ECT Water baptism commanded for the BoC?

heir

TOL Subscriber
I keep seeing people claim that water baptism is commanded for members of the Body of Christ, but they never back up that statement with scripture.

Paul is the apostle of the Gentiles (Romans 11:13 KJV). We're to follow him (1 Corinthians 4:15-16 KJV). And if he wrote to us the commandment of the Lord (1 Corinthians 14:37 KJV) to be water baptized in the form of sound words (2 Timothy 1:13 KJV) of Romans through Philemon they'll have no problem coming up with some scripture in there that proves it.

I submit that while here are many baptisms in the Bible, there is only one baptism today and it is by one Spirit into one Body (the Spirit is the baptizer!).

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

When one trusts the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) they are baptized by one Spirit in to one Body (1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV).

It is a baptism (identification) into Christ's death,

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

It's a Spirit baptism into Christ,

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

It is the one baptism of Ephesians 4 that we are to endevour to keep.

Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

OCTOBER23

To Heir, it's Humanly apparent that

Baptism just washes away your PAST SINS

and from there on you are on your own as far as resisting sins

and praying to God for forgiveness when you sin .

Ac 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour,
for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Ro 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Mr 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
Mr 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness,
but is in danger of eternal damnation:

Jas 5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray.
14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

Jas 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up;

and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
------------------------------------------------------------

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Baptism just washes away your PAST SINS

and from there on you are on your own as far as resisting sins

and praying to God for forgiveness when you sin .

Ac 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour,
for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Ro 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Mr 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness,
but is in danger of eternal damnation:

When the Holy Spirit "Baptizes" someone into the Body of Christ,
ALL of their sins; past, present, and future sins are forgiven and
the "Righteousness of Christ" becomes their own!

OCTOBER23

GROSSNICK,

VERSES Please??............examples such as ......

Eze 18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed,

and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right,

he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Eze 33:16 None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him:

he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.

oatmeal

I keep seeing people claim that water baptism is commanded for members of the Body of Christ, but they never back up that statement with scripture.

Paul is the apostle of the Gentiles (Romans 11:13 KJV). We're to follow him (1 Corinthians 4:15-16 KJV). And if he wrote to us the commandment of the Lord (1 Corinthians 14:37 KJV) to be water baptized in the form of sound words (2 Timothy 1:13 KJV) of Romans through Philemon they'll have no problem coming up with some scripture in there that proves it.

I submit that while here are many baptisms in the Bible, there is only one baptism today and it is by one Spirit into one Body (the Spirit is the baptizer!).

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

When one trusts the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) they are baptized by one Spirit in to one Body (1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV).

It is a baptism (identification) into Christ's death,

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

It's a Spirit baptism into Christ,

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

It is the one baptism of Ephesians 4 that we are to endevour to keep.

Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Acts 1:4-5 make it perfectly clear that doctrinally, water baptism was to be replaced by something greater.

Of course, simply because Jesus said so, doesn't mean everyone learned this, or understood it, or believed it when they heard it.

Thus we see the Ethiopian eunuch requesting to be water baptized, and Philip complying.

It is not clear, but the record may indicate that Philip knew water baptism was not necessary, but did it anyway.

Acts 8:37

Water baptism of itself does no harm but if is taught that it is the way to receive salvation (instead of Romans 10:9-10) salvation will not be received. Thus it could deceiving to continue to water baptize even though at one time, John's baptism was doctrinally correct.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Act 10:42 And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead.
Act 10:43 To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins."
Act 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
Act 10:45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered,
Act 10:47 "Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
Then they asked him to stay a few days.

Act 22:14 Then he said, 'The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth.
Act 22:15 For you will be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard.
Act 22:16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.'

Act 19:1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples
Act 19:2 he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, "We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."
Act 19:3 And he said to them, "Into what then were you baptized?" So they said, "Into John's baptism."
Act 19:4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

LA

oatmeal

Act 10:42 And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead.
Act 10:43 To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins."
Act 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
Act 10:45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered,
Act 10:47 "Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"

Act 22:14 Then he said, 'The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth.
Act 22:15 For you will be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard.
Act 22:16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.'

Act 19:1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples
Act 19:2 he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, "We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."
Act 19:3 And he said to them, "Into what then were you baptized?" So they said, "Into John's baptism."
Act 19:4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

LA

LA,

Peter recounted the events he adds some information that was not in Acts 10

Acts 11:16

Peter remembered what Jesus spoke in Acts 1:5

Water is out, spirit is in.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
LA,

Peter recounted the events he adds some information that was not in Acts 10

Acts 11:16

Peter remembered what Jesus spoke in Acts 1:5

Water is out, spirit is in.

Both water and Spirit have always been in.

John's baptism in water of Jesus was not a baptism of repentance.

Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

LA

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
GROSSNICK,

VERSES Please??............examples such as ......

Eze 18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed,

and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right,

he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Eze 33:16 None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him:

he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.

I have to be honest with ya, I don't really "like" you! And, I think
you're odd! Just being honest! There's a few others I don't like
around here, as well! There are quite a lot of others, that I do
like! You just happen to be one that I don't like!

heir

TOL Subscriber

LA
Check the underlined in the OP and try again. And please lay off old yeller.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Check the underlined in the OP and try again. And please lay off old yeller.

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
That has nothing to do with this thread or dispensation. Answer the OP or go away.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Both water and Spirit have always been in.

John's baptism in water of Jesus was not a baptism of repentance.

Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

LA
The Lord's baptism was a one of a kind. None of that has anything to do with the OP. Address the OP or go bye bye from this thread. You choose.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Act 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Same as with the Samarians--

Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Same as the 3000--

Act 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

LA