General Sports Thread

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What is your favorite sports time of the year? Right now is a pretty good time of year if you like hockey and basketball. There are games every night of the week! It's great. I don't think there is any other time of year like this.

Football season is pretty nice because the entire weekend is covered. Saturday is college and Sunday is pro. Basketball has the same thing but not to the same effect, in my opinion.

March madness is great, of course.

Baseball playoffs with the start of football season is good.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Remember watching Brett chase .400
Ended up with .390 didn't he?

I had to punch that in google, because I remember it being up there. He was hitting .406 on August 30th. And one big difference between him and Wade Boggs, is Brett hit for power.

SaulToPaul 2

I had to punch that in google, because I remember it being up there. He was hitting .406 on August 30th. And one big difference between him and Wade Boggs, is Brett hit for power.

Chicks dig the long ball.

I was always fascinated by those who were hard to strikeout, like my favorite, Tony Gwynn.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was always fascinated by those who were hard to strikeout, like my favorite, Tony Gwynn.

You might not know this but, it is much easier to just make contact than to hit it over the fence. Not that I can do either. But it is more fun to swing for the fence. Even when you throw it in the dirt. Then you can show boat and hit your helmet with the bat on your way back to the dug out.

SaulToPaul 2

You might not know this but, it is much easier to just make contact than to hit it over the fence. Not that I can do either. But it is more fun to swing for the fence. Even when you throw it in the dirt. Then you can show boat and hit your helmet with the bat on your way back to the dug out.

Or pull a Bo Jackson and break the bat over your knee.

Yes, in most cases, a homerun is like a perfect storm. Round ball, round bat, but you have to hit it square, and with the right projection.

I hated striking out. That's why I admire the contact hitters so much.

SaulToPaul 2

Does anyone else remember their stats from their playing days?

I remember all of mine.

My banner year: 1984 - batted .620 and hit 15HR in my last year of little league :Shimei:

It was all downhill from there, hitting wise.

The Berean

Remember watching Brett chase .400
Ended up with .390 didn't he?

Since Ted Williams last hit .400 in 1941 Brett hit .400 the latest into the season. Brett was hitting .400 on September 19, 1980 with just 13 games to go. Brett hit .304 in those final 13 games. Since 1941 only one other player has reached August hitting over .400.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Define 'contact'. Because if you mean any contact then of course that's easier than to hit it over the fence. But if you're comparing hitting .350 with 20 hrs or .250 with 40 hrs then I think there would be a different answer.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I remember all of mine.

My banner year: 1984 - batted .620 and hit 15HR in my last year of little league :Shimei:

:noway: You're the man, :STP:!

I don't remember my stats. Probably because I was never a good hitter. :chuckle: I was more of a speedy guy who was a threat to steal if I got on base (often by walks) and a pretty good fielder.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I remember all of mine.

My banner year: 1974

As a 10 year old, made the 9 &10 year old Carnegie Little League All-Star Team. Went 5 for 5 in the championship game of the Moon Township 9 & 10 year old tournament.

SaulToPaul 2

I don't remember my stats. Probably because I was never a good hitter. :chuckle: I was more of a speedy guy who was a threat to steal if I got on base (often by walks) and a pretty good fielder.

Every team needs a speedy golden glover!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define 'contact'. Because if you mean any contact then of course that's easier than to hit it over the fence. But if you're comparing hitting .350 with 20 hrs or .250 with 40 hrs then I think there would be a different answer.

Boggs hit 118 home runs in 18 seasons, Brett hit 317 home runs in 20 seasons. That kind of power.

Don't look at me. In summer leagues growing up, I swung at pitches in the dirt trying to hit it over the fence.

The Berean

Every team needs a speedy golden glover!

Like this guy?! :banana: Look how far this ball was hit.

willie-mays.jpg

Last edited:

The Berean

Jackie Robinson's name has been mentioned often this past week so I thought I would give bring some historical knowledge about him.

Some tidbits.

-Born in Georgia but grew up in Pasadena.
-His father left the family when Jackie was very young.
-Was a great athlete (baseball, basketball, football, tennis, track).
-The only four-letter athlete at UCLA (football, basketball, baseball, track).
-Robinson served in the US Army asa tank officer during WW II.
-Robinson was court martialed for refusing to sit at the back of a military bus.
-Was acquitted and given an honorable discharge from the US Army.
-Played semi-pro football in Hawaii and Los Angeles.
-After WW II played with the Negro League Kansas City Monarch, a teammate of Satchel Paige.
-His signing by the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1945 was a surprise as Robinson was not considered the best Negro League player.
-Integrated the International League in 1946 playing for the Montreal Royals.
-Spent 10 seasons with the Brooklyn Dodgers withing the National League's Rookie of the Year award in 1947 and the Most Valuable Player award in 1949.
-Retired after the 1956 season to take an executive position with a corporation. He was traded to the New York Giants and he Giants offered him twice as much as his executive position paid. But Robinson was tired of baseball and wanted to set an example for black youth that a black man can be more than just an athlete.
-Had a public feud with Malcolm X.
-Supported Richard Nixon in 1960 because after meeting JFK was shocked that JFK knew next to nothing about the Civil Rights movement.
-Supported Nelson Rockerfeller in the 1960's.
-Founded a bank in Harlem to Harlem natives who couldn't get bank services from large banks.

One word that would describe Robinson is "intense". He spoke plainly sometimes bluntly and this rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He wanted all people including black people to be treated fairly and with respect. He didn't put up with discrimination nor segregation lightly. He fought his entire life to end discrimination.

Here's a good summary of Robinson's life.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?116306-Jackie-Robinson-General-Thread

jackie_robinson_military.jpg

Jackie-Robinson-5.jpg

jackie-robinson-with-family-1957-jpg.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Like this guy?! :banana: Look how far this ball was hit.

Berean,

Did you know there was never a no-hitter thrown at Forbes Field?

Forbes Field existed from 1909 - 1971, more than 4,700 games were played there, but no pitcher ever threw a no-hitter.

There have been 14 no-hitters thrown at Fenway, and 10 at Dodger Stadium.

The Berean

Berean,

Did you know there was never a no-hitter thrown at Forbes Field?

Forbes Field existed from 1909 - 1971, more than 4,700 games were played there, but no pitcher ever threw a no-hitter.

There have been 14 no-hitters thrown at Fenway, and 10 at Dodger Stadium.

Wow, I never knew that! I wonder how many near no-hitters Forbes Field had? How many no-hitters where thrown at Three Rivers Stadium?