Theology Club: New Dispensation Beginning With the Ministry of the Lord Jesus

Jerry Shugart

Here we read that the law was given UNTIL Jesus Christ:

"The Law was added because of transgressions, until the seed should come to whom the promise was made...which is Jesus Christ" (Gal. 3: 16, 19).

The dispensation of the law was to last only until the beginning of the ministry of the Lord Jesus--"the law was added until the seed should come...."

Sir Robert Anderson wrote, "Every one recognises that the advent of Christ marked a signal 'change of dispensation,' as it is termed: that is, a change in God's dealing with man" (Anderson, The Silence of God [Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, 1978], p. 177).

He also wrote that "In the Mosaic economy, religion and morality had prominence...These were like guides which were followed in the darkness till the goal was reached to which they led. The Mosaic economy was a state of tutelage which ended with the coming of Christ" (Ibid., p.136).

The dispensation that began with the ministry of Christ could rightly be called "the dispensation of the Word and Spirit."

http://www.twonewcovenants.com/dme/dispensationalism6.html

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

"The Law was added because of transgressions, until the seed should come to whom the promise was made...which is Jesus Christ" (Gal. 3: 16, 19).

The dispensation of the law was to last only until the beginning of the ministry of the Lord Jesus--"the law was added until the seed should come...."

Sir Robert Anderson wrote, "Every one recognises that the advent of Christ marked a signal 'change of dispensation,' as it is termed: that is, a change in God's dealing with man" (Anderson, The Silence of God [Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, 1978], p. 177).

He also wrote that "In the Mosaic economy, religion and morality had prominence...These were like guides which were followed in the darkness till the goal was reached to which they led. The Mosaic economy was a state of tutelage which ended with the coming of Christ" (Ibid., p.136).

The dispensation that began with the ministry of Christ could rightly be called "the dispensation of the Word and Spirit."

Interesting perspective

Danoh

Of course, dear old brother Anderson was simply...wrong on that...

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 8:1 When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him. 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. 8:3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 8:4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Mark 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

You see that - and He made Himself of no reputation; identifying Himself with transgressors under the Law.

And as late as the following, He once more returns to what He had said back in Matthew 5:20.

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

Not to leave out what the writer of Hebrews also said of this issue...

Hebrews 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

And the overwhelming majority of MML&J takes place...before...He went to the Cross.

To Proverbs 27:17, bro.

Jerry Shugart

Of course, dear old brother Anderson was simply...wrong on that...

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Of course you confuse the dispensation of the law with the covenant of the law. Anyone with an open mind can see that the following passage from the Bible proves that something concerning the law came to an end with the ministry of the Lord Jesus:

"The Law was added because of transgressions, until the seed should come to whom the promise was made...which is Jesus Christ" (Gal. 3:16,19).

There is a difference between a covenant and a dispensation.

Jerry Shugart

Sometimes the dispensations will overlap the covenants?

Let us look at the "dispensation" of "moral responsibility."

In the Scofield Study Bible we read:

"On man's part the continuing requirement is obedience to the revelation of God. This obedience is a stewardship of faith. Although the divine revelation unfolds progressively, the deposit of truth in the earlier time periods is not discarded, rather it is cumulative. Thus conscience (moral responsibility) is an abiding truth in human life (Ro.2:15; 9:1; 2Cor.1:12; 4:2) although it does not continue as a dispensation."

Hope this helps!

DAN P

Of course you confuse the dispensation of the law with the covenant of the law. Anyone with an open mind can see that the following passage from the Bible proves that something concerning the law came to an end with the ministry of the Lord Jesus:

"The Law was added because of transgressions, until the seed should come to whom the promise was made...which is Jesus Christ" (Gal. 3:16,19).

There is a difference between a covenant and a dispensation.

Hi Jerry and did I miss where the Law of Moses is called a dispensation , please correct me as I am listenning !!

I believe that Acts 33:46 and Acts 18:6 and Acts 28:28 still show that the Law was still been kept and 1 Cor 15:8 also show that the Law still was in effect !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Hi Jerry and did I miss where the Law of Moses is called a dispensation , please correct me as I am listenning !!

I believe that Acts 33:46 and Acts 18:6 and Acts 28:28 still show that the Law was still been kept and 1 Cor 15:8 also show that the Law still was in effect !!

The following passage from the Bible proves that something concerning the law came to an end with the ministry of the Lord Jesus:

"The Law was added because of transgressions, until the seed should come to whom the promise was made...which is Jesus Christ" (Gal. 3:16,19).​

The Covenant of the Law (Mosaic Covenant) was still in effect but the "dispensation of the law" had come to an end.

Let us look at the "dispensation" of "moral responsibility" in order to understand the relationships between the different dispensations.

In the Scofield Study Bible we read:

"On man's part the continuing requirement is obedience to the revelation of God. This obedience is a stewardship of faith. Although the divine revelation unfolds progressively, the deposit of truth in the earlier time periods is not discarded, rather it is cumulative. Thus conscience (moral responsibility) is an abiding truth in human life (Ro.2:15; 9:1; 2Cor.1:12; 4:2) although it does not continue as a dispensation."

Danoh

dan p

Luke 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

Hebrews 3:2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.

3:5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 4:5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Clearly - unless one is so insistently literal that one ends up ever in need of a literal verse - Moses was the Dispenser of the Law - for the Law as given, or dispensed...by Moses...to give them, or dispense to them their portion or dispensation of meat in its' due season, or Dispensation.

DAN P

Luke 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

Hebrews 3:2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.

3:5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 4:5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Clearly - unless one is so insistently literal that one ends up ever in need of a literal verse - Moses was the Dispenser of the Law - for the Law as given, or dispensed...by Moses...to give them, or dispense to them their portion or dispensation of meat in its' due season, or Dispensation.

Him and I have never seen where the Law of Moses is called a DISPENSATION !!

So lets have a verse !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Him and I have never seen where the Law of Moses is called a DISPENSATION !!

So lets have a verse !!

There are no verses which directly say that the Law of Moses is a dispensation. However, in the following verse Paul speaks of the purpose of the giving of the law:

"Wherefore, the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ"
(Gal.3:24).​

The Greek word translated "schoolmaster" is paidagogos, and a paidagogos was a disciplinarian who was given the responsibility of giving children moral training and keeping them from the evils of the world. The purpose of the Law was to place the children of Israel under the precise discipline of the law, and in this way the people would be a "holy nation."

Do you think that the only dispensations of God in history are those which are specifically referred to as a "dispensation"?

Thanks!

Shasta

I am surprised and gratified to see someone in your camp say that moral responsibility (conscience) does not end. Some I have spoken with have represented "Paul's gospel" as antinomian. This idea was taught by the Gnostics later and by that heresiarch of the Second Century, Marcion. He like many of your camp rejected (as applicable to us) all writings other than Paul's on the ground that the other apostolic writers taught "the law." In fact, if you read what they said it is clear that Paul and the other apostles did not abandon the appeal to conscience and moral responsibility. The proclamation of the Mosaic law proper ended with John the Baptist (Luke 16:16) so neither Jesus nor the 12 taught "the law." John the Baptist was the last of the Old Testament prophets.

As Scofield indicates in your citation the moral law transcends all dispensations as it is an "abiding truth of human life." Murder was wrong already even when the first murder was committed by Cain. It did not become wrong when the 10 commandments were written.

Jerry Shugart

I am surprised and gratified to see someone in your camp say that moral responsibility (conscience) does not end.

Greetings Shasta!

Yes, "moral responsibility" remains an abiding principle in our lives. Paul talks about these things at Romans 2:6-16 and according to him those who will judged on the basis of moral responsibilty according to their deeds (for the Jews "the law," v.12; and for the Gentiles their "conscience," v.15). And those who do not "continue in well doing" (v.7) and sin against "law" then that person will not be justified in the eyes of the LORD:

"...wherefore by works of law shall no flesh be declared righteous before Him, for through law is a knowledge of sin" (Ro.2:20).​

However, believers will not be judged on the basis of "law" in regard to our righteousness:

"For Christ is an end of law for righteousness to every one who is believing"
(Ro.10:4).​

In the following verse Paul tells us exactly how that is made possible:

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" (2 Cor.5:21).​

The proclamation of the Mosaic law proper ended with John the Baptist (Luke 16:16) so neither Jesus nor the 12 taught "the law." John the Baptist was the last of the Old Testament prophets.

No, with John the "dispensation" of the law ended but the covenant of law remained in effect, as witnessed by the Lord Jesus' words at Matthew 23:1-3.

However, Paul made it clear that the remnant of believers were no longer judged by the works of the law:

"So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace"
(Ro.11:5-6).​

As Scofield indicates in your citation the moral law transcends all dispensations as it is an "abiding truth of human life." Murder was wrong already even when the first murder was committed by Cain. It did not become wrong when the 10 commandments were written.

EXACTLY!

Last edited: