Theology Club: Standard A9D View of Paul's Ministry

Danoh

We should all read the above PDF on this thread, though only the tip of the iceberg, it is really well laid out as to how A9D looks at things.

heir

TOL Subscriber
And I thought I already had lots and lots of distinctions down!

The following is a very impressive and detailed study of how the standard Acts 9 Dispensationalist looks at Paul's Ministry, in contrast to the 28er:

http://www.tcmusa.org/publications/heath/HeathLiterature/ACTS28.pdf
I wish it were more in bullet form showing what the "standard" believe and then what the "28ers" believe in comparison. It would have been a much easier read and not so long. Also, the fact of the matter is, the "28ers" are not the only ones with false premises that lead to false conclusions. I see problems on both sides.

Jerry Shugart

I wish it were more in bullet form showing what the "standard" believe and then what the "28ers" believe in comparison. It would have been a much easier read and not so long. Also, the fact of the matter is, the "28ers" are not the only ones with false premises that lead to false conclusions. I see problems on both sides.

Do you agree with these ideas of SaulToPaul?:

1. I believe the dispensation of the gospel began in Acts 9.
2. I believe a transition occurred in Acts 18, steering Paul onto his eventual course, and is hinted at in Romans and 2 Corinthians.
3. I believe the dispensation of the grace of God began shortly after Acts 28.
4. I believe there is one Body of Christ, made up of heirs and joint-heirs.
5. I believe the dispensation of the gospel and the dispensation of the grace of God will conclude with the Rapture of the Body.

Do these ideas represent the "Standard A9D View of Paul's Ministry" that is taught within the Neo-Mad community?

musterion

Yup. I've even found a few points of clarification on things that the 28s see better than the 9s do. Not necessarily on 28-only doctrines, just things their perspective shows that I hadn't seen in quite the same light.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Do you agree with these ideas of SaulToPaul?
Yes, I agree with Bro. SaulToPaul 104.9%

Do these ideas represent the "Standard A9D View of Paul's Ministry" that is taught within the Neo-Mad community?
According to the article linked in the OP, I'd have to say no, but who gets to decide what the standard Acts 9 view of Paul's ministry, is? And what is the Neo-Mad community?

Danoh

Yeah, Its why I wrote he sees things in a manner similar to how I do, more or less.

Admittedly, I see the same kind of thing within your view.

I continue to find the various views challenging in a positive way.

It's why I do not feel the need to beat others over the head with insistence they adhere to my view, post, after post, after post, let alone; no matter the actual subject (such insistence being a good way to ensure one ceases to grow).

I'm curious; were you aware of the standard A9D view but then eventually moved to the one you now hold to, or did you start out learning only your current view?

It appears to me the latter is the case; is that about right, more or less?

Feel free not to answer if you feel some fool is only going to use that to derail your every post.

Thanks

Danoh

Yup. I've even found a few points of clarification on things that the 28s see better than the 9s do. Not necessarily on 28-only doctrines, just things their perspective shows that I hadn't seen in quite the same light.

I concur. There have been times where I have learned more about the Prophetic aspect of God's Two-Fold Purpose from someone who; because they believe it is theirs, have invested more time in some of its areas than I may have.

Its the same in all areas of life.

That's why its good to keep an open - at the same time - and ever cautious mind, where dealing with another's view of things is concerned.

Jerry Shugart

And what is the Neo-Mad community?

The original teaching of MAD say that the Jews who lived under the law were saved by faith and faith alone. The same original MAD taught that the Twelve were in the Body of Christ and that the epistles beginning with Romans through Jude contain doctrine for those in the Body of Christ.

Neo-MAD or New MAD denies those truths.

Since you agree with STP on the following doesn't that make you a Post-Acts Dispensationalist?:

I believe the dispensation of the grace of God began shortly after Acts 28.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The original teaching of MAD say that the Jews who lived under the law were saved by faith and faith alone. The same original MAD taught that the Twelve were in the Body of Christ and that the epistles beginning with Romans through Jude contain doctrine for those in the Body of Christ.

Neo-MAD or New MAD denies those truths.
Who says that the "original teaching of MAD" is correct?

Since you agree with STP on the following doesn't that make you a Post-Acts Dispensationalist?:
Bro. SaulToPaul and I both believe and have stated over and over to you and others that the Body of Christ began in Acts 9 as well as the dispensation of the gospel. Your divisive label doesn't fit.

Danoh

Lol, which "original"?

Before Anderson (supposedly) and O'Hair (obviously) there was someone else who'd held to the Mid-Acts Distinctions (and nope, no 12 in, or whatever, had been part of this individual's "original") and, he and his, were far from... alone.

Hey, lets all go back to sawing off limbs, and lobotomies, and all the rest. I mean, you know, they were "the original."

Jerry Shugart

Bro. SaulToPaul and I both believe and have stated over and over to you and others that the Body of Christ began in Acts 9 as well as the dispensation of the gospel. Your divisive label doesn't fit.

The only gospel that was preached at Acts 9 is this one:

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God...proving that this is the very Christ" (Acts 9:20,22).

The Jews who lived under the law who believed that truth received life when they were born of God:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:31).​

Do you think that the Jews who lived under the law received life when they believed that truth? Do you think that the same Jews who believed that truth were "born of God" when they believed that truth?:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1-5).​

Will you answer those simple questions or will you run and hide from them?

Jerry Shugart

Lol, which "original"?

The first to teach the Mid Acts Dispensational view was John Nelson Darby, the father of systemized Dispensationsalism.

So no one before him taught MAD. And he taught that the Jews who lived under the law were saved by faith and faith alone. He also taught that the doctrine contained in the epistles beginning at Romans and ending at Jude was for the Body of Christ. And Sir Robert Anderson preached with Darby and he also taught MAD and that the Jews were saved by faith and faith alone. He also taught that the same epistles are for those in the Body of Christ.

Before Anderson (supposedly) and O'Hair (obviously) there was someone else who'd held to the Mid-Acts Distinctions (and nope, no 12 in, or whatever, had been part of this individual's "original") and, he and his, were far from... alone.

Who before Darby?

Jerry Shugart

Consider also that while it is fine to let a passage mean what it says, that is actually not enough.

That one must then proceed to attempt to identify what it means.

Through comparison of verse with verse first.

Since you think that you know the correct way to interpret the Scriptures let us see if your method works. Let us look at these words spoken to the Jews who lived under the law by the Lord Jesus:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

According to my method of interpreting the Scriptures the Lord told those Jews that if they "believed" then they would be saved. He said nothing about doing "works" in order to be saved so according to my method of interpreting the Scriptures they were saved by faith and faith alone.

Last time I gave you these facts you just ran and hid from them. Why is that since you think that you have the key to finding the correct interpretation of the meaning of the Scriptures?

The one ingredient you left out is "believing" what is written. You keep forgetting to do that!

Last edited:

Danoh

Since you think that you know the correct way to interpret the Scriptures let us see if it works. Let us look at these words spoken to the Jews who lived under the law by the Lord Jesus:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

According to my method of interpreting the Scriptures the Lord told those Jews that if the "believed" then they would be saved. He said nothing about doing "works" in order to be saved so according to my method of interpreting the Scriptures they were saved by faith and faith alone.

Do you agree with that?

Do I agree with what?

heir

TOL Subscriber
The first to teach the Mid Acts Dispensational view was John Nelson Darby, the father of systemized Dispensationsalism.

Who before Darby?
1 Corinthians 4:15-16 KJV

15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. 16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

1 Corinthians 9:17 KJV

17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV

3 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, 2 if ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: 3 how that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, 4 whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) 5 which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; 6 that the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Colossians 1:23-26 KJV

23 if ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; 24 who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body’s sake, which is the church: 25 whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; 26 even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

Paul is the first!

Danoh

So what makes you think he was right? Maybe we are all wrong, and we should be Roman Catholics.

Ha! Good one :)

STP, I am not into my being right, rather; into what is sound, when all that needs to be carefully considered and then just as carefully examined, is... and that is a never ending process.

Brother, I was speaking from that; not from - and I'll just have to say it this way - your view's obvious to me; reading into things due to what it has failed to consider.

In the OT, atonement was only for those gathered?

Sorry, brother, and I don't mean this with any animosity towards you; you might consider that yours just might be a case of one's having arrived at a view absent of information that; had it been taken into account before having concluded a thing, might have resulted in a different conclusion.

Consider that yours just might be the result of reading one's view into things that one actually should have examined apart from said view.

Israel was a corporate entity - a people; a nation, an agency. There was no such thing as atonement "only for those gathered."

Consider that you might be simply looking at that from what you concluded too soon about what Ephesians two is actually talking about.

When consistent, the standard A9D practice will be to examine Prophecy and Mystery independently of one another. Only then comparing them.

"Let me see; now what is their program, and how does this work in theirs... okay, now what is our program and how does this work in ours... okay, now, what is the same principle in both, but that, at the same time differs in application in each..."

According to Paul in Romans through Philemon, one principle in both hopes is the DBR. Thus, he is easily able to assert he is not preaching anything that would contradict the DBR, just as the Jerusalem council had had to conclude was the case in Acts 15 - that God's seemingly odd visit among the Gentiles, not only - before - Israel's Prophesied "fullness" but - without - Israel - was in agreement because He said He would bless the Gentiles and He is sovereign, end of story - known to Him are His ways, etc.

For example, the answered, unanswered prayer issue is too be carefully and exhaustively examined in this way - as all things are to be examined.

In light of the Principle of God's Two-Fold Purpose: Prophecy and Mystery.

Differences in understanding will depend on the extent to which each individual will have applied the Hermeneutic in this way, for example.

That is the case with all issues, subjects, understandings.

Because the Mystery was new ground - even he who is "the sum of wisdom" was completely thrown by it's revealing, and that, in a puny mortal who had been at odds with the Lord of said Mystery's glory.

In this, all issues are a continuing exploration as never ending as any other "science" worth its true weight in gold, silver, and precious stones will have to be.

Acts, for example, is never allowed to determine doctrine as it is a transitional book, just as Matthew and, say, Hebrews, are.

Acts is to be understood through Paul's writings - thru his understandings - not the other way around.

Because he was the only one "given to understand" these things.

Again, all this is a never ending, ever open to revisiting one's conclusions... process.

This very process is how the A13 Position ended up out the window with that guy who fell out that window, lol

Apparently, he was not the only one who fell out that window, if you know what I mean :rotfl:

Yours in Him, bro.