Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

why would it be her will to withhold sex from her husband?

Sometimes people just don't feel like having sex. That's a good enough reason. There's no obligation. Maybe her husband has poor personal hygiene, never engages in foreplay and is generally a crappy lover? Maybe he needs to work on the romance, make himself more desirable? Maybe there are emotional or physical problems that preclude intimacy?

Trad mentioned the idea of sex within a marriage being owed, like a marital debt. I disagree. My position is that the only debt owed is to love each other, and that is realized by staying together and growing in that love through "better or worse, sickness and health," etc. Does that marriage vow include stipulations about sexual intercourse? Isn't a possible lack of sex implied in the vow?

Quetzal

You have no idea what my marital qualities were. You only know my position on what the responsibility of both partners is with regards to sex. How can you possibly make any conclusions about it based solely on what my beliefs are. Like I said, I never forced myself on her. I guess what one believes is the only thing that matters to you.
What I do know if that you are okay with someone forcing sexual relations with their wife against her wishes. That is more than enough to make a judgement call, I think.

exminister

Let's go back to what I said:

The defense for this is the Bible altogether, one doesn't really need to 'prove it'. You have picked up a Bible before, I assume-
There's a reason why 'marital rape' is never mentioned in the Scriptures, and it's because the concept doesn't exist. It's impossible to 'rape' one's spouse. You don't have authority over sex because you both are one in the flesh. How are you 'raped' by your husband? He's your husband- perform as the wife.

1 Corinthians 7:4
The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife.

Now do I agree that a husband forcing himself on the wife is being a a jerk, and in some form of sin doing so? Yes. But do I think it is rape on the same level as how rape usually goes? No- it is just not spiritually or even logically sound, plain and simple.

Stop acting like a child and getting other people to fight your battles. People come at you with valid points on this subject and others relevant and you don't have anything to say, but you go run off and pull this crap. I've tried to avoid making these statements, but this is incredibly petty.

No mention of marital rape in the Bible?

No mention of "abortion" either.

elohiym

elohiym said:
Sometimes people just don't feel like having sex. That's a good enough reason.
not in a Godly marriage it isn't

What's your argument?

elohiym said:

I realize you believe your wife was obligated to have sex with you even if she didn't feel like it but that doesn't establish an obligation in marriage to have sex when one spouse doesn't want to.

Where does the obligation end? Sex isn't just about what you say it is or get out of the act. What if sex for her must start with dinner, a good film, a long conversation, intimate foreplay and then you need to perform athletically at least three times to satisfy her ... and she wants to do that every night? Are you obligated? Would God fault you if you said, "Uh, I'm a little sore and tired, and frankly not aroused at the moment, but I love you. Take a rain check?"

And what about your obligation to God to be fruitful and multiply? Is procreation obligatory, or is your body suddenly your own then?

badp

What on earth does "not feeling like it" have to do with rape? Some of the thinking on this thread has devolved into liberalesque half-thoughts and nonsense.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
No mention of marital rape in the Bible?

No mention of "abortion" either.

Abortion is brought up in one instance in the Bible, and it's where it is stated that if a man strikes a pregnant woman in a way that caused an abortion, he had to pay a fine- and that if the woman died as a result than he was put to death.

That's all the Bible says in relevance to unborn children.
The Bible has plenty to say about marriage and men being the head of the wife. There is everything about women yielding to men, as the entire spirit of it is patriarchal. 'Marital rape', by biblical standards, is something of a joke.

Usually, when there is little mention of something in the Bible, it is because it is largely unnecessary to do so. It's clear just by the few verses in scripture relating to homosexuality, for example, that it simply is just unnatural and something not to be bargained with. There's no need to expound further, or to be entertained.

bybee

Abortion is brought up in one instance in the Bible, and it's where it is stated that if a man strikes a pregnant woman in a way that caused an abortion, he had to pay a fine- and that if the woman died as a result than he was put to death.

That's all the Bible says in relevance to unborn children.
The Bible has plenty to say about marriage and men being the head of the wife. There is everything about women yielding to men, as the entire spirit of it is patriarchal. 'Marital rape', by biblical standards, is something of a joke.

Not to the wife who is raped.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Not to the wife who is raped.

Claiming to have been raped by one's husband... it's a joke. He's your husband- that's called an 'inconvenience'.

That seems to be the popular thing in today's world, women calling everything rape. There's even 'eye rape'. Women feel 'raped' when someone cat calls on the street. It's something that is losing the ability to be taken seriously. There are more pressing issues than a woman martyring themselves by their own self idolatry and attention-seeking, which men are suffering and being ignored because of it.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
A husband would not rape his wife. Love does not permit such a savage act.

Neither does it permit using one's body as a reward or to seize a spouse's will.
So, that argument fails. Not that it hasn't been brought up countless times anyway.

bybee

Neither does it permit using one's body as a reward or to seize a spouse's will.
So, that argument fails. Not that it hasn't been brought up countless times anyway.

It is not an argument. It is a statement of fact. In a loving relationship the good of the spouse comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.