Theology Club: For What Cause?

heir

TOL Subscriber
For what cause and for whom did Paul become a prisoner of Jesus Christ?

Ephesians 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Ephesians 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

Ephesians 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Ephesians 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Ephesians 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Ephesians 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Ephesians 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

Ephesians 3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

Ephesians 3:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.

Ephesians 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

Ephesians 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Ephesians 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

Ephesians 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

glorydaz

For what cause and for whom did Paul become a prisoner of Jesus Christ?

Ephesians 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Ephesians 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

Ephesians 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Ephesians 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Ephesians 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Ephesians 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Ephesians 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

Ephesians 3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

Ephesians 3:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.

Ephesians 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

Ephesians 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Ephesians 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

Ephesians 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

I would say to establish the Body of Christ...."one body by the cross"....that would include the gentiles.

Eph. 2:15-22 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.​

heir

TOL Subscriber
The cause:

Acts 20:22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

Acts 20:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Acts 22:17 And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance;

Acts 22:18 And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me.

Acts 22:19 And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:

Acts 22:20 And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him.

Acts 22:21 And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.

Acts 22:22 And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live.

Acts 22:23 And as they cried out, and cast off their clothes, and threw dust into the air,

Acts 22:24 The chief captain commanded him to be brought into the castle, and bade that he should be examined by scourging; that he might know wherefore they cried so against him.

glorydaz

The cause:

Acts 20:22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

Acts 20:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Acts 22:17 And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance;

Acts 22:18 And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me.

Acts 22:19 And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:

Acts 22:20 And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him.

Acts 22:21 And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.

Acts 22:22 And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live.

Acts 22:23 And as they cried out, and cast off their clothes, and threw dust into the air,

Acts 22:24 The chief captain commanded him to be brought into the castle, and bade that he should be examined by scourging; that he might know wherefore they cried so against him.

Well, I think I should get to say Bingo with my answer, too. :king:

Arsenios

The cause:

Here Paul affirms that he co-shares the revealed Mystery of Christ with His Holy Apostles and Prophets...

He makes no claim that He is the SOLE recipient of the revelation of this Mystery of Christ...

Arsenios

heir

TOL Subscriber
Here Paul affirms that he co-shares the revealed Mystery of Christ with His Holy Apostles and Prophets...

He makes no claim that He is the SOLE recipient of the revelation of this Mystery of Christ...

Arsenios

Ephesians 3:5 KJV "as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit" is set in contrast to "according to the scriptures" as the mystery of Christ is (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, 1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV).

Ephesians 3:6 KJV is the mystery of the gospel which is the dispensation of the grace of God to usward/ the "you Gentiles" (Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV). This mystery was unsearchable. It was not a mystery "according to the scriptures", but hid in God (Ephesians 3:9 KJV) before revealed to and through Paul. It was unto Paul that this grace was given (Ephesians 3:8 KJV)!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Arsenios

Act_13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

Act 14:14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

Are these of 'the twelve'?

heir

TOL Subscriber
I think Ephesians 3:6 KJV - is the why and the for. and to make known to all men

the cause and the who for -

Ephesians 3:6-7 KJV and 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Yes! Paul mentioned that Christ was going to send him far hence unto the Gentiles (Acts 22:21 KJV), and became a prisoner of Jesus Christ "for you Gentiles". :)

And the "all men" of verse 9 is in contrast (1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV, Titus 2:11 KJV) to Paul's first sending (Acts 26:17 KJV) to the Jew first and also to the Greek (Romans 1:16 KJV, 1 Corinthians 1:24 KJV).

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Arsenios

no, Paul told EVERYONE; ANYONE that would listen, he didn't take possession of the dispensations, he shared them ! he considered himself lower than the 12 - Acts 11:5 KJV - 2 Corinthians 12:11 KJV -

no, Paul didn't NEED to claim he was the sole recipient, the 12 recognized that Paul had special ONE OF A KIND Dispensations -

Acts 9:27 KJV - Acts 9:28-29 KJV - Acts 9:30 KJV -

Danoh

"For what cause and for whom did Paul become a prisoner of Jesus Christ?"

That's a loaded question, lol

Fact is, for the hope that God's Two-Fold Purpose: Prophecy (Earthly) and Mystery (Heavenly) were both made possible by - by the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord.

"Jesus Christ of the seed of David" Prophesied aspect of the Cross "was raised from the dead according to my gospel" Mystery aspect of the Cross.

Arsenios

Ephesians 3:5 KJV "as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit" is set in contrast to "according to the scriptures" as the mystery of Christ is (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, 1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV).

Ephesians 3:6 KJV is the mystery of the gospel which is the dispensation of the grace of God to usward/ the "you Gentiles" (Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV). This mystery was unsearchable. It was not a mystery "according to the scriptures", but hid in God (Ephesians 3:9 KJV) before revealed to and through Paul. It was unto Paul that this grace was given (Ephesians 3:8 KJV)!

"By revelation He made known unto me the Mystery...
as it is now revealed unto His holy Apostles and Prophets by the Spirit;"

He is merely acknowledging that His role is the preaching of the SAME MYSTERY which the Prophets and Apostles have NOW... Except that it is now being extended to the Gentiles directly without first having to become a Jew by circumcision and the Law...

The Twelve thought that to follow Christ one needed to become a good and Law abiding and circumcised Jew FIRST... This is the weaning from the Tutor, the Law, so that the Gentiles could have what the Christian Jews already had...

It is the EXTENSION of that VERY SAME Grace unto Salvation...

Not a popular view in this section, no question!

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

Act_13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

Act 14:14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

Are these of 'the twelve'?

Which ones?

Paul was, because he had received their blessing through Peter and, I believe, Iakovos, and maybe John? He went to Jerusalem to receive that blessing, "...Lest I had run in vain..." Herod's foster-brother was... The priests of Zeus, against whom these rent their clothes, were obviously not... Barnabas, through Paul, was...

Paul, you see, both before and after receiving the hand of fellowship from Peter in Jerusalem, was "of the 12", because of the remarkable nature of his conversion, and because he was baptized into Christ by Ananias, who was "of the 12"...

Why do you ask?

Arsenios

Arsenios

no, Paul didn't NEED to claim he was the sole recipient,
the 12 recognized
that Paul had special ONE OF A KIND Dispensations
-

Paul disagrees when he writes:

"...by revelation He made known unto me
the Mystery
as it is NOW revealed
unto His Holy Apostles and Prophets