ECT What is the purpose of temptation?

nikolai_42

Why does God allow it __even when we pray for Him to not lead us into it?

Very simple (the answer, that is...not the experience) :

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

James 1:2-4

nikolai_42

Scary stuff.

But I strongly suspect CR wouldn't have much place for such antics either. From my interactions with him, he seems closer to the old Holiness Pentecostal school. Many of them - while they believed in the necessity of a separate (Holy Spirit) baptism after conversion - would have disavowed the necessity to speak in tongues or some other charismatic expression as evidence of such a baptism.

I could be wrong, but I believe CR falls into that general category - though I wouldn't say he necessarily had anything to do with a Holiness Pentecostal church.

Livelystone

I am not going to defend Benny Hinn....... After all he believes in the rapture of the church off of the earth that is one of Satan's most successful tricks ever pulled off on the church............ For sure not any worse than the doctrine of MAD. :duh:

However, you posting a video with make believe graphics of star wars type swords appearing in the hands of persons who are no more confused about the things of God than you are......... is enough to make anyone wonder if you are the kettle or the pot?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Scary Many of them - while they believed in the necessity of a separate (Holy Spirit) baptism after conversion - would have disavowed the necessity to speak in tongues or some other charismatic expression as evidence of such a baptism.

There is only one baptism today. Therefore, that excludes them from any truth in their claims. You believe that pervert, or you believe the Holy Bible. There is no in between.

Cross Reference

There is only one baptism today. Therefore, that excludes them from any truth in their claims. You believe that pervert, or you believe the Holy Bible. There is no in between.

Seems you have some accusations you can't support with knowledge. How 'bout backing up your untoward opinion with the facts of the scripture you say you believe in. For instance, Jesus Christ is the almighty baptizer with/in the Holy Spirit. His Baptism had its inauguration on the day of Pentecost. The scriptures teach that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. Question: Do you believe those three things about Him without equivocation?
Do believe sufficiently those three inseparable things about Jesus Christ that you can honestly say they are, at a minimum, the foundation of your Christian faith? I don't think so, however, you can set me straight about my opinion of you with a simple yes or no that I might be able to adjust my believing for what is your error/lack of cognizance about such foundational issues that you ignore what you say you believe.

nikolai_42

So Acts 19 is "rebaptism"? Why is it that the disciples didn't receive the Holy Spirit until Paul laid his hands on them (i.e. not by water) in Acts 19:6?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seems you have some accusations you can't support with knowledge.

Ephesians 4

4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Believers are immersed (baptized) into Christ by the Holy Spirit. That is the one baptism that Paul speaks of. The others are of Israel and Jacob's trouble.

OCTOBER23

CROSSREF,

IF YOU RIGHT HAND OFFENDS YOU - CUT IT OFF.

Matthew 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
---------------------
TEMPTATION is there for you to build RESISTANCE TO SIN AND GODLY CHARACTER LIKE JESUS DID.

SATAN FAILED THAT TEST AND WANTED HIS OWN WAY

GOD CANNOT CONVERT SATAN BUT HE CAN CONVERT US LITTLE DEVILS.

Cross Reference

Ephesians 4

4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Believers are immersed (baptized) into Christ by the Holy Spirit. That is the one baptism that Paul speaks of. The others are of Israel and Jacob's trouble.

You are ignorant of what you posit, foul mouth. Throw away your commentaries and seek Christ to know Him while you are still able.

oatmeal

Why does God allow it __even when we pray for Him to not lead us into it?

Temptations, not coming from God, are something that we can pray that God not lead us into.

God would not lead us into temptation simply to allow us to be tempted, however, God could lead into a situation that is profitable to God and others and yourself where temptations are possible.

Since it would seem that you pray that God not lead you into temptation, I will presume that God is not leading you into temptation.

He could be leading you into situations where you can help. But it is your job to use the escape routes God provides to get you out of tempting situations. I Corinthians 10:13

You don't have to go anywhere for the tempter to set up a temptation. You could be reading your Bible at home and he could set a temptation to draw you away from what you should be learning. He is quite clever that way

oatmeal

On Topic:

So, what is the purpose and importance of temptation for God to allow it?

God allows it, but it does not come from Him.

You have been redeemed from the hand of the enemy. But that does not mean that the enemy will leave you alone

He can still shoot his fiery darts at you