When The Going Get's Tough?

bybee

It is a trying thing to have a fiery temper. It ought only be employed to fight the good fight. But, mine gets away from me sometimes and then, the good that I would do is undermined.
There are posters on TOL who seem intent on besmirching the name of those with whom they take issue.
When one feels strongly about an "issue" one may make a determined and aggressive stand in good faith and still remain within the bounds of proper and seemly debate.
I commend those of you who never go outside the boundaries of propriety. I take you as role models.

What I am attempting to do with myself is to remember that those who have chronically shown themselves to engage in pejorative ad hominim's and ruthless low blows are not going to change.
It does appear that the management here not only allows these posters free rein but also encourages their behavior.
I must remember that also.
I may be banned for speaking my mind.
I have asked, in a fit of anger, to be removed from the board. I apologize for the anger behavior. It serves no good purpose.
It seems a losing battle to attempt to fight the good fight here which has always been my goal.
This is a Christian forum. It is the historical airing of Christian wisdom by many knowledgeable and spiritual folks on this forum which has had me returning for lo these many years.
Also, the many dear friendships which have been forged over the days, months and years of sharing our thoughts, our joys and our sorrows has been an immense blessing for me.
I guess I'm not able to change much either. To my friends, blessings.
To the rest of you? Phhhhhhttttt!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
searched on "when the going gets tough"

found this:
Spoiler
MmWawgj.jpg

fzappa13

It is a trying thing to have a fiery temper. It ought only be employed to fight the good fight. But, mine gets away from me sometimes and then, the good that I would do is undermined.
There are posters on TOL who seem intent on besmirching the name of those with whom they take issue.
When one feels strongly about an "issue" one may make a determined and aggressive stand in good faith and still remain within the bounds of proper and seemly debate.
I commend those of you who never go outside the boundaries of propriety. I take you as role models.

What I am attempting to do with myself is to remember that those who have chronically shown themselves to engage in pejorative ad hominim's and ruthless low blows are not going to change.
It does appear that the management here not only allows these posters free rein but also encourages their behavior.
I have asked, in a fit of anger, to be removed from the board. I apologize for the anger behavior. It serves no good purpose.
It seems a losing battle to attempt to fight the good fight here which has always been my goal.
This is a Christian forum. It is the historical airing of Christian wisdom by many knowledgeable and spiritual folks on this forum which has had me returning for lo these many years.
Also, the many dear friendships which have been forged over the days, months and years of sharing our thoughts, our joys and our sorrows has been an immense blessing for me.

The ignore function helps but it is not a panacea. Such folks can and do disrupt threads for their own purposes. The internet allows such folk a unique opportunity that didn't previously exist. There is still God who will hold us to account for every idle word and I think such folk bear witness to the fact they don't believe that and that this inturn bears witness of their faith ... or the lack thereof.

bybee

The ignore function helps but it is not a panacea. Such folks can and do disrupt threads for their own purposes. The internet allows such folk a unique opportunity that didn't previously exist. There is still God who will hold us to account for every idle word and I think such folk bear witness to the fact they don't believe that and that this inturn bears witness of their faith ... or the lack thereof.

Good points.

PureX

You probably have a more positive effect than you realize. And I'm happy you're still here.

For myself, I have been slowly learning that there is no point in trying to argue with people who are working at being stupid. It's a waste of time and energy. So I'm getting better at recognizing when that's happening, and just disengaging from it. They can have the last insult, or "point", or whatever it is they think they're doing. I don't much care, anymore.

Here's a great quote for you:

"arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon … No matter how good you are, the bird is just going to crap on the board and strut around like it won, anyway."

And nowhere is this more true than on these TOL discussion boards. So I let the pigeons be what they are, and do what they do, and I don't expect to change them. They won't understand a thing I say, anyway.

So I save my energy for the many folks here who CAN understand me, and who ARE willing and able to engage in interesting conversation and debate. Because those folks I can learn from, and I can feel that I may be able to offer something of use to them in return (though, that's up to them).

I really only come here to share my mind with others, and to receive the benefit of their thinking, in return. If they have nothing to offer me, and no interest in what I can offer them, then what's the point of engaging with them?

I think you and anna and some other forks here need to learn to let the pigeons be; they'll crap on the board and strut around like they won something, and waste their lives on their own egocentric sicknesses. That's their choice. And you can't change it. But you can stop wasting your time and energy on it, so that it won't aggravate you so much, and frustrate you.

Sometimes the best way to loosen a stuck bolt is to have a cup of coffee.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned"

Eric h

Take some time to pray a blessing for that poster, wait a couple of hours, or a day and reply with something kind.

You can't change other people, you can only strive to change yourself.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Take some time to pray a blessing for that poster, wait a couple of hours, or a day and reply with something kind.

You can't change other people, you can only strive to change yourself.

It is hard for many of us because of our pride.
I pray for pure heart in everything I do.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You probably have a more positive effect than you realize. And I'm happy you're still here.

I'm happy you're both here. :)

For myself, I have been slowly learning that there is no point in trying to argue with people who are working at being stupid. It's a waste of time and energy. So I'm getting better at recognizing when that's happening, and just disengaging from it. They can have the last insult, or "point", or whatever it is they think they're doing. I don't much care, anymore.

I understand that too, and yet, I still come back to the thought that I have to speak up.

"arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon … No matter how good you are, the bird is just going to crap on the board and strut around like it won, anyway."

:chuckle: That's great. So true.

And nowhere is this more true than on these TOL discussion boards. So I let the pigeons be what they are, and do what they do, and I don't expect to change them. They won't understand a thing I say, anyway.

So I save my energy for the many folks here who CAN understand me, and who ARE willing and able to engage in interesting conversation and debate. Because those folks I can learn from, and I can feel that I may be able to offer something of use to them in return (though, that's up to them).

I really only come here to share my mind with others, and to receive the benefit of their thinking, in return. If they have nothing to offer me, and no interest in what I can offer them, then what's the point of engaging with them?

I think you and anna and some other forks here need to learn to let the pigeons be; they'll crap on the board and strut around like they won something, and waste their lives on their own egocentric sicknesses. That's their choice. And you can't change it. But you can stop wasting your time and energy on it, so that it won't aggravate you so much, and frustrate you.

Sometimes the best way to loosen a stuck bolt is to have a cup of coffee.

Thanks for taking the time to write that, PureX. I needed to read it. Have a good day today. :)