ECT Cheap or Costly Grace?

nikolai_42

I don't think you understand what is expected by God of those who claim the Name of Jesus. The goal being, Christians don't sin.

Even if sinless perfection were possible in this life, what would that look like in light of humility?

Also, I don't agree that the goal is sinlessness. That may be a part of it all, but holiness encompasses sinlessness but goes well beyond it.

nikolai_42

I am not of the sinless perfection crowd.

So why not say holiness is the goal? cf John 17:3

The goal is being made into the image and likeness of Christ.

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

I John 3:2-3

Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

2 Cor 3:17-18

EDIT : But note that it is not our goal in the sense that we are the ones actively doing it.

Cross Reference

T
he goal is being made into the image and likeness of Christ.

Define "image - likeness"?

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

I John 3:2-3

Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

2 Cor 3:17-18

EDIT : But note that it is not our goal in the sense that we are the ones actively doing it.

Well who is if not you? Did God die on a cross? No, a man did, born in the "likeness" and "image" of His Father.

nikolai_42

Define "image - likeness"?

In the same way Jesus meant "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father", so are we to be made like Him (see the verses in 1 John I quoted)

Well who is if not you? Did God die on a cross? No. A man did, born in the likeness and image of His Father.

Dividing Christ's Deity and His humanity in that way is not what scripture does. The flesh itself profits nothing. He took on flesh - it was still Him of whom this was spoken :

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.

John 1:29-30

So He was either an eternal man or manifestation of God. And as for the working :

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Philippians 2:12-13

For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
I Thessalonians 2:13

Cross Reference

In the same way Jesus meant "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father", so are we to be made like Him (see the verses in 1 John I quoted)

Image/likeness = complete attributes, i.e., Spiritual, disposition, affinities, righteousness, holiness, mercy, grace, Truth, affections, etc. Shall I go on?

nikolai_42

So how come your thinking doesn't move in that direction that when I say a Christian doesn't sin, you might have an inkling as to what I am inferring.

Because when one says "a Christian doesn't sin", the implications are not the same as when one says "a Christian is one who is being made into the likeness of God". Ultimately, sin is an issue that is dealt with, but the idea that a man is sinless is far more an external assertion (usually) than being conformed to the image of Christ. One can take sinlessness and start to point out those that don't meet that criteria (in their understanding, that is) but when you start to talk about a larger goal, the concept of testing the fruit becomes more complex and nothing like what many want to do. While we shouldn't tolerate sin, our protestations do nothing to limit it because it is a matter of the heart at its core. And a man such as King David showed the great ugliness of it in someone with whom God had close fellowship. Man judges after the outward appearance but God after the inward man of the heart.

Cross Reference

Because when one says "a Christian doesn't sin", the implications are not the same as when one says "a Christian is one who is being made into the likeness of God". Ultimately, sin is an issue that is dealt with, but the idea that a man is sinless is far more an external assertion (usually) than being conformed to the image of Christ. One can take sinlessness and start to point out those that don't meet that criteria (in their understanding, that is) but when you start to talk about a larger goal, the concept of testing the fruit becomes more complex and nothing like what many want to do. While we shouldn't tolerate sin, our protestations do nothing to limit it because it is a matter of the heart at its core. And a man such as King David showed the great ugliness of it in someone with whom God had close fellowship. Man judges after the outward appearance but God after the inward man of the heart.

You are wording me to death. A Christian is one who strives to be perfect in the Father. With a Spiritual arrangement with himself he will not 'knowingly' sin and by the same arrangement will his conscience remain clear of presumption to worship God as a co-extention of his life. That is a Christian.

nikolai_42

You are wording me to death. A Christian is one who strives to be perfect in the Father. With a Spiritual arrangement with himself he will not 'knowingly' sin and by the same arrangement will his conscience remain clear of presumption to worship God as a co-extention of his life. That is a Christian.

Okay...that's part of it - though the striving for perfection needs some fleshing out. How does affect holiness?

Is it just that a Christian tries not to sin? Is it all divided up like that? Try not to sin...check. Be holy...check. Worship acceptably....check. etc....

The Law was good. It had correct statements but we don't lean on it anymore because it never made the hearer any better. Likewise, if we are in Christ, our lives should never be sectioned off like that so that we are pursuing sinlessness as a somewhat separate thing from holiness etc... Otherwise, how is that different from moralism?

I have to sign off now, so I'll leave it at that.

Truster

The regenerate do willingly and with full knowledge of what they are doing sin, but they cannot live in that sin. Psalm 119:176 The regenerate have an amazing ability to justify what they do on occasion and until they are granted repentance they are sometimes left in their filth until they hate it and hate themselves.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Okay...that's part of it - though the striving for perfection needs some fleshing out. How does affect holiness?

Is it just that a Christian tries not to sin? Is it all divided up like that? Try not to sin...check. Be holy...check. Worship acceptably....check. etc....

Here is the striving that is life, as purposed from the beginning, even from Adam, for the Christian:

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3 (KJV)

The Law was good. It had correct statements but we don't lean on it anymore because it never made the hearer any better. Likewise, if we are in Christ, our lives should never be sectioned off like that so that we are pursuing sinlessness as a somewhat separate thing from holiness etc... Otherwise, how is that different from moralism?

I have to sign off now, so I'll leave it at that.

You are like a broken record to keep insisting that sinlessness is the quest I am fostering when it is the pursuit of knowing God and that in the process of doing so will make sinlessness, along with other changes in one, to be an incidental.

Cross Reference

Yes! The bottom line! We do it because we are motivated and led by the Holy Spirit to do it. I believe repentance, faith, grasping the Truth of Scripture, and all our prayers, petitions, and confessions are the fruit of His presence within our beings.

I have lost friends for standing for Monergistic Sanctification, but this is exactly what I believe your concluding paragraph describes.

Which is false __ incomplete at best:

"By way of comparison, the Calvinistic view of evangelism is that it is made easier because salvation isn't depended on man's actions."

Scriptures state that Redemption was not dependent upon an action of man. However, for man to establish himself upon/in that "New Rock foundation", he must first "see it" to desire it before he can "enter into it". That is man's part __NOT God's. The realization of “God’s forgiveness” in the matter of Redemption should lead to a serious following of Christ __ again, something man must do and in a serious way for it to accomplish its purpose..

Last edited:

revpete

Do you believe one can be less than a disciple of Jesus Christ and still be in grace?

I think The Bible teaches that the goodness of God is good extended to all: Matt 5:45. However, the grace of God is for Christians only, by grace we have been saved Eph 2:8 and we continue and are kept by His grace, 1Cor 15:10.

Pete 👤

Cross Reference

I think The Bible teaches that the goodness of God is good extended to all: Matt 5:45. However, the grace of God is for Christians only, by grace we have been saved Eph 2:8 and we continue and are kept by His grace, 1Cor 15:10.

Pete ��

You mean IF we continue we are kept by His Grace, right?

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Which one do you live by?

Any takers?? Surely all you Greek and Hebrew "scholars" +nothing, will at least "profess" your leanings toward which thinking suits your findings __ and why?

Is the purchasing power of Messiah's blood cheap (insufficient to pay the debt)?

Or is the blood of Messiah costly (sufficient in the eyes of God our Father to satisfy the wrath of God against sin in our place)?

Cross Reference

Is the purchasing power of Messiah's blood cheap (insufficient to pay the debt)?

Or is the blood of Messiah costly (sufficient in the eyes of God our Father to satisfy the wrath of God against sin in our place)?

Are they the questions the OP is asking? I don't think so.