Why did we evolve with disbelief?

Grey Oran

Hello TOL'ers!

I've often wondered why common-decent believers believe we evolved with the best adaptations through an unexplained force that somehow dictates what's best for us to help us survive and still be evolved to have thoughts that go against the evolutionary theory.

The fact that I believe there's a God shows... what evolutionary advantage?

And before any theistic evolutionists explain this using the gap theory, it's very flawed.
In order for God to have had six days (apparently not six days) of evolution, he would have to have death in this perfect world of His. But we know man is the cause of the death and suffering, due to Romans 8:22.

Out of curiosity, why would we even evolve with a moral code?

Greg Jennings

Hello TOL'ers!

I've often wondered why common-decent believers believe we evolved with the best adaptations through an unexplained force that somehow dictates what's best for us to help us survive and still be evolved to have thoughts that go against the evolutionary theory.

The fact that I believe there's a God shows... what evolutionary advantage?

And before any theistic evolutionists explain this using the gap theory, it's very flawed.
In order for God to have had six days (apparently not six days) of evolution, he would have to have death in this perfect world of His. But we know man is the cause of the death and suffering, due to Romans 8:22.

Out of curiosity, why would we even evolve with a moral code?
Hello! Good question!

Im afraid the fossil and archaeological evidence does not support naturally moral humans. For close to 100,000 years we lived in tribes that needed to raid and rape other clans in order to gain territory and to find new blood to breed with.

Everything changed with agriculture, and people started settling down into larger communities. Problems inevitably arose among members of the same communities, leading to primitive law codes, such as the famous Hammurabi's Code (due for an eye, tooth for a tooth). We are not natural moral to those we consider other, and this stems from our tribal nature. That being said, humans are very very affectionate and caring toward those we accept as part of our clan

For example, I know many christians in this site that will happily converse with other christians, but if a Muslim comes on here? Let's just say it's not a friendly reception. Bc they are "other" to the christians here

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The question should be "why is belief the normal state for humans?"

Historically, humans have tended to believe in God.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Grey Oran

Hello! Good question!

Im afraid the fossil and archaeological evidence does not support naturally moral humans.

For close to 100,000 years we lived in tribes that needed to raid and rape other clans in order to gain territory and to find new blood to breed with.

Everything changed with agriculture, and people started settling down into larger communities. Problems inevitably arose among members of the same communities, leading to primitive law codes, such as the famous Hammurabi's Code (due for an eye, tooth for a tooth). We are not natural moral to those we consider other, and this stems from our tribal nature. That being said, humans are very very affectionate and caring toward those we accept as part of our clan

Thanks for the reply :)

Now I have a new question. It sounds like you're saying we have natural morality within clans, so what evidence do we have that we weren't moral before 100,000 years ago?

Other than bumping up our clan size, it doesn't sound like agriculture did much.

Grey Oran

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

This is a good question that could go alongside my question about morality.

Greg Jennings

Thanks for the reply :)

Now I have a new question. It sounds like you're saying we have natural morality within clans, so what evidence do we have that we weren't moral before 100,000 years ago?

Other than bumping up our clan size, it doesn't sound like agriculture did much.

No I'm saying that morality has always existed among people who are part of the same clan. Even apes show moral behavior toward those in their group, but violence towards those seen as competition

The 100,000 year thing was just a guesstimate tbh. I think it's actually far older

Stuu

Curious humans have wanted to understand about the origins of what we see around us, and until Darwin many were led to believe that you need a god to explain complexity in biology. But of course you don't need gods at all to explain complexity: gods aren't an explanation of anything. Belief is no longer the 'normal state' for curious humans. Maybe it still is for incurious ones.

Darwinian natural selection, along with stellar evolution, planetary accretion and many other natural processes, gives us the illusion of design. Saul of Tarsus's opinion is no longer relevant.

But I don't need to tell you all this. How do you keep those two parts of your brain from talking to one another?

Stuart

Stuu

The 100,000 year thing was just a guesstimate tbh. I think it's actually far older
The change to an agricultural existence with domestication of animals began about 12,000 years ago.

For some on ToL, that's 2000 years before the creation of the earth!

Stuart

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
But I don't need to tell you all this. How do you keep those two parts of your brain from talking to one another?

I keep showing creationists that faith and reason are not at odds. I don't see how anyone could manage to work it out otherwise.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The Teacher was asked: "Who is my fellow American?"

In reply, the Teacher said:
“A man was going home from work one night, when he was attacked by robbers. They took everything he had, beat him, and left him for dead.

An evangelical conservative happened by, and when he saw the man, thought 'probably a drug deal gone bad', and crossed to the other side of the street. So too, a wealthy businessman who had inherited great wealth, passed by, saw him and said 'An obvious loser. I like winners.' And he, too crossed to the other side of the street.

But an illegal alien, driving home, saw the man. He stopped his truck, got the first aid kit out of his truck box and tended to the man's wounds. He put the man in his truck and drove to an emergency room.

'Does he have insurance?' they asked. 'I don't know', said the illegal alien. 'I have this much from my last job; if it costs more, I will pay for it, if he has no insurance.'

Which of these three do you think was the fellow countryman to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

They replied, 'The one who had mercy on him.'

The Teacher told them. “Go and do likewise.”

The more you read His parables, the more truth you find therein.

Stuu

I keep showing creationists that faith and reason are not at odds. I don't see how anyone could manage to work it out otherwise.
Is it faith and reason that are at opposition? I think it's faith and reality that have a problem.

As Stripe has just been telling me, as long as your assumptions are correct, so must your conclusion be, so if you set premises that include an angry god that will do nasty things to you if you disobey then it won't be difficult to reason that it is a good idea to do whatever it wants. Reason based on faith assumptions is perfectly consistent. But of course reason isn't much without empirical evidence if you want to find out what is really going on.

The two parts of your brain I am curious about are the bit where you appreciate that the highest quality of information comes from scientists trying as hard as they can to disprove ideas while removing as many assumptions as possible, and the part that says revelation of impossible magic based on a whole list of huge assumptions and not subject to any falsification at all, in fact actively protected from it, is perfectly acceptable as personal guidance.

Stuart

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Is it faith and reason that are at opposition? I think it's faith and reality that have a problem.

Never been a problem for me.

As Stripe has just been telling me, as long as your assumptions are correct, so must your conclusion be, so if you set premises that include an angry god that will do nasty things to you if you disobey then it won't be difficult to reason that it is a good idea to do whatever it wants.

My God is a loving and merciful God who is unwilling that anyone be lost.

The two parts of your brain I am curious about are the bit where you appreciate that the highest quality of information comes from scientists trying as hard as they can to disprove ideas while removing as many assumptions as possible, and the part that says revelation of impossible magic based on a whole list of huge assumptions and not subject to any falsification at all, in fact actively protected from it, is perfectly acceptable as personal guidance.

Don't know where you got "impossible magic." Not in my theology. But it is true that science won't answer all your questions. It's just a tool, a methodology that is intentionally limited. I am often unscientific, where it's appropriate.

Stuu

Never been a problem for me.
That doesn't mean it isn't a problem though.

My God is a loving and merciful God who is unwilling that anyone be lost.
So it's worse than I suggested, this presumably invisible and inaudible thing has a will, and actually a will that you can know. By what means do you acquire that knowledge? Why should I believe you about biology, when I can't tell which means of knowledge acquisition you are using at the time. It might be that your god told you all about which species might be the fastest evolvers, and it might have nothing to do with collection and interpretation of empirical evidence. How can you be trusted?

And I don't want to create a strawman argument, so please correct me if I am wrong, but you don't really believe evolution by natural selection is the explanation for the diversity of life on earth. At some point you must believe in a magical intervention, if you are serious about the word 'creation', and some concept of redemption by human sacrifice. Your discussion with YECs here is just an exercise in shifting the location of the magic.

Don't know where you got "impossible magic." Not in my theology. But it is true that science won't answer all your questions. It's just a tool, a methodology that is intentionally limited. I am often unscientific, where it's appropriate.
So I am talking to the magically-thinking part of your brain now, where you haven't allowed yourself to ask biological questions about exactly what a god would do to reverse execution, to repair damaged, oxygen-deprived tissues and restore circulation and the electrical impulses required for the resumption of life. Have you told others here that it is a plain nonsense that a man can be born of only one parent, or alternatively have you considered the difficulties of the shared genetic responsibilities that have both human gametes necessary for placental development? Or perhaps a divine spermatozoa is magically formed without the need for male gonads, which I am sure you don't believe exist in a biological sense. Tell me you don't believe all this impossible magic or else tell me how you can be trusted on science.

The other irresponsible claim for any scientist to perpetrate is the lie that there are different 'magisteria', that there are some questions that are just off-limits for science, sort of like my accusations concerning your compartmentalised brain. If you think the question of the existence of something as fundamental to the operation of the universe as a universal creator is off-limits to science, then science means nothing. This is a convenient way of avoiding investigation of magical thinking, and should be a point of shame for Steven Gould as much as any other perpetrator of it. </rant>

Stuart

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
So it's worse than I suggested, this presumably invisible and inaudible thing has a will, and actually a will that you can know. By what means do you acquire that knowledge?

It's experiential, but not entirely so.

This is why belief is near-universal in humanity. In spite of extraordinary oppression and educational efforts, Marxist regimes have had very little success in destroying that urge to connect with God.

But it's not entirely so. Summa Theologica is a good start, if you really want to know. Being Catholic, I know you aren't necessarily damned just for being an atheist, but it would be good for you to at least take a look.

Why should I believe you about biology

If you know more about it than I do, you shouldn't. Otherwise, you should listen. I don't give Francis Collins any more credence about biology than I give Stephen Gould. As Gould wrote, all that really matters in science is ability.

There is no religious test for science.

when I can't tell which means of knowledge acquisition you are using at the time. It might be that your god told you all about which species might be the fastest evolvers, and it might have nothing to do with collection and interpretation of empirical evidence. How can you be trusted?

If it's a religious thing for you, perhaps you shouldn't.

And I don't want to create a strawman argument, so please correct me if I am wrong, but you don't really believe evolution by natural selection is the explanation for the diversity of life on earth.

Here, you're confusing categories of causes. The efficient cause of the diversity of life on Earth is random mutation and natural selection. The final cause is a Creator who made the universe so that thinks like life would appear and evolve.

At some point you must believe in a magical intervention, if you are serious about the word 'creation', and some concept of redemption by human sacrifice. Your discussion with YECs here is just an exercise in shifting the location of the magic.

You're closer to the truth than you might think. If by "magic" you mean "supernatural", then you're right. The "magic" isn't in God forever stepping in and tinkering with creation; it's in the moment of creation; it was (as some creationists say) "front-loaded" to produce what we see.

And no, that's not a sign that there is no free will or chance in creation. As St. Thomas Aquinas noted,God can use contingency just as easily as He can use necessity in Divine Providence.

So I am talking to the magically-thinking part of your brain now, where you haven't allowed yourself to ask biological questions about exactly what a god would do to reverse execution, to repair damaged, oxygen-deprived tissues and restore circulation and the electrical impulses required for the resumption of life.

I don't know what a surgeon does to repair brains, either.

Have you told others here that it is a plain nonsense that a man can be born of only one parent, or alternatively have you considered the difficulties of the shared genetic responsibilities that have both human gametes necessary for placental development?

It would require a miracle, um? Parthenogeneis, as unlikely as it is, still wouldn't work in this case. If you thought about it, you'd realize why.

