toldailytopic: What about abortion in cases of rape?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 31st, 2012 08:28 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

lifeisgood

I believe a child is a gift of God no matter how it is conceived.

If the mom does not want the baby, I would ask her to please, yes, I would beg her, to please, please, consider adoption instead of compounding a horrible act with another worst one -- abortion; however, I do not have the power to stop the abortion if that is the avenue she would decide to go through.

And if it was in my power to help the woman to go through the pregnancy, I would help her with no qualm at all.

And, no, I would not help her go through with the abortion; that would be her decision and her decision alone. I will not participate in such.

A rape has the potential to produce something good out of something horrible -- a child. Even though ill conceived can bring happiness just by his/her presence. Who knows what God would do with such a child brought about through such horrible act, if only the mom would ask Him to help her.

Abortion leaves nothing to be looked at. No potential for anything good. All is taken away.

The raper? If I could bring him to justice, I would. God did not give man the right to rape. He is a criminal and should be punished.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No ... because this is about the value of the unborn baby's life, not about how the child was created.

To make such an exception would be the equivalent of stating that under certain circumstances it is acceptable to intentionally kill unborn babies.

Silent Hunter

I find it difficult to justify the crime of murder on the grounds of personal victomization. It isn't the child who needs killing.
I didn't expect to be commenting so soon (intending to read along) but I don't think early term abortion (morning after pill or similar within first tri) is murder. Nothing says "adding insult to injury" like having to raise your rapist's child.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 31st, 2012 08:28 AM

There is no excuse for abortion. Not in the case of rape. Not in the case of incest. Not ever.

That sweet child living inside its mother, though perhaps brought about by evil and undesireable methods and circumstances, is INNOCENT and alive. It deserves a chance. It is a human being. It is a child of God.

To deny him or her that chance to grow and become something in this life because of convenience or guilt or trauma or fear is to embrace murder. It is among the most vile of acts we, as humans, are capable of committing.

It is wrong. There is no excuse that can justify the taking of an unborn child's life.

Ever.

oldhermit

I didn't expect to be commenting so soon but I don't think early term abortion (morning after pill or similar within first tri) is murder. Nothing says "adding insult to injury" like having to raise your rapist's child.

I don't care what stage of the pregnancy you are looking at, if it is human and it is alive, then it is murder.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't expect to be commenting so soon (intending to read along) but I don't think early term abortion (morning after pill or similar within first tri) is murder. Nothing says "adding insult to injury" like having to raise your rapist's child.

It's great to see that you still support the murder of children.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't expect to be commenting so soon but I don't think early term abortion (morning after pill or similar within first tri) is murder. Nothing says "adding insult to injury" like having to raise your rapist's child.

A woman doesn't have to raise her rapist's child, and is probably better off giving the child up for adoption if she is unable to get past the resentment she feels towards that child.

There is undeniable trauma for the woman, however, her unborn baby is innocent and not responsible for the actions of his/her father.

lifeisgood

Maybe we could find some examples of a woman who was raped and did raise the child and think that it was the best decision she ever made. Hmm...

I think this is one:
http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/giving-birth-to-a-rapists-child-one-womans-story/

Sickening is that people think that the rapist should have parental rights.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER

Nothing says "adding injury to injury" like murdering an innocent child...only because you were victimized.

Silent Hunter

A woman doesn't have to raise her rapist's child, . . .
Sure she does . . . even if for only nine months.

. . . and is probably better off giving the child up for adoption if she is unable to get past the resentment she feels towards that child.
If she decides to go to term with the pregnancy . . . sure.

There is undeniable trauma for the woman, however, her unborn baby is innocent and not responsible for the actions of his/her father.
While I know your position on this quite well and know your theology (or lack thereof), doesn't this go against the biblical standard that children are responsible for the sins of the father to several generations and what do you think should be the christian response.

oldhermit

This is a matter of representation. Should the child be represented as nothing more than the product of a violent crime, or should the child be represented as simply a child to be cared for?

Silent Hunter

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If she decides to go to term with the pregnancy . . . sure.

So if I decide that I don't like my children, whom I raise and feed and pay for clothing and put a roof over their heads and for whom I purchase school supplies...I should feel free to excecute them?

Chances are, you will spout off something about how it isn't the same thing. It is. Life is life. Murder is murder. Evil is evil.

Why do you worship at the altar of evil?