has to descend into the depths of their own experience to conclude they have been called. The gospel itself gives a full and free warrant to receive and rest upon Christ alone for salvation. Anyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will not be turned away, nor lost to Him.

As for the fallen lump contemplated by God when creating, those purposely left by God in their state, Scripture speaks expressly on the relation and action of God towards them, as it has been determined by His eternal and immutable counsel. They are vessels of wrath fitted to destruction (Rom. 9:22), enemies of the cross of Christ (Phil. 3:18), delivered unto thraldom to obey Satan as their god, (2 Cor. 4:4), ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth (2 Tim. 3:7). Any goodness they experience from the hand of God is a bittersweet. It serves to inure the reprobate and to prepare them for the day of wrath (Rom. 2:4, 5). Indeed, God has been pleased to leave multitudes of them without the sweet fragrance of the gospel, and of those that do come under its aroma, the Gospel becomes a savor of death unto death (2 Cor. 2:16). The Gospel's promises were never intended for them, having only been purchased by Christ for the elect (2 Cor. 1:20); and the Gospel's commandments are odious to them, for they are never graciously renewed by the Holy Ghost (Rom. 8:7). And when they stumble at the word, continuing in their disobedience, it is because that is whereunto they were appointed in accord with the good pleasure of God (1 Pet. 2:8).

Had God decreed the salvation of all men, it would be possible to predicate “that God desires the salvation of all men.” Since, however, God has not decreed the salvation of all men, but has only commanded that all men be saved, and since God’s revealed preceptive will only commands what ought to be done, the most that can be said is that "God desires that all men be under an obligation to be saved". The nature of God is what God is irrespective of the creature. So while the offer of the gospel might very well imply a disposition of loving-kindness on the part of God, that is all it could imply. For it is the eternal decree of God which has determined the mode in which God shall express His nature towards the creature.

Sadly, this is an aspect of the eternal decree which is too often overlooked. The nature of God is what God is in se— in Himself—not what He is with respect to anything outside of Himself. It is the eternal decree which has determined not only what shall be, but also the relation and action of God towards the creature.

So, some might ask,
"if this be the relation which God sustains to the reprobate, why does He allow them to be partakers with the elect in the generous invitation of gospel promises and in the ingenuous proclamation of gospel commands?"

We Reformed answer with another question:
"if God did not send gospel promises and commands to them, would that be proof enough that He had no desire or love for them?"

We Reformed will also answer the question for those that do not understand the rejoinder above: It is for the elects’ sake.

How then comes the Gospel to the elect? It comes to them not from Christ as their Surety, since He prays not for any mediation of His own towards them, rather for the elect’s sake.

Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and who among you feareth God, to you... is the word of salvation, to you and for your cause, that ye may be saved, is the Gospel, sent (Acts 13.26).

For all things, our suffering, our dying, are... for your sake (2 Cor. 4.15).

Therefore I endure all things... for the elect’s sake, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Jesus Christ, with eternal glory (2 Tim. 2.10).

Thus, there is no salvation but that which is in Christ Jesus our Lord, the Author and Cause,... and meriting Procurer of eternal salvation(Hebr. 5.9). The gospel cannot be regarded as having any intention of benefit for the reprobate simply because the benefits it holds out to its hearers were only procured by Christ for the elect. If there were any benefit to be obtained by the reprobate, why do they not all hear the gospel, say the heathen in the jungle, or the multitudes living and dying in China during the early days? No, their hearing of the gospel must be due to the fact that those who are sent to publish it do not know what is not revealed in God's purposes (Deut. 29:29) and cannot distinguish between the elect and the reprobate. The Lord, in His wonderful providence, sends the gospel to wherever He has His elect that they might be made partakers of the benefits revealed therein; and this gospel is commanded by God to be published promiscuously to all, lest the restricting or limiting of it should result in any of the elect not hearing, and so, not obeying its message.

It is a plain fact that God expects and requires faith because LACK of faith, REFUSING faith in Christ, is the very grounds on which He damns those who hear and reject the Gospel. That proves it is not a gift He gives only to some but not others. It is the innate ability of ALL MEN, going right back to Adam and FALLEN, DEAD IN SIN Cain, who God tried to reason with...

...God expects faith, indicating all have the capacity for the faith He expects. Else, His condemnation specifically for faithlessness is unjust and insane.

...Also, Titus 2:11. If you're right, this is false.

No, as above, the duty of all is belief, not faith, which is a grant from God, you are not only saved by faith in opposition to works, but your very faith is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God (Eph. 2:8).

I'm glad you cited Titus 2:11 because it helps establish my frequent argument that there is no passage in Scripture that speaks of so-called prevenient grace. While you may construe this passage as arguing against a limited atonement, the question of the extent of the atonement is distinct from the question of whether or not God gave grace that effectively overcame total inability in all people. In fact, the doctrine of prevenient grace was invented to explain away total inability because it is untenable with a desire to defend an unlimited atonement and libertarian free-will. Now you walk with the Romanists who propagated such a view.

The Scripture knows nothing of that which implies that when people hear the Gospel, the ball is in their court when it comes to salvation, or that God has made His move, now it's up to us to make our move. The unbeliever will never seek God's righteousness for the unbeliever is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9); full of evil (Mark 7:21-23); loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19); unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12); helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6); dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1); by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3); cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14); and a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

Further, that little word "For" in Titus 2:11 points back to Titus 2:1-10. The reason we are not to make a distinction in whom we teach, such as the young, old, men, women, husband, wives, slaves, and masters, is because the grace of God does not make a distinction in those people groups.

Not if they're reprobates.
Intrinsic merit is in view here, as I so stated. Not extrinsic merit. Everything is about God's intentions, not our feeble notions of what God should be doing according to our feeble minds.

"Without faith it is impossible to please God." That axiom- and it is an absolute axiom, don't forget that - makes no sense in the context of condemnation if faith is a gift given to only a select few. It makes even less sense when the Bible repeatedly shows God condemning LACK of faith specifically for being LACK of faith.

You tell me: can He justly condemn someone for not exercising the very gift that (according to you) He elected to not give them? How would doing this not make Him a liar?

I think I understand Paul just fine on these points.
No, you do not understand Paul. Throughout your rejoinder, despite having agreed with me, you ignore the fallen lump in the contemplated hands of God. My surrejoinder herein has answered all your complaints.

AMR

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You are missing a parameter in your question. "What cannot be understood by me?" No. What cannot be understood by me, but by another? Yes. Example: This logical question isn't as logical as I think you intended. Does that mean I couldn't understand it but that it was understandable? No. I may have even anticipated the logic and addressed what was missing. Missing pieces means 'simplify' not 'solve.' Math and logic are very close to the same in functionality.
I have no doubt whatsoever that my question was perfectly clear. Please just answer the question. What you posted here made no sense at all.

Skipping the rest of the irrelevancies you posted...

So, on the face, yes. It is possible to know the difference between wrong and irrational.
What do you mean by "on the face of it"? I've asked you a very simple, yes or no, question. Let me rephrase it again...

Can you know the difference between not having the skills or information to figure out something vs. something that is actually false?

If so, how?

You're going to answer 'yes' but I expect that you will both continue to believe that your answer is 'yes' and that you will not be willing to alter your doctrine even after I demonstrate that it is in fact unfalsifiable.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Musterion,

Has AMR ever once actually answered one of your questions?

Just asking.

Lon

Hi Lon, Thanks for the gracious reply!

Hi Derf. Thanks for yours also.

I'd be interested to learn if you felt that Rom 9 was different from the rest of scripture in some way. Are you basing your whole "conversion" to Calvinism on that one chapter?
It is an important chapter, in that Paul spells out clearly, having a formal background in the OT, his view on all scriptures. Do I see more in other scriptures? Yes.

Why not? Wouldn't you want to convince anyone that is mired in falsehood of the truth? (emphasis mine) I guess you just answered my question. You DO want to convince me that I'm wrong, and that I need to become a Calvinist.
:nono: Paul planted, Apollos watered, God gave this increase. Same scenario here.

That's because the bulk of scripture doesn't support it.
I understand you believe that. I come from a long history of background where Calvinists and Arminians oddly got along despite that disagreement.
That is what was meant by 'biblical.' I tend to be inclusive as often as I can be, despite disagreement, if such isn't salvific or detrimental to the body.

The bulk of scripture talks about God giving people choices
I don't agree, but don't overtly disagree either. Certainly Joshua called Israel to 'choose this day.' HOWEVER I don't believe choice was given, but allowed. Genesis 3:22 says 'now' man is like us, knowing good and evil (no choice or knowledge prior). I don't see choice as a gift, but the thing that enslave[s/d] us in sin. That's no gift.

and them being able to respond to those choices in two opposite fashions.

You make it sound like God's logic is completely alien to our logic--not His thoughts, but His logic. Is that true?
If by this you mean kindergarten math is different than Calculus, yes.

If God's logic is alien to ours, then we can't reason together with God--we would be talking a different language. If we can't reason, then why do we talk at all?
Logic can quickly become a 'who is smarter' scenario and I'm as arrogant as the next guy when it comes to that. I 'think' logically, that this doesn't make sense, but I caveat that so as to try to keep my own ego in check. At the same time, that tends to start a bit of an ego-fest anyway. If God's logic is alien to our own, we still possess the same logic as one another. Logic is basically word math. Is God bound by the math of the physical universe? :nono: Such would make Him a product of, rather than Creator of. Thus, potentially, not only His ways, but His reality as well.
It is in my sig as well, Ephesians 3:20&21

But God's messages to His people were always in their language, not in some other language or logic that they couldn't understand.
And I believe He clearly tells us His ways are higher, and that we have what we need. It doesn't, however, give us exclusivity or corner on the market concerning truth or God.

You'll have to help me to think here--what does John 3:18 have to do with making us think?
It was used, rather to get you to think about your question to AMR.

Not from what I've seen. It works both ways--that Calvinists apply their constructs to free-will thinking and vice versa. So I can see where you might get confused between freewill "logic" and Calvinist "logic". But what you're really describing is presuppositions.
:think: Construct Presupposition I'm not seeing the great disparagement.

Yes, I can almost see that--since I can send God's own son to die for me, and also raise Him up from the dead, my salvation is in my own hands. Well, ok, maybe I can't see that. I don't think there's much quarrel here, except that you seem to be using a Calvinistic construct to build a hole in the free-will thinking.
Rewrite my 'you choose' to whatever better suits you. If you'll allow, let me help start it off:
The bulk of scripture talks about God giving people choices
I'm not sure you shouldn't have just skipped this part and went to your next sentence though:

Yes, and the only way to break free from the one is to believe in the other (His method of freedom). If there's another way, like being free from the one from the foundation of the world, it doesn't seem to mesh with the scriptures.
There are different Calvinists which might have something to do with that particular confusion :idunno:

I don't know that I see Calvinism as a "sounding board". Those proponents that I know get rather defensive of it when questioned.
I 'think' I understand it. We are a minority and such always gets the rub. My fellowship has always been congenial over the particular.

Jesus made himself a servant to the Father's will, nullifying His free agency.
It would go pretty deep, I think, to discuss the theological implications of this. The basic gist is that it was voluntary and so much different than your and my condition as creations. It proves, rather, His freewill against our own.

I don't think scripture reading by itself makes one a Calvinist. I think it takes commentaries and creeds and a fair amount of explanation, or perhaps a greater focus on some scripture than others.
It did me.

And what is "sovereignty"? It's a word that's bandied about way too much without people really thinking about what it means. It doesn't mean that God is the only agent, but that God's plan will prevail over other agents' plans.
It expresses rule "reign" from above/super "sover." I'm not sure "God interacts with us" can be overbandied, can it?

I'm following to a small degree, I think. Blessings In Him, -Lon

Lon

I have no doubt whatsoever that my question was perfectly clear. Please just answer the question. What you posted here made no sense at all.
Honestly, I rarely get you, or think you are that clear. In fact, I think, at times, you are unclear, and shallow. On top of that, I'm arrogant. Such just makes bad communication all around.
Skipping the rest of the irrelevancies you posted...
Actually probably a good plan. I am often left guessing where you are headed and should just stop and ask for directions. Not that you are particularly terrible, just that we don't think the same way. I'd never ask you for directions on a road trip. We genuinely don't communicate well.

What do you mean by "on the face of it"? I've asked you a very simple, yes or no, question.
It doesn't matter whether the extemporaneous 'on the face of it' was there are not. It answered your question and allows for further deeper interaction if one is so inclined.

Let me rephrase it again...
This means nothing to me. I have no context, like trying to read your mind. Let me just look at words that have no meaning, but their own out of any context expression:
Can you know the difference between not having the skills or information to figure out something vs. something that is actually false?
This is a logical mess, Clete. And two dimensional. And often false (it is an incorrect sentence). I am every bit as arrogant, but worse, think I can readily demonstrate my logical prowess. I'll say "yes" yet again.

If so, how?
I can't play trombone. I know when someone else is playing it wrong.

You're going to answer 'yes' but I expect that you will both continue to believe that your answer is 'yes' and that you will not be willing to alter your doctrine even after I demonstrate that it is in fact unfalsifiable.
Resting in Him,
Clete
Honestly? You are a two-dimensional thinker and often go for the cursory without a lot of depth. It is partly personality, you are phlegmatic, and in keeping, it is also a bit arrogant in that you project your worldview without realizing you are often wrong, thinking more often that you are right and/or communicating when you aren't. It is hard to talk to phlegmatics because they must be confronted more bluntly than others. I've a bit of choleric, especially in these kinds of discussions, and we don't generally get along well. I have an amiable side that seeks a meeting of ways, but that isn't especially embraced or cared for in phlegmatics. It is almost like we should never cross paths.

Derf

I think you may be misunderstanding me. I was trying to explain what you should have said in order to correctly caricature Calvinism. Calvinists say that the election of some and the damnation of the many is for God's glory not because it shows him to be a righteous judge of those who have chosen freely to be wicked when they could have chosen to be good but because those who have been shown mercy can realise the mercy shown to them in the face of those who have not been shown mercy. From our point of view, that election may be arbitrary but the Calvinist is only grateful for it and hence views it as an aspect of God's glory.

Maybe. I've misunderstood people before. :)
What I said was:
Derf said:
That is, His divine will was thwarted unless we caveat it in one of two ways.
1. That it wasn't really God's will (and then Jesus wanted/willed something different from His Father), or
2. That God's divine will includes the desire for people to come to him freely and not by divine coercion.
You replied:
Desert Reign said:
You must add: 3. That God's will includes the desire for some people freely not to come to him - and you must modify 2 to 'some people'.
This is only for God's greater glory.
John Calvin of course related 1 Tim 2:4 to classes of people rather than individuals. Perhaps he forgot to mention the class of those who were not elected before the foundation of the world? Obviously, later reformed theologians corrected him; it must have just been a slip of the pen. Anyone can call on God but only those who are elect. It's a bit like Henry Ford, who said 'You can have a model T car in any colour you like - so long as it's black.'
I think your #3 is implicit in my #2, and my math is better than yours :D, as I proposed and offered exactly 2 caveats.

Plus, I'm not trying to caricature Calvinism. I'm trying to understand its faults in order to describe them, either to its adherents or to those that might be heading that way. Whether I do either with any effectiveness is questionable. What you have suggested as a third point is a logical progression from my second, just as double predestination is a logical progression from single predestination. I don't see that as a problem, only a symptom of the problem of Calvinism, because it (the progression) is logically consistent.

Derf

I don't think logic holds the solution at all. But logic of some kind is necessary to grasp the solution. And Paul was decidedly logical--not in a way that was outside of human understanding, but in a way that was intended to get people to the right conclusion: that Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, etc.

I appreciate your comment about being able to be shown wrong. I hope we can all live up to that ideal that we can be shown wrong. But I don't know that logic is needed to understand something that is presented as a fact. What is needed may be more information, or more intelligence, or more understanding--which we may or may not ever be able to achieve--to understand how God's Son, who is God, can come in human form, die a human death, live a human life again, and stay in human form for "the rest" of eternity (whatever that means).

And I'm quite confident (and in agreement with you, I think) that the creeds are speaking of Jesus's natures being unconfused, not us repeaters of creeds. But it isn't necessarily because of faulty logic that we can be confused--it's a lack of those things that haven't been supplied (info, intelligence, or understanding, or maybe something else I haven't the intelligence to know to list).

Derf

Freewill as a 'gift' is flatly rejected by Calvinism. We rather see it like a stolen item and we don't thank God for things we've stolen, or that Satan stole and passed along.
I think the problem you're having is thinking it as an item at all, given, stolen or otherwise. Freewill is not an item that is given or taken, it's a description of our being. God made us in His image, and assuming that applies in some way to our ability to act somewhat independently of Him (as implied in the Garden story) it wasn't taken away when Adam sinned. What was taken away from him was life, as threatened, and a few helpful things God had set up to give him abundant life (easy food source, animals that were not harmful, etc.) that are probably a less important part of the story. So in my mind, our "total depravity" is realized in the fact that nothing we can do will remove that death from us--nothing! And in fact, nothing God could do (or would do, I'm not sure which) would remove it either. Someone had to die that we might live. Someone that is better than us, that didn't deserve to die, and there are most likely a billion or so other qualifications that I don't begin to understand.

Lot of problems with these speculations. It doesn't apply to Calvinism, but more the thinking of freewill (as a gift) trying to wrestle with Calvinism in Freewill terms. 1) No 'free' will not that man doesn't have it, but that it was not a gift, but rather a result of the Fall Genesis 3:22 (no gift).
2) God is not okay with evil, though will craft it to benefit those who belong to Him, to His glory. See my sig, I can speculate a bit but I'm finite, God isn't and His ways are higher. What I can say is that God is Love, among His other attributes, and using our fallen condition has a loving goal, through atrocity of our own making. 3) God's justice also is a bit beyond me as a finite creature. I suspect much of it is more 'consequences' but that isn't to say God isn't completely sovereign over His creation.
I'm not sure God's justice is that foreign to us. When He says "vengeance is Mine", He affirms that vengeance as we see it is not that far from how He sees it, but that He knows how to repay better than we do. One thing Calvinism does is put things on such a plane that nobody is allowed to understand it, and the "secret things of God" passage mentioned before is the all-encompassing hand-wave to keep anyone from thinking through it carefully.
Glory means 'directs one's attention to God and rightly see His divine attributes.'
From what you've described it doesn't even seem possible to "rightly see His divine attributes", because you've put them on that plane that is unattainable, even to the elect (since you seem to be one). But in the immortal words of Lewis Carroll,"[Glory] means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less." And I would explain that, but my wife just called me to bed. So I won't. Goodnight Lon.

Lon

I appreciate your comment about being able to be shown wrong. I hope we can all live up to that ideal that we can be shown wrong.
I'm older, on theology change, I move a LOT slower so need more patience than others used to have to extend. The good news is, if you get me there (meaningfully from scripture of course) I'd stay there fairly solidly as well. I was Amyraldian for a very long time.

Lon

Hello Derf,
I think the problem you're having is thinking it as an item at all, given, stolen or otherwise. Freewill is not an item that is given or taken, it's a description of our being. God made us in His image, and assuming that applies in some way to our ability to act somewhat independently of Him (as implied in the Garden story) it wasn't taken away when Adam sinned.
Genesis 3:22 It is a possession of sorts, just like all knowledge can be seen as such. The scriptures encourage us to 'get' an education, for instance. Proverbs 4:5,7 even paying for it
Also, you said this:
...If God...gives ...choice ... He gave us the ability to do wrong when He gave us the ability to do right.

What was taken away from him was life, as threatened, and a few helpful things God had set up to give him abundant life (easy food source, animals that were not harmful, etc.) that are probably a less important part of the story. So in my mind, our "total depravity" is realized in the fact that nothing we can do will remove that death from us--nothing! And in fact, nothing God could do (or would do, I'm not sure which) would remove it either. Someone had to die that we might live. Someone that is better than us, that didn't deserve to die, and there are most likely a billion or so other qualifications that I don't begin to understand.
A number of agreeable sentences here :thumb:

I'm not sure God's justice is that foreign to us. When He says "vengeance is Mine", He affirms that vengeance as we see it is not that far from how He sees it, but that He knows how to repay better than we do. One thing Calvinism does is put things on such a plane that nobody is allowed to understand it, and the "secret things of God" passage mentioned before is the all-encompassing hand-wave to keep anyone from thinking through it carefully.
J.I. Packer, John Piper, and these other learned men aren't saying they don't study, they are saying that 1) after studying, they realize there is more that they don't know, than they do, 2) that it is a learned and scholastic opinion, and 3) that it is also a challenge that others can't do better either.
My specific point was that there is a probable balance between judgment and consequence. Also, in another thread regarding hell, the question was: "Why eternal if punishment? Punishment is more retributive how long does that take to satisfy?" I thought it a good question but dragged my luggage in here regarding it. Apologies, but that is where the 'mystery' lay on this specific. I 'think' the answer lies in consequences but it left me with more question than answers. Again, not a lot to do with this thread, so apologies for importing.

From what you've described it doesn't even seem possible to "rightly see His divine attributes", because you've put them on that plane that is unattainable, even to the elect (since you seem to be one). But in the immortal words of Lewis Carroll,"[Glory] means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
I simply see this: I am a finite being, therefore anything I think, do, feel, reflects that limitation. God does not have that limitation. It doesn't mean He isn't relational, it just means He is as Ephesians 3:20,21 says He is, and well beyond me. Example: A 1st grader can check my basic math, rightly. A first grader cannot check my algebra (although they are learning it early these days in simple forms).

And I would explain that, but my wife just called me to bed. So I won't. Goodnight Lon.
God bless. -Lon