The Two Natures of the Christian

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
They can be if they accept God's great free gift of salvation that has been provided by Jesus Christ.

I believe in freedom of religion. I also believe in freedom from religion.

And yet you try to impose your religion of antinomianism on others.

Robert Pate

Banned
Made up, as that is "vicarious law keeping," a perversion of the gospel of Christ. You talk like Nang-she talks like you. She asserts the same thing.

HOGWASH!

Jesus as our representative and substitute fulfilled the law in our name and on our behalf.

Robert Pate

Banned
Antinomianism is a religion about God. You even use scriptures to try to support your religion, Do you not have faith in your beliefs?

I have a doctrine, not a religion. My faith is in the work and person of Jesus Christ.

My beliefs are subject to change if they are compatible with the Bible. After 45 years I pretty well know in what and in whom I believe.

WeberHome

The work of Christ was imputed to Abraham

That's a point worth discussing seeing as how one of the more common questions I encounter online is: How were people in the Old Testament saved before Christ came along?

Forgiveness prior to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection wasn't 100% exoneration; rather, it was a reprieve, which Webster's defines as: to delay the punishment of (as a condemned prisoner); viz: a stay of execution, which is defined as: an order that temporarily stops an execution.

In other words: prior to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection, people's forgiven sins were set aside but they weren't forgotten; no, God kept those sins on the books where they hung over the forgiven people's heads like a sword of Damocles.

Ex 34:6-7. .Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished

Christ's crucifixion and resurrection is the basis for everybody's exoneration, both in the Old Testament era, and the New.

Rom 3:25 . . God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in His forbearance He had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished.

Heb 11:39 . .These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

John 8:56 . .Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

Being a prophet (Gen 20:7) Abraham foresaw quite a bit about Christ. (1Pet 1:10-12)

1John 2:2 . . He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

The "whole world" includes everybody from Adam to the present day, and beyond.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Robert Pate

Banned
That's a point worth discussing seeing as how one of the more common questions I encounter online is: How were people in the Old Testament saved before Christ came along?

Forgiveness prior to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection wasn't 100% exoneration; rather, it was a reprieve, which Webster's defines as: to delay the punishment of (as a condemned prisoner); viz: a stay of execution, which is defined as: an order that temporarily stops an execution.

In other words: prior to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection, people's forgiven sins were set aside but they weren't forgotten; no, God kept those sins on the books where they hung over the forgiven people's heads like a sword of Damocles.

Ex 34:6-7. .Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished

Christ's crucifixion and resurrection is the basis for everybody's exoneration, both in the Old Testament era, and the New.

Rom 3:25 . . God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in His forbearance He had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished.

Heb 11:39 . .These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

John 8:56 . .Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

Being a prophet (Gen 20:7) Abraham foresaw quite a bit about Christ. (1Pet 1:10-12)

1John 2:2 . . He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

The "whole world" includes everybody from Adam to the present day, and beyond.

Right, In the Old Testament era they were justified by believing in God's promise of a savior. They were justified by faith. Nothing has changed. We also are justified by faith.

Ben Masada

A Christian is a sinner and a saint at the same time.

It means that Christians serve two masters; The Law in their mind only while serving sin in their flesh. The formula is found in the gospel of Paul if you read the whole chapter 7 of Romans, culminating with Rom.
7:25)

Paul wrote,"For the good that I would do, I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do" Romans 7:19.

It means that, with the knowledge of the Law, Paul came to the understanding that he was living under the power of sin of the kind that acted upon him as a thorn in his flesh. However, he could do nothing about it. So, he thanked God in Jesus that, at least he could pay homage to the Law in his mind and continue serving sin in his flesh. (Rom. 7:25)

The Christian life is a struggle against sin, if you don't have this struggle in your life you may not have the Holy Spirit that convicts the Christian of sin. The Christian has the law of God and the nature of Christ written on his heart, Hebrews 8:10.

Well, yes, the Holy Spirit of HaShem does convict us of sin but through the medium of the Law and our Freewill. We have been granted with Freewill and HaShem leaves it up to us the decision to act upon our choices.

WeberHome

If He kept the law perfectly for us, why did He then need to die for us?

Christ didn't come into the world to obey the law for the world, rather, to fulfill the law for the world.

Matt 5:17-19 . . Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

The law mandates a curse upon all who disobey it.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

That's where Jesus's demise comes into play.

Rom 6:23 . .The wages of sin is death

Gal 3:13 . . Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us

Isa 53:6 . . We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Disbelievers will fulfill the law for themselves at the great white throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15 where they will undergo an execution akin to a foundry worker falling into a vat of molten iron.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Robert Pate

Banned
If He kept the law perfectly for us, why did He then need to die for us?

Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Covenant and the law.

Every jot and tittle of the law must be fulfilled, Matthew 5:18.

All that Jesus is and all that he did was for us.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Christianity is not really about a religion. It is really more about a person, The Lord Jesus Christ.

A kingdom is based on a family, in this case the family of God. Christianity is about how we relate to our Father's family.

WeberHome

A good example of this is Yom Kippur, a.k.a. the Great Day of Atonement.

There's a goat involved in the ritual commonly called a scape goat. But in reality, it's not a scape goat, rather, it's an escaping goat. Let me explain,.

The sins of the people are ceremoniously placed upon the goat, which is then turned loose in the great outdoors to fend for itself. Well; if you've ever raised goats, you know that turning a goat loose in the great outdoors is not a bad fate. They are survivors, they thrive, and they love freedom to roam.

The point is: that goat should be executed for a burnt offering in order to satisfy justice for the people's sins; but instead the goat is set free. Now what that means is: the goat is a fugitive from justice, and the people's sins are still out there somewhere; meaning, symbolically, that the people's sins have yet to be adequately punished; and we're talking about a whole year's worth of sins; year after year after year. That can really snowball over time.

musterion

My issue with VLK is with those who say Christ's perfect life under Law is credited to the believer, instead of what Paul taught: that the believer is declared dead to Law by the Cross.