Sins worthy of death and sins not worthy of death

marke

There are two types of sins: 1. Sins worthy of death, and 2. Sins not worthy of death. There is one sin worthy of eternal death and there are sins not worthy of eternal death.

Deuteronomy 21
18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:

23 His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

Jason0047

Sins Not Unto Death:

Important Note:
Please keep in mind that I am not trying to trivialize sin. I believe after we are saved by God's grace that we must live holy as a part of God's plan of salvation. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. Believers cannot justify sin that leads to spiritual death, condemnation, or hellfire. For I believe we should obey the Lord in all things. For I want to stress that there are grievous sins (or death sins) like murder, hate, adultery, lying, etc. that can lead even a believer to being condemned in the Lake of Fire if such sins are not repented of (i.e. if these sins are not confessed or forsaken). I am not Catholic or Orthodox. I just believe the Bible and the Bible alone as my final Word of authority.​

Anyways,...

Here is my biblical case for sins that do not lead unto death:

#1. 1 John 5:17 mentions the "sin not unto death."

In context to 1 John 5: This would be talking about confessed grievous sin that one is striving to overcome with the Lord's help (1 John 2:1) (1 John 1:9) (Romans 13:14). In 1 John 5, the brethren are praying for this believer to have victory (life) over their sin as this believer confesses their sin (Note: Grievous sin are sins the Bible warns with punishment by hellfire, or spiritual death, etc.; These would be sins like murder, hate, adultery, theft, idolatry, etc.). If these sins are confessed with the intention of forsaking them (so as to overcome them), the individual is not abiding in spiritual death.

#2. Paul ignores the warnings of the Spirit and Psalms 19:12.
Psalms 19:12 says, "Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults." I believe these would be faults of character or minor errors that a person might make with people. Example: A person may not be a great listener, and they do not allow others to speak like they should. By not listening to others may come off a little like they do not care (even though they care in their own way or a different way). Paul wanted to go to Jerusalem. The Spirit warned Paul not to go. He was still determined to go because he loved His fellow Jews and wanted them to know the love of Jesus. The Spirit told the brethren that Paul will be imprisoned by his going to Jerusalem. The brethren warned Paul not to go. They were in tears and loved him and begged him not to go. But Paul did not listen. He would not hear them. He did not want to hear it. Fault of character. Hidden fault. Minor error of his character. It is not something that condemned him (See Acts of the Apostles 21, and read this article here by Ray Stedman; Note: There is even a better write up than this one by Bible commentator James Boice here; Please keep in mind I do not share their views on Soteriology, though; I merely agree with their view on what happened with Paul in Acts of the Apostles 21).

#3. The Command to Be Baptized.
Paul says Christ sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). If it was essential to salvation, then why would Paul say something like this? In 1 Peter 3:21: Peter says baptism is not for the putting away of the filth of the flesh. If you were to turn to 2 Corinthians 7:1, you would see that it uses similar wording ("filthiness of the flesh") that is clearly in reference to sin. So Peter is saying that baptism is not for the putting away of "sin" [i.e. filth of the flesh]. In other words, baptism is not a command that if disobeyed, leads to spiritual death.

#4. The Least of These Commands in Matthew 5:19.
We know that 1 John 5:16-17 declares that there is a sin not unto death. So if this is the case, we should expect to see other testimonies of this kind of thing in God's Word.

“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19).
This was said by the Lord Jesus at the sermon on the mount. Jesus was not referring to the 613 Torah laws but He was referring to the New Commands He was giving at the sermon on the mount, etc.; Granted, I am not encouraging anyone to break the Lord's commands (even the commands that do not appear to be a major violation of loving God and others), but our Lord's words have to still hold true in Matthew 5:19. Meaning, there are going to be believers who are in the Kingdom and they taught others that they could break the least of Jesus' commandments. How can they be in the Kingdom?

What could be a possible least command that Jesus is referring to? Well, one possible example would be the command to Rejoice when men persecute you or falsely accuse you of evil in Matthew 5:11-12. For it does not seem like a major violation of loving God and others if we fail to obey this instruction.