Or perhaps a divine spermatozoa is magically formed without the need for male gonads, which I am sure you don't believe exist in a biological sense.

The "image" of God, is not a physical one. We are like Him in being able to know good and evil. God doesn't have legs or a nose, or eyes. He's a spirit, and as Jesus says, a spirit has no body.

Tell me you don't believe all this impossible magic or else tell me how you can be trusted on science.

How can we believe the findings of the Human Genome Project, if Francis Collins is an evangelical Christian? It's precisely because biology does not require faith in the least. Hence people of all faiths, or even no faith at all can do biology.

The other irresponsible claim for any scientist to perpetrate is the lie that there are different 'magisteria', that there are some questions that are just off-limits for science,

Science, by it's very methodology has to be methodologically materialistic. It can neither support nor reject the supernatural. But it can't be ontologically naturalistic;just won't work. The magisteria idea doesn't resonate with me, but it's not far from the truth.

sort of like my accusations concerning your compartmentalised brain. If you think the question of the existence of something as fundamental to the operation of the universe as a universal creator is off-limits to science, then science means nothing.

Which is like saying that if the question of existence of something as fundamental to the behavior of fluid dynamics as a universal creator is off-limits to plumbing, then plumbing means nothing.

It's good for making your plumbing work properly. Likewise, science is good for understanding how the physical universe works. As comprehensive philosophies of all things, neither plumbing nor science work very well.

This is a convenient way of avoiding investigation of magical thinking, and should be a point of shame for Steven Gould as much as any other perpetrator of it.

On this point, I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Stuu

So you believe a zealous Jew from the first century was channelling your god. You work so painstakingly to demonstrate how careful and critical thinking is needed to understand how the natural world works, then you post this in front of the masses? Whence rigour??
This is why belief is near-universal in humanity. In spite of extraordinary oppression and educational efforts, Marxist regimes have had very little success in destroying that urge to connect with God.
And with Putin in charge of Russia, they have both the original Eastern orthodox god and the later god Stalin, who is now making a comeback. There was never a desire to destroy a 'connection with god', just an attempt to divert the attention towards a different 'god' in the form of a cult of personality. Just goes to show, whether you are Stalin or Jesus or Kim Jong-Il, being dead isn't much of a disadvantage.

But anyway, if not Marxism, then what is killing christianity?
But it's not entirely so. Summa Theologica is a good start, if you really want to know. Being Catholic, I know you aren't necessarily damned just for being an atheist, but it would be good for you to at least take a look.
Unbelief is the worst sin, I think it says. Worse than murder, presumably. Not that murder seemed to be much of a problem for the Inquisition. But in Summa Theologica we also have the impressive (for the 13th Century) five 'proofs of god'. Three that involve regressions of causes that are stopped from spiralling out of control to infinity by the assertion of a god with the apparently lone job of stopping regression. A fourth says a god must exist because a perfect version of everything must exist. That includes, in the words of Richard Dawkins, the smelliest of the smelly. Then there is the argument from design, which you yourself argue against here on ToL. It's a document of five fails plus the usual immorality of Catholicism.
I don't give Francis Collins any more credence about biology than I give Stephen Gould. As Gould wrote, all that really matters in science is ability.
Well yes, the only credence should be given to unambiguous empirical evidence.
There is no religious test for science.
I don't know a religion with the guts to go into the business of testing. Religions try to claim they live within a magisterium that is exempt from being subjected to testing. That claim is never justified, except by special pleading and magical claims.
If it's a religious thing for you, perhaps you shouldn't.
It's not about me. I don't keep a pantheon of imaginary friends who tell me what they want.
Here, you're confusing categories of causes. The efficient cause of the diversity of life on Earth is random mutation and natural selection. The final cause is a Creator who made the universe so that thinks like life would appear and evolve.
But your creator always intended to make humans, right? So, you don't believe natural selection is the cause of the appearance of our species, because natural selection doesn't have the foresight required by that dogma.
You're closer to the truth than you might think. If by "magic" you mean "supernatural", then you're right. The "magic" isn't in God forever stepping in and tinkering with creation; it's in the moment of creation; it was (as some creationists say) "front-loaded" to produce what we see.
Right, so random genetic mutation has barely got anything to do with it. Maybe whenever you mention mutation you should write '(magical preloading)' after it.
And no, that's not a sign that there is no free will or chance in creation. As St. Thomas Aquinas noted,God can use contingency just as easily as He can use necessity in Divine Providence.
Wow, different kinds of magic.
I don't know what a surgeon does to repair brains, either.
Catholicism sounds like a celebration of ignorance.
It would require a miracle, um? Parthenogeneis, as unlikely as it is, still wouldn't work in this case. If you thought about it, you'd realize why.
I thought that's what I said.
The "image" of God, is not a physical one. We are like Him in being able to know good and evil. God doesn't have legs or a nose, or eyes. He's a spirit, and as Jesus says, a spirit has no body.
And, presumably, no testes either.

Stuu: Tell me you don't believe all this impossible magic or else tell me how you can be trusted on science.
How can we believe the findings of the Human Genome Project, if Francis Collins is an evangelical Christian? It's precisely because biology does not require faith in the least. Hence people of all faiths, or even no faith at all can do biology.
But we aren't talking about Francis Collins, we are talking about you upholding biology against a tide of zombie-like creationism here on ToL. You are an authority in the sense that the people with whom you communicate are in many ways ignorant, and you are probably going to be the one access point they have for real science. How can you be trusted on science? You don't believe in Darwinian evolution by natural selection from natural genetic variation, you believe in providence or contingency working on or through front-loaded mechanisms. Maybe there is someone else here who can be trusted on real biology, not fantasy Catholic biology.
Science, by it's very methodology has to be methodologically materialistic. It can neither support nor reject the supernatural. But it can't be ontologically naturalistic;just won't work. The magisteria idea doesn't resonate with me, but it's not far from the truth.
That's just special pleading using impressive words. There is no principle in science that puts anything off-limits. Empirical evidence is the key: that is anything you can glean by your senses or extensions of them, like telescopes and electron microscopes.

If divine action can't be detected by senses, then how can we know it exists, or indeed what the god wants? If it can be detected then the empirical evidence from observations should be scrutinised intensely. Well, of course this 'empirical evidence' does get scrutinised. Meta-analysis of studies of intercessory prayer show that it makes no difference. The rates of spontaneous remission from cancer are higher in the general population than in the population of cancer sufferers who visited Lourdes. The human brain is demonstrably very poor at distinguishing situations where agency is at work from those where it is not.
Which is like saying that if the question of existence of something as fundamental to the behavior of fluid dynamics as a universal creator is off-limits to plumbing, then plumbing means nothing.
I never thought of plumbing as an epistemological method. But well, each to their own.
It's good for making your plumbing work properly. Likewise, science is good for understanding how the physical universe works. As comprehensive philosophies of all things, neither plumbing nor science work very well.
What is a comprehensive philosophy of all things? Why should anyone want whatever that is? Why are you so keen to deny the applicability of the scientific method to investigating 'the supernatural'? Because someone told you that it rejects that specifically? That would be convenient. What actually IS the supernatural? Can you define it? If you can't define what it is, how will you know when to tell science to step aside?
On this point, I'll have to respectfully disagree.
Don't get me wrong on Steven Gould. Obviously there are very few things on which he and I would have disagreed! But I think it is likely that he knew the religious will fiercely and irrationally protect the nonsense they believe, but that was not a political fight he wanted to take on in the country of the most extreme in right wing fascist Catholicism, ingrained fundamentalism, and all the other wacky variants of god alleles imported to the US mainland over the past few centuries.

Stuart