Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
The point of TOL is to debate important issues, like whether gays are equal to, or lesser than, dog vomit.

Exactly!

Great post, beanieboy! :up:

Context

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
MrsDearDelmar said:
Wow, how'd ya get him to admit that??? Great pick Poly!!!

I know. You think maybe we're finally getting through to him? :bannana:

Carver

Ya'll seem to take a lot of pleasure in being derisive towards those that I had thought we were commanded to love. Why is that? Am I reading Scripture totally wrong? Because the last time I checked, being happy someone was equating themselves to dog vomit wasn't the proper definition of love.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Carver said:
Ya'll seem to take a lot of pleasure in being derisive towards those that I had thought we were commanded to love. Why is that? Am I reading Scripture totally wrong?

Maybe so. Try reading this one.

Romans 12:9
<SUP id=en-NKJV-28252>9</SUP>Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

Carver

Okay, how about the next verse?

Romans 12:10
Love one another with brotherly affection; outdo one another in showing honor.

But anyway, even verse 10 is irrelevant here, because until verse 17 it is talking about how Christians should behave towards Christians. Beanieboy is not a Christian, so neither verse 9 nor verse 10 should apply to him. But, as you seem to want to apply 9 to him, you need to be consistent and go with 10 as well.

Carver

I once knew a lady named Poly
Who seemed to be quite pure and holy
But my post, she ignored
Perhaps she was bored
I'll never know, I guess I'll eat a canole

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Carver said:
Okay, how about the next verse?

Romans 12:10
Love one another with brotherly affection; outdo one another in showing honor.
What about it? It says what it says. It doesn't take away from the fact that we are to hate evil.

But anyway, even verse 10 is irrelevant here, because until verse 17 it is talking about how Christians should behave towards Christians.
So we are to hate Christian evil and love non-Christian evil. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Evil is evil...period. Paul is talking about how Christians are to act and he tells us that Christians are to hate evil.

Carver said:
I once knew a lady named Poly
Who seemed to be quite pure and holy
But my post, she ignored
Perhaps she was bored
I'll never know, I guess I'll eat a canole

Or perhaps she didn't see it.

I realize that you feel that what you have to say is so important around here that there's no possible way that it could get overlooked but newsflash sometimes posts get overlooked at times, even yours.

Now go eat your canole.

Carver

Poly said:
What about it? It says what it says. It doesn't take away from the fact that we are to hate evil.
Yes, we are to hate evil, but you seem to take it to a whole new level and hate the evil-doer as well. Hopefully I am misinterpreting your zeal.
So we are to hate Christian evil and love non-Christian evil. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Who said anything about loving non-Christian evil. Until a non-Christian becomes a Christian, their acts of evil, however great or small, and most definitly however disgusting they may be to certain Christians, are simply irrelevant. Jesus did not say, "Go and perfect the world that they might be Christians." He said, "Go and make disciples of all nations." First get them to Christ, and Christ takes care of the rest.
Evil is evil...period. Paul is talking about how Christians are to act and he tells us that Christians are to hate evil.
Yes, and he tells us to rebuke the brother who does evil. But when he says 'brother,' he's talking about fellow Christians. He's saying that if a fellow Christian goes astray, we should correct him, and rebuke is the method he seems to endorse. However, non-Christians, as they are not brothers or sisters in Christ, don't yet qualify for our rebuke. I'm not saying we should be thrilled that BB, or anyone else, is a homosexual. But focusing on the homosexuality and rebuking it is only appropriate if they are a Christian falling away. With non-Christians, homosexual or not, our focus should be getting them to Christ, and let Christ worry about their sins.
Or perhaps she didn't see it.
And perhaps I figured you hadn't seen it, and wanted to bump it up the list so that you might.
I realize that you feel that what you have to say is so important around here that there's no possible way that it could get overlooked but newsflash sometimes posts get overlooked at times, even yours.
Again, I knew it got overlooked, so I gave it one last chance to be looked at, and apparently, it was.
Now go eat your canole.
Can't, don't know where they make them in MN. I used it only because it rhymed (well, sort of). Not too many things rhyme with Poly.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Carver said:
Can't, don't know where they make them in MN. I used it only because it rhymed (well, sort of). Not too many things rhyme with Poly.
Her name used to be Polycarpadvo, as in Polycarp advocate, and Polycarp has a short o.
So Poly doesn't rhyme with holy or canole or guacamole for that matter. It rhymes with golly and dolly and jolly and volley. ;)

...and folly. :shocked:

Carver

Hmm, good point, my mental rhyming engine apparently needs a tune up.

Polycarp, eh? My dad caught a carp (the fish) for V.B.S. several years ago (I've forgotten why). What was the fish's name? That's right, Polycarp.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Carver said:
Yes, we are to hate evil, but you seem to take it to a whole new level and hate the evil-doer as well. Hopefully I am misinterpreting your zeal.

It's not a whole new level.

Psalm 139:21-22

Do not I hate them that hate thee, Oh Lord? I hate them with a perfect hatred.
2 Chronicles "....Should you help the ungodly and love them that hate the Lord?

Who said anything about loving non-Christian evil. Until a non-Christian becomes a Christian, their acts of evil, however great or small, and most definitly however disgusting they may be to certain Christians, are simply irrelevant. Jesus did not say, "Go and perfect the world that they might be Christians." He said, "Go and make disciples of all nations." First get them to Christ, and Christ takes care of the rest.

Yes, and he tells us to rebuke the brother who does evil. But when he says 'brother,' he's talking about fellow Christians.

He's saying that if a fellow Christian goes astray, we should correct him, and rebuke is the method he seems to endorse. However, non-Christians, as they are not brothers or sisters in Christ, don't yet qualify for our rebuke. I'm not saying we should be thrilled that BB, or anyone else, is a homosexual. But focusing on the homosexuality and rebuking it is only appropriate if they are a Christian falling away. With non-Christians, homosexual or not, our focus should be getting them to Christ, and let Christ worry about their sins.
The word brother isn't in that verse. It is a general admonition to Christians. He tells us to abhor evil and cling to what is good.

And perhaps I figured you hadn't seen it, and wanted to bump it up the list so that you might.

Again, I knew it got overlooked, so I gave it one last chance to be looked at, and apparently, it was.
Then why did acuse me of ignoring it? :)

There once was a lady named Poly
Who was always exposing a folly
She loved TOL
As everyone could tell
And she's glad her name is not Wally. :freak:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
...and folly. :shocked:

I borrowed this one for my extremely poor limerick above.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Poly said:
I borrowed this one for my extremely poor limerick above.
You were doing so well,
till the end when it fell

...apart. :eek:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo said: