Free upgrade to Windows 10 - what do you think?

journey

Many home users of Windows 7 and 8 have already gotten offers of free upgrade to Windows 10. I got mine today. I really don't know what to think of it yet, and I'm seeking additional information.

I'm concerned about whether my purchased software will work on Windows 10 and many other unknowns. If I understand correctly, many may have run the preview version of Windows 10 and may have some of these answers. How about sharing whatever information we find since there is no hurry to decide?

journey

What happened to Windows 9?????

I don't think there ever was a Windows 9. I read somewhere that "9" was skipped by Microsoft. The reasons probably would be known only by Microsoft. Maybe someone else knows more about this question.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Many home users of Windows 7 and 8 have already gotten offers of free upgrade to Windows 10. I got mine today. I really don't know what to think of it yet, and I'm seeking additional information.

I'm concerned about whether my purchased software will work on Windows 10 and many other unknowns. If I understand correctly, many may have run the preview version of Windows 10 and may have some of these answers. How about sharing whatever information we find since there is no hurry to decide?

Check out this article on it : http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

RevTestament

Yeah, Windows 9 got skipped.
I haven't tried it, but tbh I plan to get a 2-in-1 Windows tablet and if it doesn't have Windows 10, upgrading to it. Windows 8 was kinda like Vista - too experimental. Windows 10 is supposed to run even faster, be just as retrocompatible, and be user friendlier as well as just run better than 8, which is why Microsoft is offering free upgrades to everyone - to keep them satisfied with Windows. My Windows 7 has actually presented me problems with running my older software such as Quickbooks. I would definitely use the backup function to make a clone image of your drive before upgrading to 10 tho. Not too long ago some reviewers still felt Microsoft had some work to do on 10.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, Windows 9 got skipped.
I haven't tried it, but tbh I plan to get a 2-in-1 Windows tablet and if it doesn't have Windows 10, upgrading to it. Windows 8 was kinda like Vista - too experimental. Windows 10 is supposed to run even faster, be just as retrocompatible, and be user friendlier as well as just run better than 8, which is why Microsoft is offering free upgrades to everyone - to keep them satisfied with Windows. My Windows 7 has actually presented me problems with running my older software such as Quickbooks. I would definitely use the backup function to make a clone image of your drive before upgrading to 10 tho. Not too long ago some reviewers still felt Microsoft had some work to do on 10.
:think: I have a few writing and photography programs. I'd need to know they were safe...and I'm relatively comfortable with 8, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try if it didn't monkey up the works.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I like 7 better than 8. and 8.1, so if 10 can work like 7, I would go with it, and if not, I wget my old computer cleaned up and stay with would rather 7
This new one has that same problem, the curser backs up into the previous text and I am sick of looking for it and writing it all again.

win 98 never had that problem nor did xp.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I wish I could have a good laptop that used XP? There is one older, maybe late 50s man in town who fixes computers and uses XP.

StanJ

I've heard it brings a lot of Windows 7 features back and less of the Win 8 experience. I did not like 8 at all and have been on 7 ever since.
I have not received a free upgrade off but then I never registered my OEM version.

journey

I read a few articles about upgrading to Windows 10 today, and I'll share a little about my understanding.

Your free offer to upgrade comes with an icon in your system tray that gives you an option to reserve your copy. One article I read indicates that Microsoft will start sending your computer files well before the scheduled release date of July 29, 2015. This is to spread out what they send, and the final files will be sent after the full release date. Another article indicated that the free upgrade offer is good for a year.

If I understand correctly, there is no going back once you upgrade. Windows 10 becomes your only operating system for the life of that computer.

Caledvwlch

I'm going with Mac on my next computer purchase.

I haven't found anything I wanted to do but couldn't on my Ubuntu machine though. And most Linux distros are free, so that helps.

But, in regards to Windows, it's usually been that every other version is good, starting with 98 (Second Edition). ME was awful. XP was good. Vista was awful. 7 was good. I've never used 8, but heard mostly negative things. Hopefully 10 will continue the trend and be a good one.

RevTestament

I wish I could have a good laptop that used XP? There is one older, maybe late 50s man in town who fixes computers and uses XP.
My personal take on XP is that u need excellent security software and stringent settings to keep it safe on the internet - I have too much trouble with internet garbage invading my XP computer - I don't keep anything I need on it. But as a stable office computer not used on the internet it is great....

I think the idea with Windows 10 is to create a light system which can be run on tablets and even phones, so that all those old Windows programs can be used portably - this will allow Microsoft to get into the personal digital device market much better and compete with Apple and Android - and it just might work - tablets would become useful business devices and not just personal entertainment gadgets. I have refrained from getting a tablet until now, and have just relied on my Android phone....

RevTestament

:think: I have a few writing and photography programs. I'd need to know they were safe...and I'm relatively comfortable with 8, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try if it didn't monkey up the works.

One of the main issues is that it will not have Win Media Center and the first version won't have anything to play videos etc so you will be dependent on browsers or 3rd party software for that. I don't really ever use Media Center anyway. I do plan to use some light weight picture editing software and 3D graphics design programs with mine. The new version will allow us to play a video window, music etc in the background while doing something else, and is basically supposed to bring back the best parts of 7 while getting rid of the annoyances of 8. I plan to let my kids experiment with 10 first....

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
One of the main issues is that it will not have Win Media Center and the first version won't have anything to play videos etc so you will be dependent on browsers or 3rd party software for that. I don't really ever use Media Center anyway. I do plan to use some light weight picture editing software and 3D graphics design programs with mine. The new version will allow us to play a video window, music etc in the background while doing something else, and is basically supposed to bring back the best parts of 7 while getting rid of the annoyances of 8. I plan to let my kids experiment with 10 first....

I use that, so i dont plan to upgrade.

I use Vista at home on two computers, and 8.1 on another. I run Windows 7 at work. I like Windows 7 and have a copy of it at home I haven't installed yet. I was saving it for my next build. I hate Windows 8.1 and plan on modifying it this weekend.