when "thinking for myself" may not be such a good thing

republicanchick

it is good to question things, even many things, especially things that don't seem to "work for" you or whatever.

But when you think for yourself "too much" there are problems.

an example:

you think the church you belong to is too "rigid" or "legalistic" or whatever

so you go out on your own, and disobey their rules about (fill in the blanks)

well, a lot of the time, you find out rather quickly that maybe that church was right after all... maybe you don't REaLLY find out, though... until you have made a mess of your life and maybe the lives of those u love (?)

so much for "thinking for myself"

+

republicanchick

here is a list of things i often question:

• why some in Congress call themselves Republican, yet vote like a D

nothing wrong w/ questioning THAT, eh?

* how it is some posters think they are thinking for themselves when really they are just spoutating and regurgitating anti-Catholic bigotry brought to them by anti-Catholic preachers and anti-Catholic "book" writers and tract writers like Jack Chick

so much for thinking for youself

such posters should say they are "thinking for [themselves] as long as said thoughts are in conformity with Jack Chick's"

+

quip

BANNED
Banned
it is good to question things, even many things, especially things that don't seem to "work for" you or whatever.

But when you think for yourself "too much" there are problems.

an example:

you think the church you belong to is too "rigid" or "legalistic" or whatever

so you go out on your own, and disobey their rules about (fill in the blanks)

well, a lot of the time, you find out rather quickly that maybe that church was right after all... maybe you don't REaLLY find out, though... until you have made a mess of your life and maybe the lives of those u love (?)

so much for "thinking for myself"

+

You've done nothing of the sort.

Thinking for oneself involves freeing thyself from the tether you call religious dogma.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
God gave you a mind to think. You're no different than the follower of any other religion if you just accept it without reason.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
God gave you a mind to think. You're no different than the follower of any other religion if you just accept it without reason.

this from someone who rejects Catholic teaching yet calls him(her)self Catholic

You reject the Magisterium of the Church, and I accept it. That's all there is to say about that. The great Christian theologians of the Church have always emphasized the role of reason in our faith. From Augustine to Aquinas, the Church has taught that fideism is an error; reason must be part of our faith.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06068b.htm

And this is why you cannot accept the Church's teachings.