Redskins

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All of this merriment does a heart good if one isn't easily offended, and I'm not. I love this exchange of quippery, and it's pleasantly unexpected from someone so seemingly stoic.
Glad to hear it. It's a staple among my real life compatriots and professional colleagues, though here it's a hit and miss. Once people get a sense that you're capable of appreciating it you'll be surprised at the repartee to be had here.

I just wish, in the end, that you had two hours to spare and a teachable spirit about one thing. The innate influence of high-context language (English, in this case) on the heart and mind. It would be the biggest change in your life apart from regeneration of salvation itself.
Now here's the thing. That was almost a terrific way to invite a consideration. Far better than how you introduced your context earlier. Ideally you'd have asked, "Have you ever read anything about..." and gotten into the foundation of your philosophy, be it socio-anthorpological, linguistic or the ever expanding whatnot.

A small bit of additional back story. I was an atheist well into my second year of law with a wide ranging interest in religion and myth as an exploration of how man dealt with questions of meaning and being that took up a great deal of my reading for years. My contextual presuppositions are few, though I have come to some fairly strong ideas on any number of things. I'm aware of metamethodological conceits and I try to guard myself against the less rationally seated.

You should seriously consider starting a thread on the subject and setting out, with an eye to streamlining verbiage (the larger part of this community not being comprised of under or grad students) the particulars, from the foundation up. If you do I'd be happy to read through and consider it. I've learned a great deal wandering around in here and bumping into interesting characters who've been exposed to and/or put a great deal of thought and time into subjects/notions that others, myself included, haven't. It's part of the draw.

What doesn't draw is making assumptions/assertions about others that a) frame them in a defensive negative and b) frame yourself in a superior positive. It invites dogmatic rejections at worst and cynical inference at best... Or, as I've been prone to say lately, I never met a king who had to tell me what he was and when anyone does I tend to want to take a pocket knife to the crown to see what it's really made of... And I've never met a man with a better mousetrap who had to do more than show me how it works to convince me.

Else, well met and you should consider the thread (and a bit less assumption about the people you meet without knowing). You might find that many a soul can hold a contrary notion without straying from a rational straight line. Or, I suspect we're going to get along just fine, even if we ultimately worry about the blindness of the other to a point we're running about with. :)

Edit: fair warning, I'm more of a Monty than Edward Hall sort of fellow. :poly:

Last edited:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
townie said:
17569576.jpg

One Eyed Jack

So, any talk on them changing the name? I was watching the Panthers play the Lions the other day, and when a list of teams came up on the screen, they were still the Redskins.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So, any talk on them changing the name? I was watching the Panthers play the Lions the other day, and when a list of teams came up on the screen, they were still the Redskins.

The poll, conducted between July 20 and July 21 via mobile and landline phones, by Vox Populi – which literally translates, from Latin, to ‘the people’s voice’ – found 65 percent of people polled, who identified themselves as NFL fans, rejected changing the team’s name.

“It appears that Washington Redskins fans are standing behind owner Dan Snyder’s commitment to keep their team name,” said Vox Populi Polling spokeswoman Lisa Boothe.
read more here: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014...ect-name-change-wont-buy-merch-with-new-name/

But now this since the owner decided to keep the name:

NFL's tax-exempt status challenged over "Redskins" name

WASHINGTON - A U.S. senator says she will introduce a bill to eliminate the NFL's tax-exempt status because the league has not taken action over the Washington Redskins name.

The announcement by Democrat Maria Cantwell of Washington state was one of several initiatives presented Tuesday during a Capitol Hill news conference aimed at increasing pressure on Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

The "Change the Mascot" campaign also said it was sending a letter to the other 31 NFL team owners asking them to use their "position of authority" to end the league's "promotion of a dictionary-defined racial slur."
read more here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfls-tax-exempt-status-challenged-over-redskins-name/

Gotta love government getting into private business....

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
read more here: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014...ect-name-change-wont-buy-merch-with-new-name/

But now this since the owner decided to keep the name:

read more here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfls-tax-exempt-status-challenged-over-redskins-name/

first of all, why does the nfl have tax exempt status?

secondly, how can they claim the name is being used as a "dictionary-defined racial slur" if the same name is used for sports teams on the rez?

is cantwell planning to put pressure on them?

Granite

Hall of Fame

I think this controversy's been overshadowed by a string of NFL cretins in the news...

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Isn't that what happened when the government decided to give the NFL a handout by exempting them from taxes?

The real welfare benefit, BTW, goes to the teams themselves, not the NFL. It's complicated, but the tax benefits are rather huge, and end up costing the rest of us more money to bail out the Dallas Cowboys.

zoo22

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Who really cares? Real attendance at NFL games is declining as the game becomes more and more tied to television. The league is becoming a media deal, not a sport.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You just post things without bothering about whether they're true or not?

If you want to be willfully ignorant, that's up to you. But you shouldn't spread it around.
Enforce that and the board will nearly go dark, so to speak. :)

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
You just post things without bothering about whether they're true or not?

If you want to be willfully ignorant, that's up to you. But you shouldn't spread it around.

Sometimes... such things are posted for the ironic humor rather than being factually accurate.

In the midst of all the STUPID hooplah over alleged political correctness, many other more important things are glossed over that really DO need scrutiny and attention.

You have NO idea whatsoever what's actually happening on the landscape of the world stage. Like most, you're mired to your conceptual opinions of the menial and trivial.

The false two-party system is corrupt on both sides from within. That's the message.

The endless tolerance-based issues are just a distraction to keep the dumbed-down sheoples' minds on inane topics so they'll never come out of the downward spiral of low-context language and culture to ever know the spiritual truth.

And Snopes is still a joke, with truthful and fictious facts mixed ad infinitum. You're lost in the rabbit hole, Alice.