Defining the concept of "the promises of God"

oatmeal

God has given to us many exceeding great and precious promises in His Word, the logos, the written word.

2 Peter 1:4
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Besides the books on the promises of God, English dictionaries and of course the word of God, that I have looked at, I am looking for additional input in helping to define "promises of God" in general. Ie, something similar to a dictionary definition but of course with scripture as its basis.

One author makes a distinction between warnings and promises. Promises being positive in nature.

Any thoughts?

oatmeal

I did not include much of what I have learned because I do not want to sway anyone's ideas.

Nor am I looking for debate, just input and discussion as needed

Thank you

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
God has given to us many exceeding great and precious promises in His Word, the logos, the written word.

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Besides the books on the promises of God, English dictionaries and of course the word of God, that I have looked at, I am looking for additional input in helping to define "promises of God" in general. Ie, something similar to a dictionary definition but of course with scripture as its basis.

One author makes a distinction between warnings and promises. Promises being positive in nature.

Any thoughts?
Eternal life in Paradise seems pretty good to me

oatmeal

Eternal life in Paradise seems pretty good to me
Yes, thank you.

However, I am not looking for specific promises but a general definition.

For example, a promise may be defined as a commitment to do or not to do something, or it could be defined as a reason for expecting something based on another's words

Right Divider

Body part

Any thoughts?
The term "promises of God" are simply promises that God made. I assume that you know what promise means.

The "US" in 2 Peter 1:4 refers to Israel. Peter was ONE of the TWELVE apostles that will sit on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.

One of the "exceeding great and precious promises" is a kingdom (in a land, i.e. a kingdom on earth [Matt 6:10]).
2Pet 1:11 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:11) For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

marke

Yes, thank you.

However, I am not looking for specific promises but a general definition.

For example, a promise may be defined as a commitment to do or not to do something, or it could be defined as a reason for expecting something based on another's words
Some promises of God are foretellings of events that will take place that not even God can stop from taking place.

oatmeal

The term "promises of God" are simply promises that God made. I assume that you know what promise means.

The "US" in 2 Peter 1:4 refers to Israel. Peter was ONE of the TWELVE apostles that will sit on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel.

One of the "exceeding great and precious promises" is a kingdom (in a land, i.e. a kingdom on earth [Matt 6:10]).
Ok, thank you.

I understand and have mulled over the concept of "promise" quite a bit. Both from the English dictionary definitions and scripture, but I not satisfied that I have the depth of understanding from God's point of view.

However, For the purpose of the work that I am doing, I am inclined to narrow my search to those promises that seem to be contractual in nature, and not include passages or verses that could be listed as "wise instruction"