#5. Punishment of sins in earthly courts vs. a sin that leads to hellfire (Matthew 5:22). Jesus described to us the difference between death-sins vs. non-death sins in Matthew 5:22.

“But I say to you that everyone who continues to be angry with his brother or harbors malice against him shall be guilty before the court; and whoever speaks [contemptuously and insultingly] to his brother, ‘Raca (You empty-headed idiot)!’ shall be guilty before the supreme court (Sanhedrin); and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of the fiery hell.” (Matthew 5:22) (AMP).​

The words in blue above are “non-death sins” because they are punishment in earthly courts. The words in red above is a “death sin” because it is punishment in hellfire in the afterlife.

#6. Accidental manslaughter and being able to flee to cities of refuge (Deuteronomy 19:1-13); Contrast this with intentional murder which results in capital punishment (See: Deuteronomy 19:21, Numbers 35:31).

#7. Adam’s Inherited Sin (Involving babies that die).
I believe Adam’s Inherited Sin Leads all mankind to physically die. Adam’s sin also opened the door for all men and women to fall into spiritual death and condemnation. But we know according to Scripture and the goodness of God that if a baby dies in this world, they are saved. For King David knew that he would see his unborn child again (2 Samuel 12:23), and Jesus says that children are of the Kingdom of God (Luke 18:16). So how are they saved if Adam brought death? Well, Jesus reversed the curse of spiritual death involving the sin of Adam. The Promised Messiah was the promise of God of salvation to men. So if a baby dies, they will be saved. God is not willing that any should perish. Jesus died for our sins because God loves us. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. But the point here is that if babies are saved, and they are doomed to die physically at some point in their life (either as a baby or an adult) by Adam’s sin, we should realize that the stain of spiritual death from Adam did not take hold onto the lives of babies because of the Messiah. So the sin of Adam passing down spiritual death does not harm a baby. It’s a sin not unto death. Now, the fallen nature was passed down, and thus when that baby grows up, they will sin when they are faced with the knowledge of good and evil. But this is why Jesus came. To set the captives free from sin and death. For Jesus not only came to forgive our sins, but He came to give us a new heart, and new desires to live a new life in Him. A life that is not enslaved to grievous sin that brings spiritual death. Side Note: Now, did spiritual death take hold upon Adam? I believe it did because God said that he would die in the day he would eat of the tree (he was commanded to not eat). Did Adam drop dead physically when he ate of the wrong tree? Surely not. So this means Adam died spiritually. Also, I believe the promise of the Messiah Jesus reversed the curse of Adam. For Jesus took on our sins in the Garden and died in our place for our sins. This was spiritual. So if Jesus never died for our sins, all of mankind would be doomed spiritually (including babies that die). Jesus is the Savior. Jesus deserves all the glory.

Last edited:

marke

Sins Not Unto Death:

Important Note:
Please keep in mind that I am not trying to trivialize sin.​

For Jesus took on our sins in the Garden and died in our place for our sins. This was spiritual. So if Jesus never died for our sins, all of mankind would be doomed spiritually (including babies that die). Jesus is the Savior. Jesus deserves all the glory.
I like what you say. To put a fine point on one statement, however, I don't believe Jesus died "as us" so much as He "died for us." There are those who misunderstand that point and claim Jesus could not have died in the place of all sinners or else all sinners would automatically be saved. The truth is He did not die "in the place of all sinners" in that respect but died "for all sinners" so that whosoever would could be saved.

1. 1 Corinthians 15:3
    For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
  2. Galatians 1:4
    Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our father:
  3. 1 John 2:2
    And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
  4. 1 John 4:10
    Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Jason0047

I like what you say. To put a fine point on one statement, however, I don't believe Jesus died "as us" so much as He "died for us." There are those who misunderstand that point and claim Jesus could not have died in the place of all sinners or else all sinners would automatically be saved. The truth is He did not die "in the place of all sinners" in that respect but died "for all sinners" so that whosoever would could be saved.

1. 1 Corinthians 15:3
    For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
  2. Galatians 1:4
    Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our father:
  3. 1 John 2:2
    And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
  4. 1 John 4:10
    Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
I believe in the Provisional Atonement in that Christ died for the sins of the whole world (Meaning Christ died for everyone on a Provisional basis - Except those who will worship the beast in the future - See: Revelation 13:8, Revelation 17:8). In other words, the Provisional Atonement is sort of like if a person paid a price to pay off your debts to write you a check. But you need to cash that check into your account and pay off those of whom you are indebted to. Meaning, a person needs to access Christ's redemption by having a proper faith (Both in their Initial Salvation in being saved by God's grace (Ephesians 2:8-9), and in their Secondary Aspect of Salvation in being saved in Sanctification of the Spirit (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14)). The opposite of Provisional Atonement would be something like Limited Atonement (Which is taught in Calvinism - Which I believe is false) ((For Provisional Atonement verses, see: John 1:29, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Romans 5:6-8.).

The Provisional Atonement is Jesus paying the price for the sins of the entire world so as to offer mankind the free gift of salvation (if they so choose to accept it); Note: Christ's resurrection (to give us a new body not tainted by sin one day), and the ascension to the Father (after Christ telling Mary not to touch Him), and his entering the holy temple by his blood (to be our Heavenly High Priest) is also included in the Provisional Atonement, too.

I also believe in the Substitutionary Atonement. This is the view that Christ died in our place.

Isaiah 53:5-6
“But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”

1 Peter 2:24
“Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.”

marke

I believe in the Provisional Atonement in that Christ died for the sins of the whole world (Meaning Christ died for everyone on a Provisional basis - Except those who will worship the beast in the future - See: Revelation 13:8, Revelation 17:8). In other words, the Provisional Atonement is sort of like if a person paid a price to pay off your debts to write you a check. But you need to cash that check into your account and pay off those of whom you are indebted to. Meaning, a person needs to access Christ's redemption by having a proper faith (Both in their Initial Salvation in being saved by God's grace (Ephesians 2:8-9), and in their Secondary Aspect of Salvation in being saved in Sanctification of the Spirit (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14)). The opposite of Provisional Atonement would be something like Limited Atonement (Which is taught in Calvinism - Which I believe is false) ((For Provisional Atonement verses, see: John 1:29, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Romans 5:6-8.).

The Provisional Atonement is Jesus paying the price for the sins of the entire world so as to offer mankind the free gift of salvation (if they so choose to accept it); Note: Christ's resurrection (to give us a new body not tainted by sin one day), and the ascension to the Father (after Christ telling Mary not to touch Him), and his entering the holy temple by his blood (to be our Heavenly High Priest) is also included in the Provisional Atonement, too.

I also believe in the Substitutionary Atonement. This is the view that Christ died in our place.

Isaiah 53:5-6
“But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”

1 Peter 2:24
“Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.”
Christ bore our sins on the tree, but not our sins only. Jesus also bore the sins of all sinners in the world, but that does not mean He died in their place so that they will not have to die in their own place. Jesus' death provided a way for God to forgive the sins of sinners who repent of their sins and come to Him for forgiveness.

Jason0047

Christ bore our sins on the tree, but not our sins only. Jesus also bore the sins of all sinners in the world, but that does not mean He died in their place so that they will not have to die in their own place. Jesus' death provided a way for God to forgive the sins of sinners who repent of their sins and come to Him for forgiveness.
Right, I am not saying they are personally saved in the Provisional Atonement. The Provisional Atonement only applies if they apply the proper faith. The same is true with Substitutionary Atonement. Jesus died in their place for their sins, but again... they are not personally forgiven or saved until they apply the right kind of faith.

marke

Right, I am not saying they are personally saved in the Provisional Atonement. The Provisional Atonement only applies if they apply the proper faith. The same is true with Substitutionary Atonement. Jesus died in their place for their sins, but again... they are not personally forgiven or saved until they apply the right kind of faith.
The KJV does not employ the word "died in (my) place.) Nor does it use the wording Jesus died as my "substitute." I believe that is because God does not want people to think that just because Jesus died for all sinners then all sinners will automatically be saved. The general belief is that if Jesus died in my place or took my death as a substitute then I do not have to die and will not die because Jesus already took my place. That could possibly be an application but not if drawn to the wrong conclusion that if Jesus died for all lost sinners then no lost sinners will die for their own sins.

Jason0047

I believe there are two aspects of faith or two aspects of salvation that a believer needs to be primarily concerned with in life (If they live out their faith).

#1. Being saved initially by God's grace and mercy (Which is a process of salvation not based on works) (Ephesians 2:8-9) (Note: This aspect of salvation is also foundational because if one sins on rare occasion, one can confess of their sins to Jesus to be forgiven of such sin - 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1).​
#2. Being saved by the Secondary Aspect of Salvation in our accepting and acting upon how that God has chosen us to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit (Which is connected or intertwined with a belief of the truth) (See: 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).​

This is having the right kind of faith to access the Provisional Atonement and or the Substitutionary Atonement.

1 John 1:7 says,

“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7).​

Walking in the light is loving your brother according to the indirect wording found in 1 John 2:9-11. So we have to love our brother in order for the blood of Jesus to CONTINUE to cleanse us from all sin. So as we can see, the atonement is not applied personally to our lives until we have the proper faith.

Jason0047

The KJV does not employ the word "died in (my) place.) Nor does it use the wording Jesus died as my "substitute." I believe that is because God does not want people to think that just because Jesus died for all sinners then all sinners will automatically be saved. The general belief is that if Jesus died in my place or took my death as a substitute then I do not have to die and will not die because Jesus already took my place. That could possibly be an application but not if drawn to the wrong conclusion that if Jesus died for all lost sinners then no lost sinners will die for their own sins.
He did die in our place because it uses other words or synonyms to express that same thing. But it's a Provisional Substitutionary Atonement. When somebody provides a provision for you, that does not mean you will take the provision. For example: I could provide a provision of food for you to get you through the next month, but it is up to you to accept that provision. I paid the price for the food. That's what the Provisional Substitutionary Atonement is talking about. Christ can only be our substitute personally if we apply the right kind of faith that God is requiring of us according to His Word (i.e. be saved by His grace - Ephesians 2:8-9, and to live a holy life by the Spirit - 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).

Last edited:

Jason0047

2 Peter 2:1 talks about how there are false teachers who deny the Lord who bought them. Obviously false teachers are not saved. Yet, the verse says that the Lord has bought them. This can either refer to a Provisional Atonement or to some form of Universal Salvation of All. But seeing Universal Salvationism is clearly false according to the Bible, 2 Peter 2:1 is clearly talking about the Provisional Substitutionary Atonement.

Last edited:

marke

He did die in our place because it uses other words or synonyms to express that same thing. But it's a Provisional Substitutionary Atonement. When somebody provides a provision for you, that does not mean you will take the provision. For example: I could provide a provision of food for you to get you through the next month, but it is up to you to accept that provision. I paid the price for the food. That's what the Provisional Substitutionary Atonement is talking about. Christ can only be our substitute personally if we apply the right kind of faith that God is requiring of us according to His Word (i.e. be saved by His grace - Ephesians 2:8-9, and to live a holy life by the Spirit - 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).
The KJV does not say He died in our place but that He died in His place which was as a spotless sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. God was not looking for a pound of flesh to burn as if He was just as satisfied to burn Jesus as some sinner. God's judgment is not tit for tat as if someone must pay in blood for sins and that someone must either be the sinner or Jesus. That is not what the atonement was all about.

Jesus died for the sins of the whole world so that God could save anyone and everyone who comes to Jesus for salvation. He died for all sinners, not in their place as a substitute so they do not have to die, but as a means by which God could forgive the sins of those who come to Jesus for salvation.

Sinners cannot pay for their own sins by dying. Sinners receive wages for their sins, they do not pay for them. Jesus received the wages for the sins of the whole world so that sinners could be forgiven for their transgressions that had built up the wages of death.

Last edited: