Homeschool myths...

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
I believed certain myths before I decided to homeschool.

I didn't begin homeschooling my boys until they were in 10th and 6th grades. Prior to that time, they attended a Christian school where I also worked for the majority of their school years. Our school also hosted a homeschool umbrella. My opinion was, for the most part, that it was fine but that it was an artificial environment. After all, what about socialization? How would your kids ever learn to stay on a schedule? I was also concerned that parents would attempt it who were not "qualified" and their kids would suffer the consequences. I was the first one in the room to state emphatically, "I could never homeschool my kids!".

Myth #1: Socialization - I'm preaching to the choir, I know. Talk about an artificial environment! Look at the public school system - where and when else in life are you going to segregated kids by age and, on top of it, expect them to get along? I would say most parents, Christian or non-Christian, somewhat screen their kids' friends and say "Yay" or "Nay" to social interaction accordingly. Parents who send their kids to school give up control of that choice between 8am and 3pm. And don't think Christian schools are that much different these days! It's exactly why we took my oldest son out when we did.

Myth #2: Your kids won't know how to stay on a schedule - Think back to when you were a teenager. How easy was it to wake up for school? You did it anyway, right? How easy was it to wake up for a day at Six Flags or the beach? How easy was it to wake up for the first day on a new job? We do what we like to do easily and we force ourselves to do the things we need to do. If anything, homeschooled kids have a greater respect for all things - even schedules! My oldest is practically nocturnal. When he went to college and said he had an 8am class I figured he'd drop it after the first day. But he did what he had to do (made his mommy proud) and does a fine job of sticking to a schedule!

Myth #3: Parents aren't "qualified" to teach their children at home - Translated, this means, "Parents haven't been properly indoctrinated themselves, so how can we expect them to properly indoctrinate their kids?", or another translation, "The school system only gets $ when the student's fanny is in a chair". We know our strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I use a tutor for writing. I find the curriculum to be so excellent, in most cases, that I learn (or re-learn) right along with my son!

Myth #4: I could never homeschool my kids - At least not until your desire to get your kids out of one setting and into another becomes greater than your fear! Some parents make a move from public school to Christian or private school. I'm telling you, folks, this may be the proverbial frying pan to fire progression. Anyway, I had no such alternative. They had attended Christian school from preschool. I attribute my change of heart solely to God, because it was as if a switch had been flipped. That's not to say that every day was bliss. My youngest challenges my every single day. Some days we just "get through it". Thankfully, there are enough "great" and "good" days to offset those days.

What are some other myths out there about homeschooling? I chose these because they were my own prior to my decision to homeschool. :cool:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What are some other myths out there about homeschooling? I chose these because they were my own prior to my decision to homeschool. :cool:

Myth #4: Some people can't afford it.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Myth #4: Some people can't afford it.

Absolutely! I don't know that I bought anything new my first year. I might have spent $200 on curriculum for both boys. When you compare that to the cell phone bill or the satellite tv bill, it's a drop in the bucket!

Not only that, I quit a job at the boys' school to start homeschooling. Not exactly small, but not like a secular job - I was the Finance Manager. So we started living on only my husband's paycheck from the time we decided to homeschool. We survived and didn't have to eat beans for every meal!

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fantastic post, mmstroud!

STP,
Regarding curriculum...
It's done according to the parents' philosophy. Some parents pick and choose different subjects on their own. Some parents choose a curriculum that has been put together by some entity like Abekka, etc.

One of the beauties of homeschooling is that you have the freedom to teach how and what you want, according to the kids' needs. And unlike public schooling that finishes some subjects and moves on (think of geography, e.g.), leaving it mostly to fade from the kids' memories, in homeschooling we continue teaching until a particular subject is mastered. And along the way (and after), things are built on that so they are not forgotten (generally).

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Who produces the curriculum? Just curious, I have no knowledge about homeschooling.

My first year was a hodge-podge of used curriculum - I'll try to remember...

Saxon Math (6th grade & Algebra2)
Bob Jones History (6th gr)
Switched-on-schoolhouse World History & Geometry (10th gr)
Easy Grammar
Bob Jones Science (6th gr & Biology) (didn't like the Biology, so I switched to Apologia Biology, also used!)

For literature, my oldest read and read and read. He loves to read, so that wasn't a challenge for him.

Bible is the most difficult subject to find good curriculum for. This actually caused us "resort" to Scripture reading and memorization (we memorized the first chapter of Ephesians). lol :chuckle:

Don't get us homeschool mommies started - we love to talk about it!

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bible is the most difficult subject to find good curriculum for. This actually caused us "resort" to Scripture reading and memorization (we memorized the first chapter of Ephesians). lol :chuckle:

We don't use a Bible curriculum. We just read the Bible and talk about it.

How did your kids do with comprehending what they memorized in Ephesians? That's pretty cool.

SaulToPaul 2

One of the beauties of homeschooling is that you have the freedom to teach how and what you want, according to the kids' needs. And unlike public schooling that finishes some subjects and moves on (think of geography, e.g.), leaving it mostly to fade from the kids' memories, in homeschooling we continue teaching until a particular subject is mastered. And along the way (and after), things are built on that so they are not forgotten (generally).

Do you give tests? Would 100% be considered mastered, or say 90%?

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Fantastic post, mmstroud!

Aw gee, thanks!

STP,
Regarding curriculum...
It's done according to the parents' philosophy. Some parents pick and choose different subjects on their own. Some parents choose a curriculum that has been put together by some entity like Abekka, etc.

Exactly! My youngest will probably have no interest in attending a 4 year college. Therefore, I'm not pushing on to Chemistry this year. We will take on Algebra 2, because he's a whiz at math. But for science, we're doing Astronomy! My oldest has a 10" Dobsonian telescope and while he's home from school, he's going to teach the youngest how to use it and give him a "star talk". What do you think he's more likely to remember - the periodic table of elements or the constellations?

Introducing Myth #5: You won't know that your kids are "up" with the rest of their age group if you don't have them tested.

I guess if your goal is that your student can fill in the same bubbles as the rest of their age group, this would be true!

The first year I homeschooled, I joined the umbrella at our former school, mostly because I was still afraid I would ruin my kids! One of the requirements was to participate in the standardized testing at the end of the year. I actually pulled out of the umbrella at that time because we had gone a different direction in a couple of subjects and therefore, hadn't "taught to the test". Since that time I've filed my own affidavit with the State of California. BTW, California has its issues, but it is one of the easiest states to homeschool in!

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber

I'll answer this one, too, if it's alright. For the past two years, I haven't administered a single test to my youngest. When we sat down to correct his Algebra, he had to correct every single missed problem. For one thing, it motivated him to take a little more time doing it the first time. For another, I could easily see where he was making his mistake. Was it carelessness (usually) or did he not understand the concept? I can say that even though he would still miss a few problems on a test, he has mastered Algebra - he understands the concepts completely.

This was the same for Spanish. If he missed something, I would let him look it up in the dictionary or watch his Rosetta Stone lesson again.

We took that approach to every subject. Wrong answers were just not an option. You always go back to find the right one! This is what I consider mastery.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

We do. Perhaps "mastered" wasn't the best word to use. They have to have a solid comprehension of the material; maybe that's a better way to put it. There's no specific score that determines this. If she gets 100% on math, then that's good. But if she arrived at a right answer the wrong way (accidentally, or she's not sure), then we still have to work on it. She could get a 90%, but the ones she got wrong were just from brain lapses on things that she knows well. So we could move on. Another of the beauties of homeschooling is that we can do this and not be dictated by pre-defined rules on the way things should be done. The education is tailor-made.

We are about to start with an approach called Classical Conversations. With this approach, our kids will be ready for college-level courses after 9th grade. That's not the reason for us doing it, but it's nice to know that they'll be well prepared should they opt for college one day.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll answer this one, too, if it's alright. For the past two years, I haven't administered a single test to my youngest. When we sat down to correct his Algebra, he had to correct every single missed problem. For one thing, it motivated him to take a little more time doing it the first time. For another, I could easily see where he was making his mistake. Was it carelessness (usually) or did he not understand the concept? I can say that even though he would still miss a few problems on a test, he has mastered Algebra - he understands the concepts completely.

This was the same for Spanish. If he missed something, I would let him look it up in the dictionary or watch his Rosetta Stone lesson again.

We took that approach to every subject. Wrong answers were just not an option. You always go back to find the right one! This is what I consider mastery.

Great approach!

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
We don't use a Bible curriculum. We just read the Bible and talk about it.

How did your kids do with comprehending what they memorized in Ephesians? That's pretty cool.

We dissected the entire chapter. They were already in 10th and 6th grades when we did that, and they'd already had a lot of Christian school, Sunday School, Church, and home discussions by then.

My oldest is hilarious - he was holding home Bible studies in our home with the neighborhood kids when he was in 6th grade! He totally got it from a very early age.

My youngest doesn't have a chance! When I start to explain something to him, he says, "I know, I know, Mom - Brett's my brother, remember?" And my husband is of the exact same ilk - we talk about Scripture and theology almost constantly. He (my son) and I read "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" (Norm Geisler, Frank Turek) last year, and also "Putting Amazing Back Into Grace" (Michael Horton) .

How old are your kids?

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Hey look at me! I finally got enough posts so that I could reveal my true self!

There's no need to fear - Underdog is here!

I have to skip out for a few hours - took on a summer job. Would love to pick up this conversation later. Particularly interested in Classical Conversations...

cdldblwing

I've been a public school teacher for 12 years now. The public school system is so good that my wife left her teaching job in order to homeschool our children. Praise the Lord.

I encourage everyone to take their kids out of PS.

By the way, I only got into teaching in the first place so that I could coach football.
And that's not much fun anymore so I've been looking for another type of work to do. Anyway, take your kids out of the PS.

cdldblwing

I've actually heard someone we go to church with use the excuse that her daughter "will not get to go to prom" as an excuse not to homeschool.

If I remember correctly, I think I responded with, "Exactly!"

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
I've been a public school teacher for 12 years now. The public school system is so good that my wife left her teaching job in order to homeschool our children. Praise the Lord.

I encourage everyone to take their kids out of PS.

By the way, I only got into teaching in the first place so that I could coach football.
And that's not much fun anymore so I've been looking for another type of work to do. Anyway, take your kids out of the PS.

You can probably imagine how many children of public school teachers we had at the Christian school when I was there!

How awesome that you decided to bring your wife and children home!