Crow's pick 3-10-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

:first:[color=dark-blue]POTD philosophizer!:crow2:[/color]

:bow:Outstanding post, philosophizer!:bow:

Originally posted by philosophizer

There are those here and elsewhere that believe and assert that there are many paths that lead to God. They claim that it is narrowminded to think that only Christians are saved and the rest burn in hell.

And Christians refuting this will read off John 14:6, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.".

And this has been my approach too. Jesus said in no uncertain terms that He is the right path and the others are not. Sort of like: my way or the highway.

But I had a thought. And in pursuing this thought I entertained the idea all the other religions, paths and ways were actually leading to something.

What is the purpose of religion? I would say to seek a relationship with God. And so each different religion is a collection of different stories and suggestions that describe that relationship and explain how to better seek God so that we might eventually find Him.

So this is how all religions are supposed to be paths toward God. God is the goal at the end of the path and the journey is life (or lives with some religions). And these paths all intially reach the same result. They all reach for the same thing and all (including Christianity) initially find the same problem: God cannot be reached.

Every single religion's path leads, not to God, but to a gulf-- a separation from God. Every profound religious/theological/philosophical argument leads to this separation. We cannot really know God. He is above and we below. He is infinitely greater than we are. He is beyond comprehension. Unfathomable. Just read the book of Job to hear God himself saying this. We cannot approach him properly through any of these "paths." The gulf is insurmountable.

So every religion is a path to the same place, but not to God. Every religion leads to this canyon that separates us from God. But that is where Christianity differs. Yes all paths and religions do lead to this same place, but Christianity offers a way across. When Christ says that He is the way, truth, and life, he doesn't mean that other religions aren't trying to get to God. He means that He's the only way that works. Every religion tries to find God. All find themselves separated. But God came to earth as a man that we might know Him and by knowing Him, find a bridge across the canyon.

John 14:5-15 -- Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

Any thoughts?

:crow:CONTEXT

Crow

:first:POTD Grutch!:crow2:

:bow:OUTSTANDING!

Once in a while two posts really stand out in a single day. This is the other.

Originally posted by Grutch

I fully advocate the Death Penalty.

The Death Penalty as it currently stands is not a deterrent for many reasons. The timely appeals process keeps the criminal away from execution for many years. When he finally pays his price for justice, the execution is usually painless and quick.

We as a country spend an extraordinary ammount of money to house, feed, and clothe violent criminals. Not to mention all the extra ammenties they are granted, conjugal visits, cable tv, etc.

It's no suprise criminals don't fear the "Justice System".

A man or woman convicted of Murder should be Immediately transported to an execution chamber where he or she is hung, beheaded, or shot to death in a violent and painful manner. I assure you, this would certainly be a deterrant.

Deterrence really isnt the issue anyway. The true reason one should embrace the death penalty is that Justice is applied.

While we are on the topic of crime I should also note that I advocate public corporal punishment.

I believe certain minor crimes should be punishable by the caning or lashing. Imagine the Enron Executives getting the lash for their scandalous behaviour? The shame they would face publicly would be an example for society to recall.

This treatment could be applied to con artists, vandals, and drug traffickers.

I find it amazing that we call ourselves a more humane society as our government refuses to take the responsibility of Justice more seriously. The system today is laden with back door deals and money exchanges, its purpose is to line pockets and power positioning rather than dealing with criminal justice.

Prisons are Criminal training camps where the inmates are hardened and released back into society to rape our daughters and kill our brothers.

In recent news last November a young woman was accosted, raped and murdered by a released criminal. The law defended his "right" to remain silent as the police sought a resolution on the case.

This is one example out of hundreds of thousands of cases alone in this country which are the result of the "Soft on Crime" philosophy you express. You should be ashamed of yourself.

-Grutch

CONTEXT:BRAVO:

Status
Not open for further replies.