Who do you love?

theophilus

In the latest "Tabletalk" published by Ligonier Ministries (April 2016) the theme of this month's issue is Islam. There's a line from one of the articles that jumped off the page:

"You can never really love somebody whom you fear will finally reject you."

The article was speaking about the "deficits" in Islam and how Muslims can never know they will make it to Paradise because they will never know if they have done enough good works to make it; they can never love Allah if they fear he will reject them from Paradise at the end of their lives.

I think this is true of many other false religions as well as Islam and I think it is something many professing Christians should think through carefully , especially if they are motivated by any degree of legalism. I also think it might affect one's sense of assurance.

In conversations past I have know people who live somewhere between Matt. 7:21-23 and John 6:37. The bible says in Rom 8:16-17 that we can KNOW.

If I am (wrongfully) fearful of my heavenly Father will I love Him as much as I should or can? Probably not...and that would be a slippery slope for presumptuous and willful sin, insecurity and doubt. If I am reverentially fearful of my heavenly Father I have a book full of promises, the capstones being Heb. 4:16 and 1 John 4:18, which work in me courage and boldness, assurance and security.

Still, sometimes it's really hard to be "fearless."

:)