Woman finds out during church sermon her husband is newly married

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
No, though I'd say the marital assets should be forfeit and the alimony commiserate. Or, I don't think we need to put him on the public dole. Let him make his way through the world paying her freight and without the means he accrued during the marriage. Otherwise you only take him out of wage earning ability and she ends up paying for it again.

I agree with you with one exception, he should be punished too. I know you knew I would take this position:p

Ones heart being led astray from God causes all kinds of punishment.
Strange woman will do that to you and that is exactly what we see in one case. In others we are told that they walked upright in all their ways. How do you harmonize that?

Are you being consistent? Do you hold that the King of Israel had a limit of only one horse? How many sheep can a rich man have? Is it sinful to have more than one?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Strange woman will do that to you and that is exactly what we see in one case. In others we are told that they walked upright in all their ways. How do you harmonize that?

Are you being consistent? Do you hold that the King of Israel had a limit of only one horse? How many sheep can a rich man have? Is it sinful to have more than one?

I hold what Jesus said. I reference genesis because that is what Jesus points back to, the intent of God, one man and one woman.

Genesis 2:24
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Matthew 19:4 "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'
5 and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?

Wife, not wives and 2, not more than 2

Easy to see in the OT where multiple wives created many problems and heartache.

Ones heart being led astray from God causes all kinds of punishment.
Wait a minute. I responded to what you said about this, and I asked you some questions that you have ignored. Could you address those questions before we move to other topics.

My position remains that wives are not a punishment. I hold that position because God's word specifically says:

Proverbs 18:22
He who finds a wife finds a good thing
and obtains favor from the Lord.

Can you counter with a verse that says she is a punishment?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Wait a minute. I responded to what you said about this, and I asked you some questions that you have ignored. Could you address those questions before we move to other topics.

My position remains that wives are not a punishment. I hold that position because God's word specifically says:

Proverbs 18:22
He who finds a wife finds a good thing
and obtains favor from the Lord.

Can you counter with a verse that says she is a punishment?
Ive already responded. A heart led astray from God, is all kinds of punishment for a man.

No one said a wife is a punishment.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So you agree she herself is not a punishment. Good.

Who was it that had their heart turned away by wives?

Both solomon and david. And heartache is shown over and over with other men and women in the ot when more than one wife is involved, now if you wish to go down this path, make your own thread to discuss polygamy in the old testament. Thanks.

Both solomon and david. And heartache is shown over and over with other men and women in the ot when more than one wife is involved, now if you wish to go down this path, make your own thread to discuss polygamy in the old testament. Thanks.
Yes and No. Haven't you read 1st Kings chapter 11?

1Ki 11:1 — 1Ki 11:8
Solomon Turns from the Lord
11​ Now King Solomon loved many foreign women, along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women, from the nations concerning which the Lord had said to the people of Israel, “You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods.” Solomon clung to these in love. He had 700 wives, who were princesses, and 300 concubines. And his wives turned away his heart. For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods, and his heart was not wholly true to the Lord his God, as was the heart of David his father. For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the Lord and did not wholly follow the Lord, as David his father had done. Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Molech the abomination of the Ammonites, on the mountain east of Jerusalem. And so he did for all his foreign wives, who made offerings and sacrificed to their gods.

Solomon did marry many women, but the problems began with women the Lord had forbidden His people to marry. Specifically, "daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women, from the nations concerning which the Lord had said to the people of Israel, “You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods.” "

Even in the NT we are told not to be unequally yoked. AND that is specifically how Solomon's heart was turned.

BUT in the case of David we read:
"So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the Lord and did not wholly follow the Lord, as David his father had done."

So David did not turn away as Solomon his son, despite having many wives.

Additionally we read:
1 Kings 15:5
because David did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and did not turn aside from anything that he commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

Solomon was turned by strange wives, not many wives, as the scripture says.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Please respect my thread and make your own thread if you wish to discuss polygamy in the bible. Second time ive asked.

Please respect my thread and make your own thread if you wish to discuss polygamy in the bible. Second time ive asked.
I was just responding to you. My point is that a wife is not a punishment, as someone had suggested. You went down this rabbit trail on your own. It's probably unavoidable considering the OP.

Last edited: