The Church IS the Bride of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The Church Fathers saw the blood and water that came out from the side of Christ as the formation of the Church, the bride of Christ. This is because in Genesis, God put Adam into a deep sleep, opened his side and from a rib formed Eve. The next verse alludes that they are husband and wife because it explains why “a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one flesh” (Genesis 2:24).

On Calvary, Christ becomes a New Adam who closed his eyes in death, and opened his eyes when he resurrected – as if in a deep sleep. In between that, a soldier pierced his side (in his rib cage, scholars of the Sacred Shroud tell us) with a lance. From that wound came out the Bride of Christ, the Church.

Christ himself calls himself a bridegroom when disciples of John were asking why his (Christ’s) disciples were not fasting. Jesus said, “how can the guests fast when the bridegroom is still with them” (Mark 9:15). First century Jews would have understood that Christ was claiming to be divine because God always presented himself as a bridegroom to his bride, Israel.

One insight we get from this is that Christ and his Church are inseparable: they are one and the same thing. Another insight we get from this is this is how Christ redeems us. The story of Ruth, in the Old Testament, foreshadows and illustrates how Christ does this.

In the story, Naomi and her daughter-in-law, Ruth, are widows. During that time, when mostly men did business, it was almost sure financial ruin would befall women who lost their husbands. It was like a death-sentence if money ran out for how would they buy food to survive.

Both women went to Bethlehem where Ruth worked in a grain field and met Boaz who happened to be a relative of Naomi. Understanding her situation, Boaz felt compassion for her and presented himself as a husband redeemer. During that time, the title of husband redeemer meant a man could put someone under his care, consequently acquiring all her land and debt. Long story short, Boaz married Ruth, took over the property of Naomi and paid her debts. The way Boaz saved them from a doomed life by becoming the bridegroom of Ruth, Christ does the same for us by becoming the bridegroom of his Church.

The wages of sin is death, and so we must pay with our deaths. But, as a husband redeemer, Christ died to pay for it so we don’t have to.

We don’t deserve it. God did not have to do it for he owes us nothing. The only thing we can do is be thankful for it. Thanking him in our private prayers is good, but we can also thank him collectively in the mass. It is, after all, the Eucharist, which means thanksgiving. It is the perfect way of giving thanks to the Father as we join ourselves with Christ in his sacrifice.

SOURCE

The Church is the Bride of Christ

The unity of Christ and the Church, head and members of one Body, also implies the distinction of the two within a personal relationship. This aspect is often expressed by the image of bridegroom and bride. The theme of Christ as Bridegroom of the Church was prepared for by the prophets and announced by John the Baptist.234 The Lord referred to himself as the "bridegroom."235 The Apostle speaks of the whole Church and of each of the faithful, members of his Body, as a bride "betrothed" to Christ the Lord so as to become but one spirit with him.236 The Church is the spotless bride of the spotless Lamb.237 "Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her."238 He has joined her with himself in an everlasting covenant and never stops caring for her as for his own body:239
  • This is the whole Christ, head and body, one formed from many . . . whether the head or members speak, it is Christ who speaks. He speaks in his role as the head (ex persona capitis) and in his role as body (ex persona corporis). What does this mean? "The two will become one flesh. This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the Church."240 And the Lord himself says in the Gospel: "So they are no longer two, but one flesh."241 They are, in fact, two different persons, yet they are one in the conjugal union, . . . as head, he calls himself the bridegroom, as body, he calls himself "bride."242

SOURCE

References:
234 Jn 3:29.
235 Mk 2:19.
236 Cf. Mt 22:1-14; 25:1-13; 1 Cor 6:15-17; 2 Cor 11:2.
237 Cf. Rev 22:17; Eph 1:4; 5:27.
238 Eph 5:25-26.
239 Cf. Eph 5:29.
240 Eph 5:31-32.
241 Mt 19:6.
242 St. Augustine, En. in Ps. 74:4:pL 36,948-949.

Right Divider

Body part
Christ did NOT "become a new Adam on Calvary".

