ARCHIVE: Romans 8 and the Open View

Post Modern Fundamentalist
alright, it still sounds good. sometimes the corporate election deal is a little hard to wrap my mind around. not the concept itself but more how it arises from scripture particualarly in certain parts romans 9. I have yet to really dive into the subject. but o well.

but what you've written concerning verse 28 still seems pretty helpful toward the open view if we could exclude say one last sinful thought on the part of the christian (the one thing where I see that Jaltus may have a point) and that paul means not what the christian does to himself but what is done to him, be it suffering or blessings.

Jaltus

I was hoping you would post here. You are one of the few OVers it is worth debating, IMNSHO.

You said:
and how is this different from arminianism? the view of providence is exactly the same and in arminianism, God's plans can be thwarted.
The major difference in Arminianism is that, though God's plans can be thwarted, He knows it ahead of time. There is a world of difference between expecting things to go your way and then being surprised by the outcome (OV) and knowing your plans will not work out as you had wished but having a plan ready to spring into action because you foresaw it coming (A).

and does the open view have to be any different? not at all. we have the same exact view of freedom as arminians except we take it more consistently. we believe that many more possibilities actually have a chance to come true. all God has to do isremove the possibilities that won't lend themselves to being woven into his plan for those who love him.
Actually, that is still a problem because God cannot know which choices made by men could possibly screw Him up (at least He would not exhaustively know since God can and is wrong in the OV). How can He "remove the possibilities that won't lend themselves to being woven into his plan for those who love him" when He cannot even know which possibilities those would be? The only way your system at this point works is if it actually is Molinism, but then you are an Arminian and not an OVer.

(let me know if I should explain my points more thoroughly, as that last point my not have been developed as well as it could have)

If they die they are ushered into the presence of God. Didn't Paul say to live is Christ and to die is gain?

now perhaps you're thinking that they have one last lecherous thought and then they die. Well supposing they are in that state, all God has to do is prevent them from dieing at that moment so that they might repent.

what if in that last moment they reject God and fall away. then 8:28 would no longer apply to them.

Now this is all just one possible solution.
I was thinking more about how it was not God's intention for them to die, for He had more good works in store for them to do (Ephesians 2:10). How can it be a good thing to die before you accomplished with your life what God wanted?

I was not really thinking of losing salvation immediately before death, since that would preclude them from the "coverage" of the Romans 8:28 "insurance plan for believers," as it were, as you rightly point out.

I'll respond to the rest of your post at a later time.

Good objections! Keep them coming!

SteveT

Jaltus:

"The problem with your take is that it denies the connection with at least verse 31, which specifically refers to "us." The verses in question MUST refer to the readers (/hearers, since it was read aloud) as well, meaning that they, at the least, would be included in the discussion, along with Paul."

I don't see how taking the "foreknown" in v.29 to be a reference to the OT saints in any way denies a connection to the "us" of v. 31:

"What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us..."

This is not unlike the comparison of us to Abraham in 4:23, "The words 'it was credited to him' were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness..." Paul frequently draws such "responses for us" from his considerations of OT persons and events.

"However, all commentators take verse 28 to refer to all Christians, so the sudden limitation in verse 29 would be out of the blue, and also lacking in textual proof (no change in subject, etc.)."

Again, Paul regularly refers to OT persons and events as supports for his assertions about how God deals with us today. As I read the section, the discussion about the role of suffering in the life of the Christian is obviously the topic at hand, then here he says those God foreknew He "also" predestined .... The word "also" seems to indicate to me that this is a group of persons other than those he had been talking about before (the "all Christians" of v. 28). Paul uses "also" to indicate a change in the persons he's talking about in Eph 1:13, "and you also were included in Christ..." I think this interpretation fits very well with the consistent use of past tense verbs in v29-30 - predestined, called, justified, glorified. Is there any place else in the entire NT where Paul says we have been glorified, using the past tense? On the contrary, in v.17 he clearly states it as something awaiting us in the future, if we share in his sufferings. He cannot now, a few verses on, be saying that we are already glorified.

"Also, the word is actually "foreknew," and any other rendering is just trying to avoid the implications of this word taken in connection with other passages (e.g. I Peter 1:2, 20; etc)."

Not necessarily. There are other passages where an understanding of "foreknew" as referring to people God knew in ages past makes perfect sense, e.g.

"God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew." (Rom 11:2a)

the only other time in Paul's writing where the word is used.

Arminian

Steve,

"God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew." (Rom 11:2a)

the only other time in Paul's writing where the word is used.

"His call" is theirs (11:29) and he foreknew them. Hhmmm. Paul isn't a Western philosopher, is he?

He must be Jewish.

Arminian

alright, it still sounds good. sometimes the corporate election deal is a little hard to wrap my mind around. not the concept itself but more how it arises from scripture particualarly in certain parts romans 9. I have yet to really dive into the subject. but o well.

Corporate election isn't a doctrine or a systematic theology. It's easier and more natural to understand it in the context of who Paul's opposition were and what they were claiming.

The Western tradidition has it that Paul was opposed by Jews who also had philosophical questions, such as issues concerning individaulism and salvation. But a closer inspection (in my opinion) shows that he is discussing who God's covenant people are and how the promises to the fathers was made complete. So by knowing and identifying with God and his people, what is true of them applies to me in Christ.

Paul's oppositon actually argues that if Paul is correct, God's word has FAILED! That's not an argument concerning individual election -- it's an argument concerning the identity of God's covenant people. The Jew, btw, had no issues with people joining or leaving the elect (God's chosen people). The Jew had a bone to pick with Paul, however, concerning the identity of God's people.

not the concept itself but more how it arises from scripture particualarly in certain parts romans 9.

I've posted below something that I've posted before. The fonts are lost in this forum, however. I may clean it up later. There's a lot more to say concerning Romans 9, but this is a start.

The notion of "vessels" is often used to support the indiviual election theory. I think a parallel is quite probable with Rom 9 and Sirach, whether it be a direct allusion or a commonly understood tradition. And so we should take a close look at Sirach and Romans.

The Book of Sirach (The Wisdom of Ben Sira or Ecclesiasticus in many Latin Vulgate mss) was written by Ben Sira (Prologue by his grandson) during a time of turmoil in the Jewish community, early in the second century B.C.

At the time the Jews in Palestine were not a free people, but were subject to "other nations" who continually fought to gain control of this strategically important territory. Palestine had been under the control of Persia for two centuries. In 332 B.C. Alexander the Great conquered the Persian empire and gained control. Upon his death his vast empire was divided among his four generals. Two of those generals, Ptolemy (Egyptian) and Seleucus
(Syrian), became rivals for control. Their dynasties contended for the land for years to come.

In 301 the Ptolemaic (Egyptian) dynasty finally prevailed and controlled Palestine. Under their control the Jews were able to maintain their religious and social independence generally, the high priest remained the spiritual leader of the covenant community, though they did continue to pay taxes to Egypt.

Meanwhile the Seleucid (Syrian) kings sought to wrest control from Egypt. Finally Antiochus III, a Seleucid, conquered the armies of Ptolemy V. The land holy to the covenant people, the Jews, became subject to Seleucid control.

Significant to Jewish identity as God's chosen people, chosen out from among the "other peoples" of the world, was the impact this foreign rule was having on the nation. This was a period of intense Hellenization, policies cultivated from the time of Alexander the Great. Issues of Greek philosophy, religion and culture was impacting considerably the religious faith and practice of the Jewish community, a people was presumably to be "set apart"
from these nations.

Ben Sira's purpose in writing his book was to demonstrate to his fellow Jews where true wisdom resided: in Jerusalem and not Athens. That is, the Jews were God's covenant people to whom had been given His Wisdom. To reinforce Jewish social and religious integrity the author gloried in the Jewish covenantal distinctiveness and separated way of life. He combined the Jewish wisdom tradition and the traditions in the Book of Moses.

The central point of Ben Sira is that Israel is God's chosen, His portion, whereas the other nations have rulers of their own.

He appointed a ruler for every nation, but Israel is the Lord's
own portion. (ch. 17)

The book is divided into three major divisions with a Prologue and Conclusion:

Grandson's Prologue
Division I (1:1-23:28)
Division II (24:1-43:33)
Division III (44:1-50:24)
Conclusion (50:25-51:30)

As I posted before, Sirach 24:1-22 is "The Praise of Wisdom," a poem which praises personified wisdom, bringing to a climax the "wisdom" poems in Sirach and transitioning into the second division. In these poems hidden wisdom is found in the Lord and is available to those who are in solidarity with His people, Israel; for it is through Israel that the Lord demonstrates and manifests His wisdom, in the covenant and Mosaic law.

This Wisdom poem has 35 lines, as it is patterned after Proverbs 8 which has 35 lines. Personified Wisdom delivers a 22-line speech. Though Wisdom holds sway over all peoples and nations she dwells in Jerusalem, having Israel, "the portion of the Lord," as her inheritance. Ben Sira then identifies Wisdom with the law. The place of God's Wisdom as established at Sinai is Jerusalem, the nation of Israel.

Stanza 1 (24:3-7) tells of Wisdom's origin and part in the creation of the world. The stanza concludes with Wisdom's quest for rest and residence. Human seeking and finding wisdom is portrayed in an inverted form, Wisdom's seeking and finding an abode:

Among all these I sought a resting place;
in whose territory should I abide? (v. 7)

Stanza 2 (24:8-12) tells of the answer to that quest. Where does Wisdom find her abode, in whom does Wisdom dwell?

Then the Creator of all things gave me a command, and My
Creator chose the place for my tent. He said, "Make your
dwelling in Jacob, and in Israel make your inheritance" ... and
so I was established in Zion. Thus in the beloved city He gave
me a resting place, and in Jerusalem was my domain. I took
root in an honored people, in the portion of the Lord, His
heritage. (vv. 8, 10b-12)

For Ben Sira Israel was the Lord's elect, His portion, His heritage. This is the language of collective solidarity. Israel, the corporate whole, is the Lord's portion, the abiding place of His wisdom. Therein alone is to be found His wisdom. In wisdom is found deliverance.

Stanza 3 (24:13-17) tells of Wisdom taking root in Jerusalem and flourishing like a tree. And the conclusion of the poem is Wisdom's invitation to her feast.

Come to me, you who desire me, and eat your fill of my fruits.
For the memory of me is sweeter than honey, and the possession
of me sweeter than the honeycomb ... Whoever obeys me will not
be put to shame, and those who work with me will not sin. (vv.
19-20, 22)

The call is to join the Lord's elect, Israel. To find wisdom is to find deliverance and rest. Wisdom, deliverance and rest is found only in solidarity with God's elect. The call of Wisdom is to join the elect body, to dwell in Zion, in Jerusalem His chosen city, the city of His inheritance.

Though Israel, Zion and Jerusalem are the dwelling place of God's Wisdom, the individual Jew must also make a choice. Will they be faithful to God's covenant? Or will they fall away from the covenant? First, their falling away from the covenant (and God's wisdom which dwells in Israel) is not God's doing:

Do not say, "It was the Lord's doing that I fell away." For He does
not do what He hates. Do not say, "It was He who led me astray."
For He has no need of the sinful. (15:11-12)

Second, the "fear of the Lord" is the beginning of wisdom. The wise, those who dwell faithfully in Israel in God's wisdom, thus in covenant harmony, these are the ones who fear the Lord and hate sin:

The Lord hates all abominations; such things are not loved who
fear Him. (15:13)

Third, each has a choice to make in the midst of their present turmoil among the nations from whom they had been chosen. One can choose to remain in or fall away from Israel and the covenant wherein resides God's Wisdom:

It was He who created humankind in the beginning, and He left
them in the power of their own free choice. If you choose,
you can keep the commandments, and to act faithfully is a matter
of your own free choice. He has placed before you fire and water;
stretch out your hand for whichever you choose. Before each
person is life and death, and whichever one chooses will be
given. (15:14-17)

Sira's timely message to the Jewish people is that out of all of creation the Lord has elected His portion, Israel. There His wisdom dwells for those who seek it. Deliverance is in solidarity with God's elect. The Lord has elected the people of Israel by an eternal covenant. Yet, not "every Jew" will be delivered, but "to those who repent He grants a return" (17:24). Those who remain faithful to Torah and wisdom (contained in Sirach) will be
delivered. Faithfulness to Torah is solidarity with the covenant people, the "portion of the Lord." Solidarity with all other peoples results in repayment and recompense. Those who fall away from Israel, God's elect portion, will be given what they choose.

As stated above, the Wisdom poem of chapter 24 is the transition from the Wisdom poems (Division I) to a series of admonitions for the people to observe in life among the nations (Division II). Sira admonishes by way of sections of precept, proverb and beatitude:

a. 25:1-26:27
b. 26:28-29:20
c. 29:21-33:18
d. 33:19-38:23
e. 38:24-41:13
f. 41:14-43:33

For now we will focus on section "c" (29:21-33:18). In the sub-section (32:14-33:6) we find precepts and directives identifying the fear of the Lord and the maintenance of the covenant as that for which one will never be put to shame, whereas the sinner, the fool, suffers loss.

The one who seeks God will accept His discipline, and those who
rise early to seek Him will find favor. The one who seeks the law
will be filled with it, but the hypocrite will stumble at it ...
Those who fear the Lord will form true judgments, and they will
kindle righteous deeds like a light. The sinner will find a decision
according to his liking ... Guard yourself in every act, for this is
the keeping of the commandments. (32:14-17, 23)

The one who keeps the law preserves himself, and the one who
trusts the Lord will not suffer loss. No evil will befall the one
who fears the Lord, but in trials such a one will be rescued again
and again. The wise will not hate the law ... The sensible person
will trust in the law; for such a one the law is as dependable as
a divine oracle. (32:24-33:3).

The references here to the law ("seeking" "keeping" "not hating" "trusting") are not references to doing the law in order to "enter" the covenant. The Jew was already in the covenant by having been born a Jew. Being a member of Israel was being in covenant relationship, for Israel was God's elect people. These references are to the Jew's responsibility to "maintain" that covenant relationship. The law was the center of covenant life; the law
was the wisdom of God. Fear of the Lord and wisdom maintained covenant. These are found in Israel, Jerusalem, Zion.

Ben Sira's purpose in writing his book was to demonstrate to his fellow Jews where true wisdom resided: in Jerusalem. That is, the Jews were God's covenant people to whom had been given His Wisdom. He here reinforces Jewish social and religious integrity, glorying in the Jewish distinctiveness and separated way of life.

In the sub-section (33:7-18) we find a series of pairs which interestingly merges Greek conceptuality (classification into categories of opposites) with Jewish Wisdom categories. As Sira later says: "All things come in pairs, one opposite the other, and He has made nothing incomplete" (42:24).

Why is one day more important than another, when all the
daylight in the year is from the sun? By the Lord's wisdom
they were distinguished, and He appointed the different
seasons and festivals. Some days He exalted and hallowed,
and some He made ordinary days. (7-9)

The first opposing pair is direct reference to the Jewish calender of weeks, months and festivals based on the luner year (cf. 43:6-8; 39:12; 50:6). "Exalted and hallowed" days are the "seasons and festivals" marking and celebrating the covenant at Sinai where God chose Israel from among the nations and made them a holy and set apart nation. The contrast is to the "ordinary days" of the nations, those outside the covenant of the Lord. Sira's
focus here is to direct the reader's attention to the distinction between themselves and the surrounding nations who were causing such turmoil. They can rest in their elect status as God's portion, His elect covenant people.

All human beings come from the ground, and humankind was
created out of the dust. In the fullness of His knowledge He
distinguished them and appointed their different ways. Some
He blessed and exalted and some He made holy and brought near
to Himself; but some He cursed and brought low, and turned
them out of their place. (10-12)

The second opposing pair further distinguishes the "blessed" covenant people Israel "appointed" (elected to be His special covenant people) to be His portion from among the other nations who remained outside the blessing. Israel had been "blessed" (in Abraham their father) and "exalted" (chosen as His portion) and "made holy" (set apart from the other nations) and "brought near" (through their exclusive priesthood) to the Lord.

But the opposite to this is His cursing of the other nations. In His exaltation of Israel the other nations outside the Sinai covenant are "brought low." This is not a reference to each non-Jew being cursed to an eternal damnation. Deliverance and wisdom were always available to the nations; they need only become members of Israel, the dwelling place of God's Wisdom, the exclusive source of life. Solidarity with the elect people was
deliverance. Sira's purpose is to re-establish the integrity of the elect nation, Israel, in the minds of his troubled readers.

Like clay in the hand of the potter, to be molded as He pleases,
so all are in the hand of their Maker, to be given whatever He
decides. (13)

Here we see the work of the electing Lord as a potter, the Lord who chose Israel to be His portion out of and instead of the other nations as a potter molds clay as he pleases.

The pairs continue:

"good ... evil"
"life ... death"
"sinner ... godly"

Sira then concludes:

Look at all the works of the Most High; they come in pairs,
one the opposite the other.

The Lord's works come in pairs. Sira encourages his distraught readers that God has indeed chosen them for good, for life, to be godly. They should take comfort and remain in the Jewish covenant; they should not be swayed by the nations who rule over them, for wisdom does not dwell in their midst.

But the Jew was responsible to remain in the covenant and not fall away by his own free choice. To fall away was to accept the wisdom of the nations; but within the nations dwells only evil, death and sinners. There are "pairs" to God's works, says Sira; and there is a choice to make between following those nations and maintaining their covenant membership within Israel, the dwelling place of God's Wisdom.

Let's look at a couple sources for Ben Sira's book. It is clear that he merges the Hebrew Wisdom tradition and the Book of Moses (Pentateuch). It appears that he draws from the Prophets as well, as his grandson says he has. Take a look at this parallel from Jeremiah:

This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: "Go
down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my
message." So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw
him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the
clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into
another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

Then the word of the Lord came to me: "O house of Israel, can
I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD.
"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O
house of Israel. If at any time I announce that a nation or
kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that
nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not
inflict on it the disaster I had planned.

And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to
be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does
not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do
for it.

Now therefore say to the people of Judah and those living in
Jerusalem, 'This is what the Lord says: Look! I am preparing a
disaster for you and devising a plan against you. So turn from
your evil ways, each one of you, and reform your ways and your
actions.' But they will reply, 'It's no use. We will continue with
our own plans; each of us will follow the stubbornness of his
evil heart.'"

Therefore this is what the LORD says: "Inquire among the nations:
Who has ever heard anything like this? A most horrible thing has
been done by Virgin Israel. Does the snow of Lebanon ever vanish
from its rocky slopes? Do its cool waters from distant sources
ever cease to flow? Yet my people have forgotten me; they burn
incense to worthless idols, which made them stumble in their
ways and in the ancient paths. They made them walk in bypaths
and on roads not built up. Their land will be laid waste, an object
of lasting scorn; all who pass by will be appalled and will shake
their heads. Like a wind from the east, I will scatter them before
their enemies; I will show them my back and not my face in the
day of their disaster."

They said, "Come, let's make plans against Jeremiah; for the
teaching of the law by the priest will not be lost, nor will
counsel from the wise, nor the word from the prophets. So come,
let's attack him with our tongues and pay no attention to anything
he says." (Jer 18:1-18)

The Jews of Ben Sira's day understood all of this "preparing a disaster ... and devising a plan" against Israel and Israel being "laid waste." The understood this as having been behind them, Jeremiah's reference being to the Babylonian Captivity from which the nation had already been restored.

another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

In Second Temple Judaism the restored Jews, the restored house of Israel, believed that THEY were God's "other pot" which He had formed to replace the "marred" pot, those upon whom the Lord had brought disaster and captivity, those who had previously followed the "stubbornness of his evil heart."

Our interest is how the Jews understand the nature of Israel's elect status, and here how Ben Sira reflects that common understanding. The picture is of God electing a nation from among the nations, a clan from among the clans, a family from among the families. Deliverance and possession of Wisdom was not on the basis of individuals being selected as recipients. It was the corporate entity, the body, the collective whole which received the
blessings.

The individual Jew was born into the covenant but nevertheless had to "maintain" their position within the elect body by their own free choice. They could "fall away" from the elect body "by free choice." And the individual Gentile was outside this blessing on the basis of their corporate solidarity with the "other nations," but could nevertheless become a member of the elect nation by choice and thereby receive the blessings.

Now having read Paul we know that Ben Sira and Second Temple Judaism misinterpreted Jeremiah. Jeremiah says:

another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him ...

... Then the word of the Lord came to me: "O house of Israel,
can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD.
"Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O
house of Israel."

The "pot He was shaping from the clay" which became "marred in His hands" was the national Israel, the covenant community established at Mount Sinai. This covenant could not make one righteous. It was weak. It was only a temporary measure until the arrival of the Seed of Abraham in whom God would bless all nation, in whom God would establish a new covenant community.

When the Lord promises to "form it into another pot" He is referring to "that day" when the Seed of Abraham arrives, and one's being a physical Israelite, a Jew, will matter nothing. For in that day all peoples of the world will be blessed with Abraham by faith. There will no longer be "Jew" and "Gentile." But there will only be one people, a new creation in Him, created for good works which the old people ("marred pot") were unable to do. The
new people ("another pot") will be enabled to do it, however, for they will have the law written upon their hearts by the Spirit of God Himself.

But is this fair? Is it a just God who would form a covenant people and then turn from them? Sure, individual Jews may fall away from Holy Israel (God's holy, set apart nation) by disobedience. But would a just God reject His people as a whole? His very own portion from the earth? Hasn't He promised to restore His people to greatness and righteousness? Has He now rejected His covenant people? If so then the very word of the Lord has failed!

These are the questions asked of Paul as he proclaimed his gospel of the arrival of "another pot" and the destruction of the "marred pot." Paul's answer is that the Jews had misread the promise to Abraham. It was to Abraham and "his Seed." Not "seeds" as if the reference is to the earthly nation of Israel (the "marred pot"). But to Jesus, His Anointed Servant who would establish the "true" Israel, the obedient nation ("another pot"), a holy
nation and chosen race as Peter describes it. The Jews had misread the promise. For, as Paul argued

But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are
not all Israel who are descended from Israel; neither are they
all children because they are Abraham’s descendants.

God's word has NOT failed; the Jewish reading of that word was in error. For the promise to Abraham was not to be confused with the Sinai covenant, wherein the Jewish nation had been established. There was no longer any "boast in the flesh," that is, boast in physical descent from Abraham, Isaac or Jacob.

That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of
God, but the children of the promise are regarded as
descendants.

Of course, Paul goes to lengths in many of his books to explain who the true descendants of Abraham are: those who are, by faith, in Messiah. Paul continues his explication of the "true Israel" as contrasted to the "marred pot" and His righteousness in His choice.

... for though the twins were not yet born, and had not done
anything good or bad, in order that God’s purpose according to
His choice might stand, not because of works, but because of
Him who calls ... Just as it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau
I hated."

God's choice of His Messianic vehicle of deliverance was a just choice. The physical Jew's complaint that God would be unjust to reject the "marred pot" (the Sinai covenant people) has no merit. God is just in His choices. He has chosen Messiah and has rejected Sinai. Sinai was only temporary. Those who abide in Sinai abide in sin, for there is no longer cover in Sinai; it is obsolete. Those who abide in God's Elect One, Messiah, abide in
the very Wisdom of God.

The Jewish response:

Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?

"If you are right, Paul," according to the Jews, "then God is unjust for finding fault in us, the Jews. For a Jew is a Jew. One cannot resist being Jewish. One cannot change the covenant which formed the Jewish nation, which was His righteous will."

On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God?
The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make
me like this, will it? Or does not the potter have a right over
the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable
use, and another for common use?"

God is just in reshaping the clay from a "marred pot" into "another pot." For the molded does not answer back to the molder. The Potter has every right over the clay in His hands.

What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to
make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of
wrath prepared for destruction? And He did so in order that He
might make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy,
which He prepared beforehand for glory, even us, whom He also
called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.

The "vessels of wrath prepared for destruction" are the "nations" from whom the nation of Israel had been set apart under Sinai. He had endured until the coming of His Servant, in whom He would make known the riches of His glory. The "us" is the "other pot" composed of both Jew and Gentile together in one covenant in Messiah.

Paul's argument is that the "other pot" is God's elect people, and no longer was the "marred pot" a part of His plan. And the mystery now revealed is that this "other pot" was His plan from the foundation. Messiah, His Elect One, had been chosen from the foundation. And the "other pot" was to be composed of both Jew and Gentile. The Jewish exclusivism of the "marred pot" was no longer a part of His plan.

Paul includes a few more OT texts to support the point:

As He says also in Hosea, I will call those who were not my
people, "My people," and her who was not beloved, "Beloved."

His point is that those who had previously not been a part of the chosen, who in fact had been excluded from the commonwealth, were now included as a part of the elect. For the elect are those who abide in His Elect One. Jewish exclusivism is a thing of the past. All peoples are fellow-heirs in Messiah. Deliverance is open to all peoples. And not on the basis of their becoming members of the elect physical nation, but now on the basis of
their becoming members of the "true" Elect One, by faith.

Wisdom dwells in this new covenant people, for Messiah IS God's Wisdom. Those who join partake in God's Wisdom.

Last edited:

JustMe

Re: Conclusion

Re: Conclusion

Originally posted by Jaltus: In the Open View, God's plans can be defeated. Romans 8:28 clearly says that all things that happen work for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. That means that, according to the OV, God's plans which would benefit the believer can be thwarted by the believer themself. At the same time, this would negate 28.

Greg Boyd agrees implicitly with this statement, as he says in his book God of the Possible, pg. 153...How then does this square with Romans 8:28? It simply does not, and therefore I believe it is impossible to hold a high view of scripture and still hold to the Open View of God.
Please review pg. 155, "Find Comfort in the Trials."

I think Rom. 8:28 affirms God's commitment to the believer that, regardless of whatever adverse situations are encountered in life, He will see us through it.

I think the idea that things can get pretty messed up are a reality. How many believers, including ourselves, make mistakes that mess things up for themselves, sometimes fatally?

It doesn't negate the verse, for God can adjust and maneuver "all things" to the believer's advantage.

On the one hand, we can't deny the reality that bad things do happen, which seem to have no purpose in the mind of God; on the other hand, God is wise enough to bring good, if not out of it, in spite of it.

Arminian

Corporate election:

As He says also in Hosea, I will call those who were not my
people, "My people," and her who was not beloved, "Beloved."

hello Jake, thanks for the info but I do believe I saw it before and it was pretty interesting. two things though, it is pretty long, and I don't really mind that (avmetro posted a huge commentary and that was way too long which I thought was excessive) but the forum now has a rule about that. (though I'm sure I can't catch all such posts in the future-wink wink, nudge nudge :D ) the other thing though is that it's other stuff in romans 9 that seems a little difficult to understand with the "new view of Paul and Romans" and the corporate view with a couple other versus other than pots and vessels. but lets not get to far off track.

I usually don't say much about staying on topic as I myself indulge in getting off topic but I'd like this thread to remain about Jaltus' question, though if he doesn't mind, then so be it. If the topic starter doesn't mind getting a bit off topic then I think it should be fine to wander off a bit, or a lot, but if the topic starter doesn't want any of that, I would support him in that.

In light of post length though, I would like to recommend to knight that he let you write an article for the front page of tol critically examining Romans 9-11 and explaining corporate election. You could give us a thorough run-through and length will not be an issue.

perhaps I could send you some of the questions I've had about the issue and you could write some of the article with that in mind.

Jaltus

I was hoping you would post here. You are one of the few OVers it is worth debating, IMNSHO...Good objections! Keep them coming!

Oh p'shaw! you flatter me you honey dripper. :eek:

Actually, that is still a problem because God cannot know which choices made by men could possibly screw Him up

Ah! but you err here sir. In the open view, it is not that God does not know which choices will mess up his plans but rather he does not know which choices will be made. In a picture that Boyd calls neo molinism, God knows all of the possible choices. He knows that there are many truly possible choices open at certain given moments and there is no fact of the matter about which choice will be made. that does not mean that there is no fact of the matter of the consequences of those choices.

There is a world of difference between expecting things to go your way and then being surprised by the outcome... (at least He would not exhaustively know since God can and is wrong in the OV)

I never see God being surprised in the consequences of choices (unless those consequences are choices themselves). But it is the choices themselves that he is surprised or disappointed in. As an aside, interestingly, though of course I believe in a sin nature, and though we emphasize so strongly how natural it is for man to sin, ironically, it seems that God is never surprised when people respond in the right way towards him. He is surprised though occasionally at horrendous sin.

A classic examples is Jerimaiah 3:7 (there’s a better example where a specific horrendous sin is mentioned, child sacrifice, but I couldn’t find it.)

Yet even after she had done all that, I thought that she would come back to me. But she did not. Her sister, unfaithful Judah, saw what she did.

Now we openness folks believe that God believed that Israel would return to him but he still new that it was possible that they wouldn’t. He expected them to return but he knew the consequences if they shouldn’t. So in the open view, God not only knows all the possibilities, he has hopes for certain possibilities. So his knowledge is never wrong and in that sense God is never wrong. But his hopes for some issues may not come to pass. But that does not mean that he did not have a plan for such an event. God banished Israel to Babylon and Israel benefited from that spiritually. But I’m sure he was hoping that he would not have to do so.

Arminian

In light of post length though, I would like to recommend to knight that he let you write an article for the front page of tol critically examining Romans 9-11 and explaining corporate election.

Sounds like a lot of work.

But the concept is very simple. Paul is arguing for the identity of God's covenant people. He isn't discussing which unsaved individuals are the elect. To a Jew, only people that are presently covenant memebers are part of the elect, so, by definition, unbelievers can't be elect.

That is why Paul discusses the topic of election along with circumcision. If the Jews and Paul were concerned with which unsaved individuals are elect, circumcision would not be an issue. But it is an issue because Paul is discussing the identity of the elect, which, by definition, is a reference to God's people who ARE covenant members.

Who are God's covenant people? If not the Jews, hasn't God's word failed? If God's covenant people are national Israel, then anyone who wants to be a member of the elect needs to be circumcised. How about the promises God made to Abraham and his flesh? And so the argument goes..........

Last edited:

geralduk

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart
Is the Christian dealing with a LIVING GOD,or they only dealing with the iron decree of fate?

If everything in the future of the Christian were already written in stone,why would he tell us to make our requests be known to Him in prayer?

There is a prayer that we might consider.The Lord Himself came down to earth to be crucified on Calvary,but listen to His prayer to the Father on the very eve of Calvary:

"O My Father,if it be possible,let this cup pass from Me"(Mt.16:39).

With the Lord Jesus the necessity to drink it arose from no stern and irrevocable edict of the past,but from the sovereign will of a present living God.And the Father,even then,would answer His prayer if redemption could be won at any price less terrible and costly.

Yet there are those who would rebuke a Christian mother for praying that the Lord would save the children He has given her.

They would say,Why are you praying.Don´t you know that all things are already fated to occur just as it has already been determined by God?

If the doctrine that all things are already predetermined to happen become a limitiation on His power to bless and save,then that doctrine denegrates into a denial of the very truth on which it rests--the sovereignty of the Almighty God.

In His grace,--Jerry

He was not praying that the will of God be not done but that it MIGHT BE DONE!
He was DYING in the garden when according to the scriptures He was to die on a cross on the day of atonement(the next day) the lamb of God who was to take away the sins of the world.
So He prayed that the cup of death would pass from Him that night.
and "in that He feared He was heard" and angles came and ministered unto Him and strengthed Him.
He prayed according to the WILL of God.
For He KNEW the will of God from the SCRIPTURES(see His dealing with PETER)
The PRIMARY means by which God has CHOSEN for His WILL to be done and the kingdom of God to be brought into mainifestation is by PRAYER.
There was NO other way than that which was written for Him to die.
and it took such EFFORT and agonizing prayer that He sweat drops of blood.
So that He would not fall into tempation.
Remember that He told the diciples to pray lest they fall into tempation for the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
In the flesh He would have died under the pressure of the hour which had come and the WEIGHT of sin that was pressing on Him.
But He prayed the disiples slept.
When the trial came He was ready and STRONG and able to stand.

As to the rest according to your faith let be unto you.
ALL things ARE possible to him that believeth.

no no. by not answering today you implicitely make me the winner. I win! hurray for me! that will teach you! Ha!

I'm sorry to take advantage of your illness like this but if it makes me win, which it does, How can you blame me?

Last edited:
Y

Yxboom

All opportunities to respond are hereby forfeit and you have voluntarily relinquished any and all further praises for a good response. ;)