How do I officially start?

prayzgod

I've been teaching my 4 year old how to read. He is almost at a second grade reading level, and is really picking it up.

I'd like to "officially" start homeschooling him when he turns 5.

I think I might look into the kindergarden Sonlight curriculum.

However, what I'm wondering, is - Do I have to contact the school board (or some other place) for my county and let them know I'm homeschooling my child? And, what about when he's 18? How does he get his diploma? :confused:

beanieboy

18? That kid will have it by the time he's 8!

As a side note, has anyone heard that kids shouldn't start reading until they are 8 or so? My sister in law is doing that for her kid, and I don't have kids, and don't know enough about teaching them and what's best, etc. Is this hooey?

I'm really curious to see what you have to tell prayzgod

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by beanieboy

As a side note, has anyone heard that kids shouldn't start reading until they are 8 or so? My sister in law is doing that for her kid, and I don't have kids, and don't know enough about teaching them and what's best, etc. Is this hooey?

I'm really curious to see what you have to tell prayzgod

When my daughter was in second grade (in public school), her teacher told me that I shouldn't have allowed her to learn to read and write before the end of first grade because she was "too smart" and wouldn't slow down to stay even with the rest of her class.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Ho do I officially start?

Re: Ho do I officially start?

Originally posted by prayzgod

I've been teaching my 4 year old how to read. He is almost at a second grade reading level, and is really picking it up.

:thumb: Cool! What kind of stories does he like the best? Try getting lots of books that teach character-building skills. You can generally find them at used bookstores, yard sales, and online. :D

I'd like to "officially" start homeschooling him when he turns 5.

What are the requirements for your state? You can check out www.hslda.org to see.

I think I might look into the kindergarden Sonlight curriculum.

I've never used them. We started homeschooling two weeks into second grade. But, I've heard lots of good things about Sonlight.

However, what I'm wondering, is - Do I have to contact the school board (or some other place) for my county and let them know I'm homeschooling my child? And, what about when he's 18? How does he get his diploma? :confused:

PM me. If you need help getting started, let me know where you are and I will look it up for you. If you'd like to try some homemade curriculum, let me know as well. I've done that and love it.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I think that Poly homeschools her kids. You might ask her which curriculums are good. I know that A Beka is a good conservative curriculum but I hear its sort of on the high end of the price scale.

Bob Enyart and his wife use Christian Libery Academy (1 800 READ-121) and aop.com (Alpha-Omega's Switched-On Schoolhouse, CD/Web-based curriculum) for their family. I have no idea on the cost of those but if Bob uses them, you can bet that they are very good.

And I'm sure that the people who put out the curriculums would know who you need to notify about what and how graduation works, etc.

Hope this helps!

Resting in Him,
Clete

prayzgod

beanieboy,
Thank you. :eek: That is one of the reasons I'm going to homeschool; that way we can go at HIS pace. :)

Hooey to the extreme. :nono: That's just the liberals trying to further dumbify (like the word I made up? :D ) our children. What is currently being taught in the high universities used to be taught to elementary children. Furthermore, I was just reading about one of the translators of the KJV bible, who had read the whole bible through (the Bishop's Bible, I'm assuming) several times by the time he was 5. :think:

ebenz47037,
When my daughter was in second grade (in public school), her teacher told me that I shouldn't have allowed her to learn to read and write before the end of first grade because she was "too smart" and wouldn't slow down to stay even with the rest of her class.
A big reason why I'm only going to do homeschool. I don't want some liberal teacher holding my children back in their potential. I started homeschooling myself when I turned 16, and it was great. I was able to spend as little, or as much time as I needed on the different subjects. For example, 10 minutes on psychology, and an hour on math...

Cool! What kind of stories does he like the best?
Right now he seems pretty drawn to stories with lots of talking animals. He's also getting into Dr. Seuss.

Try getting lots of books that teach character-building skills. You can generally find them at used bookstores, yard sales, and online.
Good idea. :)

What are the requirements for your state? You can check out www.hslda.org to see. PM me. If you need help getting started...
Thank you. I've looked on that site in the past, and do have some questions. I'll PM you shortly. Thanks for the help. :)

Clete Pfeiffer,
Bob Enyart and his wife use Christian Libery Academy (1 800 READ-121) and aop.com (Alpha-Omega's Switched-On Schoolhouse, CD/Web-based curriculum) for their family. I have no idea on the cost of those but if Bob uses them, you can bet that they are very good.
Hmmm, thanks for the tip. :) I'll look into it.

cravescheese

We are on our second year of Abeka DVD option. We had my son in a Christian school that used Abeka as the curriculum for K and 1st and when we moved we decided to homeschool and try their DVD option.

Opinion:

Very pleased, he loves his classes and is more enthusiastic about school than before. He has markedly improved in all academic areas and especially in Bible. His sunday school teachers are generally amazed. He loves being able to get done as soon as he can and have time to be a kid and play.

I think it is a great option for first time HS'ers and though more expensive, well worth it.

prayzgod

Melody and cravescheese,
I used ChristCenteredCurriculum for mine when they were preschoolers and I'm using Rod and Staff now.

Abeka DVD option - I think it is a great option for first time HS'ers and though more expensive, well worth it.
Thank you both for the resources and info. I'll look into this. :)