ECT With Men This is Impossible

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at what the Lord Jesus said about the works of the Law when He answered the following question:

"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself"
(Mt.19:16-19).​

In those verses the Lord Jesus told the man one way that he could obtain eternal life, and that way is by keeping the moral law. Then let us look at what the two said to one another:

"All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions" (Mt.19:20-22).​

As the Lord said in verse 19 if we want to inherit eternal life by keeping the commandments then we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. And that would include giving what we have to the poor. Upon hearing that the young man went away. Then the Lord said:

"Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God"
(Mt.19:18-19).​

His disciples then asked him the following question:

"Who then can be saved?" (V.25).​

To this question the Lord answered, saying:

"With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible" (v.26).​

The Lord was teaching them that if a person attempts to be saved by keeping the moral law then he will find it impossible to do. That is why Paul wrote this:

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Ro.3:20).​

However, the LORD who is rich in mercy, reveals another way whereby a person can obtain eternal life:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

There is only one way that a person can obtain eternal life and that is by faith and faith alone. The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any teaching which says that we can only obtain eternal life by both faith and keeping the moral law.

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
This is on point and Gospel sharp! I love how God is standing before the man as the ONE that is about to "give all He has" ... to the poor ... and the man is so focused on his own "merit and wealth" that he misses that He is conversing with the Almighty!

It's also kind of sad when the man is too proud to seek out what Christ is telling him.

By Faith and faith alone... Amen Jerry! Amen!!!

Interplanner

Let us look at what the Lord Jesus said about the works of the Law when He answered the following question:

"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself"
(Mt.19:16-19).​

In those verses the Lord Jesus told the man one way that he could obtain eternal life, and that way is by keeping the moral law. Then let us look at what the two said to one another:

"All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions" (Mt.19:20-22).​

As the Lord said in verse 19 if we want to inherit eternal life by keeping the commandments then we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. And that would include giving what we have to the poor. Upon hearing that the young man went away. Then the Lord said:

"Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God"
(Mt.19:18-19).​

His disciples then asked him the following question:

"Who then can be saved?" (V.25).​

To this question the Lord answered, saying:

"With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible" (v.26).​

The Lord was teaching them that if a person attempts to be saved by keeping the moral law then he will find it impossible to do. That is why Paul wrote this:

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Ro.3:20).​

However, the LORD who is rich in mercy, reveals another way whereby a person can obtain eternal life:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

There is only one way that a person can obtain eternal life and that is by faith and faith alone. The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any teaching which says that we can only obtain eternal life by both faith and keeping the moral law.

Pretty good, although the keeping of the moral law that he meant was not a requirement but a spontaneous outcome.

The thing that get misunderstood here can be found in Gal 5:23 'against these there is no law.'
People have often asked why it gets translated as 'against such there is no law.' (even in the NIV). I don't know. There is no point in Paul saying that. But it is written to people obsessed with laws for or against things. So he's trying to say that isn't laws about them because they just grow naturally in the person led by the Spirit. The person looking for laws for/against actions is going to be disappointed by the Spirit's work!