Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I love the movies. Film noir to musicals and everything in between. I've started favorite/best film threads in the past, but thought I'd run one that would let us discuss our favorites, fill people in on the best to be had in the moment and get excited about upcoming events.

Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley have begun filming their parts in the upcoming: Ender's Game movie. If you aren't familiar with the books penned by half the screen writing team for the project's Orson Scott Card and you like a good tale you should get to your local library or bookstore and take care of that.

This Hunger Games (hate the title) looks more and more interesting as the trailers release, but I don't know that much about it.

John Carter appears to be suffering a slump in the states, though it's doing good box office overseas. I think they made a tactical mistake in not using a known commodity for the leads.

So...feel free to discuss anything about the movies you want here.

Son of Jack

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did read The Hunger Games series. Collins is trying to make a very interesting point with the books, and I heard that the first movie is very faithful to the book. There were times when I felt like one had to be a young lady, struggling for her place in a pretty cruel world, in order to completely enjoy the series. However, the vast majority of the series is more universal in its scope. The writing isn't going to blow you away, but the story is quite good, and Collins creates a realistic ending to her tale. I'll be interested to see how well the movies are done.

Quincy

I used to watch a lot of movies but for some reason I only show up for the big name fantasy epics or the really oddball titles like Scott Pilgrim. I'm almost all dvd/blu ray in use too, hardly ever go to a movie theater. I've had a blu-ray player since the PS3 came out and here is my list of movies for it:

Gladiator
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Scott Pilgrim
The Walking Dead
Inception
Paranormal Activity 1, 2
The Matrix
Troy
Alexander
Despicable Me
True Blood
Underworld Series
Twilight Series (yes I admit it)

That is all I've picked up in as much as time as blu-ray has been out. I just don't think movies are as good as they were when I was growing up, or perhaps I have less imagination now. Perhaps. I'd rather play video games, they're more interactive. When I do find a movie I love I really enjoy it though, like 300. One of my favorites ever.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Meet Joe Black came on AMC HD the other day. Unbelievably good score to that one and one of my favorites. Has a terrific and complicated love triangle and is well cast all around.

When it first came out I thought it killed itself with a certain scene that happens right near the beginning. An off screen notice of it wouldn't have been as jarring. I spent too much of the film irked by it and settling back into the movie, distracted. The next time I watched it I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the film and the time after that I bought it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That is a good one TH, long but good. Got me hooked on peanut butter too. :noid:
:D Great scene. And Pitt really does a good job of playing something unaccustomed to finding itself in so narrowly focused a form. Everyone does a first rate job for that matter. And the score, especially effective for the key moments between the lovers, remarkably so at the end where he partially reveals his actual nature.

Darn good film. Glad you like it. :D

Arthur Brain

Anything but Westerns.

I just can't sit through a Western.

:plain:

Er....wait...

Prolly cos you're too busy changing avatars....:plain:

Anyhoooo, my current gripe with current cinema is the influx of 'reboots' etc. There's films less than 10 - 20 years old that are getting this 'makeover' treatment which is darn annoying. What is the point of 'remaking' 'Total Recall' to point to one such example? I know Hollywood is hardly renowned for originality as forte nowadays but this fad is overshadowing projects simply for bucks....

Quincy

Anyhoooo, my current gripe with current cinema is the influx of 'reboots' etc. There's films less than 10 - 20 years old that are getting this 'makeover' treatment which is darn annoying. What is the point of 'remaking' 'Total Recall' to point to one such example? I know Hollywood is hardly renowned for originality as forte nowadays but this fad is overshadowing projects simply for bucks....

It's ok Arthur. Very soon Robert Pattinson from Twilight will be staring in one of those remakes. Man, the best actor of our time :D. You'll love remakes then, buddy.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Every now and then I will see a movie that didn't get much press, if any.
But I grab it because it looks interesting.

One such move was The Boondock Saints.
It didn't get much press or reviews when it first came out.
So, it ended up in the $6 dump bin at the video store.
Bought it. LOVED it!
And I was thrilled when The Boondock Saints II came out. LOVED it too!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Two words: Spider-man. :plain:

Oh, the next Trek movie is under way as well.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Every now and then I will see a movie that didn't get much press, if any.
But I grab it because it looks interesting.

One such move was The Boondock Saints.
It didn't get much press or reviews when it first came out.
So, it ended up in the $6 dump bin at the video store.
Bought it. LOVED it!
And I was thrilled when The Boondock Saints II came out. LOVED it too!
Strangely attractive film, though the sequel...(shudders).

Quincy

Are you guys excited for Wrath of the Titans?! I am, I love this kind of stuff. I'm actually going to see that in theaters.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Watched Take Shelter the other night. Similar to Sixth Sense or Signs, but good.
That's one I have never heard of.
But I did like The Sixth Sense and Signs, so if it is similar I bet I will like it too.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Are you guys excited for Wrath of the Titans?! I am, I love this kind of stuff. I'm actually going to see that in theaters.
No, but I wasn't about the initial remake and still had to admit I liked it. Some films are that way with me. I'll probably like this one after the fact too. :D

Buzzword

I was recently re-introduced to The Lion King by finally getting around to seeing it on DVD.

I've had more and more trouble actually sitting through movies I see at home over the last few years.

My attention span just seems to be waning as I get older.

The Lion King held me for the whole thing, including tearing up again at Mufasa's death.

Bar none, Disney's greatest work.

Breathe

I love action movies - especially the ones not based on reality. We will probably go see this one, even though we were disappointed with the "after thought 3-D" of the first one.