The Gospel Of Thomas

JosephR

:nono: See Here

Men can't. That's the problem with the gnostic writings and others like it. We cannot add them simply because 'we' like them. Every book we have in the canon is authorized by the Apostles and Christ. Every book not in the canon was NOT authorized by either.
The Gospel of Thomas

oh wow... you are smarter then that my friend..no Apostles, or Christ was present when they made the canon.. just men... RCC egotistical politician men..and I will not limit my studies to their agenda.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Spirit is Life..............

Spirit is Life..............

The highlighted part is where I disagree. I repeat, Only God is good, no human is capable of an altruistic act. IOW, only God does the "Good" works, not man (any man, saved or not).

You will know this to be true when you actually see it in real life. Nobody involved in such a thing dares to try and take credit for it.

Don't worry about derailing now, this is important and I am not currently involved in other threads. No man can do a "Good" work, he can only desire it. And further, if man has no desire to do it, God will not use him (in a conscious manner). Read about Sampson and see how many times that before it says Sampson did anything it says "the hand of the LORD was upon him (or words to that effect). You will see that repeated throughout the OT. Our attitude should be "Here am I LORD, send me."

Not to over-elongate the 'works vs. grace' issue :),....but yes, we would agree that actions inspired by faith, issuing forth naturally from the higher Spirit-nature, will produce godly fruits, since that is the nature of Spirit. These are pretty basic metaphysical laws and principles. While Paul emphasized the 'faith' and 'grace' part of 'salvation', James perfected the equation that "faith without works is dead",....not dismissing 'faith' at all, only saying that authentic faith inspires 'right action' and that 'action' is 'faith' manifesting and fulfilling itself, since the substance of faith must in full fruition give birth to form, works, the finished product, the perfected result.

Sadly, many of the OSAS folks and some streams of modern evangelical pop-theology preach basically a Pauline gospel, with subtle nuances concerning 'faith' and 'works', which get a bit 'mixed-up' in the 'shake n bake' bag :) Only the Spirit gives life and only out of that pure essence of Deity, does 'God' act in and thru us. Goodness, love, truth, beauty....reveals itself and acts for its own sake.

pj

meshak

BANNED
Banned
So the question is always, what do you believe about Jesus?

Jesus' teachings are summarized in two, love God and love your neighbor as yourself. His teachings are all rooted on those two.

This is what I read from Jesus' word. It is consistent throughout four gospels.

Lon

not one Apostle or Desiple was alive when the canon was made law..or the original 12

this is where we part ways.

You follow the RCC, I will follow the Desiples.
You are blinding yourself. I do not follow RC traditions, in fact or I'd have thier bible. Do you understand that the Protestant Bible has less than the Catholic one? Joseph, you need to familiarize yourself a great deal more with the facts concerning this matter. I don't believe you have near enough of the facts to part ways with me at this venture.

JosephR

You are blinding yourself. I do not follow RC traditions, in fact or I'd have thier bible. Do you understand that the Protestant Bible has less than the Catholic one? Joseph, you need to familiarize yourself a great deal more with the facts concerning this matter. I don't believe you have near enough of the facts to part ways with me at this venture.

well, dont fret to much.. the parting is only in hands reach,not out of ear shot.. I am just learning.. and brought up on protestant Bibles..

I want the truth the 1st century Christians had,not after the 325 canon hallowed and allowed.

JosephR

ANd this is a discussion I will not be able to have untill We have gone thru the entire GOT. and compared with the 4.

So yes I am a novice.and student.

Levolor

ANd this is a discussion I will not be able to have untill We have gone thru the entire GOT. and compared with the 4.

So yes I am a novice.and student.

looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith,... Hebrews 12:2a

It is good to trust Christ.

Lon

oh wow... you are smarter then that my friend..no Apostles, or Christ was present when they made the canon.. just men... RCC egotistical politician men..and I will not limit my studies to their agenda.
Hope that means you watched the video? I have read some of it and have the exact same reservations that Lee Strobel gives in this video.

After that, I believe in a Protestant Canon based on 1) the authority of Christ (what He quoted from) and 2) from the authority of the Apostles and finally 3) from internal consistencies (Peter, for instance says that all of Paul's writings are scripture). Therefore, you nor I get to 'add' whatever we feel like. If a book is authorized by Jesus or His Apostles, it is scripture. If not? :nono: :nono:

Don't hold a man-made set of books in your hands thinking they are on par as if you have authority to do it. You nor I, nor the RC, have that authority. :nono:

JosephR

Watch the video. You are making assumptions.

the video has many lies. all of the gospels are assigned past the 1st century.. Thomas is dated before them all. either way they all complement themselves,, again I say, untill you read the GOT you aree assuming,and I am only half way thru it. so I have no authority on it either..

unknown

Jesus' teachings are summarized in two, love God and love your neighbor as yourself. His teachings are all rooted on those two.

This is what I read from Jesus' word. It is consistent throughout four gospels.
And they asked Him, "Who is our neighbor?" Do you know what He said to them? (that is, according to the NT story)

What Jesus is reported to have said about the two greatest commandments is that the whole of "the law", meaning Torah, is summed up in those two. Most of what Jesus taught in the four gospels is from the OT, there was no NT at the time. That's why Jesus was sent by God to teach the lost sheep of the house of Israel the truth about God in order to correct the prevailing false teachings of the time. They only had an OT at the time. I wish Jesus had written a book and then we would know what He actually said.

Levolor

Lon,

Thank you for your rep.

I have been a long time believing Christian.

Then, I had questions that Christianity could not answer.

I ventured out and studied everything... other religions and more you don't even want to know anything about.

The result?

A strong solid Christian who supports the bible 100%. All that I learned only enriched my understandings.

I see nothing wrong with what Joseph is doing.

Trust Christ. He is the author and finisher of our faith. This is not to say that we should not listen to the spirit in others, but never can a person be distracted from what they 'want'. "God gives us the desire of our hearts". (Psalm 37:4)

Christ leads. As scripture says: "if this be of God, you cannot overthrow it, lest you even be found to fight against God". (Acts 5:39)

Levolor

And they asked Him, "Who is our neighbor?" Do you know what He said to them? (that is, according to the NT story)

What Jesus is reported to have said about the two greatest commandments is that the whole of "the law", meaning Torah, is summed up in those two. Most of what Jesus taught in the four gospels is from the OT, there was no NT at the time. That's why Jesus was sent by God to teach the lost sheep of the house of Israel the truth about God in order to correct the prevailing false teachings of the time. They only had an OT at the time. I wish Jesus had written a book and then we would know what He actually said.

I believe that Christ does write a book... the one that is written upon our hearts*, but of course you know that.

We can read that book when it is on another's heart, too.

Yes, everyone preaches the Gospel... some even use words. :) (some wise person said that.)

*(Jeremiah 31:33 and Hebrews 10:16)

Lon

Lon,

I see nothing wrong with what Joseph is doing.

Trust Christ. As scripture says: "if this be of God, you cannot overthrow it, lest you even be found to fight against God". (Acts 5:39)
This does not mean to chase every wind of doctrine. We judge all things by God's standards, not our own. Therefore, when you were at one time chasing every wind and doctrine, God has words of reprimand for such: Ephesians 4:14 2 and esp. Timothy 4:3-4

I have read the Quran and Satanic Bible as well as many of the gnostic books but not to tickle my itching ears away from sound doctrine, but rather to steer people back away from ear tickling sinking sand to solid rock.

When I teach classes on heresy, I spend much more time teaching truth so that the class will recognize error on their own. Such is ever my endeavor.

JosephR

This does not mean to chase every wind of doctrine. We judge all things by God's standards, not our own. Therefore, when you were at one time chasing every wind and doctrine, God has words of reprimand for such: Ephesians 4:14 2 and esp. Timothy 4:3-4

I have read the Quran and Satanic Bible as well as many of the gnostic books but not to tickle my itching ears away from sound doctrine, but rather to steer people back away from ear tickling sinking sand to solid rock.

When I teach classes on heresy, I spend much more time teaching truth so that the class will recognize error on their own. Such is ever my endeavor.

you take on a wight I cannot imagine.. for teachers and preachers are held to a higher standard..and the millstone is your friend.

But our Lord our God is merciful AMEN.

I challenge you with this however,since we are only not even half way thru the GOT, tell me what specific scripture do you have problem with?

and if you caught on to that , good, it is scripture.. for if the brother of Jesus quoted Enoch, the Desiple Thomas is scripture.. that is not questioned here.. this is not your class..this is unknowns class,and the material is allready the subject. So, what do you have problem with in the GOSPEL of Desiple Thomas ,picked by our Lord Jesus Christ?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
No, our neighbor is not our enemy, read the book.

Our enemy should be treated like our neighbor. That's what Jesus mean.

Jesus does not distinguish those two. His love is way over us.

Jesus' standards are not like ours.