In Other News Today.....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was reading a male meterologist is suing a network because he isn't young, female, and attractive. And was passed over.

mighty_duck

I was reading a male meterologist is suing a network because he isn't young, female, and attractive. And was passed over.

That's strange, I'm suing the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue for exactly the same reason. I'm just as qualified to wear a swimsuit as Kate Upton is.

WizardofOz

At least 10 people were killed and 39 others wounded during a bloody weekend in Chicago, police said.

Among the dead is a 6-year-old girl.
story

These killings are unrelated. What is going on in Chicago? Is more gun control needed? Obviously people have guns who have no business possessing them.

What would help prevent random gun violence?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
At least 10 people were killed and 39 others wounded during a bloody weekend in Chicago, police said.

story

These killings are unrelated. What is going on in Chicago? Is more gun control needed? Obviously people have guns who have no business possessing them.

Eric Holder suggested brainwashing in 1996. :idunno:

breitbart.com /Big-Government/2012/03/18/Holder-Fight-Guns-Like-Cigarettes

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Maybe not the best phrase to use but I must say, I agree with Holder. The perception of guns among the youth must change.

What youth in particular, what's the perception that needs to be changed, and how would such a change affect the millions of law-abiding youthful gun owners?

some other dude

story

Here you go:
Obviously people have guns who have no business possessing them

Illegal gun use should be prosecuted swiftly, forcefully and severely.

Illegal possession of a firearm? Twenty years - no plea bargaining, no nothing. Twenty years.

Commision of a crime with an illegal firearm? Death penalty.

WizardofOz

What youth in particular, what's the perception that needs to be changed, and how would such a change affect the millions of law-abiding youthful gun owners?

- All youth, but inner city youth specifically.
- change the perception that guns are cool
- He was talking about changing perception, not law. Maybe the law-abiding youth also wouldn't think that guns are really cool anymore :idunno:

What did Holder say in the video that you disagree with?

WizardofOz

Illegal gun use should be prosecuted swiftly, forcefully and severely.

Illegal possession of a firearm? Twenty years - no plea bargaining, no nothing. Twenty years.

Commision of a crime with an illegal firearm? Death penalty.

That is some pretty liberal gun control. Illegal possession could be a permit lapse or other minor error. Twenty years? Some democrats would love you!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
- All youth, but inner city youth specifically.
- change the perception that guns are cool
- He was talking about changing perception, not law. Maybe the law-abiding youth also wouldn't think that guns are really cool anymore :idunno:

Are you making a blanket statement that guns aren't cool?

Thunder's Muse

Wow, police brutality! Unnecessary use of force. You know what they call that here?

Tuesday. :plain:

:chuckle:

On a more serious note, It's hard to know without more details, but it sounds like the police had probable cause to question him, and when he resisted they were probably just following protocol in using non-lethal means to subdue him. Mostly non-lethal, I should probably say...

Yeah. It doesn't happen a great deal here, so it makes headline news when it does.

When I first heard the report, my first thought was 'being in the vicinity doesn't make you guilty' but I doubt the police would have taken it as far as they did, if it wasn't necessary. It's entirely possible he didn't commit the robbery but was guilty of something else.

WizardofOz

Are you making a blanket statement that guns aren't cool?
:liberals:
Did I? Let me know if I did....

If someone wanted to attempt to convince inner city youth that guns are not "cool", would you support or oppose their efforts?

I'm curious, did Holder say anying that you disagree with?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Did I? Let me know if I did....:p

It appears you did here:

change the perception that guns are cool
- Maybe the law-abiding youth also wouldn't think that guns are really cool anymore
If someone wanted to attempt to convince inner city youth that guns are not "cool", would you support or oppose their efforts?
I would be attempting to convince them that their actions or behavior weren't cool, not that guns weren't cool. You can't take the cool out of guns. You can change destructive behavior, though. But not through the kind of gun control Holder would likely espouse. Do you see the point I'm making?

I'm curious, did Holder say anying that you disagree with?
Of course, or we wouldn't be having this conversation. :)

A few quotes:

He wants to make it "not cool to carry a gun anymore."
He wants to "change the way people think about guns."
That it's "wrong to carry a gun."
He wants the anti-gun message in school every day at every level
And to "brainwash people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way."

Note there is no differentiation between the illegal carrying of a gun, and the use of it in commission of a crime. There's no recognition of lawful, responsible gun ownership. Of the existing right of a citizen to carry a gun under existing legal parameters, which is not "wrong." He references "people." That's a lot larger group than students, or minors, or gang members, etc. He's talking anti-gun, not anti-gun violence.

It's all in the language.

WizardofOz

The problem is, inner city youth culture doesn't think "law abiding" is cool.

Maybe that's why he wanted to change perception rather than law. Kids don't quit smoking cigarettes because they're illegal, it's because they are educated and realize how dangerous and harmful they are.

WizardofOz

It appears you did here:

You asked what would change about the law-abiding youth. I speculated that they might not think guns were as cool. We're talking about hypothetical marketing campaign as far as I know. Did Holder get any of these commercials done? :idunno:

Either way, this speculative statement does not imply a blanket statement that guns are not cool.

If someone wanted to convince inner city youth that guns are not cool would you
support or oppose their efforts?

I would be attempting to convince them that their actions or behavior weren't cool, not that guns weren't cool. You can't take the cool out of guns. You can change destructive behavior, though. But not through the kind of gun control Holder would
likely espouse. Do you see the point I'm making?

Maybe that is the message Holder wanted to get out there.
What gun control would he likely espouse? I'm basing my posts on the video. I don't recall gun control even coming up. I'll watch it again though.

Of course, or we wouldn't be having this conversation. :)

Edit: I see you edited your post, I'll respond to the specific objections in another post.

WizardofOz

He wants to make it "not cool to carry a gun anymore."

No objection from me. Do you think carrying a gun makes that person "cool"? Its not a perception I want people to have. :idunno:

He wants to "change the way people think about guns."

Sounds good to me.

That it's "wrong to carry a gun."
Too vague for me to agree with but in context of the entire video, I have no problem with the statement.

He wants the anti-gun message in school every day at every level

Good. Guns are not and should not be allowed in schools.

And to "brainwash people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way."

Brainwash is a careless phrase to use but given his comparison to cigarette marketing, I understand and agree with his desire to change the perception on guns, especially among young males.

Note there is no differentiation between the illegal carrying of a gun, and the use of it in commission of a crime.

The illegal carrying of a gun is the commission of a crime,

There's no recognition of lawful, responsible gun ownership.
Of the existing right of a citizen to carry a gun under existing legal parameters, which is not "wrong."

This was not a part of his message or concern from what I can gather.

He references "people." That's a lot larger group than students, or minors, or gang members, etc.

He says "especially young males". Inner city male youth are where the problems lie. What are your recommended solutions if you dont like Holder's? That is where this began. I asked for solutions to gun violence and you sarcastically offered Holder's video. What do you offer as a sincere solution?