Toddler shoots mother in Walmart...

So...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/30/idaho-toddler-shoots-kills-mother-walmart

Idaho toddler shoots and kills his mother inside Walmart

County sheriff said the 29-year-old woman, named as Veronica Rutledge, had a concealed weapons permit.

Police in Idaho say a two-year-old boy shot and killed his 29-year-old mother in a Walmart store after finding the weapon in her purse.

The Kootenai county sheriff’s office said Veronica Rutledge was shopping with her son and three other children in the small town of Hayden when the boy, sitting in the front of the shopping cart, found the gun and shot her at about 10.20am local time.

The sheriff’s spokesman Stu Miller said Rutledge, who was from Blackfoot in southeastern Idaho, had a concealed weapons permit. She was visiting relatives in the area, he added.

Miller said the young boy had reached into his mother’s purse and grabbed a small caliber handgun, which discharged once. “It appears to be a pretty tragic accident,” he added.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
truly a tragic incident

would it have been better if he had released the parking brake in her car and it had run over her and killed her that way?

This Charming Manc

We both know it wouldn't, but its one of those arguments I here from the gun lobby constantly that makes no sense.

Just because we cannot make the world completely risk free, does not mean we should not do what we can to make it safer.

It is a horrible tragic accident and thankfully rare, but an example of gun accidents that do claim significant lives in the US each year.

However the gun lobby will continue with its inane arguments and avoid addressing the fact that privately owned guns kill an awful lot of Americans every year.

truly a tragic incident

would it have been better if he had released the parking brake in her car and it had run over her and killed her that way?

This Charming Manc

Cars are a fact of life, guns dont have to be.

The level of private gun ownership in US is a weird thing in world terms, its an anomaly, its definitely off the beaten track and its fatal for lots of Americans.

The blocks to doing some thing about this are;

• The US constitution locks the concept of Guns = Freedom in peoples mind.
  • Removing one constitution right opens the doors for others to be eroded.
  • There are just so many guns, its going to be hard to do
  • US culture has accepted high gun ownership and death toll that goes with it as normal and acceptable.

so do cars :idunno:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
While this is a tragedy, it's about the victim not being a responsible gun owner and has nothing to do with guns.

Everyone knows that guns (like cars) are dangerous.

In this day and age, guns are necessary insofar as a way for law abiding citizens to protect themselves as well as their family.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Cars are a fact of life, guns dont have to be.

Not in the UK...so stay there and kindly mind your own affairs.

The level of private gun ownership in US is a weird thing in world terms, its an anomaly, its definitely off the beaten track and its fatal for lots of Americans.

Not weird at all, and no more fatal than knives or poison in your neck of the woods being you banned firearms and there was no drop in homicides...killers just found a different way, poison & stabbing objects.

The blocks to doing some thing about this are;

You have no vested interest in our laws or rights to begin with foreigner so, butt out!

republicanchick

W

However the gun lobby will continue with its inane arguments and avoid addressing the fact that privately owned guns kill an awful lot of Americans every year.

I have an idea. Why don't we count up the lives SAVED by guns (intruders, rapists, murderers) or that could have been saved had the victim had a gun

and compare that to the number of accidental shootings

+++

This Charming Manc

While this is a tragedy, it's about the victim not being a responsible gun owner and has nothing to do with guns.

Its about both, but when you have appro 100 millions of gun owners some are going to be irresponsible.

Everyone knows that guns (like cars) are dangerous

Yeah cars do kill people too but Americans get 3,000,000,000,000 miles per year of road travel for cars, what do you get from guns?

In this day and age, guns are necessary insofar as a way for law abiding citizens to protect themselves as well as their family.

Only in the US, the rest of the civilized world doesn't really need them to protect themselves.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Its about both, but when you have appro 100 millions of gun owners some are going to be irresponsible..

Sort of like cars ...

Yeah cars do kill people too but Americans get 3,000,000,000,000 miles per year of road travel for cars, what do you get from guns?.

Depends on the owner. There are those who actually hunt for the purpose of putting meat on the table for themselves and their family.

There are also those who wish to have the ultimate protection to keep their loved ones and home safe.

Only in the US, the rest of the civilized world doesn't really need them to protect themselves.

Well goody, goody gumdrops for them. IF those outside of my country wish to put their agenda above their family, it's not my place to tell them their priorities are skewed.

This Charming Manc

Not in the UK...so stay there and kindly mind your own affairs.

Seeing as my wife and kids are American citizens I do have interest. Any if you friends house in on fire you tell them.

30,000 Americans die from guns every year, many of them preventable, it would uncaring not top point that out.

Not weird at all, and no more fatal than knives or poison in your neck of the woods being you banned firearms and there was no drop in homicides...killers just found a different way, poison & stabbing objects.

OK another gun lobby meme. We didn't really have high gun ownership before, so there was no comparison, we had one school shooting so banned all handguns, and haven't had a school shooting in the 20 years since.

We still have mass shootings in the UK but in the region of one every decade.

After the ban on handguns in the 90's we saw murders go up both in the US and UK at the same rate, which would suggest other factors were at play (id suggest crack cocaine and gang violence)

846px-Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg.png

US figures

I'm digging round for UK figures in a similar format bear with me

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seeing as my wife and kids are American citizens I do have interest. Any if you friends house in on fire you tell them.

Well that's interesting ... have you told them not to use anything electric, not to smoke or use wood burning stoves?

Don't forget propane heaters ...

resodko

BANNED
Banned
obviously the mother felt the need to carry, for whatever reason

i would suspect that it made her feel more secure in circumstances that she would have otherwise had to avoid

republicanchick

After the ban on handguns in the 90's we saw murders go up both in the US and UK at the same rate, which would suggest other factors were at play (id suggest crack cocaine and gang violence)

e

wow, this says it all

I always knew it was foolish to ban handguns and that that would mean only criminals have guns, but I had no idea the stats on this

you lefties care more about your leftie ideology than you do (SURPRISE SURPRISE)

about people

:singer:

This Charming Manc

Why dont you do that...

I've seen some figure banded round on here, but if they were true you average American would be 50 time more likely to be a would be murderer, than a European.

I dont think that's true do you?

Your robbery and rape rates are similar to the UK, your murder rates much higher, that would suggest the net effect is not positive.

but go one go find some convincing and believable stats on the subject

I have an idea. Why don't we count up the lives SAVED by guns (intruders, rapists, murderers) or that could have been saved had the victim had a gun

and compare that to the number of accidental shootings

+++

Granite

Hall of Fame
An incident like this is frankly unimaginable anywhere else in the civilized world.

We're a nation awash with guns. And a lack of common sense goes a long way, which is why I see no problem with mandatory training before issuing, say, a concealed carry permit.

Otherwise, we'll just have to pretty much do as we've been doing, take these tragedies in stride, and shrug.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
We're a nation awash with guns. And a lack of common sense goes a long way, which is why I see no problem with mandatory training before issuing, say, a concealed carry permit.

:think: I'm pretty sure that states which issue carry permits do this....Whether the amount of training mandated is adequate is another issue however.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:think: I'm pretty sure that states which issue carry permits do this....Whether the amount of training mandated is adequate is another issue however.

Not every state. New Hampshire, my stomping grounds, requires this:

a) ten bucks
b) which you pay when you fill out the application at the PD
c) which you get, after a brief background check, in 3-5 days

That's it. We pay for the permit on the spot, Tom. The operating assumption being that anyone applying for one sure doesn't have a record and is gonna get it anyway. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they check references for renewals--I've put down friends consistently on mine, and if they got a phone call from the chief, they never mentioned it.