toldailytopic: The 2012 Olympics. Are you excited about this years games? Which event

The Berean

Ethiopia's Tirunesh Dibaba just DESTROYED the women's 10,000 meter field to win her second 10,000 meter gold medal and her third gold medal of her career. She ran the last lap in 62 seconds at the end of a 6.2 mile race. :jawdrop: Her nickname is the Baby Faced Assassin! :chuckle:

dibba_220808.jpg

The Berean

The three American ladies, Amy Hastings (11th), Janet Cherobon-Bawcom (12th), and Lisa Uhl (13th) all ran personal bests. Great job ladies.

The Berean

Today is the day! Today is the day we find out if American Galen Rupp can end 48 years of American distance running futility. The men's 10,000 meter race is in three hours! Only one American man has ever won this race. In 1964 unknown American Billy Mills stunned the world by winning the 10,000. Mills win is still considered the greatest upset in Olympic track and field history. Mills personal story is even more compelling. He was raised in poverty, an orphan, on an Indian reservation. He was a great high school runner and college runner but never seemed to fulfill his great promise due to injuries and racism. He then joined the US Marine Corps. He was still an active Marine when he won the gold medal.

Can Galen Rupp repeat history? :think:

Rupp_Galen-Stockholm10.jpg

The Berean

Galen Rupp wins silver!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Rupp and gold medalist Mo Farah train together in Portland, Oregon!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Bolt was awesome! :mario: I wish Gay had gotten a medal over Gatlin. .01 second behind.

The Berean

The women's marathon was a great race! Unfortunately, it was not a great race for the Americans. Desi Davilla dropped out less than three miles into the race. Shalane Flanagan finished 10th. Kara Goucher finished 11th. Both were with the leaders through the first half of the race. Goucher fell off first. Flanagan tried to hang on with the main group when they pushed the pace. But she faded badly the last 6 miles. Flanagan collapse at the finished and Goucher had to pick her up. What a bummer.

The Berean

Wow. American Leo Manzano wins silver in the 1500 meters! This was TOTALLY unexpected!!! :jawdrop: This is the first Olympic 1500 meter medal by an American male since Jim Ryun in 1968!!! :cigar: American Matthew Centrowitz took 4th as well!

Manzano_LionelQ1a-OlyGames08.JPG

Last edited:

The Berean

So far the American distance runners are having a great Olympics.

Galen Rupp- Silver medal, 10,000 meter
Leo Manzano- Silver medal 1,500 meters
Matt Centrowitz- 4th place, 1500 meters
Evan Jager- 6th place, 3,000 meter steeplechase
Don Cabral- 8th place 3,000 meter steeplechase

The American men have a chance to medal in the 800 meters, 5,000 meters, and marathon as well. Go Team USA!!

Lon

Imho, NBC should never be allowed a bid on the Olympics again. I have been disgruntled on their coverage, poor commentating, and all around boffing-negligent ability. I get the distinct impression this is the first many of them ever heard of "olympics."

The Berean

Imho, NBC should never be allowed a bid on the Olympics again. I have been disgruntled on their coverage, poor commentating, and all around boffing-negligent ability. I get the distinct impression this is the first many of them ever heard of "olympics."

I've been watching most of the track events live online mostly from the BBC coverage. They have way better coverage.