ECT Two Sabbaths

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I am not overlooking anything. You are overlooking the Hebraism, an idiomatic use of "three days and three nights" as I explained above.

On the idiomatic expression, for example see:

"a day and a night are an Onah [portion of time] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole part of it" (Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, Jerusalem Talmud: Shabbat 9:3). (c. 100 A.D.)

In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the first of the seven days of mourning; a short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though of the first day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day. Again, a man who hears of a vow made by his wife or his daughter, and desires to cancel the vow, must do so on the same day on which he hears of it, as otherwise the protest has no effect; even if the hearing takes place a little time before night, the annulment must be done within that little time. The day is reckoned from evening to evening—i.e., night and day—except in reference to sacrifices, where daytime and the night following constitute one day (Lev. vii. 15; see Calendar). (Jewish Encyclopedia/ Day)

Augustine says (De Trin. iv): "There were thirty-six hours from the evening of His burial to the dawn of the resurrection, that is, a whole night with a whole day, and a whole night." (Catholic Encycloprdia/ Summa Theologica > Third Part > Question 51)​

Jesus said he would be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights. (Matthew 12:40)

Now the question becomes does God reckon time by Jewish idioms or Catholic doctrine? If so then he must abide by man's reckoning with regard to parts of three days or the Catholic doctrine of thirty-six hours.

On the other hand, what if we take Jesus' words literally with regard to the sign of Jonah?

The expression "three days" occurs 61 times in the KJV. The expression "three days and three night" occurs 3 times in the KJV.

Jesus could have said he would be in the earth three days, but he didn't. Jesus was much more specific. Why? Was it because he would be entombed for a specific period of time or was he entombed for an undefined period of time according to Jewish idioms?

The problem with the part of a day theory and the Catholic thirty-six hour theory is that neither allows for two Sabbaths.

Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Salome bought spices that they might come and anoint Him. (Mark 16:1 NKJV)

What Sabbath?

Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken and that they might be taken away. (John 19:31 NKJV)​

That Sabbath was a High Day, an annual Sabbath.

So when the annual Sabbath passed the women bought spices so that they might anoint the body.

Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.
(Luke 23:56 NKJV)​

After the annual Sabbath the women bought spices, prepared their spices and then rested on the weekly Sabbath.

There were two Sabbaths which doesn't fit within a Jewish three day idiom or the Catholics' thirty-six hour theory.

Why can't the sign of Jonah be true? Jesus' sign allows for the two Sabbaths.

S

sermonindex

I believe it was pretty conclusive in the early Church apostles that the Lord's Day (sunday) Jesus Christ rose again.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe it was pretty conclusive in the early Church apostles that the Lord's Day (sunday) Jesus Christ rose again.

Jesus was raised on the first day of the week following the Sabbath during Unleavened Bread. Jesus fulfilled the wave sheaf of Leviticus 23:11.

He shall wave the sheaf before the LORD to be accepted on your behalf, on the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it. (Leviticus 23:11 NKJV)​

keypurr

The first Christian churches met on the Sabbath, seventh day.

Christ is Lord of the Sabbath, not Sunday. The RCC changed that in or around 325 AD.

Christians should honor the Seventh day as it is a commandment from the creator. Jesus said it will always be the seventh day. Follow whom you wish.

keypurr

Jamie from what I have heard I believe that you are right. There was two Sabbaths that week. He might have gone to the cross on Thursday.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
But Jesus did. He created it for mankind as a gift.

Yes. the the old Law, but it is not by law the Body of Christ is given Grace.

Why did Jesus tell Peter to build His church if the old one was sufficient? Why did Jesus speak to Paul?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Maybe they should. After all they are not suppose to sin.
Is not sin transgression of the Law?

Do you live under the Law, or are you saved by the blood of Christ? Where do you stand? The earthly Kingdom?

Fine is you are a Jew, if not, then you are confused.

keypurr

Do you live under the Law, or are you saved by the blood of Christ? Where do you stand? The earthly Kingdom?

Fine is you are a Jew, if not, then you are confused.

I try to keep his Law out of my love for him. But I am human and I have my weaknesses. Was it John who said to keep his law and it is not a burden?