The Bible never calls Christ "a new Adam". It does call Him the LAST ADAM, which is the Lord from heaven.
1Co 15:45-49 KJV And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. (46) Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. (47) The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. (48) As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. (49) And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
You should throw out those false RCC doctrines and start believing the Word of God.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
You should throw out those false RCC doctrines and start believing the Word of God.

As usual you have things backwards and wrong. The FACT that the Church IS the Bride of Christ is believed by all Christians, not just Catholics. The only people who deny it are a handful of Biblical illiterates like you.

Right Divider

Body part
As usual you have things backwards and wrong. The FACT that the Church IS the Bride of Christ is believed by all Christians, not just Catholics. The only people who deny it are a handful of Biblical illiterates like you.
Most Christians practice Churchianity and believe all kinds of myths about the Bible.

Catholics are some of the most Biblically illiterate Christians on the planet.

You continue to make FALSE claims about everything including my "Biblical illiteracy", but you've failed support that with ANY valid arguments whatsoever. You've really good what cutting and pasting RCC propaganda but have not ONCE actually discussed the scripture.

Last edited:

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
I post what almost all Christians believe. You post the rantings of the extremist minority.

You just cannot come to grips with the fact that between the Eastern Orthodox, Traditional Anglicans, Coptics and Catholics, we represent almost all of the worlds Christians, and this is what we believe.

As I said before,. you are a Biblical illiterate and when it comes to Christian history your brain is a void.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
From a non-Catholic Source:

How is the church the bride of Christ?

Several places in the Bible use the imagery of marriage to describe the relationship between Christ and the church.

Ephesians 5 uses the example of Christ's relationship to the church as instructive for marriage. Ephesians 5:23 talks about the husband being head of the wife (leader of the family) and compares that to Christ being the head of the church. Similarly, verse 24 notes that the church is to submit to Christ; the comparison here involves the submission of a godly woman to her loving husband.

Ephesians 5:25-27 describes how Christ loved the church and gave His life for it. Likewise, a husband is to love His wife unconditionally and without limit. Christ loves the church as He loves Himself (Ephesians 5:28-30). Likewise, a husband is to love his wife as himself, considering their marriage as "one body."

The Ephesians 5 passage on marriage summarizes, "let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband" (v. 33). Mutual love and respect form the basis for a God-honoring marriage. Likewise, Christ's love for the church and the church's love and respect for Christ form the basis for a God-honoring church.

Second Corinthians 11:2 offers a similar look at Christ as the groom and the church as the bride of Christ. Here Paul writes, "For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ." Paul uses this analogy to show his love for the Corinthian believers, serving in the role as a spiritual father, offering the church at Corinth to Christ as the groom.

In addition, the New Jerusalem described in Revelation 21 is called "a bride." It is the place where all of God's people will dwell here with Him for all eternity. The beauty of this "bride" is stunning.

Though the New Jerusalem is not the bride of Christ, it complements Ephesians 5 in showing the loving relationship between Christ and His people. The marriage relationship, rightly practiced, reflects many of the ways Jesus loves His people, the church, as its husband.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I post what almost all Christians believe. You post the rantings of the extremist minority.

Argument from popularity.

You just cannot come to grips with the fact that between the Eastern Orthodox, Traditional Anglicans, Coptics and Catholics, we represent almost all of the worlds Christians, and this is what we believe.

So what?

As I said before,. you are a Biblical illiterate and when it comes to Christian history your brain is a void.

Because you say so?

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Argument from popularity.

You repeat the same charge, I repeat the same response:

As usual you are in error, a normal state of affairs for you. I said what I said because RightDivider always accuses my or posting "RCC Doctrine", and I am demonstrating that my beliefs are not simply Catholic doctrine but they are the beliefs of most Christians. And of course, I am correct. In fact, prior to the so-called Reformation, my beliefs were the beliefs of ALL Christians.

I stand with historic, authentic Christianity.
You promote Neo-Sectarianism and its accompanying false doctrines.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You repeat the same charge, I repeat the same response:

As usual you are in error, a normal state of affairs for you. I said what I said because RightDivider always accuses my or posting "RCC Doctrine", and I am demonstrating that my beliefs are not simply Catholic doctrine but they are the beliefs of most Christians. And of course, I am correct. In fact, prior to the so-called Reformation, my beliefs were the beliefs of ALL Christians.

