New homeschooler questions

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Hello, my wife and I are about 90% decided on homeschooling. We have some friends around here who seem to be very good at it, and I'm sure would be happy to help us get started, but I thought I would ask a few things in here also.

I read docrob57's thread and that is helpful, one of my questions was about curiculum, and A-beka seems to be well spoken of? The Christian school they go to now uses A-beka, I'm pretty sure.

We have a 5yr old, (preschool) and an 8yr old.(3rd grade) School has already started, should we let them go this year, or is it a big deal to start up now?

Thanks for any comments, I have many more questions but I'm at work.

(in edit I fixed the name "docrob57", I had accidently put in "Dr5020" there)

Last edited:

the Sibbie

Cool! Turbo and I plan on homeschooling, but it will be a while yet. Our first child is due in six days. Abeka has been known for being somewhat advanced...which isn't a bad thing. One curriculum that my mom uses is called "Switched on Schoolhouse." Most of the reading and lesson plans are on software for the computer. Not sure if it comes with workbooks or if it's all done on the computer.

In highschool, I used a variety of books, Abeka, Bob Jones, Konos and Saxon for Math. Not really sure which ones are better...just throwing out some types for you to consider.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vaquero45 said:
Hello, my wife and I are about 90% decided on homeschooling. We have some friends around here who seem to be very good at it, and I'm sure would be happy to help us get started, but I thought I would ask a few things in here also.

I read Dr.5020's thread and that is helpful, one of my questions was about curiculum, and A-beka seems to be well spoken of? The Christian school they go to now uses A-beka, I'm pretty sure.

We have a 5yr old, (preschool) and an 8yr old.(3rd grade) School has already started, should we let them go this year, or is it a big deal to start up now?

Thanks for any comments, I have many more questions but I'm at work. Jeff

Why not go ahead and start now? It's the beginning of the year (although I'd recommend you take them out even if it were the middle :D ) and a great time for a fresh start.

Btw, I've used more A beka than any other curriculum and I've always been very pleased with it. Other major ones I've used are BJU, Christian Liberty and I love Apologia Science.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Start now.

We don't settle on one curriculum. Each year we mix and match all the different choices that best fit our individual kids needs.

We have 6 kids. :)

And...
It's never too late to pull them out of government school.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
What thread were you talking about anyways? Can you post the link?

Ahhh! it was docrob57 who I was talking about! Sorry, somehow I switched you two when I went to post here. Explains why I called you "Dr" also. I'm going to edit that post, sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

elohiym

Start now.

We're using A Beka with my nursery and kindergarten age children--2,3, and 5. So far, we are pleased, but need to adjust for my daughter who reads beyond K5 level already.

Peace

Nineveh

Merely Christian
We've used ABeka for going on 4 years now :) We took our daughter out of a Christian school 2 weeks into her 2nd grade year.

Alpha Omega looks really good too, we haven't used anything from them yet, but all I hear are good things :)

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the ideas and help guys. Gives us lots of stuff to look into. Sounds like it will not be a big deal to just go for it, instead of waiting. My wife is meeting with a friend of ours on friday who has been doing this for probably 15 years and her kids are great. Really impressive. Also she is going to a meeting of a bunch of local homeschoolers on the 26th. So far we think the plan is to start in October. Gives us a bit of time to set up an area, get supplies, and learn a few things.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
the Sibbie said:
Cool! Turbo and I plan on homeschooling, but it will be a while yet. Our first child is due in six days. Abeka has been known for being somewhat advanced...which isn't a bad thing. One curriculum that my mom uses is called "Switched on Schoolhouse." Most of the reading and lesson plans are on software for the computer. Not sure if it comes with workbooks or if it's all done on the computer.

In highschool, I used a variety of books, Abeka, Bob Jones, Konos and Saxon for Math. Not really sure which ones are better...just throwing out some types for you to consider.
"Switched on Schoolhouse." is all on the computer but you can print it out if you wish. This is helpfull for road trips. They also have the same curriculum in book form but it has a different title. I think it is called Alpha Omega.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Thanks again to everyone for all the input. Well, we jumped in with both feet. Gave notice to the Christian school they are attending that this is the last month. Some friends who homeschool have been helping my wife with things, and I am about to list all the suggestions here, and start bouncing around the internet to look into them. It's kind of scary, but we are excited about it too. :) Some people think we are nuts, and some think it is great! LOL

Thanks

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vaquero45 said:
Thanks again to everyone for all the input. Well, we jumped in with both feet. Gave notice to the Christian school they are attending that this is the last month. Some friends who homeschool have been helping my wife with things, and I am about to list all the suggestions here, and start bouncing around the internet to look into them. It's kind of scary, but we are excited about it too. :) Some people think we are nuts, and some think it is great! LOL

Thanks, Jeff
Alright!!! :bannana:

elohiym

Vaquero45 said:

Thanks, Jeff
An excellent choice, Jeff. God bless your family as you start this adventure.

Peace,

Steve

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
You might want to check out FACE - Family Academy of Christian Education. I notice you are from Colorado - they meet on Fridays in the North Denver area - All homeschoolers - Mom's teach various classes and it's an umbrella school.
We use a variety of curriculum for our 5 children. Including SOS. Like Knight said you tailor the type of resourse to the childs learning style, personality, etc.
Homeshooling is the most loving thing you could ever do for your child other than pointing them to Christ and His word!
Blessings!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
CRASH said:
You might want to check out FACE - Family Academy of Christian Education. I notice you are from Colorado - they meet on Fridays in the North Denver area - All homeschoolers - Mom's teach various classes and it's an umbrella school.
We use a variety of curriculum for our 5 children. Including SOS. Like Knight said you tailor the type of resourse to the childs learning style, personality, etc.
Homeshooling is the most loving thing you could ever do for your child other than pointing them to Christ and His word!
Blessings!
That and finding them a good Christian spouse!

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I just found out my 8 year old daughter has been telling people we are homeschooling because we can't afford karate classes??? LOL!!!!

I don't have the foggiest clue where she got that idea! LOL What must people think? "These guys really take their karate seriously!" Yes the Christian school they go to was expensive, but money had almost nothing to do with our choice.

Lots of Christians think karate is evil anyway, but wait till they hear this... Gotta set her straight ASAP. :)

Just thought that was funny, had to tell someone.

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vaquero45 said:
I just found out my 8 year old daughter has been telling people we are homeschooling because we can't afford karate classes??? LOL!!!!

I don't have the foggiest clue where she got that idea! LOL What must people think? "These guys really take their karate seriously!" Yes the Christian school they go to was expensive, but money had almost nothing to do with our choice.

Lots of Christians think karate is evil anyway, but wait till they hear this... Gotta set her straight ASAP. :)

Just thought that was funny, had to tell someone.

Jeff
Glad you shared that one brother :up:
rep points for you!