Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, has anybody started school yet? If so, how's it going? We start in a few weeks. We're going with mostly Abeka this year. My older kids are taking Algebra 2, Chemistry, English Lit, World History and Latin. At least that's the plan so far.

So what's in store for everybody else this year?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We start later today. We have to go do laundry first. But, :jessilu: starts high school today. :) So, she's got algebra, English, Bible, literature, general science, and geography. We use Bob Jones curriculum. Other than that, she's going to take tai-kwon-do for PE and volunteer at our local nursing home.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ebenz47037

Other than that, she's going to take tai-kwon-do for PE and volunteer at our local nursing home.
My 13 year old is taking tai-kwon-do this year as well.
They'll have to compare notes. :D

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:jessilu: took tai-kwon-do a few years ago, in California. She reached camo belt before Steve passed away. We ended up quitting when we moved out here. But, there's a school in town that teaches several forms of martial arts. I'm thinking about it for myself as well. :)

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Week 3 here. Straight ABeka curriculum, although I'm thinking about adding some Switched on Schoolhouse Spanish this year... I need to remember to call about that today :eek:

I'm sorta mad at ABeka this year. I went to the "meet" to sign up instead of the net. About 2 weeks later I get a call telling me I still owe them money after paying the whole tuition up front. They didn't bother to change the prices on their site and tried to lay the blame on the guy who peddles the stuff for them, instead. If they try pulling this next year (it takes all year to save up, so it's nice to know the goal I'm aiming at) I'm going to switch to SOS.

ooooh tai-kwon-do... my girl has a "blue belt" in Sho Rin Ru :)

Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find a piano teacher? ... maybe it's a local thing....

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Nineveh

Week 3 here. Straight ABeka curriculum, although I'm thinking about adding some Switched on Schoolhouse Spanish this year... I need to remember to call about that today :eek:

I'm sorta mad at ABeka this year. I went to the "meet" to sign up instead of the net. About 2 weeks later I get a call telling me I still owe them money after paying the whole tuition up front. They didn't bother to change the prices on their site and tried to lay the blame on the guy who peddles the stuff for them, instead. If they try pulling this next year (it takes all year to save up, so it's nice to know the goal I'm aiming at) I'm going to switch to SOS.

ooooh tai-kwon-do... my girl has a "blue belt" in Sho Rin Ru :)

Has anyone noticed how hard it is to find a piano teacher? ... maybe it's a local thing....

We have several homeschool graduates here locally who are giving piano lessons. But I guess that doesn't help you much, huh? :eek:

School's been really busy for us so far. I had a dream last night. Beowulf was slaying the dragons of scientific notation, significant numbers, cos and sin. :freak:

Blessedx6

Re: Time to hit the books!

Originally posted by Poly

So, has anybody started school yet? If so, how's it going? We start in a few weeks. We're going with mostly Abeka this year. My older kids are taking Algebra 2, Chemistry, English Lit, World History and Latin. At least that's the plan so far.

So what's in store for everybody else this year?

Hi Poly,
I am wondering how you teach subjects like Chemistry and Algebra 2? We got the Bob Jones Homesat Satellite dish (which we thought would help teach these difficult subjects) while they were offering it free from Feb-June. We paid the monthly fee, but the dish was free. Now I know why it was free!

I thought with the boys being in high school, the girls in 6th and 1st grade, a 2 1/2 year old to entertain, and a baby due in Dec., That I could use some help. But Homesat was not for us!

We missed taping the classes numerous times, never knew where they were in the book when we finally did tape something, someone kept turning off the light switch which controlled the plug where everything was plugged in (Knight), it was one huge nightmare!

So obviously I was very upset that my plans for school this year were not working out. I talked to Eric's sister about it, and she said since she was already doing much the same grades with her kids, that she would allow my 3 older ones to do school over there with them. This seems to be working out just great. The kids love it and are doing very well. She is such a wonderful person!

Anyway...... I am wondering how to go about teaching the more difficult subjects. Are your kids in a group with other home schoolers for any of their classes?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Blessedx6

Hi Poly,
I am wondering how you teach subjects like Chemistry and Algebra 2?
Well, fortunately, this year my mom was gracious enough to take on Algebra 2 and it's been a tremendous help. So far, studying for their Chemistry takes a lot of time. We'll be starting their lab pretty soon which might get a little rough but the rest of their subjects have been fairly smooth. I have a couple of moms in our homeschool group who have already been through Chemistry with their kids and used the same curriculum I'm using (A beka) so if I get to a rough spot they can help me out.

We got the Bob Jones Homesat Satellite dish (which we thought would help teach these difficult subjects) while they were offering it free from Feb-June. We paid the monthly fee, but the dish was free. Now I know why it was free!

