Does Calvinism Make God Unjust?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Forgive my stating otherwise. I misunderstood something somewhere and thought that you have created it. My bad.

If you don't mind, I'll keep my post intact because whether it was you or the man on the moon who created the video, my point stands that it's their god who predestined it to be created so why are they complaining to Knight about it?

God bless!
Clete

Yeah, that's fine my friend.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
After reading that exchange, it comes to mind that the Reformed view of God is a form of irreducably complexity: remove one element of His nature as it is conceived -- His absolute sovereign control, specifically -- and He isn't God. Not carrying water for the OV, just making a humble observation.
This is VERY true!

They believe that immutability, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, etc. are not merely attributes of God but that they are qualifications for being God. If any one of them are missing in a being then that being is not qualified to be God at all.

It's similar to the modern Jewish understand of the title 'Messiah'. They think that being the political King over both Israel and the world is a requisit qualification of the title and reject Jesus on that basis alone.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
your conversations about them are real to you. all I have to do is say one word and we all watch you ramble nonstop for 4 pages.

If you don't want to discuss anything with me, don't!

If you don't want me to respond to what you say, don't say it.

Lon

Open Theism does not attempt to escape that, it openly acknowledges it. The problem you have with open theism is in that you overstate its position. Open Theism does not teach that God "had no idea" about how Israel would turn out.
Incorrect of the whole. I appreciate, however, there are different Open Theists as there are Calvinists.

Of course!

Let me just tell you that you will not undermine Open Theism on logical grounds. One of its first principles is that all truth is rational, by definition.
Disagree. I OFTEN think you simply shallow and noncontemplative. Love you? Yes, certainly. I simply believe I am 'more' rational than you are, Clete. Sorry.

Even if you found an error on some specific point it would not damage the whole because Open Theism wasn't constructed backwards like Calvinism was.
Incorrect. Listen, the 'saving' feature of Open Theism is that it is primarily concerned with man, his salvation, and his freewill. The 'primary' concern with Calvinism is God's sovereignty as God. It has always been true that for Arminians, including open theists, the concern is the lostness of man and man's freewill. It has always been true that Calvinists never cared about that as much as protecting revealed scriptures and God's perspective fairly regardless of what damage it does to man's thinking and perspective, without apology (hence threads like this, by natural outcome of that commitment btw). There is no arguing that point. The thrust of Open Theism is a 'relational' God. There is no getting around that.

It did not begin with "the future is open" and construct its doctrines around that a priori assumption. Quite the contrary, the openness of the future is a conclusion, not a premise. The Open View is relentlessly rational. But that's a discussion for another time.
Well, it is Arminian thought carried to a logical conclusion BUT it is as much or more carried by philosophy than scripture as far as I'm concerned. It really is a human-interested perspective. Don't say no, because the second premise of Open Theism, after a 'relational' God is man's 'freewill' and autonomy. That's a VERY human interested theological perspective.

This is not an argument against Open Theism doctrine!
No open theist believes that God was surprised by evil. God thought through the whole process very carefully and prepared for whatever may happen. Open Theism simply teaches that evil was not a foregone conclusion and that Adam and Eve could have remained innocent but chose to rebel. Open Theism simply teaches that their choice was a real choice and that God had things covered either way.
Er, you need to pay attention. Most believe God was 'surprised by bad grapes.' I was NOT the one who came up with this scenario. It was an Open Theist. You may not be as 'open' of a theist as you imagine. Afterall, Boyd and Sanders do get to define their own named theology. That you don't believe as they do is a good thing. I love seeing redactions.

No, you're not, Lon. There is no open theist anywhere that teaches that the reason God didn't stop the theft is because He didn't know it was going to happen. The reason he doesn't stop bad things from happening is because in order to do so He'd have to end the world and He is willing to tolerate the bad for the overwhelming good that will come later. It is His mercy that stays His hand, not ignorance.
Are you kidding me? Denver Bible is on record with having one of the Columbine kids being killed because
'God didn't know it was going to happen." I'm beginning to doubt if you are open theology at all, just a confused Arminian.

If you see an error in my logic then don't just make the claim that I've made an error, make the argument! That's THE reason I'm here! What am I supposed to do, just take your word for it over the conviction of my own mind and conscience?
Show me logically, how God being in control of the universe must mean that God is actively in meticulous control of every event that occurs, no matter how insignificant, nor matter how cataclysmic, no matter how righteous, no matter how wicked. Make the argument, not just the claim.
:sigh: I do. Every time I talk with you.

I've never - ever - read one word from any Open Theist on this site or anywhere else that teaches such a thing.
Sad. Read Open Theism 1,2, and 3. Literally things like "God didn't know what was in Abraham's heart" and "God didn't know where Adam was when He asked 'Where art thou?'"

As I said, Calvinism does not teach that God allows anything. "If it is accomplished, it's because God willed it to be so." That is what Calvinism teaches.
"I" already said so. "Allow" is problematic for the Calvinist. I don't have as much problem with it, but I realize that plays into an Arminian definition. Again, the Calvinist is saying that God has purposes in the unfolding of His-story and that this is the only thing that counts thus 'allowing' anything outside of accomplishing what He purposes is a nono :nono: Why? Again, because it describes a haphazard God going through motions and not altogether involved with His creation. I, as a Calvinist, realize that there is a bit of me praying and moving the hand of God in the Divine plan from creation. You'd say I probably wasn't Calvinist because of that, but I'm saying God has perfect prescience, thus it was ordained. Did I then, really move the hand of God? Again, for me, that isn't as important. I'm trying to be less self-interested, so I'm more concerned how that brought glory to God and met a need. God is relational BUT I'm not certain that I understand the gravity of words like these and what they mean to God. I'm trying to be a humble servant (even here) and walk with my/our God.

I'm sorry, Lon but this is what Arminians teach not Calvinists. I understand how the two can be confused. It is the reason why I am certainly not an Arminian. Arminianism is just way to Calvinistic.

Not to be personally insulting because I understand the motive behind the sentiment but this is pathetic reason to trust in a god. How about trusting God because He's wiser and more loving and more powerful by far than any enemy that could oppose Him?
You are fairly egocentric, Clete. It is a Choleric trait. You say what you like without a lot of concern for others. There is a strength for that at times BUT we have a need to be a little less of our self-indulgent tendencies. I try to make peace where possible, but I'm a bit stubborn and non-caring at times as well. I'm not buying your 'pathetic' reason for what it is: Egocentric authoritarian assertion just because you say so. :nono: You should ask a bit more than you tell, but such over and unfounded confidence is part of your nature. You don't ask questions so you 'assert' often enough from simply being wrong, and probably blindly so. This is 'dogmatic' rather than logical.

No, Lon, He did NOT plan your cancer. It is blasphemy to say otherwise.
See? You are NOT logical with this statement. Ask, listen, but don't tell. You are incorrect. Now ask why. Or don't.... (hint, the doctor 'planned' my cancer). Words do mean something but your definitions are too rigid. You can't just take the first definition given in a dictionary and ignore all the others. This is what you are doing here. God absolutely planned, in reality, my wife's cancer. If He didn't, prayer would never have worked. I suppose you like it said He 'planned her recovery' instead, but what if she'd died? Did God not hear my prayer? Of course He did.

What you are saying is that the arsonist who set your house on fire is worthy of praise and adoration because he ran into your blazing house and rescued you from the flames.
No, this assumes 'you' have a house. You are NOT your own. You were bought with a price. Your every language suggest egocentrism. Even yet, I've little idea what taking up my cross daily means, and I'm still grasping at losing my life for His sake. So, I admit it for myself, and I'll admit it for you too, whether you see it in yourself or not. It's His house. It pretty much ends the arson complaint imho. It is simply a self-centered, self-interested revelation (I hope) for yourself to take a second look at what interests you and I: Your freewill or God'swill? :think: Which really is of the most import? I ask myself that question a lot. You?

God is clearly capable of curing any disease but He did not create cancer. Cancer exists as a result of sin (i.e. because we live in a fallen world and bad things happen.)
Agree. Whether I am cured or not is "God's plan." Get it?
Sanders does not teach nor does he believe that God makes mistakes.
Incorrect. Are you sure you are an Open Theist? "We affirm God is sometimes mistaken..." John Sanders
Of course you've made a few other outlandish and false statements about what other Open Theists have said here as well. That isn't logical as far as I understand logic. :think:
WLJ?

No, it does not mean that. Why would it?

I'm all ears (eyes)! Make the argument! How is meticulous control necessarily implied by saying that God is in control of anything?
Very simple: Because if the outcome is not exactly as you intended, then you weren't in control. Worse, you settled on something and in that sense you were certainly not in control. Reminds me of the guy who was in heaven standing in a line that said "Husbands/Fathers who were in control." Peter, interested in seeing only one man there, a scrawny little guy and the rest of men in the world standing in the other line asked him: "You? Out of all these men, you were in complete control of your life?" "No." The man said. "Then why?" Peter asked, "are you standing in this line?" "My wife made me."

It's a figure of speech. "Raised up Pharoah" means "raised up the nation of Egypt". It is a common Jewish idiom to use the head of a thing to refer to the whole thing.
A whole nation prepared for that purpose? It makes you a bit more of a Calvinist than you'd imagine at that point. Moving the goal doesn't help.

Words mean things, Lon and ideas have consequences. This is the reason why Bob Enyart was right in his debate with Dr. Lamerson. You are forced - forced - to prioritize the attributes of God. You will either form your doctrine based on the presumption that God acts righteously or that righteousness is defined by whatever God happens to do. And those two things are not the same! They are opposite. The later turns "righteous" into "arbitrary" when applied to God, it turns justice into it's opposite. So when you come to passages that, on the surface, would seem to be ascribing an unjust act to God then you have to stop and realize that you've misunderstood and that perhaps the plain surface meaning isn't what is really being said.
"Rationalizing" is often another word for that. "Humanizing" is another. How 'egocentric' are we at that point? Once I start rationalizing, I'm making God in my own image rather than me being conformed. It really was when I began worrying more about Him, and trying to take up my cross daily, that Calvinism started making the better sense.
The trick is that you cannot just do that willy-nilly. You cannot maintain a rational theology by whimsically altering the meaning of the plain reading because it happens to conflict with a favored doctrine. Your decisions in such cases have to be reasoned and well thought out. And it so happens that when you think such issues through, you are forced to pick. Will you favor God's sovereignty (meticulous control) over God's righteousness or vice-versa? Will you place God's quantitative attributes (how big and powerful He is and how much He knows and how much He controls) over His qualitative attributes (His righteousness, kindness, wisdom, love, etc.)

Once again, lots more to say but out of time for now.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Correct. The problem with 'preferring' an attribute has to do with 'our' desired relationship to Him. More important, therefore, than your and my conversation for TOL posterity is the reading and grasping of God's revelation and faithfulness to reading it and meditating over it.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Incorrect of the whole. I appreciate, however, there are different Open Theists as there are Calvinists.

Disagree. I OFTEN think you simply shallow and noncontemplative. Love you? Yes, certainly. I simply believe I am 'more' rational than you are, Clete. Sorry.

Incorrect. Listen, the 'saving' feature of Open Theism is that it is primarily concerned with man, his salvation, and his freewill. The 'primary' concern with Calvinism is God's sovereignty as God. It has always been true that for Arminians, including open theists, the concern is the lostness of man and man's freewill. It has always been true that Calvinists never cared about that as much as protecting revealed scriptures and God's perspective fairly regardless of what damage it does to man's thinking and perspective, without apology (hence threads like this, by natural outcome of that commitment btw). There is no arguing that point. The thrust of Open Theism is a 'relational' God. There is no getting around that.

Well, it is Arminian thought carried to a logical conclusion BUT it is as much or more carried by philosophy than scripture as far as I'm concerned. It really is a human-interested perspective. Don't say no, because the second premise of Open Theism, after a 'relational' God is man's 'freewill' and autonomy. That's a VERY human interested theological perspective.

Er, you need to pay attention. Most believe God was 'surprised by bad grapes.' I was NOT the one who came up with this scenario. It was an Open Theist. You may not be as 'open' of a theist as you imagine. Afterall, Boyd and Sanders do get to define their own named theology. That you don't believe as they do is a good thing. I love seeing redactions.

Are you kidding me? Denver Bible is on record with having one of the Columbine kids being killed because
'God didn't know it was going to happen." I'm beginning to doubt if you are open theology at all, just a confused Arminian.

:sigh: I do. Every time I talk with you.

Sad. Read Open Theism 1,2, and 3. Literally things like "God didn't know what was in Abraham's heart" and "God didn't know where Adam was when He asked 'Where art thou?'"

"I" already said so. "Allow" is problematic for the Calvinist. I don't have as much problem with it, but I realize that plays into an Arminian definition. Again, the Calvinist is saying that God has purposes in the unfolding of His-story and that this is the only thing that counts thus 'allowing' anything outside of accomplishing what He purposes is a nono :nono: Why? Again, because it describes a haphazard God going through motions and not altogether involved with His creation. I, as a Calvinist, realize that there is a bit of me praying and moving the hand of God in the Divine plan from creation. You'd say I probably wasn't Calvinist because of that, but I'm saying God has perfect prescience, thus it was ordained. Did I then, really move the hand of God? Again, for me, that isn't as important. I'm trying to be less self-interested, so I'm more concerned how that brought glory to God and met a need. God is relational BUT I'm not certain that I understand the gravity of words like these and what they mean to God. I'm trying to be a humble servant (even here) and walk with my/our God.

You are fairly egocentric, Clete. It is a Choleric trait. You say what you like without a lot of concern for others. There is a strength for that at times BUT we have a need to be a little less of our self-indulgent tendencies. I try to make peace where possible, but I'm a bit stubborn and non-caring at times as well. I'm not buying your 'pathetic' reason for what it is: Egocentric authoritarian assertion just because you say so. :nono: You should ask a bit more than you tell, but such over and unfounded confidence is part of your nature. You don't ask questions so you 'assert' often enough from simply being wrong, and probably blindly so. This is 'dogmatic' rather than logical.

See? You are NOT logical with this statement. Ask, listen, but don't tell. You are incorrect. Now ask why. Or don't.... (hint, the doctor 'planned' my cancer). Words do mean something but your definitions are too rigid. You can't just take the first definition given in a dictionary and ignore all the others. This is what you are doing here. God absolutely planned, in reality, my wife's cancer. If He didn't, prayer would never have worked. I suppose you like it said He 'planned her recovery' instead, but what if she'd died? Did God not hear my prayer? Of course He did.

No, this assumes 'you' have a house. You are NOT your own. You were bought with a price. Your every language suggest egocentrism. Even yet, I've little idea what taking up my cross daily means, and I'm still grasping at losing my life for His sake. So, I admit it for myself, and I'll admit it for you too, whether you see it in yourself or not. It's His house. It pretty much ends the arson complaint imho. It is simply a self-centered, self-interested revelation (I hope) for yourself to take a second look at what interests you and I: Your freewill or God'swill? :think: Which really is of the most import? I ask myself that question a lot. You?

Agree. Whether I am cured or not is "God's plan." Get it?

Incorrect. Are you sure you are an Open Theist? "We affirm God is sometimes mistaken..." John Sanders
Of course you've made a few other outlandish and false statements about what other Open Theists have said here as well. That isn't logical as far as I understand logic. :think:

Very simple: Because if the outcome is not exactly as you intended, then you weren't in control. Worse, you settled on something and in that sense you were certainly not in control. Reminds me of the guy who was in heaven standing in a line that said "Husbands/Fathers who were in control." Peter, interested in seeing only one man there, a scrawny little guy and the rest of men in the world standing in the other line asked him: "You? Out of all these men, you were in complete control of your life?" "No." The man said. "Then why?" Peter asked, "are you standing in this line?" "My wife made me."

A whole nation prepared for that purpose? It makes you a bit more of a Calvinist than you'd imagine at that point. Moving the goal doesn't help.

"Rationalizing" is often another word for that. "Humanizing" is another. How 'egocentric' are we at that point? Once I start rationalizing, I'm making God in my own image rather than me being conformed. It really was when I began worrying more about Him, and trying to take up my cross daily, that Calvinism started making the better sense.
Correct. The problem with 'preferring' an attribute has to do with 'our' desired relationship to Him. More important, therefore, than your and my conversation for TOL posterity is the reading and grasping of God's revelation and faithfulness to reading it and meditating over it.

Well Lon, if nothing else you've proven to be as impossible to communicate with as any other Calvinist. Double talk upon double talk and the redefinition of common words. Pathetically, typical Calvinist drivel.

I have no time to respond to this whole post this evening and I'm not at all sure I'm interested in responding to it at all but I'm sure I will anyway. But not today.

Rosenritter

Was it evil for Tambora to post it?

Was it evil GM to create it?

Did GM accomplish it's creation in opposition to your god's will?

Is it your god's will that it be taken down?

Who exactly are you complaining to about this, your god or Knight?

What if it's your god's will that Knight should ignore your complaint?

Who are you going to complain to then?

How is it possible that Calvinists do not see the blatant contradiction that exists between their doctrine and practically every word they say? They claim to believe that the future is completely settled and that their god has predestined every event that happens and yet they live their lives and speak to others as though they were Open Theists. They act and talk as though the things they do and say make a difference and can actually change things. AMR's signature makes the claim that "we are all Calvinists on our knees", the truth is that all Calvinists are Open Theists every minute of every day that they aren't thinking about their doctrine and sometimes even then! They're just a walking, talking mass of contradictions.

Resting in Him,
Clete

If a Calvinist holds a doctrine that God is sovereign, and that sovereignty means that all events were foreseen and preordained to pass, then how can that Calvinist complain about a video being posted that mocks Calvinism? It would be disobeying God to do any thing different that what he foresaw and ordained, it would be impossible to do anything different.

Rosenritter

Forgive my stating otherwise. I misunderstood something somewhere and thought that you have created it. My bad.

If you don't mind, I'll keep my post intact because whether it was you or the man on the moon who created the video, my point stands that it's their god who predestined it to be created so why are they complaining to Knight about it?

God bless!
Clete

Aside from the irony of a Calvinist complaining about any event (weren't they all preordained?) there is something to be said for non-Calvinistic Christian sensibility if something that they do offends someone else. The non-Calvinist believes that they do have a choice in what they do, and that they would be willing to give up eating flesh and only eat plants if the alternative might cause their brother or sister to stumble.It would be a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate the real gospel of love.

popsthebuilder

We need only read through the written word of God in order to see His character and intent. His character and intent do not match up with the false doctrines of Calvinism. The Calvinists say, "Man has no free will" yet, we come across evidence throughout the Bible that PROVES man has free will. One example I like to use is, Matthhew 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!"That verse alone PROVES that man has a freewill to choose to follow God or not to follow Him.
It proves that man has a will other than that will of GOD.

But that is no where near disproving the exponential amount of scriptural support for Calvinism.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

popsthebuilder

If a "Man-made" doctrine doesn't match the Scriptures, we MUST delete the Man-made doctrine and consider it wrong. That's what needs to be done with the false doctrines, gospel, and out of character god of Calvinism.
The same could be said for your doctrine could it not.

According to you Paul is the only one out of the whole bible that promoted it, but really Paul was saying the same thing that all the rest of the bible says.

So... Yeah, what did you say to do about man-made doctrine?

popsthebuilder

Obviously, God created His "beings" with free will. Not only we human beings but , the angels, as well. Lucifer (Satan) and a third of the angels "chose" to rebel against God and were cast out of Heaven, Adam and Eve "chose" to rebel and were cast out of the Garden of Eden. Do you see a connection here? Free will IS the connection between the two events.
Adam and Eve were human, and the fallen angels fell due to pride.

The angels with GOD have no free will.

popsthebuilder

Both AMR and Nang openly blaspheme God and are proud to do it. They are both evil.

No, it cannot.

Please elaborate. As asked, the answer is a strong 'no' but perhaps you are meaning something that is not apparent to my reading of your question.
I've gone over it a couple of times yet none will engage with me about it.

Basically why would GOD send GOD to earth for a sacrifice to appease GOD? And how does continuing in sin have anything to do with it?

Why would the Christ have sacrificed himself just so people could go about in knowing sin?

And how is that not evil, or making the work of the Christ in vein?

To me, any Christian would gravitate towards the teachings and example of the Christ and emulate those things, however, somehow, most get hung up on the deity of the Christ and then manage to be fooled into thinking that their own direction or sin is irrelevant.

Did not the Christ say that those would call on Him saying they believed on His name, but he won't even see them to judge them?

Peace

I hope that is a more thorough explanation to my initial question.

Please explain how it isn't evil to go about in knowing sin all while openly claiming ones own salvation.

Thank you.

popsthebuilder

Do you consider the reality of the Lake of Fire to be a scare tactic? I would have to say a resounding YES!
The reality is that the word hell was mistranslated and has been misused for a long time.

Research it's origins and then ask yourself the same question you asked me.

Lake of fire... Second death/ cease to exist, not be tortured for eternity for finite sin.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Adam and Eve were human, and the fallen angels fell due to pride.

The angels with GOD have no free will.

Try and be logical Pops? Emphasis on TRY. If the angels had NO free will of their own, then, why were they able to choose to rebel? On the same token, if Adam and Eve had NO free will how were they able to choose to rebel? Savvy Pops?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
If a Calvinist holds a doctrine that God is sovereign, and that sovereignty means that all events were foreseen and preordained to pass, then how can that Calvinist complain about a video being posted that mocks Calvinism? It would be disobeying God to do any thing different that what he foresaw and ordained, it would be impossible to do anything different.
we're not complaining. people say things.

Cojzp_Zg_VUAAb_Wqx.jpg

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I've gone over it a couple of times yet none will engage with me about it.
The wording of your question is awkward. It feels like English is a second language for you. I don't say that to be insulting at all, I'm just saying that I'm still not entirely sure I understand what you are asking so forgive me if I answer a question that you haven't asked.

Basically why would GOD send GOD to earth for a sacrifice to appease GOD?
Because the alternative is to end the whole mess, send everyone to Hell and be done with it.

The wages of sin is death. If you rebel against the God of Life the result is the only logical alternative - death. God loves His creation and does not want them all to die and so a sacrifice is needed. The problem is that, in all of God's creation, there where none found that were worthy to pay the needed price - none found but One. He made the decision that it was worth the cost of Him suffering death in order to save those who put their trust is Him.

I mean, it really is just that simple. God died so that you wouldn't have to. He loves us that much.

And how does continuing in sin have anything to do with it?
This question seems disconnected from the previous one.

What do you mean how does continuing in sin have anything to do with it?

It doesn't have anything to do with it, except the fact that your sin is what God paid for at the cross.

Why would the Christ have sacrificed himself just so people could go about in knowing sin?
Your view is too near sited. God didn't sacrifice His Son so that people could live this sinful life. It's the life that comes after that ought to be in view here.

And how is that not evil, or making the work of the Christ in vein?
Are you suggesting here that you are able to out sin the value of God's own blood sacrifice?

Again, your focus is to near-sited. What we do in this life matters and will impact eternity to be sure but the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to that which is to come.

To me, any Christian would gravitate towards the teachings and example of the Christ and emulate those things, however, somehow, most get hung up on the deity of the Christ and then manage to be fooled into thinking that their own direction or sin is irrelevant.
No one I know thinks that it's irrelevant! But don't fool yourself into thinking that you can live in this flesh and not sin. The bible is very clear. Our flesh has not yet been redeemed and until it is, we are saddled with its effects.

Did not the Christ say that those would call on Him saying they believed on His name, but he won't even see them to judge them?
No, He didn't say that. He said something similar but not to or about you. Context is everything and it is vital to bear in mind who is being spoken to and/or about when reading passages of scripture. You will not be participating the in 'the sheep and the goats' judgment where the statement I'm sure you're referring to is said. That's for an altogether separate group of people.

Please explain how it isn't evil to go about in knowing sin all while openly claiming ones own salvation.
All sin is evil but if you are in Christ, your sin has been imputed to God the Son, Jesus Christ and it would, therefore, be unjust for God to impute that sin to you as well.

You need to read the book of Romans. In fact, if the book of Romans was the one book of the bible you ever read from this day forward, it would improve your doctrine and your understanding. I'm not actually advising you to never read anything other than Romans here, I'm just saying that IF you were to do so, a lot of your confusion on this point (and several others) would be remedied. The following two passages, in particular, speak directly to your question...

Romans 7:13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
In order to make chooses we have to have the free will to do so. Otherwise, we must be motivated to make chooses from an outside source. The Calvinist would say that "outside source" would be God." So, if God is making our chooses for us, then, we no longer have a free will of our own. You can't have it both ways.