ECT Understanding the value of Jesus' sacrifice

eustilou

Hello, I have a few questions about the sacrifice of Jesus:

What does it mean that God "gave" Jesus? (John 3:16) It appears more like God lent Jesus for 33 years and then He returned to the Father.

If I buy something precious with a diamond, and the seller smashes the diamond into pieces, then I take those smashed pieces and put them back together restoring the diamond as it was before... and I keep the diamond, what price did I pay for my purchase?

What is the permanency of Jesus' sacrifice? For God to have "given" something, it must have cost Him something... to lose something He doesn't have anymore.

What did it cost God to purchase us?

1 Corinthians 6:20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
1 Corinthians 7:23 You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.

What is the value of suffering for 3 hours on a cross or being dead for 3 days in light of eternity? 3 hours or 3 days of suffering/death is infinitely negligible relative to eternity. Is it not so? What is missing from my understanding?

Scripture tells us the currency of the transaction happened with blood.

Acts 20:28 ... shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
Revelation 5:9 ...You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.

We also know the blood is precious.

1 Peter 1:18-19 ... you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ

It seems like most in the church don't appreciate much the value of the blood. We take the gospel too lightly because we don't properly appreciate the weight of Jesus' sacrifice.
What value does the shed blood have if Jesus is alive in heaven with the Father?
What is the permanency of the sacrifice? What was sacrificed? What was lost? What was given up?
To sacrifice means to give something you will not have anymore.
If you receive back what you gave, what sacrifice is that?

Sheila B

1.)What value does the shed blood have if Jesus is alive in heaven with the Father?
2.) What is the permanency of the sacrifice?
3.) What was sacrificed?
4.) What was lost?
5.) What was given up?

Hi eustilou, welcome to tol! I hope you don't mind, I put numbers to your questions to keep them straight.

1.)and 2.) and 3.)
The shed Blood is being eternally offered to the Father on behalf of humanity until the end of the Age.
Jesus is "a minister in the sanctuary and the true tent" Heb 8:2
He lives to make intercession- He is a mediator between God and man. He offers/sprinkles His Precious Blood in the true Holy of Holies on high.

"But you have come to Mt Zion . . ." (present tense!!) Heb 12:22
". . .and to the sprinkled blood which speaks more eloquently than the blood of Abel." Heb 12:24

4.) and 5.)
The losses are temporary but that does not take away that it is a great sacrifice.
Jesus gave up his glory ". . .to behold my glory which Thou hast given me in Thy love for me before the foundation of the world."
John 17:5, 24

Not being able to express His divinity for 33 years is a loss and a sacrifice.
Being rejected and despised, the whole passion of the Christ, was the sacrifice.
He gave all this freely because of Love, for God and man.

meshak

BANNED
Banned

What does it mean that God "gave" Jesus? (John 3:16) It appears more like God lent Jesus for 33 years and then He returned to the Father.

If I buy something precious with a diamond, and the seller smashes the diamond into pieces, then I take those smashed pieces and put them back together restoring the diamond as it was before... and I keep the diamond, what price did I pay for my purchase?

What is the permanency of Jesus' sacrifice? For God to have "given" something, it must have cost Him something... to lose something He doesn't have anymore.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

What is the value of suffering for 3 hours on a cross or being dead for 3 days in light of eternity? 3 hours or 3 days of suffering/death is infinitely negligible relative to eternity. Is it not so? What is missing from my understanding?

Acts 20:28 ... shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
Revelation 5:9 ...You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.

1 Peter 1:18-19 ... you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ

It seems like most in the church don't appreciate much the value of the blood. We take the gospel too lightly because we don't properly appreciate the weight of Jesus' sacrifice.
What value does the shed blood have if Jesus is alive in heaven with the Father?
What is the permanency of the sacrifice? What was sacrificed? What was lost? What was given up?

This is for sure:

Jesus did not die so that you can stay sinful and wicked selves which most of you want to believe.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

It is God's way of sacrifice....you always get back MORE than you give.

Unless a grain of seed fall into the ground and die it bideth alone but if it does die it bringeth forth much fruit.

What does God get in return? He gets us, we are the fruit of His sacrifice. We get Him in return for our old lives...so we got the better deal.

eustilou

I'd like to express my appreciation to all who are taking the time to respond.
Your replies are helpful.

I've realized recently that I know the gospel, but I don't understand it very well, hence I don't appreciate Christ's sacrifice as much as I should.

I have no intention of justifying a sinful/wicked life.
My pursuit is holiness.

eustilou

The shed Blood is being eternally offered to the Father on behalf of humanity until the end of the Age.
Jesus is "a minister in the sanctuary and the true tent" Heb 8:2
He lives to make intercession- He is a mediator between God and man. He offers/sprinkles His Precious Blood in the true Holy of Holies on high.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply

Hmm... I never thought that by intercession He is continually sprinkling blood.
I always thought the atonement happened once.

Hebrews 7:27
27 who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Hebrews 9:12
12 and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
eu,

Are you here to learn about Christianity?

You can learn directly from Jesus. Why do you try to learn from other Christians? You are no any less than anyone else here.

Jesus teaches us what Christianity is all about simply and clearly in His messages.

It is not complicated at all.

when you ask people you will get all kinds of explanations, complicating His simple word.

Don't get second opinions about Jesus and His messages.

blessings.

eustilou

eu,

Are you here to learn about Christianity?

You can learn directly from Jesus. Why do you try to learn from other Christians? You are no any less than anyone else here.

Jesus teaches us what Christianity is all about simply and clearly in His messages.

It is not complicated at all.

when you ask people you will get all kinds of explanations, complicating His simple word.

Don't get second opinions about Jesus and His messages.

blessings.

My take is that we're different members of the same body and having fellowship over such topics strengthens me.

It also has to do with walking in the light and not being a lone christian.

By asking these questions, I am revealing to other members of the body what is on my heart (walking in the light)...

I need to have fellowship with other members of the body at this level, and this seems like a good place.

Hearing others' perspectives never complicated things for me. The Holy Spirit can show me what to take in and what to leave aside.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
My take is that we're different members of the same body and having fellowship over such topics strengthens me.

It also has to do with walking in the light and not being a lone christian.

By asking these questions, I am revealing to other members of the body what is on my heart (walking in the light)...

I need to have fellowship with other members of the body at this level, and this seems like a good place.

Hearing others' perspectives never complicated things for me. The Holy Spirit can show me what to take in and what to leave aside.

You seem to be very naïve believing you can learn true Christianity at the forums.

Don't you have your own church to fellowship with?

Do you see God's power in the churches?

eustilou

You seem to be very naïve believing you can learn true Christianity at the forums.

I may be. I prefer to see myself as hopelessly hopeful... or as Abraham who hoped against hope.

Don't you have your own church to fellowship with?

I do go to church, but I can't say that I connect with people there at the level I need to, so I guess I'm not having heart level fellowship.

After looking at all the churches in my area, this is the best I could find.

Do you see God's power in the churches?

Unfortunately, no. At least not the ones in my area.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Unfortunately, no. At least not the ones in my area.

this forum is reflection of most churches. There is no God's power.

do you know that the most churches are not interested in to be true to Jesus' teachings? That's why there is no God's power in them.

You need to look around with open eyes. If you close your eyes off wicked deeds, you are sharing the same guilt.

Jesus expects you to aim to be godly like Jesus.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
this forum is reflection of most churches. There is no God's power.

You are on it.

do you know that the most churches are not interested in to be true to Jesus' teachings? That's why there is no God's power in them.

How many do you know?

You need to look around with open eyes. If you close your eyes off wicked deeds, you are sharing the same guilt.

Rom 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Jesus expects you to aim to be godly like Jesus.

Mat 19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
Mat 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

LA

meshak

BANNED
Banned
You are on it.

How many do you know?

I am not blind like most of you. God is not in most churches because they don't honor Jesus' word. They rely on heavily Paul's teachings and you are very one of them.

You are one of those typical disgraceful churchgoers with gimmicky doctrine..

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I am not blind like most of you. God is not in most churches because they don't honor Jesus' word. They rely on heavily Paul's teachings and you are very one of them.

go away meshak, EVERY post you make is negative, judgemental, accusing, and hateful. can you find ANY common ground with ANYONE, any agreement at all. everyone else is wrong, and you are the only one with understanding ? unreal - :shut: - please

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

How many churches do you know?

Paul taught the same as the Apostles and Jesus Christ.

Paul was a teacher to the saved .

If You can not hear Paul then you cannot hear Christ.

Lying about me will not help you.

LA

meshak

BANNED
Banned
How many churches do you know?

I know more than most of you.

I have joined several major denominations and served faithfully when I was a new believer.

I was very wide open to see what is going on. I did not have any preconceived notion of Christianity.

I wanted to be true to Jesus in my serving God.

It seems you are not open to see the truth, obviously.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
LA,

You don't have to attend the whole churches to know what is going on. I saw similar traits in all of them.

They were not trying to be faithful to Jesus and His teachings. This is their common denominator of all of them.

This is organizational thing.

Jesus says to "come out of Babylon." I know what Jesus is saying here. He is saying to come out of corrupt churches. And you won't be able to see the corrupt churches.

Jesus tells us to be perfect. If you are in the corrupt church, it is impossible to be perfect.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I know more than most of you.

I have joined several major denominations and served faithfully when I was a new believer.

I was very wide open to see what is going on. I did not have any preconceived notion of Christianity.

I wanted to be true to Jesus in my serving God.

It seems you are not open to see the truth, obviously.

we realize you may struggle with english, and choose the wrong words sometimes. we still love you, luvshak :sigh: