The US wouldn't be in such a mess if it were Christian

republicanchick

The US is supposed to be a Christian nation.

:rotfl:

It's just a wanna be

and most of its residents don't really wanna be. There is no fear of God in the US. That's b/c most people adhre to the heretic Luther's diabolical notion of eternal security, otherwise known as Once Saved Always saved. Where does it say that in the Bible?

But it does say quite a bit about t he fear of God, quite a bit about eternal punishment resulting from egregious sin. See: Old Testament acccount of Sodom and Gomorrah

God hates sin, we are told in the Good Book. But people just keep sinning. In a way, they can't help it. I used to be liberal, not in my head, but in my messed up heart. I have almost always been Republican, but... oh, t hat messed up heart

I thnk it is in Jeremiah where it says that the human heart is "deceitful above all, and desperately wicked"

The head says Fornication is probably not a good idea

The heart says But if we love each other

And so chaos and misery ensues, and innocent lives are brought into the horrible picture and more sins are committed and we just all end up in Hell...

but thank God for the Church Christ founded

"I will build My Church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it"

(Mt 16:18)

:sheep:

republicanchick

Can we just start here and maybe get a little bit of historical support for this idea?

oh brother

Do i have to rehash all that stuff about the early presidents quoting the Bible and how they swear their inaugural oath on a Bible and etc... etc...

I can't be your history book

Caledvwlch

oh brother

Do i have to rehash all that stuff about the early presidents quoting the Bible and how they swear their inaugural oath on a Bible and etc... etc...

None of that is historical support for your proposition. Maybe you could locate a passage in the constitution?

republicanchick

None of that is historical support for your proposition. Maybe you could locate a passage in the constitution?

you're an Atheist so you see atheist all over, w hether its there or not

but you cannot dispute that the Founders quoted the Bible and mentioned God over and over

They wanted a land where ALL religions were free to practice

unlike in England where it was just the Episcopal church, spawed by the vile King of england Henry VIII

Caledvwlch

you're an Atheist so you see atheist all over, w hether its there or not

but you cannot dispute that the Founders quoted the Bible and mentioned God over and over

They wanted a land where ALL religions were free to practice

unlike in England where it was just the Episcopal church, spawed by the vile King of england Henry VIII

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Yes, they quoted the Bible. This does not mean they wanted to establish a Christian nation. Yes, they wanted all religions to be able to practice freely, but again, this doesn't mean they were establishing a Christian nation.

I agree that they were trying to avoid the problems with the state church in England. They did it by setting up a thoroughly secular government, not a Christian one.

republicanchick

also, for a sin to be considered Mortal, you have to know that what you are about to do is a mortal (egregious) sin

But again, you can't look at the consequences of fornication and adultery, all the innocent lives dragged into the situation, and not know that fornication and adultery is VERY wrong, against God's laws.

So how many people are REALLY ignorant of that... by the age of at least 35?

Caledvwlch

also, for a sin to be considered Mortal, you have to know that what you are about to do is a mortal (egregious) sin

But again, you can't look at the consequences of fornication and adultery, all the innocent lives dragged into the situation, and not know that fornication and adultery is VERY wrong, against God's laws.

So how many people are REALLY ignorant of that... by the age of at least 35?

Was this meant for a different thread?

Sitamun

oh brother

All that shows is that they themselves were Christian. While they themselves might have been christian and religious, they were smart enough to realize that the only way to ensure that they can worship as they please was to allow all to do so, thus not endorse any specific religion or denomination. Also, Google Treaty of Tripoly for more information.

Sitamun

Except that it wasn't. There have always been Catholics in England. Granted it was quite dangerous at times, but it was far more dangerous to be Protestant during the reign of Henry's daughter Mary, than to be catholic during Henry's reign after the split from Rome. Also curious, why do you find Henry VIII to be vile? Personal curiosity.

TracerBullet

It's just a wanna be

and most of its residents don't really wanna be. There is no fear of God in the US. That's b/c most people adhre to the heretic Luther's diabolical notion of eternal security, otherwise known as Once Saved Always saved. Where does it say that in the Bible?

But it does say quite a bit about t he fear of God, quite a bit about eternal punishment resulting from egregious sin. See: Old Testament acccount of Sodom and Gomorrah

'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.” Ezekiel 16:49-50

(Detestable things - shiqquts; sheqets; shiqqutsim - a term always applied to idol-worship or to objects connected with idolatry)

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by republicanchick

Can we just start here and maybe get a little bit of historical support for this idea?

I realize that you're not supposed to talk to me without first getting the approval of TOL's head atheist (Granite), but be a big boy today (I bet that you even dressed yourself this morning) and look at all of the founding documents, letters, and acts done by the men who founded this once great nation and tell me that they didn't intend for it to be a nation based on Christian culture and Judeo-Christian laws.

Refuting conservative fantasies about the Founding Fathers and Christianity
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78375&highlight=Founding+Fathers

OCTOBER23

There is no fear of God in the US.

Yeah, to many PAGAN Catholickers.

That is why we have so many Tornadoes and Droughts and diseases.

We were once blessed and now its has turned into a Curse like the Smitah years.

when all the Towers and Markets Crashed in 2001, 2008, 2015.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

It's just a wanna be

God hates sin, we are told in the Good Book. But people just keep sinning. In a way, they can't help it. I used to be liberal, not in my head, but in my messed up heart. I have almost always been Republican, but... oh, t hat messed up heart

I thnk it is in Jeremiah where it says that the human heart is "deceitful above all, and desperately wicked"

The head says Fornication is probably not a good idea

The heart says But if we love each other

And so chaos and misery ensues, and innocent lives are brought into the horrible picture and more sins are committed and we just all end up in Hell...

but thank God for the Church Christ founded

"I will build My Church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it"

(Mt 16:18)

:sheep:
"Republicanchick" is expressing nostalgia for a period in American history that never existed!

George Washington:
- never declared himself a Christian according to contemporary reports or in any of his extensive personal correspondence
- championed the cause of freedom from religious intolerance and compulsion.
- appointed John Murray (a universalist who denied the existence of hell) to become an army chaplain despite petitions from other chaplains for his dismissal
- on his deathbed, Washington uttered no words of a religious nature and did not call for a clergyman to be in attendance.

John Adams: - "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!"

Thomas Jefferson: - "Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."
- "I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

James Madison: -"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

Benjamin Franklin: - "I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies."

Thomas Paine: "All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

The Treaty of Tripoli: - passed by the U.S. Senate in 1797
- read in part: "The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

Abraham Lincoln: - "The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."

Last edited: