ECT Does the book of James contradict Paul's epistles? How?

Right Divider

Body part
Not unless God contradicts himself, since both are the inspired and infallible word of God.
Some of Gods Word is explicitly contradictory. If we allow Him to guide us, these are not a problem. But if they (some here on TOL) think that everything in the Bible are exactly the same, then they will be confused (as is evident in their posts). Here is one example on an explicit contradiction:
Luk 22:35-36 KJV And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. (36) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
There are many BUT NOW's in the Bible, especially in Paul's writings.

oatmeal

James 1:1

How so?

Was Paul not of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews?

Did he not concern himself with the nation of Israel? Romans 10:1-11:12

Romans 11:1 Paul, although a Christian, identifies himself as an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

You surely have read that passage

oatmeal

Not unless God contradicts himself, since both are the inspired and infallible word of God.

You have that right.

Context and other information is vital to understand what may seem to contradict

As you say, God authored all scripture, II Timothy 3:16

oatmeal

Some of Gods Word is explicitly contradictory. If we allow Him to guide us, these are not a problem. But if they (some here on TOL) think that everything in the Bible are exactly the same, then they will be confused (as is evident in their posts). Here is one example on an explicit contradiction:
Luk 22:35-36 KJV And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. (36) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
There are many BUT NOW's in the Bible, especially in Paul's writings.

Not a contradiction.

Is it contradictory if you wear lightweight, breathable clothes in summer and warm, heavyweight clothes in winter?

Does your decisions about what to wear, what to do depend a bit on the circumstances you are in?

Truth is truth, but some truths apply more than others, are more appropriate than others depending on the challenge.

That is not a contradiction, it is called living the truth

Right Divider

Body part

Right Divider

Body part
Not a contradiction.

Is it contradictory if you wear lightweight, breathable clothes in summer and warm, heavyweight clothes in winter?

Does your decisions about what to wear, what to do depend a bit on the circumstances you are in?

Truth is truth, but some truths apply more than others, are more appropriate than others depending on the challenge.

That is not a contradiction, it is called living the truth
That is EXACTLY the point of the DISPENSATIONAL understanding of Scripture and thank you for confirming that this is a VALID way to understand it!

oatmeal

That is EXACTLY the point of the DISPENSATIONAL understanding of Scripture and thank you for confirming that this is a VALID way to understand it!

Well, it would seem you and I, and others, do have that understanding.

It is clear from scriptures that God, for His purposes and timing and wisdom, made some rule changes over time.

In order to redeem mankind, he had to progress towards that goal, in steps that were workable in the context of believers being able to respond in kind.

God's wisdom is that he leads in a pace that is doable for his people

Cruciform

How exactly do you imagine that this text in any way involves, as you claim, "an explicit contradiction"?

Right Divider

Body part
How exactly do you imagine that this text in any way involves, as you claim, "an explicit contradiction"?
First Christ sends them "without purse or script" and then later Christ changes the order for them to go "with purse and script". There is obviously an explanation for the contradiction. The commands themselves are exactly the opposite of each other.

The "one size fits all" bunch here on TOL blindly smash all of the scripture together as if there are no such changes made by the Lord.

Cruciform

First Christ sends them "without purse or script" and then later Christ changes the order for them to go "with purse and script". There is obviously an explanation for the contradiction. The commands themselves are exactly the opposite of each other.
A genuine contradiction involves the mutual exclusivity of two or more rational propositions (i.e., teachings, truth-claims, or doctrines). Jesus' instruction to the seventy disciples regarding whether or not to carry purse or script has nothing whatsoever to do with doctrine or teaching, but is simply a practical consideration on Jesus' part. Therefore, this does not in fact involve a "contradiction" in any real sense of the term.

Thus, I simply disagree with your earlier claim that "the Bible is filled with contradictions."

The "one size fits all" bunch here on TOL blindly smash all of the scripture together as if there are no such changes made by the Lord.
Changes do not equate to "contradictions." Sorry for your confusion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The instruction from the Lord to His disciples to take care of themselves was/is for the time when the Lord was taken from them, but such was/ is not the case when sent in their ministry, then or now.

LA

Right Divider

Body part
A genuine contradiction involves the mutual exclusivity of two or more rational propositions (i.e., teachings, truth-claims, or doctrines). Jesus' instruction to the seventy disciples regarding whether or not to carry purse or script has nothing whatsoever to do with doctrine or teaching, but is simply a practical consideration on Jesus' part. Therefore, this does not in fact involve a "contradiction" in any real sense of the term.

Thus, I simply disagree with your earlier claim that "the Bible is filled with contradictions."

I never said that and that makes you a liar. Is that in line with RCC doctrine?

Cruciform

I never said that and that makes you a liar. Is that in line with RCC doctrine?
Your statement in Post #163 is that "Some of Gods Word is explicitly contradictory." It's this comment to which I replied, and which I reject, for the reasons already outlined.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Your statement in Post #163 is that "Some of Gods Word is explicitly contradictory." It's this comment to which I replied, and which I reject, for the reasons already outlined.

You are outright lying, he isnt saying they are contradictory, but that certain things when not divided rightly appear to be.

Cruciform

You are outright lying, he isnt saying they are contradictory, but that certain things when not divided rightly appear to be.
That isn't at all what he said. His exact words were that some things in Scripture are "explicitly contradictory" not that they are "apparently contradictory."

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That isn't at all what he said. His exact words were that some things in Scripture are "explicitly contradictory" not that they are "apparently contradictory."

Context defines what he is saying, too bad you dont know what context means.