ECT Why Paul?

heir

TOL Subscriber
The Lord already had his 12 men (Matthew 10:1-4 KJV) preaching the gospel of the kingdom/ the kingdom of heaven is at hand and later Matthias replaced Judas being numbered with the eleven (Acts 1:25-26 KJV) restoring the number of them to 12 who were preaching a gospel and will in the future judge the twelve tribes of Israel (Matthew 19:28). So then you have to ask yourself:

Why Paul?

Why did the Lord have to appear to Paul Himself if this was all the same good news?

Why not just send one of the 12?

The Lord already had his 12 men (Matthew 10:1-4 KJV) preaching the gospel of the kingdom/ the kingdom of heaven is at hand and later Matthias replaced Judas being numbered with the eleven (Acts 1:25-26 KJV) restoring the number of them to 12 who were preaching a gospel and will in the future judge the twelve tribes of Israel (Matthew 19:28). So then you have to ask yourself:

Why Paul?

Why did the Lord have to appear to Paul Himself if this was all the same good news?

Interesting question. I have a few thoughts on this, but it's only opinion, am not stating anything I can well substantiate.

Matthias was chosen by drawing lots. This has always struck me as no way to choose an apostle! Presume the Lord would rig the gambling method? (What next, ask the Lord to change some pebbles into loaded dice? By the way, just what did Matthias accomplish?) Also, Paul was brilliant, adept in Jewish law, and the evil he was doing to Christians wasn't motivated by wanting to do evil, rather done in ignorance, thinking he was doing right by Judaism. So, it isn't as if the Lord was choosing somebody willfully Satanic: Paul was a "good" and zealous Jew, thinking he was right by God.

Paul's knowledge of the law and standing in Judaism was, it would seem, essential to be able to get the gospel of grace and faith across to his peers: who would have listened to him, expounding on the new covenant and how it was positioned, with respect to the law, if he were a Gentile, or another fisherman, to go up against hard Judaizers? Nobody would have listened. It may have taken a real scholar of the law to just sort that all out and write the likes of the book of Hebrews. Paul could see the gospel of Christ as the next step up from the law, graduating from the schoolmaster. In education, Paul was unlike the other 12 this way, and Paul did pull off tying the entire old and new covenants together, reconciling the gospel to Judaism, in essence tying what we have as the Bible together. Maybe the Lord also saw Paul a tireless, dedicated worker who, given the right motivations, his zeal would make the gospel go far into the world, which the gospel did, because of Paul. I don't know if the argument could be made there was any harder working apostle and missionary. I think Paul was amazing, God, of course, knowing what Paul could accomplish.

Just some thoughts, for what it's worth.

oatmeal

Why Paul?

Paul had the background, education and zeal and commitment to scripture to do what was required of him

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Why Paul?

The 12 walked with Christ for over three years and judged Israel on twelve thrones after Pentecost.

It culminated in the destruction of the whole nation and the only ones saved out of it were the believers.

The command to go into all the world has continued since then by further apostles and prophets.

Paul was chosen as an example of longsuffering for believers of the nations.

Peter and the other apostles suffered the same, but Paul had many qualifications for the work which the others did not have, and his ministry was to the saved mainly.

However after saying all of that, and recognizing the Angel of the Lord with Peter, we see that Paul had the same.

People who look at men ought place their eyes upon Him who was with, upon, and in them, and see Jesus Christ as the one who was going into all of the world with His gospel.

Luk 13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
Luk 13:35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Act 5:14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)
Act 5:15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
Act 5:16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

LA

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why Paul?

Another question is why did he have to appear to Peter in Acts 10 if he was going to every nation as told in Matthew 28?

Interesting question. I have a few thoughts on this, but it's only opinion, am not stating anything I can well substantiate.

Don't over think it, the answer is easy and obvious. And it is in the text of what they preach.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul had the background, education and zeal and commitment to scripture to do what was required of him

Paul was his enemy. That is the reason he choose him as the vessel. Have ever heard an idiot liberal say "consider the source"?

Last edited:

DAN P

Why Paul?