I stand with historic, authentic Christianity.
You promote Neo-Sectarianism and its accompanying false doctrines.

Repeating you position doesn't magically make it become a valid argument.

You used fallacious arguments. I'm calling you out on them.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I could say the same to you.

At any rate, my position has been proven Biblically. Now we are just in a schoolyard shoving match which I am now walking away from. Adios.

Where have I simply repeated my argument and stated that my position stands?

Afaik, I have not. Yet you constantly do so. And then you walk away claiming to be the victor.

You should humble yourself, TG.

ttruscott

The way Boaz saved them from a doomed life by becoming the bridegroom of Ruth, Christ does the same for us by becoming the bridegroom of his Church.

The wages of sin is death, and so we must pay with our deaths. But, as a husband redeemer, Christ died to pay for it so we don’t have to.
Yes, I agree though the marriage is not concluded until the wedding of the Lamb when He goes from Bridegroom to Husband.

But I continue to ask: when was His bride the Church created? If on earth then they were created in sin as filthy rags liable to judgement and I have decided that I cannot believe anymore that the GOD who is love, righteous and just would make, create, anyone enslaved to sin and subject to death without their personal free will choice / decision to rebel against HIM.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Yes, I agree though the marriage is not concluded until the wedding of the Lamb when He goes from Bridegroom to Husband.

But I continue to ask: when was His bride the Church created? If on earth then they were created in sin as filthy rags liable to judgement and I have decided that I cannot believe anymore that the GOD who is love, righteous and just would make, create, anyone enslaved to sin and subject to death without their personal free will choice / decision to rebel against HIM.

Its debatable when the first day of the Church was. Was it Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came and they finally got off their duffs and started going forth? Was it when Jesus drank the fourth cup on the cross and said It is Completed? Was it when he rose from the dead? I like to think it was Pentecost when the Holy Spirit breathed life into the Church and they set out upon their Great Commission.

EDIT: Oh, and of course I believe in Free Will too.

Last edited:

ttruscott

Its debatable when the first day of the Church was.
ImCo:
The Church was created with the promise of election to heaven to all who wanted it as each person who wanted it put their faith in HIM to fulfil the promise of election in them and they became Church members before the foundation of the world.
Everyone who became a part of the Church did so by a free will decision to trust YHWH's promise of election. No one was forced.

No one was ignored or not accepted who wanted to put their faith in YHWH's promise of election to heaven as HIS Bride. This also means that anyone who was passed over for election was passed over because they didn't want it. They were condemned for their lack of faith in HIM, their lack of faith in HIS promise and rejected becoming a part of HIS church, HIS Bride to be, ie, HIS elect.They made this destructive decision from a position of purity , ie, they were as yet sinless and were not coerced by any force at all except their desire to be their own boss.

No one was born or created evil that didn't already reject YHWH's deity (the tares) or rebel against HIS commands in some way, (the sinful good seed).

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
ImCo:
The Church was created with the promise of election to heaven to all who wanted it as each person who wanted it put their faith in HIM to fulfil the promise of election in them and they became Church members before the foundation of the world.
Everyone who became a part of the Church did so by a free will decision to trust YHWH's promise of election. No one was forced.

No one was ignored or not accepted who wanted to put their faith in YHWH's promise of election to heaven as HIS Bride. This also means that anyone who was passed over for election was passed over because they didn't want it. They were condemned for their lack of faith in HIM, their lack of faith in HIS promise and rejected becoming a part of HIS church, HIS Bride to be, ie, HIS elect.They made this destructive decision from a position of purity , ie, they were as yet sinless and were not coerced by any force at all except their desire to be their own boss.

No one was born or created evil that didn't already reject YHWH's deity (the tares) or rebel against HIS commands in some way, (the sinful good seed).

You speak totally in the past tense.
Why.

ttruscott

Are you a Calvinist?
No ma'am...I hate the Calvinist UNconditional election with all my heart because it implies (though they try to hide it) an UNconditional condemnation by passing over some people for election due to no reason at all.

Nor do Calvinists accept my adherence to our pre-conception existence before the foundation of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.