ECT Is this not an example of what some might say is, works salvation?

Cross Reference

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" 2 Corinthians 13:5 (KJV)

oatmeal

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" 2 Corinthians 13:5 (KJV)

No, it is an exhortation to those who have been saved to make sure that they are in fellowship with God, that is walking in the light, the truth.

the entire epistles of John speak on that subject. I John 1:3-5

OCTOBER23

We must constantly examine ourselves and our lives and our thoughts.

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection:

lest that by any means, when I have preached to others,

I myself should be a castaway.

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself

against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought

to the obedience of Christ; {imaginations: or, reasonings }

oatmeal

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself

Receiving salvation is but the first step in our walk with God.

I Timothy 2:4

Cross Reference

I understand but, why if salvation is all by God's "unmerited favor"?

oatmeal

I understand but, why if salvation is all by God's "unmerited favor"?

Salvation is absolutely and solely by God's grace, but having received the gift of salvation God expects us to do something with it.

Ephesians 2:8-9 salvation a gift

Ephesians 2:10 now that we have the gift God has works laid out for us based on that gift.

You dad bought you a bicycle, just because, does he not expect you to ride it and care for it, not let it collect dust in the back corner of the garden shed?

God expects us to enjoy our gift of salvation, not sit on it. Snow skiing is fun, but it takes work, some people like bowling, but it too takes work

praying is work, cheering someone is work

csuguy

Matthew 7:21-27 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many [n]miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and [o]acts on them, [p]may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the [q]floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not [r]act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

Cross Reference

Salvation is absolutely and solely by God's grace, but having received the gift of salvation God expects us to do something with it.

Ephesians 2:8-9 salvation a gift

Ephesians 2:10 now that we have the gift God has works laid out for us based on that gift.

You dad bought you a bicycle, just because, does he not expect you to ride it and care for it, not let it collect dust in the back corner of the garden shed?

God expects us to enjoy our gift of salvation, not sit on it. Snow skiing is fun, but it takes work, some people like bowling, but it too takes work

praying is work, cheering someone is work

What were you saved for, Oats?

Cross Reference

For what purpose?

Briefly, to be loved by God, to love God, to fellowship with God and His son and fellow believers, to walk with my Heavenly Father and serve Him as a son of God, I John 3:1-2, Ephesians 2:10

Then it should no problem for you explain this from John:
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. . . . . .

. . . I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:3-6, 12-15 (KJV)

nikolai_42

Then it should no problem for you explain this from John:
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. . . . . .

. . . I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:3-6, 12-15 (KJV)

Why, then, was Jesus' own declaration as to others' recognition of identification with Him one of love, not obedience?

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
John 13:35

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why, then, was Jesus' own declaration as to others' recognition of identification with Him one of love, not obedience?

"He that saith, 'I know him' and keepeth not his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him." (John)

Cross Reference

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
John 13:35

Does not obedience carry with it that act of love *to God and others as result? If we say we love, do we or can we if we are not obedient? Is He not the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him? Was not Jesus, obedient? Obedience becomes the issue if love is to be the result.

*to = action

meshak

BANNED
Banned
It is just amazing how so many churches come up with abusing Paul's teachings and disregard Jesus' simple word to obey His commands.

How disgraceful.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The bottom line of their disgraceful faith is disobedience to lure worldly Christians to their churches.

It is all about popularity.