Hi and Paul was the only GIG in town !!

Christ could not save Israel as they and PENTECOST were DOOMED !!

Just as all the Fall from Grace are ACCURSED !!

DAN P

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi and Paul was the only GIG in town !!

Christ could not save Israel as they and PENTECOST were DOOMED !!

Just as all the Fall from Grace are ACCURSED !!

DAN P

Pentecost was the giving of the Holy spirit, the promise of the Father.

It was a blessing not only to the jews at the time but extended through those who first received it, into all of the world.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

heir

TOL Subscriber

Matthias was chosen by drawing lots. This has always struck me as no way to choose an apostle! Presume the Lord would rig the gambling method? (What next, ask the Lord to change some pebbles into loaded dice?
Casting lots is how they got it done. Check out the OT, some were even referred to as "the LORD’S lot"/"cast before the LORD our God"(see Leviticus 16:1-9 KJV, Joshua 18:1-10 KJV).

Clearly, they sought the Lord on the replacing of Judas in the choosing of Matthias (Acts 1:24-25 KJV). And he was chosen/"numbered with the eleven apostles" so that makes him the 12th. There was no reason for the Lord to appear to the Paul unless there was something else going on that no one else knew about.

By the way, just what did Matthias accomplish?)
He met the qualificationsActs 1:20-23 KJV

oatmeal

Paul was his enemy. That is the reason he choose him as the vessel. Have ever heard and idiot liberal say "consider the source"?

If Saul of Tarsus was God's enemy, he would not have repented. Paul erred out of ignorance, not out of ill will towards God.

I Timothy 1:12-13

And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Another reason Saul of T was chosen was because of his faithfulness to scripture. He misunderstood it, but was faithful to his understanding of it. He needed clarification, and once he had it, he moved quickly on the truth.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The 12 walked with Christ for over three years and judged Israel on twelve thrones after Pentecost.
made up

This is when they will sit on 12 judging the 12 tribes

Matthew 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Peter and the other apostles suffered the same, but Paul had many qualifications for the work which the others did not have, and his ministry was to the saved mainly.
LA so desperately wants to make Paul just like the others, but Paul could not have even been forgiven under the kingdom program (for lack of a better term).

Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Matthew 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

And while the 12 suffered for Israel, Paul suffered for the church, which is His Body.

Colossians 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If Saul of Tarsus was God's enemy, he would not have repented.

Paul was reconciled as an enemy. He was the prototype. He received life when he believed on the road to Damascus. You aren't saying anything.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you. 52 Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers, 53 who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it.”

54 When they heard these things they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, 56 and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”

57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and ran at him with one accord; 58 and they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not charge them with this sin.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

He could not be forgiven (remission of sin) in that life or the next.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Paul was reconciled as an enemy. He was the prototyped. He received life when he believed on the road to Damascus. You aren't saying anything.
Amen! He was not on the "road to repentance" as many of the religious, denominational deceitful workers would have us believe. He was on the road to Damascus doing this:

Acts 9:1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

Acts 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Acts 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Paul was reconciled as an enemy. He was the prototyped. He received life when he believed on the road to Damascus. You aren't saying anything.

Amen! He could not have been forgiven under the kingdom program yet he obtained mercy for this purpose:

1 Timothy 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

1 Timothy 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

The first here is not the first in time.(foremost is not the first)

the pattern was of longsuffering, which the Apostles and prophets before Paul experienced before Paul.

Even Steven suffered before Paul--

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Act 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

oatmeal

Paul was reconciled as an enemy. He was the prototype. He received life when he believed on the road to Damascus. You aren't saying anything.

Chapter and verse?

What you have none?

Your opinions trump God's word?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Amen! He was not on the "road to repentance" as many of the religious, denominational deceitful workers would have us believe. He was on the road to Damascus doing this:

Acts 9:1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

Acts 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Acts 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

Paul being told it was hard for him to kick against the pricks, shows he was struggling in his heart and finally his resistance caved in.

After all he would have heard the testimonies of many who had suffered and died.

LA