They are:

:first:

Jabez

A Recipe for Yooper Pasties

The Crust :
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup Crisco
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons ice cold water (or enough to make a good pie crust dough; varies due to humidity and other factors)

Cut shortening into flour and salt, slowly add water a little at a time.
Mix with fork until well blended.
Form into 4 balls and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.
Roll each ball out, just as you would do for pie crust. Use plenty of flour while rolling out.
Use a plate as a template and cut around it to make about an 8 inch circle of dough.

The Filling :
1 pound of ground chuck or ground round (1 & 1/2 pounds if you like more meat in it)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup of grated rutabaga (optional only if you can't find rutabagas)
1/4 cup very finely cubed carrots
4-5 cups of diced potatoes
salt & pepper to taste (guesstimate)

Mix the filling together in a large bowl, making sure the meat is thoroughly mixed in. Roll out the dough, and brush the edges with ice water. Put about 3/4 cup of filling onto one side of each crust and fold over. Seal the edge by folding over and fluting, or by pressing with a fork. Put on an ungreased cookie sheet, poke a fork into each for steam to escape. Bake at 375F oven on middle shelf for 45-50 minutes. Crust should be lightly golden brown. Serve hot (or even cold). Most Yoopers like to put catsup on them, too.

Makes 4-6 pasties, depending on how thin your dough is and how much filling you actually put in each one.

***Cheat : If you can't make good pie crust, or are in a hurry, get Jiffy™ brand boxed Pie Crust (one box for every two pasties). It's cheap, quick, and easy, and it tastes really good.

Variation : Some people take all the Filling ingredients and grind them up together, then they make mini pasties about three inches wide with this. Also good, but time consuming.

Variation 2 : Some people also make this like an actual 2-crust pie in a pie pan, but individual pasties are more portable.

:second:

Crytahvn

onion soup:

8 onions
1 stick of butter
1 bouillon beef
2-3 tablespoons flour
mozzarella, parmesan cheese
wheat toast
1 can of franco beef gravy
water
tabasco

put one stick of butter in large frying pan
place onions in pan, cook until clear
crumble large beef bouillon on top while cooking
add salt pepper
a bit of tabasco
add flour, cook until brown
add beef gravy and water stirring constantly with wire whip until flour blends
let simmer at least 45 minutes
place in individual oven bowls,
add toast and cheese
place under broiler until cheese melts to desired stage.
(can use thick slice of toasted french bread if soup is main dish)

:third:

cattyfan

Sweet Potato Pudding

ingredients:

4 cups sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon lime juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup coconut milk
grated rind of lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
1 tablespoon raisins (optional)

Mash potatoes, then add sugar gradually, and then whole eggs, mixing well after each addition. Mix in butter using fork. Add milk. Blend well. Mix in grated rind and lime juice.

Add rum. Mix well. Add salt, baking powder, and cinnamon, sifted together. Mix. Add raisins. Mix well.

Pour this mixture into a greased pan and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. (makes 8 servings.)

Their prizes will be announced as soon as I hear from Crytahvn.

I have to make an honorable mention of several recipes that I didn't choose as winners because they're too close to my own. But, that doesn't make them any worse than the winners' recipes.

cattyfan's Cream and Curry Chicken (serves 4 - 6)

you will need:

6 medium skinless chicken breasts
1 can of Campbell's Cream-of-Chicken soup
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. curry
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
parsley

heat oven to 350 degrees

place chicken breasts in a shallow, lightly greased Pyrex pan with the water. cover with foil and put in oven.

in medium sized sauce pan, mix soup, milk, heavy cream, and spices, and heat slowly to a low temperature.

When chicken has baked for 20 minutes, remove from oven and drain off juices. Leaving chicken in pan, cover with half of sauce. Set aside the remainder of the sauce. Recover pan with foil and bake for 40 more minutes. Remove from oven.

Re-warm remainder of sauce. Remove chicken from pan and place on a serving platter. Pour reheated sauce over chicken on platter.

Garnish with parsley and serve.

From Sibbie:

Sausage Tomato Soup

½ pound bulk Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 ½ ounces) beef broth
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
½ cup picante sauce (I use medium to hot salsa)
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ to ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, broth, tomatoes sauce, picante sauce, sugar, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.

Yield: 6 servings

Beefy Burritos

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
12 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup mild or medium chunky salsa
1 cup milk
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies, drained (I use jalapeños)

In a large skillet, brown beef with onion; drain. Add chili powder; mix well. Spoon ¼ cup beef mixture and ¼ cup cheese down center of each tortilla. Roll up; arrange burritos in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. In a bowl, combine soup, salsa, milk and chilies; mix well. Pour mixture over burritos in baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until hot.

Yield: 6-8 servings

From: Taste of Home Cooking School: 50th Anniversary Cookbook

And, from Elaine:

Mock Shepherd's Pie

1 med. onion, chopped
1 can tomato soup (I like to use sauce)
1lb. ground beef
5 med. potatoes, cooked
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 20 oz. can of green beans
Paprika
(I like to add garlic salt to taste, as well.)

Brown onion in skillet in small amount of cooking oil; add beef, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned. Drain beans; add to beef mixture with soup. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole dish. Mash potatoes; add milk and egg. Add additional salt and pepper (or garlic salt) to taste. Spoon in mounds over beef mixture. Sprinkle paprika over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Twice-Baked Potatoes

6 med. potatoes
2 small onions, chopped (optional)
3 tbsp. butter
Grated Parmesan cheese (other types, such as Mozzerella and cheddar, work well)
Paprika (I like to add Italian seasoning or parsley, garlic salt, and perhaps onion powder, as well.)

Bake potatoes; halve lengthwise. Scoop out centers; mash. (Preserve peels.) Saute onions in butter until tender. Combine potatoes, onions, and cheese (spices are tasty mixed in at this point); mix well. Fill potato shells; sprinkle with paprika (and other spices.) Drizzle with additional melted butter. Chill until ready to use. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.

Thank you, everyone, for participating! It was fun and the recipes were delicious! :D

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by erinmarie

I've made Sibbie's sausage tomato soup. It's yummy.

Yes. It is! If it hadn't been so close to my own recipe, it would have been a winner. I wanted to have ones that I've never tried before be the winners.

the Sibbie

Hmm. I might try to make the Sweet potato pudding, since I have some sweet potatos that need used up. But I don't have lime juice or coconut milk. Where do you get coconut milk? I guess I could use lemon juice and maybe Tropical Coloda V8 Splash Smoothie, if I'm desperate.

the Sibbie

Originally posted by ebenz47037

Yes. It is! If it hadn't been so close to my own recipe, it would have been a winner. I wanted to have ones that I've never tried before be the winners.
I guess I better study your recipes! :chuckle: Sometime in the future I want to try your recipe for tortilla wraps.

erinmarie

I've never made anything with sweet potatoes in my life. But didn't we have something at Thanksgiving with sweet potatoes Sibs?

the Sibbie

Originally posted by erinmarie

I've never made anything with sweet potatoes in my life. But didn't we have something at Thanksgiving with sweet potatoes Sibs?
I don't remember. nice avatar btw!:chuckle:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sibbie

Hmm. I might try to make the Sweet potato pudding, since I have some sweet potatos that need used up. But I don't have lime juice or coconut milk. Where do you get coconut milk? I guess I could use lemon juice and maybe Tropical Coloda V8 Splash Smoothie, if I'm desperate.

Can you buy whole coconuts in your local grocery store? If so, have :turbo: take a hammer and screwdriver to it. And, then, pour the liquid out. There's your coconut milk. The grocery stores should have lime juice. You know the little plastic lemons? They should have plastic limes too.

erinmarie

I always squeeze a little lime juice into my orange juice and also in my salsa, so I always keep some on hand.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I keep lemon juice on hand because it's a good preservative.

C

cattyfan

coconut milk is in the alcohol department, as it's used in a lot of tropical drinks. Some grocery stores also put it in the dry goods (baking and spice) sections since some recipes also call for it.

My favorite part of that recipe is still the mystery of the rum. it says put some in, but gives no clue as to how much! the person I got the recipe from says the woman on the island said "put some in the pudding and some in the cook." well, okay!

Last edited:

the Sibbie

Originally posted by ebenz47037

Can you buy whole coconuts in your local grocery store? If so, have :turbo: take a hammer and screwdriver to it. And, then, pour the liquid out. There's your coconut milk. The grocery stores should have lime juice. You know the little plastic lemons? They should have plastic limes too.
Ok thanks! Limes aren't the problem. But yeah the store has coconuts. I've never prepared a coconut before, but I've been meaning to try it. Is it hard to scrape out the flesh inside?

the Sibbie

Originally posted by cattyfan

coconut milk is in the alcohol department, as it's used in a lot of tropical drinks. Some grocery stores also put it in the dry goods (baking and spice) sections since some recipes also call for it.

My favorite part of that recipe is still the mystery of the rum. it says put some in, but gives no clue as to how much! the person I got the recipe says the woman on the island said "put some in the pudding and some in the cook." well, okay!
:chuckle: I guess I'll have to try that sometime.;)

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Winners' Prize Selections

Winners' Prize Selections

:first:

Jabez chose a bronze subscription. Since he's already a subscriber, he donated his prize to Tatie.

:second:

Crytahvn chose a smiley. :granite:

:third:

Cattyfan also chose a smiley. :emarie:

Thanks guys!