The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
You call that a debate????

I don't see you knocking anyone over to get in line to engage in substantive debate on any subject here on TOL. You merely sit on the sidelines and heckle others.

Roger, I thought of this quote and give it to you. Think about it...
It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

President Theodore Roosevelt, "Citizenship in a Republic," Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Don't settle for being a "cold and timid soul"... :D

Last edited:

Freak

Originally posted by shima
To secretly make fun of all those Christians who are deluding themselves, even when they know they are doing it :D

Said like a true Scientific Religious Zealot. :rolleyes:

Freak

Originally posted by Zakath
...plus have a bit of entertainment

Visiting Christian sites is entertaining for those who are considered to be a scientific religious zealot? :rolleyes: The "psychological" business must be slow around summer time. :rolleyes:

Freak

Originally posted by shima
EVen when some of them are grounded in reason and science, both of which you stated were reasons you believed in the bible?

Are you dense or mentally ill? Or perhaps demonized? Scientific Religious Zealots like yourself are wacky...get a real life instead of visting Christian sites to espouse your flaky religion.:rolleyes:

Freak

Chucky (Zakath) do you have anything better to do with your time then going around visiting Christian sites and espousing your bitterness? ;)

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Freak
Liar!:mad:
Post proof or retract, you pathetic waste of genetic material.

:: punches Freak in the throat, then kicks him in the temple when he falls down::

Last edited:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Visiting Christian sites is entertaining for those who are considered to be a scientific religious zealot? :rolleyes:
Since I don't know any scientific religious zealots, I couldn't tell you.

The "psychological" business must be slow around summer time.
Not mine. With all the time you spend here are we to assume the exorcism biz is in a bit of a seasonal slump?

Freak

Originally posted by Gerald
Post proof or retract, you pathetic waste of genetic material.

:: punches Freak in the throat, then kicks him in the temple when he falls down::

Gerald, you have a way with words unlike anyone I know. :shocked:

Freak

Originally posted by Zakath
Since I don't know any scientific religious zealots, I couldn't tell you.

But you are a scientific religious zealot. The truth is sometimes hard to swallow.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
But you are a scientific religious zealot. The truth is sometimes hard to swallow.
Well, you know how the Zealots of old handled things, don't you? Perhaps we SRZs should follow their example...?

shima

Scientific Religious Zealots like yourself are wacky.

Don't worry, I don't worship science. On the other hand, I don't reject what science has to say either. Science has a much more objective approach to the quest for knowledge than any other endevour, including Christianity.

If Christianity had its way, the truth would never come out. Only the claims by christianity would be deemed "true" and every other claim torn out by its roots. The progress mankind has made over the last few hundred years would be thrown out because some of it contradicts their "truth".

The fact is, Freak: you have no evidence that any of the claims in the bible are more "true" than the claims in the Qur'an, or the claims of the Hindi, or the claims of Buddhists.

If you had such evidence, you would be able to show it to everyone and everyone would be christians. Since you cannot or will not show that evidence, it can only mean that any "evidence" that you have is very subjective.

shima

As I have a physics degree myself, I know what I am talking about. You don't see anyone bowing down and worshipping the Law of Gravity, or the Schrodinger Equation.

Science is open to everyone, and you don't even have to have a certain faith. Science has but three assumptions about the world to make it work:

1) The world as shown by our senses is the real world.
2) Events happening in the real world have a cause.
3) We as human beings are smart enough to find and understand those causes by carefull observation of the real world.

Now, which assumptions must you make to accept the God of the bible?
1) The world as shown by our senses is the real world.
2) The bible is the Word of God and absolutely true, even when contradicting the real world.
3) etc etc ect.

RogerB

You don't see anyone bowing down and worshipping the Law of Gravity, or the Schrodinger Equation.

All I can say is, it's a good thing that the best inventors in the world were not scientists....they would have never dreamed to try the "impossible".