I thought with the boys being in high school, the girls in 6th and 1st grade, a 2 1/2 year old to entertain, and a baby due in Dec., That I could use some help. But Homesat was not for us!
I'm sorry to hear that. Knight had mentioned that you guys were going to use that. I was going to wait a while and then ask you how it was going because I had thought about doing something like that myself. Guess I'll know better. That's really a shame that it couldn't work out better for you.

I talked to Eric's sister about it, and she said since she was already doing much the same grades with her kids, that she would allow my 3 older ones to do school over there with them. This seems to be working out just great. The kids love it and are doing very well. She is such a wonderful person!
That is so neat that she was willing to do that for you. It's great to have family or support groups, willing to help out. I'm very grateful for the support group we have and to my mom for helping me out. This will be the only year that I have all 5 of my kids in school at once. I was a little nervous last summer, wondering how it would all work out but so far it has. My mom is also very good at signing. We found out that Sign Language is recognized as a foreign language in Oklahoma so she is teaching them this as well.

Anyway...... I am wondering how to go about teaching the more difficult subjects. Are your kids in a group with other home schoolers for any of their classes?

Our group offers a few co-op classes for younger students but nothing (yet) for older students. It's mostly a support group but we have hopes of getting a more advanced co-op going within the next 5 years. There are other groups in our area that offer classes that my older boys could take and most are fairly reasonable as far as cost but I wanted to try and do this on my own and save money if at all possible. I may look into them sometime later if I feel I really need them.

Have you're kids ever taken classes in a group with other homeschoolers?

BTW, Congratulations on your newest addition. :)

erinmarie

This thread is like Ask Knight!, except with Poly (and far more informative). ;)

Next year I'll be starting homeschooling with my daughter Rose. This decision has been so far all my own, since I'm not supported by either my mother, or my mother in law. But I feel that it is very important, and cost efficient...and also logical. It's not like I'm goign to be leaving my post as a stay at home mom anytime soon, so why would I ship my baby off to school? :confused:

Anyways, I'd like some pointers on starting a homeschooling program, and what you think (as mothers and teachers) is expected of a Kindergartener before she/he starts her first year of school.

Sozo

erin... first get this book, and follow it as directed!

You can get it on ebay CHEAP! Here

Last edited:

Lovejoy

Hey guys! I don't have children yet, but I wanted let you know that my wife helps out with some home schooling. She is an ATC (certified athletic trainer, which is a BA), and is helping with some health and PE classes through some local groups of home schoolers. My point, assuming I have one, is that she or I (I have an extensive background in human physiology, nutrition, and orthopedics) would be happy to answer any questions in those realms! I even know a bit of chemistry. Just another resource for you guys.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by erinmarie

This thread is like Ask Knight!, except with Poly (and far more informative). ;)
Ebenz is always very good to give out advise and to answer questions as well as some other old timers on here too. :D

Next year I'll be starting homeschooling with my daughter Rose. This decision has been so far all my own, since I'm not supported by either my mother, or my mother in law. But I feel that it is very important, and cost efficient...and also logical. It's not like I'm goign to be leaving my post as a stay at home mom anytime soon, so why would I ship my baby off to school? :confused:

Anyways, I'd like some pointers on starting a homeschooling program, and what you think (as mothers and teachers) is expected of a Kindergartener before she/he starts her first year of school.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have the support of your family. Although I didn't have the support of my in laws, my family supported me which helped a lot. My in laws tried to use every argument in the book, trying to advise me against homeschooling but I dug my heals in and refused to let them intimidate me which they did try and do at times. Now, 12 years later, I can honestly say that while some still have problems with it, they are more supportive which I'm convinced is because of how my kids have turned out both socially and academically. My sister-in-law, who is a 4th grade teacher told me the other day that her daughter is thinking about homeschooling and she seems to be in support of it. I think it's because of what she sees on a daily basis at the school where she teaches.

As far as what's expected of your daughter before she starts Kindergarten, I'd bet good money that she's ready now. Not that I'm saying you should start now but there doesn't have to be this big transition when she starts. You've been teaching her all along. You're simply going to continue next year.

The best advice I can give from personal experience when it comes to teaching Kindergarteners (maybe up through 1st and 2nd grades as well) is to not sweat it. I see others doing the same thing I did and that is to worry every 5 minutes "am I doing it right". Believe me, you're doing it right. It's been said, and I fully agree, that it's much harder to potty train a child than it is to teach a child to read. Reading is half the ballgame at that age as far as I'm concerned. Most kids at that age want to read and to learn whatever it is you're willing to teach them. And there isn't much you have to do in the way of pushing them to do so. I used to worry because we would finish so early. I would give the kids extra work just because I didn't feel right about being through so quickly. I finally learned that if I was satisfied with what and how much they learned, the fact that they didn't spend X amount of time doing school didn't matter. And I've done school at every possible time of the day you can imagine, depending on what was going on in our lives. Sometimes we've had school on the weekend or in the evenings.

Bottom line is their eagerness to learn and your willingness to sit down and work with them and encourage them will cause them to excel. Chances are they are still going to be ahead in whatever they are doing than if they were in a group setting with one teacher trying to devote his/her time to every student. Just having that "one on one" time makes all the difference, at any age.

Hope this has helped and that I haven't rambled on too much. :eek:

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I agree with Poly on this. As far as kindergarten goes, don't sweat it too much. Make learning fun for her.

And, I agree about the book Sozo recommended. Although, I started homeschooling long after :jessilu: learned to read, I've heard wonderful things about that book.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well... not everyone in erin's family is against homeschooling. :wave:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

Well... not everyone in erin's family is against homeschooling. :wave:
You better not be. :noid:

erinmarie

Originally posted by Poly

You better not be. :noid:

Yes, of course Turbo and Sibbie are very supportive of me and my decision to homeschool my girls.
I think that alot of people are just afraid of change, and also maybe a little bit ashamed that they weren't able to homeschool (in my mother's case especially, who was a stay at home mom, and wasn't equipped with the knowledge, nor the patience to school a child over the age of 6 or 7...).
I have taught Rose alot on my own, and she is a very bright child. Mainly what I'm concerned with is that I'm working from the proper workbooks and what not. I feel I have the total capability to give her a great education, I just want to make sure that I'm properly executing it according to whatever laws and mandates the state of PA has...I've looked at the website and I'm still a little confused... :eek:
Also, has anyone every heard of pre-schoolers and even older kids working from a leap pad program? Rose and I do about an hour of leap pad everyday, along with writing and drawing, and it's a lot of fun.
They're expensive I guess, but we recieved ours as a gift. Even the baby enjoys the story mode.

SwItChBlAdE

Hiya Polly!

Rar long time no see! I graduate in May... with my degree in Social work. (go me) sooo I'm taking 15 hours of bs classes (that's behavioral science tee hee)

What have you been up to?

Christine

Hi Erin :wave:

Elaine and I told Dad about this post of yours and he read it. He suggested we tell you about Ten Things to Do Before Age Ten Hope the article helps!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Yes, of course Turbo and Sibbie are very supportive of me and my decision to homeschool my girls.
I think that alot of people are just afraid of change, and also maybe a little bit ashamed that they weren't able to homeschool (in my mother's case especially, who was a stay at home mom, and wasn't equipped with the knowledge, nor the patience to school a child over the age of 6 or 7...).
I have taught Rose alot on my own, and she is a very bright child. Mainly what I'm concerned with is that I'm working from the proper workbooks and what not. I feel I have the total capability to give her a great education, I just want to make sure that I'm properly executing it according to whatever laws and mandates the state of PA has...I've looked at the website and I'm still a little confused... :eek:

I don't know what option you're following. But, IMHO, options 1 and 3 are the best that the state of PA offers. Did you know that you're not required to do any schooling until your child is eight years old in PA?

For attendance you have to have either 180 days or 900 hours (I don't know how you measure the hours when you homeschool. Here, we don't use a traditional daily schedule. We do things that have to do with school any time of the day.).

Subjects you have to teach in elementary school: English spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, U.S. and Pennsylvania history, civics, health and physiology, physical education, music, art, geography, science, safety and fire prevention.

You have to give notice by filing a notarized affidavit with the local superintendent prior to start of home school and annually by August 1st thereafter.

Your recordkeeping has to consist of the following: maintain a portfolio of materials used, work done, standardized test results in grades 3, 5, and 8, and a written evaluation completed by June 30 of each year (I've been told that the written evaluation has to be done by a teacher by friends who homeschool in PA).

And, you have to administer standardized testing for grades 3, 5, and 8, and include that in your portfolio.

Man! You would think that with all the Amish in PA, they would be a more homeschooling-friendly state. I can't believe the rules you guys have to follow.

Also, has anyone every heard of pre-schoolers and even older kids working from a leap pad program? Rose and I do about an hour of leap pad everyday, along with writing and drawing, and it's a lot of fun.
They're expensive I guess, but we recieved ours as a gift. Even the baby enjoys the story mode.

I've never heard of anyone using it as a curriculum. But, whatever works works. :) :jessilu: used to have a little robot called Smartie. He came with a bunch of cards that taught everything from math to spelling to science to geography. She had fun and learned a lot with that. She still remembers it and it's been over 7 years since she had it. :)